Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Move We Did Not Make This Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: The Move We Did Not Make This Offseason Reply with quote

The Dolphins have been very active this offseason. The team signed a lot of free agents. Miami was active on draft day with trades. We still have cap space and still may do a few more moves. However, was there a move we failed to do that you would have liked Miami to have made?

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 2, Tackles 4 Assists 2

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 2 : Death 10 Joe 7
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could still happen, but I want somebody with experience to backup Lamar. I'm a huge U fan, so I love him as a RB, but you can never have too many good backs. I fully expect Gillislee to get second string reps. Daniel Thomas always seems to be banged up and runs straight up and down. That all being said, I think Lamar Miller will rush for over 1,000 yards and get double digit TDs combined.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I think a lot of us would be thrilled if they managed to sign a bonafide franchise left tackle (at a remotely reasonable price).
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted to see Miami cough up a draft pick and sign Ravens RFA TE Dennis Pitta. He's going to absolutely take off, more than he did last year.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have liked more picks at oline. I still think that is what will limit us on offense throughout the year. Still though, amazing off-season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Jeff Ireland.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have liked a bigger back like Michael Turner who is still available. I would have also liked to grab FS Goldson

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were multiple players I wished we had gone after, but mostly I would have liked to have seen competition brought in for the LT position that was likely to push Jonathan Martin, there are others, but that is the one that sticks out to me as the single most important.
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2014 draft should be interesting. We could go in a bunch of directions in the 1st round, either out of weakness or free agents that are leaving.
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most seem to be saying, Putting all our eggs in Martins basket is going to be a make or break decision. I would have preferred to have brought in a quality LT to compete with him.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a lot of you, I wanted some assurance at the LT spot but I understand the Fins take. At some point you have to rely on your past draft picks. While Brandon Albert is an upgrade over Jonathan Martin, it would would not have beneficial to the team because Martin is a better LT than RT. I love the Tyson Clabo pickup. I am just keeping my fingers crossed everyone can just remain healthy.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of people say vague responses. Who specifically would you like to have seen us draft or bring in to compete at LT? Would you like to have seen us take Johnson at the top of the first round? Or was there a FA you wanted to see us grab?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap Wheeler & Ellerbe signings entirely. Paid top dollar for non premium positions. Sign an Edge Rusher (Paul Kruger) & then select Lane Johnson in the draft. Add LBs via Free Agency, but at market rate. The degree to which the Dolphins overpaid the market for Wheeler & Ellerbe is startling. I would've kept either Dansby or Kevin Burnett. Via Free Agent, I would've been interested in Jonathan Casillas (NO- signed w/ Tampa Bay).

There weren't alot of UFA Linebackers available. In contrast, the Cornerback Market was the deepest it's been in years. It forced the contracts these guys signed down significantly. Rather than addressing Cornerback in Round 2 w/ Jamar Taylor, I would've used 1 2nd Rounder to add a Linebacker.

In terms of Tight End, pass on Dustin Keller altogether. Injuries & not a quality blocker. One year stop gap. I would've done all in my Power to land Gavin Escobar, who I feel will be a star.

My goal entering the draft would've been to come away with a Left Tackle, Gavin Escobar or a Linebacker. I wold've completely avoided overpaying for Wheeler & Ellerbe. Their combined resource commitment would sign Paul Kruger, a Starting Caliber Cornerback & left money to add depth at Defensive Tackle.
DPFINUK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that I was a little disappointed didn't sign was Michael Bennett who ended up with the Seahawks. Maybe we didn't go after him too hard because of the plan to trade up for Jordan
Warpticon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Scrap Wheeler & Ellerbe signings entirely. Paid top dollar for non premium positions. Sign an Edge Rusher (Paul Kruger) & then select Lane Johnson in the draft. Add LBs via Free Agency, but at market rate. The degree to which the Dolphins overpaid the market for Wheeler & Ellerbe is startling. I would've kept either Dansby or Kevin Burnett. Via Free Agent, I would've been interested in Jonathan Casillas (NO- signed w/ Tampa Bay).

There weren't alot of UFA Linebackers available. In contrast, the Cornerback Market was the deepest it's been in years. It forced the contracts these guys signed down significantly. Rather than addressing Cornerback in Round 2 w/ Jamar Taylor, I would've used 1 2nd Rounder to add a Linebacker.

In terms of Tight End, pass on Dustin Keller altogether. Injuries & not a quality blocker. One year stop gap. I would've done all in my Power to land Gavin Escobar, who I feel will be a star.

My goal entering the draft would've been to come away with a Left Tackle, Gavin Escobar or a Linebacker. I wold've completely avoided overpaying for Wheeler & Ellerbe. Their combined resource commitment would sign Paul Kruger, a Starting Caliber Cornerback & left money to add depth at Defensive Tackle.

I'm confused. If you would have not signed Wheeler or Ellerbe, but kept one or both of Burnett and Dansby, and your reasoning is cost...you do know the Dolphins saved 10 million this year vs. keeping them, right? And I'm pretty sure they did sign a starting caliber cornerback and depth at defensive tackle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: