Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AFC North Best 53 - WR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best WR
Torrey Smith
50%
 50%  [ 14 ]
Josh Gordon
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
Antonio Brown
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Emmanuel Sanders
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Greg Little
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 28

Thomas5737

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Gordan has #1 potential. I dont think smith does. And gordon proved last year hes as much of a vertical threat as smith.

Why doesn't Smith have #1 potential? Smith has all pro potential, he has freaky athleticism, and an amazing work ethic.

Smith led the league in drawn flags with 15, that's 300+ yards, and a couple of TD's that are missing from his stats. Even without the flags, Smith had superior stats to Gordon in pretty much every category in 15 games. Not to mention the Ravens had more quality weaopens to use in the passing game(Smith, Boldin, Pitta, and Rice) than the Browns which could've lowered his stats.

Does he have Russell Wilson work ethic though?

"He had more weapons along side him" can work for and against him. I can say Gordon had less weapons around him so he garnered more attention from defenses. You could also say Flacco is awesome and Weeden sucks to help Josh's argument, but i don't think there will be much of a seperation between the two QB's this year, so I won't use that.

As far as having superior stats, one less catch, 50 more yards and 3 more TD's isn't much superior. Smith didn't progress stat wise from year 1 to year 2. If Gordon (he will be missing the 1st two games of the season) takes a medium size step in year 2 and Smith continues to stay the course, it will be Gordon in a landslide next year at this time.

As far as this year, it is pretty close.

You pretty much ignored my main point, where I said Smith had 300+ Yards, and a few touchdowns missing from his stats. If we add onto his regular season stats, that's 1100+ Yards, and 9 TDs. He led the league in drawn flags with 15, that's more than some teams by themselves.

I don't know anything about Rusell Wilson's work ethic, but Torrey has amazing work ethic. He would wake up at 5 AM just to catch balls and run routes.

I don't care about flags thrown, I would have to look at and evaluate each penalty and I'm not going to do that. You are also assuming he makes every one of those catches and there is no way to prove that. He doesn't get those added on, sorry.

You don't care about flags drawn? Why? It's a legit stat. At the end of the day you're just choosing to ignore the fact that Torrey had a bigger impact than Josh Gordon last year. And even if he didn't couldn't catch all of those passes, he would certainly have most of them down.

It is a dumb stat. DPI being a spot penalty is a dumb rule. You are basing the yardage on what might have been, sometimes 40 yards down the field. That is like giving a defender an interception every time there is OPI.

Who is to say they were all legit calls? Too many questions to add them to a players repertoire. The Steelers fans will say James Harrison owns the sack record at 67 because he was held 52 times when he would have had a sack otherwise.

I just refuse to factor that into my assessment. I don't have an issue with anyone voting for Smith over Gordon, unless it is because of the number of flags defenses had thrown at them.

It's really not, why do you think DBs held him in the first place? Because they were getting burned, and knew that if they didn't hold him they would get beat. DBs don't just hold players for no reason. And in Smith's case it wasn't luck, he was annually getting held, he had more flags drawn than some team by themselves.

Here is one example of my point, this comes from am 1570 out of Baltimore talking about the replacemnt refs.
"In the same game, Devin McCourty was called for a phantom pass interference call on Torrey Smith when he barely grazed him within the first five yards off the ball. McCourty never rerouted Smith, and played good coverage on him, leveraging him to the outside making it virtually impossible to make any play on the ball… because of good defense, not pass interference."

Are you still tacking that penalty on? Also, as a team the Ravens had 243 yards in PI, I'm not sure how you can give Smith alone 300 yards.
bulldog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to throw some numbers out there. Take them however you want.

Torrey Smith (rookie Year)
Snaps- 910
Penalties- 2
Targets- 90
Rec- 50
Yards- 841
YAC/Rec- 4.8
Drops- 7
Missed tackles forced- 2

Josh Gordon
Snaps- 840
Penalties- 2
Targets- 89
Rec- 50
Yards- 805
YAC/Rec- 6.3
Drops- 4
Missed tackles forced- 6

Torrey Smith (2012)
Snaps- 947
Penalties- 6
Targets- 104
Rec- 49
Yards- 855
YAC/Rec- 4.9
Drops- 6
Missed tackles forced- 4

and lets not forget that Josh Gordan didn't play football for TWO years before he was taken in the supplemental draft.
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Gordan has #1 potential. I dont think smith does. And gordon proved last year hes as much of a vertical threat as smith.

Why doesn't Smith have #1 potential? Smith has all pro potential, he has freaky athleticism, and an amazing work ethic.

Smith led the league in drawn flags with 15, that's 300+ yards, and a couple of TD's that are missing from his stats. Even without the flags, Smith had superior stats to Gordon in pretty much every category in 15 games. Not to mention the Ravens had more quality weaopens to use in the passing game(Smith, Boldin, Pitta, and Rice) than the Browns which could've lowered his stats.

"He had more weapons along side him" can work for and against him. I can say Gordon had less weapons around him so he garnered more attention from defenses. You could also say Flacco is awesome and Weeden sucks to help Josh's argument, but i don't think there will be much of a seperation between the two QB's this year, so I won't use that.

As far as having superior stats, one less catch, 50 more yards and 3 more TD's isn't much superior. Smith didn't progress stat wise from year 1 to year 2. If Gordon (he will be missing the 1st two games of the season) takes a medium size step in year 2 and Smith continues to stay the course, it will be Gordon in a landslide next year at this time.

You pretty much ignored my main point, where I said Smith had 300+ Yards, and a few touchdowns missing from his stats. If we add onto his regular season stats, that's 1100+ Yards, and 9 TDs. He led the league in drawn flags with 15, that's more than some teams by themselves.

I don't know anything about Rusell Wilson's work ethic, but Torrey has amazing work ethic. He would wake up at 5 AM just to catch balls and run routes.

I don't care about flags thrown, I would have to look at and evaluate each penalty and I'm not going to do that. You are also assuming he makes every one of those catches and there is no way to prove that. He doesn't get those added on, sorry.

You don't care about flags drawn? Why? It's a legit stat. At the end of the day you're just choosing to ignore the fact that Torrey had a bigger impact than Josh Gordon last year. And even if he didn't couldn't catch all of those passes, he would certainly have most of them down.

It is a dumb stat. DPI being a spot penalty is a dumb rule. You are basing the yardage on what might have been, sometimes 40 yards down the field. That is like giving a defender an interception every time there is OPI.

Who is to say they were all legit calls? Too many questions to add them to a players repertoire. The Steelers fans will say James Harrison owns the sack record at 67 because he was held 52 times when he would have had a sack otherwise.

I just refuse to factor that into my assessment. I don't have an issue with anyone voting for Smith over Gordon, unless it is because of the number of flags defenses had thrown at them.

It's really not, why do you think DBs held him in the first place? Because they were getting burned, and knew that if they didn't hold him they would get beat. DBs don't just hold players for no reason. And in Smith's case it wasn't luck, he was annually getting held, he had more flags drawn than some team by themselves.

Here is one example of my point, this comes from am 1570 out of Baltimore talking about the replacemnt refs.
"In the same game, Devin McCourty was called for a phantom pass interference call on Torrey Smith when he barely grazed him within the first five yards off the ball. McCourty never rerouted Smith, and played good coverage on him, leveraging him to the outside making it virtually impossible to make any play on the ball… because of good defense, not pass interference."

Are you still tacking that penalty on? Also, as a team the Ravens had 243 yards in PI, I'm not sure how you can give Smith alone 300 yards.

You can use the replacement refs arguement in both sides really. In the eagles game Torrey burned DRC(Dominique Rodgers Cromartie) routinely, two times with Joe throwing him the ball. DRC was literally grabbing Torrey from under his uniform to his pads, and the replacement ref was right in front of them, yet he did nothing. Torrey had to literally get up from the ground, because DRC dragged him there, and fix his uniform afterwards.

And I just guessed that Torrey had around 300 yards of drawn flags. I assume that most of those PI yards were on Torrey.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem with "flags drawn" is Dez Bryant. Dude RAN INTO OUR DBS AND GOT A FLAG.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
bulldog wrote:

You can use the replacement refs arguement in both sides really. In the eagles game Torrey burned DRC(Dominique Rodgers Cromartie) routinely, two times with Joe throwing him the ball. DRC was literally grabbing Torrey from under his uniform to his pads, and the replacement ref was right in front of them, yet he did nothing. Torrey had to literally get up from the ground, because DRC dragged him there, and fix his uniform afterwards.

And I just guessed that Torrey had around 300 yards of drawn flags. I assume that most of those PI yards were on Torrey.

Jones had 7 pass interference calls against him, so he certainly gets some of that 243 yards. If we can call flags/officiating both ways, why don't we just eliminate it altogether from the conversation. I'm cool with that.
Entropy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
A problem with "flags drawn" is Dez Bryant. Dude RAN INTO OUR DBS AND GOT A FLAG.

I'm not really sure why anyone would try to argue to add penalty yardage to a player's stats as if it were yardage earned.

If you watch enough football, you see how inconsistent PI (and OPI) calls can be.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

I'm not really sure why anyone would try to argue to add penalty yardage to a player's stats as if it were yardage earned.

If you watch enough football, you see how inconsistent PI (and OPI) calls can be.

I know it was a rhetorical question, but I think one would do it to make up for stats that a player doesn't have to help their argument that they are superior to what the stats say. I would lean on his other arguments for Torrey first, not that they can't also be debated, but I think I personally would accept those points before the DPI calls.
Entropy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

I know it was a rhetorical question, but I think one would do it to make up for stats that a player doesn't have to help their argument that they are superior to what the stats say. I would lean on his other arguments for Torrey first, not that they can't also be debated, but I think I personally would accept those points before the DPI calls.

Yeah, and who knows, maybe Spelling will be an awesome #1 WR. But probably not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

I personally would lean towards him being an awesome complimentary receiver.
Entropy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

I certainly agree with that. Now the Ravens just need a WR that's good enough to occupy the opponent’s best CB while another WR gets about 50 catches against the #2 CB.

Hey, do you think there is any difference in getting PI calls versus the opposing #1 and #2 CBs?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
I'm just going to throw some numbers out there. Take them however you want.

Torrey Smith (rookie Year)
Snaps- 910
Penalties- 2
Targets- 90
Rec- 50
Yards- 841
YAC/Rec- 4.8
Drops- 7
Missed tackles forced- 2

Josh Gordon
Snaps- 840
Penalties- 2
Targets- 89
Rec- 50
Yards- 805
YAC/Rec- 6.3
Drops- 4
Missed tackles forced- 6

Torrey Smith (2012)
Snaps- 947
Penalties- 6
Targets- 104
Rec- 49
Yards- 855
YAC/Rec- 4.9
Drops- 6
Missed tackles forced- 4

and lets not forget that Josh Gordan didn't play football for TWO years before he was taken in the supplemental draft.

Bump

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

I certainly agree with that. Now the Ravens just need a WR that's good enough to occupy the opponent’s best CB while another WR gets about 50 catches against the #2 CB.

Hey, do you think there is any difference in getting PI calls versus the opposing #1 and #2 CBs?

Torrey is that guy, he was attracting the opposition's best CB, and double teams. Like I said before, I expect his numbers to go up this year with Boldin gone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

Torrey is that guy, he was attracting the opposition's best CB, and double teams. Like I said before, I expect his numbers to go up this year with Boldin gone.

Um...no, not really.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

Um...no, not really.

Well, if he was getting double teamed with Boldin there, I'd expect him to get triple teamed now that he is gone.

Unfortunately for Smith, all of the top tier WR's never draw extra coverage or the opposing teams #1 CB. Green, Johnson, and etc... are usually overlooked, that is why they put up such great numbers.(sarcasm)

Seriously, if you are now claiming he doesn't have elite stats because of coverage, Boldin leaving won't help that.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: