Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Swope's concussion woes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treece300e

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Swope's concussion woes. Reply with quote

I know there were a lot of people around this forum, myself included, that really wanted to see Swope in a Texans uniform. I was surprised he fell the way he did, but it seems that teams did their homework. It's really unfortunate, I really like the way he plays the game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213950/article/ryan-swopes-medicalrelated-absence-surprised-cards
kenney

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that he fell as far as he did and while I knew he'd had issues with concussions, I didn't think they were still lingering. I've known about this issue for awhile now though and I figure his playing days are done.

It also calls into question A&M's procedures following concussions to their players. The Aggies had a starting safety quit the team early on last season due to a concussion he suffered (Steven Campbell).

Swope is one of the greatest A&M receivers ever and since I've just moved to Phoenix I would have liked to go see him play, but I'd rather he air on the side of caution and call it a career if he has any doubts.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I was surprised that he fell as far as he did and while I knew he'd had issues with concussions, I didn't think they were still lingering. I've known about this issue for awhile now though and I figure his playing days are done.

It also calls into question A&M's procedures following concussions to their players. The Aggies had a starting safety quit the team early on last season due to a concussion he suffered (Steven Campbell).

Swope is one of the greatest A&M receivers ever and since I've just moved to Phoenix I would have liked to go see him play, but I'd rather he air on the side of caution and call it a career if he has any doubts.

Agreed. It's easy enough to verify that Swope played in all 13 games the past 3 years and 10 as a rookie. You can theoretically find enough schedule gaps in there to possibly account for "at least" 4 concussions without missing games, but that would mean some pretty spectacular timing when it comes to not missing games and certainly appears they let him play without proper recovery time. We need to start getting our verbiage right on this as this means they have let a player with a brain injury play football risking further BRAIN DAMAGE (not singling A&M out here as plenty of other schools do the same thing). As sickening as it was to watch Shanny continue to keep sending a hobbled RG3 out there until the inevitable traumatic knee injury occurred, sending a concussed player out there is far worse in the grand scheme of things and has to start being viewed like a coach or his staff handing the keys back to a player he knows to be too drunk to drive.

I've personally attended 90% of Swope's home games and watched him absorb more cringe-inducing hits than anyone I've eve seen, pro or college. His "toughness" was always appreciated by coaches, fans, teammates, and media but even over the course of the 4 years he was in school, all parties understanding of the line between toughness and needing to protect the damaged brain of athletes has evolved to the point where truly independent doctors need to have veto power over all others and I'm happy they are taking the time to do this right vs. feeling any pressure to get him on a practice field.

I've followed Ryan since his high school days at Westlake and met him several times over the course of his career here and I can tell you that he embodies all the positive qualities that you would ever want to see in an athlete and he makes it practically impossible not to root for him. Even when A&M was beating my beloved Baylor Bears, there was a part of me thinking, if we're going to lose, I'm glad he's the one doing it to us. Ryan is the type of guy who will be successful in anything he does and I really hope it is football, but I would much rather see him sit out a season and get the proper medical assurances of his safety to continue than again restart a concussion clock too soon or accumulate anymore hits AT ALL if he's deemed to have entered an area putting him at risk of lifelong consequences.

As much as I want to see the kid play football because he is a joy to watch, but when you connect with a player as a person and not just stats, or a uniform with a number, you actually care that he remains the smart, funny kid he is outside this game and understand that the true tragedy would be in diminishing that light he has in life, not if he misses a few months, a season, or even chooses to never catch another football.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: