Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where the Lions stand as of now
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Where the Lions stand as of now Reply with quote

Team isn't practicing right now, but we basically have the majority of offseason moves completed. We've had rookie camp and OTAs. So where do the Lions stand?

Offense:

QB- Our QB situation is pretty solid without much change. Stafford is our franchise QB. Shaun Hill is currently still our #2. Stafford is entering his 5th season. His first two years were mared by injuries. He's played all 32 games the past two seasons and thrown for 10,000 yds, while leading the Lions to the first playoff appearance in over a decade. He needs some work on footwork, but I like what we have here.

2012- Stafford/Hill/Moore
2013- Stafford/Hill/Moore

Value Increase- N/A

WR- MEGATRON is a BEAST!! Behind him, we have Burleson coming off a leg injury, Ryan Broyles coming off a leg injury, rookie Corey Fuller, Mike Thomas, Brian Robiskie and Patrick Edwards all vying for a spot. We let go of Titus Young, who was productive when he played. Can our guys stay healthy? Who is going to step up?

2012- Calvin/Burleson/Titus/Broyles/Thomas/Robiskie/Durham
2013- Calvin/Burleson/Broyles/Fuller/Thomas/Edwards/Robiskie/Durham

Value Increase- Positive. Titus is addition by subtraction. Fuller/Edwards can make a splash for us. A lot depends on Burlesom/Broyles staying healthy though.

TE- This group has been the same for the past few seasons. While not as star studded and lauded as the Patriots TEs, Pettigrew/Scheffler have been productive for us and Heller was used in a minimal role but made plays occasionally, especially with blocking. Lions add two rookies in Michael Williams from Alabama and Joseph Fauria (as an UDFA) from UCLA. Both are big guys who can fill in for Will Hellers role. Fauria has the chance to oust one of our top two TEs when their contracts end next offseason.

2012- Pettigrew/Scheffler/Heller
2013- Pettigrew/Scheffler/Williams/Fauria

Value Increase- Unknown. The rooks have a legit chance to outproduce Will Heller, but as third/fourth string TEs their production will be minimal to start off. Still, we added depth at the very least.

RB- Lions really suffered last season without Jahvid Best. It's no coincidence that the Lions won 9 of the last 10 games Best played. Our offense was built around having that big play dual threat RB to feed off of Calvin. Jahvid Best opened up our offense even when he wasn't the one making plays, because teams had to account for him. When he was out, our offense became one dimensional and we suffered for that. Reggie Bush is the rich man version of Jahvid Best. This role is almost custom made for him to succeed. This FA signing was arguably the best fitting FA signing of the offseason. Mikel Leshoure is now over a full year removed from his Achilles injury and should be almost 100%. Joique Bell is solid. It'll be interesting to see if/how the Lions use rookie Theo Riddick. Will he be used as a FB? Will he see the field at all?

2012- Mikel LeShoure/Joique Bell
2013- Reggie Bush/Mikel LeShoure/Joique Bell/Theo Riddick

Value Increase- Positive. We added the best option for us and the missing piece in Reggie Bush and an intriguing option in Riddick without losing anything. We saw our goal line run game improve last season. If we can maintain that and get the big play action from Bush, we can have the balanced run game the Lions envisioned (but never saw come to light) when they drafted Best/LeShoure in back to back drafts.

OT- We saw one starting LT retire and another change teams in free agency. We did not add a significant OT this offseason, however, that does not necessarily mean we have glaring holes there. Lions drafted Riley Reiff in the first round last draft with the intent of him taking over for Backus at LT. They've also stuck by 4th round pick Jason Fox for the past few years while he got healthy and developed. This is their chance to show what they've got. They are young and unproven.

2012- Backus/Cherilus/Reiff/Fox/Hilliard
2013- Reiff/Fox/Hilliard/Waddle

Value Increase- Negative. At least for now. Our depth decreased rapidly, however, our starters might actually be better. Only time will tell. But as for now, the unknown cannot be seen as a positive.

OG- Stephen Peterman was cut after fans have been rallying for it for the past few seasons. Peterman commited more pre-snap penalties than he was even credited for. This was the one spot among the OL that people wanted an upgrade at the most. And that says a lot considering the fans "appreciation" for Backus, Cherilus and Raiola. Laughing Rob Sims however has been our best OL since he got here. Lions did what most fans clamored for and drafted G Larry Warford in the draft. Without taking Chance Warmack top 5, this was the best case scenario for Lions fans. Lions also signed Jake Scott for depth.

2012- Sims/Peterman/Gandy
2013- Sims/Warford/Scott/Gandy/Nagy

Value Increase- Positive. Even though Warford is a rookie, he's instantly better than what we had before in Peterman. Bill Nagy is also an intriguing young OL that could move into a depth role. Starting play will improve and we have solid depth.

C- Raiola. Laughing Apparently he's been "bulking up" this offseason. Rolling Eyes But he took a paycut and we're already starting 3 new guys along the line.

2012- Raiola
2013- Raiola

Value Increase- N/A.

Defense:

DE- Lions saw KVB retire and Cliff Avril leave in free agency. They also lost depth in Lawrence Jackson. This is the one unit on the team that doesn't have any starters returning and also lost the first guy off the bench. They did sign Veteran Jason Jones in FA and spent their #5 overall pick on Ezekiel Ansah out of BYU. Devin Taylor was added via 4th round pick. Willie Young and Ronnell Lewis are the only returning players.

2012- Avril/KVB/LoJack/Willie/Ronnell
2013- Ansah/Jones/Willie/Taylor/Ronnell

Value Increase- Negative. There is no way around this. Jason Jones might be able to provide the little production KVB gave us last season, but we are relying on a raw as hell project that has to learn how to play the game with Ansah. Despite not wanting to give Avril the money he wanted (turned down $10M per), we got considerably worse as of now and in the immediate future.

DT- We have arguably the best DT duo in the league. Suh and Fairley are both young players with tons of upside who are going to be around for awhile. I wish we did a better job of putting guys next to them this offseason, but we'll see what the DEs do. Corey Williams has not been re-signed. Sammie Hill left via free agency. We did add young vet C.J. Mosley.

2012- Suh/Williams/Fairley/Hill
2013- Suh/Fairley/Mosley

Value Increase- Unknown. Losing Hill hurts worse than losing Corey Williams. But making Fairley the full time starter next to Suh improved this unit. I'd still love to add another DT simply for depth purposes. Let's wait and see how this unit shapes up. Right now, it's up in the air, IMO.

LB- Our only significant difference at LB this year is Justin Durant leaving via FA and adding a 7th round pick in Brandon Hepburn. Durant was a starter for us and his spot is up for grabs, presumably between Travis Lewis and Ashlee Palmer. So far, Travis has gotten the majority of work there in OTAs.

2012- Tulloch/Levy/Durant/Lewis/Palmer/Whitehead
2013- Tulloch/Levy/Lewis/Palmer/Whitehead/Hepburn

Value Increase- Negative. Durant was good in run support but spent the majority of time in a Lions uniform injured and unable to play sideline to sideline. But there is no doubting that we lose depth at the position with him gone. We'll see if Lewis and/or Palmer can fill that void, but as of now, this unit has gotten weaker.

S- This is the unit we gained the biggest advantage in on defense. Adding a above average safety in Glover Quin to pair with a returning Louis Delmas, not only helps us with the starting unit, but pushes Amari Spievey to the bench for depth, where he should do well. This also allows us the opportunity to give a good look to Ricardo Silva since we won't need to vet presence of a guy like Don Carey.

2012- Delmas/Spievey/Wendling/Carey
2013- Delmas/Quin/Spievey/Silva/Wendling

Value Increase- Positive. Absolute upgrade. We lose nothing and gain a considerable upgrade at SS, and possibly on the bench with Spievey/Silva.

CB- The merry-go-round of our secondary. It's ever changing and never improving. The only good and constant thing in this unit is Chris Houston. Thank God we were able to re-sign him. Lions spent their highest pick yet in the Mayhew/Schwartz era on a CB in Darius Slay. Whom they took over the likes of Johnathan Banks. They obviously like what they see in him. We have three second year guys, although Greenwood was injured all season.

2012- Houston/Bentley/Green/Smith/Bartell//Granny Clampett/guy from Walmart
2013- Houston/Slay/Bentley/Green/Greenwood/Granny Clampett

Value Increase- Unknown. ALOT will depend on health. Everyone we have at CB had health issues last season, including Houston.

Special Teams:

K- Jason Hanson retired after 72 years in the NFL. I think he's a quitter. Mad David Akers and Kickalicious will duke it out to not live up to Hansons level.

2012- Jason Hanson G.O.A.T.
2013- Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum

Value Increase- Negative.

P- Nick Harris sucked. We drafted a guy.

2012- Nick Harris
2013- Sam Martin

Value Increase- Unknown. It's hard to be worse than Harris, despite his touchbacks. Depending on a rookie punter.

LS- Don Muhlbach is a pro-bowl LS. Wink What else needs to be said?!?

2012- Don Muhlbach
2013- Don Muhlbach

Value Increase- N/A

PR/KR- Stefan Logan is gone. Maybe we can get a guy who can fair catch a ball?

2012- Stefan Logan
2013- who knows

Value Increase- Positive.

What do you think of our offseason? Where do you think we stand, as of now? What would you like to see the Lions address before the start of the season?
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a closer.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
rocket

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread homie. I see Broyles becoming the #2
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything but the DE's and LB's.

Avril was solid last year, but we all know KVB was downright horrible. And this whole notion that Ansah is some type of project pick is overblown. The guy already has football instincts. He may need time to reach HIS ceiling, but he is already a significant upgrade over KVB. Id say Avril to Jones is a downgrade. I would call the DE's a wash myself.

And Durant was such a liability in the pass game, that I think it almost negated whatever good he brought in the run game. I would call that a wash as well.

Good write ups otherwise.

IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of the write ups. I think you undervalue Ansah and Jason Jones a little bit, and I think you're overrating the loss of Durant. Other than that I really like the analysis.

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome writeup. No doubt the loss at DE is HUGE. Zero doubt. I think Jones is the best DE we added short term though. He is underrated

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
I like most of the write ups. I think you undervalue Ansah and Jason Jones a little bit, and I think you're overrating the loss of Durant. Other than that I really like the analysis.

I agree.

Considering Ansah is penciled in as the starting RDE, I believe he will be an upgrade over KVB, and while Jones won't put up those 9 sacks left by Avril but I feel the defensive line as a whole plays better.

The one who I feel is lost in all of this is Ronnell Lewis. I really don't see where he fits.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I agree.

Considering Ansah is penciled in as the starting RDE, I believe he will be an upgrade over KVB, and while Jones won't put up those 9 sacks left by Avril but I feel the defensive line as a whole plays better.

The one who I feel is lost in all of this is Ronnell Lewis. I really don't see where he fits.

Not sure how a rookie DE that is raw is immediate upgrade. That is nonsense. It takes players a while to adjust to the game. Long term he may be but short term it's easy downgrade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I agree.

Not sure how a rookie DE that is raw is immediate upgrade. That is nonsense. It takes players a while to adjust to the game. Long term he may be but short term it's easy downgrade

You really think Ansah will be worse this year than KVB was last year?

detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I agree.

I think it's going to take him time to adjust to nfl talent and experience yes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I agree.

Never said it would be immediate as in Week 1 however I believe it will show to be as the season progresses.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I agree.

KVB was arguably the worst starting DE in the league last year.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I agree.

Even if this was true which I think there were worse a rookie is arguably worse from day 1 then an avg or below avg vet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I agree.

Even if this was true which I think there were worse a rookie is arguably worse from day 1 then an avg or below avg vet

Name some DEs you think were worse.

Frankly, 3.5 sacks from an end playing in the wide nine next to two of the better DTs in the league is abysmal. And he was worse against the run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: