Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Move We Did Not Make This Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPFINUK wrote:
One that I was a little disappointed didn't sign was Michael Bennett who ended up with the Seahawks. Maybe we didn't go after him too hard because of the plan to trade up for Jordan

It was rumored that Bennett is injured

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Burnett would've made sense & jettison Dansby. It was overkill to spend on Wheeler & Ellerbe. Neither will impact 3rd Down, unless you believe inside blitzing warrants those contractual commitments.

Brent Grimes is rebounding from a Torn Achilles. Hopefully he's healthy. The secondary wasan issue last year, and many of the issues have to do with scheme. Requiring press man guys to play Off-Coverage. Similarly, the new staff required Man Blocking Linemen to Zone Block. I don't disagree as much on transitioning to ZBS or Combination Schemes, but the shift in the secondary is irritating.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Keeping Burnett would've made sense & jettison Dansby. It was overkill to spend on Wheeler & Ellerbe. Neither will impact 3rd Down, unless you believe inside blitzing warrants those contractual commitments.

Brent Grimes is rebounding from a Torn Achilles. Hopefully he's healthy. The secondary wasan issue last year, and many of the issues have to do with scheme. Requiring press man guys to play Off-Coverage. Similarly, the new staff required Man Blocking Linemen to Zone Block. I don't disagree as much on transitioning to ZBS or Combination Schemes, but the shift in the secondary is irritating.

It seems to me Ellerbe was brought in more for his coverage skills, he was pretty good in pass coverage throughout the playoffs....particularly against the Pats.
Wheeler got into the Offensive backfield some last season, but he is known to be a very good coverage LB.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:

Grimes is pretty clearly healthy by virtue of his performance in OTAs. They wouldn't have given him what they did if they weren't confident in his health. It's a risk, but a calculated risk. A healthy Grimes is a Pro Bowl player.

I question whether you understand how the economics of the NFL work. Wheeler and Ellerbe are a combined 6 years younger than Burnett and Dansby and a better fit for what the Dolphins want to do, which is why they made the move. Their contracts are guaranteed for roughly $27 million. Dansby and Burnett would have counted for $14 million this year alone, and $20+ million next year, or $5 million-ish to cut. By comparison, Ellerbe and Wheeler count about $19 million combined for this year and next.

They've signed younger, more athletic linebackers, who they believe are a better fit for their defensive philosophy, and they signed them LESS money annually than they were paying their predecessors. They are currently around $16 million under the cap, and even after signing some camp bodies, Jordan, and possibly Leach, they still stand to be $14 million under by opening day, possibly even less depending on what happens with Carpenter, Patterson, and some others. So I'm having a hard time understanding what all this financial commitment concern is about.

If you don't think they signed the right linebackers, that's one thing, but they were going to pay SOMEBODY, and they're paying these guys less than the last guys. By the same token, you can question what cornerback they signed, but you can't say that signing Wheeler and Ellerbe prevented them from signing a starting cornerback and DT depth when a) they signed a starting cornerback, b) they signed DT depth, and c) they still have $14-17 million in cap space.
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should have kept Dansby and tried harder to bring in an LT, with the second being way more important.

I really like Dashon Goldson, but I understand why we wouldn't sign him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: