Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brent Celek?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Brent Celek? Reply with quote

At first look at might seem going overboard by trading for a TE at this point but lets face facts, Hernandez will probably at best case miss 4 games due to a suspension even IF he's not involved, just for damaging the league's image, and he will probably lose a lot more time than that, possibly seasons if he's indicted in his alleged crimes.

There is a strong chance that Gronkowski will start the season on PUP to get to full health and then football, plus as much as i hate to say that and hope it's not the case, there is the chance those injuries will keep piling on as he can't seem to shake the injury bug recently.

Jack Ballard is coming off a big-time injury and only really has his rookie season with the Giants on his resume, Daniel Fells sucks terribly and Michael Hoomanawanui is average talent that is more of a fit as an H-Back that a traditional TE. [also skills-set wise, he's basically just a blocker]

Zach Sudfeld and Brandon Ford are undrafted rookies, and yes, although Sudfeld has been lighting it out in camp, the thought of him been our number one TE on week 1 is scary, by the way he also had injury and production issues.

It seems that Brent Celek is on the outs in Philly, the last rotoworld update:

Quote:
Coach Chip Kelly said Brent Celek's strength is his blocking.
Kelly isn't impressed by the 280 catches, 3,473 yards and 20 touchdowns Celek has compiled in his six-year Eagles career. "We're trying to teach him to be a composite receiver ó to read coverages, to read intermediate-level routes and to do things that he hasnít done a lot of," Kelly said. With Zach Ertz and James Casey in town, Celek isn't even on the TE2 radar this season.

Also the Eagles just drafted Zach Ertz in the 2nd round and signed James Casey from the Texans in free-agency.

Celek is signed to a manageable $3.25M in 2013 and $4M in 2014 [those numbers can be re-worked] his current contract runs until 2017.

Should the Patriots make a move if it only costs them a 4th round pick?
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exploring veteran options makes sense at some point but I think they'll let things play out a bit more. If Ballard looks healthy early in camp, I doubt they would make a move. If he's still limping, they'll need to kick the tires on external options.

To your point, yes I'd take Celek for a 4th if and only if Hernandez goes to jail. If he somehow gets off with only a 4-8 game suspension, I'd probably avoid a trade unless it was very cheap.
Babylon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I mean, once Hernandez is arrested then it's clearly panic time, and a move as clean as that would be fine.

Heck, I was half joking earlier about bringing in Lloyd and Moss just to have some kind of reliable non-plexiglass veterans around.

The 2006 Pats defense isn't walking through that door, and this is potentially a very poor receiving cast to be saddling an aging superhuman QB with.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob Tamme could be had for a 3rd probably...had 50+ catches last year

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:

3rd for Tamme?

Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:

3rd for Tamme?

Yeah seriously. Wouldn't give up more than a late 5th for Tamme. Honestly, might prefer to see what the Hoomanawanui/Fells/Sudfeld trio can do.
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't trade Celek for a 4th. I just think he could help this team more than any 4th round pick would in the next few years at least. I'm not the one calling those shots though.
JayAp07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNabbMcFadden wrote:
I personally wouldn't trade Celek for a 4th. I just think he could help this team more than any 4th round pick would in the next few years at least. I'm not the one calling those shots though.

Agreed. His value to us would be far more than what a team would likely be willing to pay. He is still our TE1 and with Chip saying he wants to run a lot of 2 TE sets it only makes him that more important.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
jofos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brent Celek? Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
At first look at might seem going overboard by trading for a TE at this point but lets face facts, Hernandez will probably at best case miss 4 games due to a suspension even IF he's not involved, just for damaging the league's image, and he will probably lose a lot more time than that, possibly seasons if he's indicted in his alleged crimes.

There is a strong chance that Gronkowski will start the season on PUP to get to full health and then football, plus as much as i hate to say that and hope it's not the case, there is the chance those injuries will keep piling on as he can't seem to shake the injury bug recently.

Jack Ballard is coming off a big-time injury and only really has his rookie season with the Giants on his resume, Daniel Fells sucks terribly and Michael Hoomanawanui is average talent that is more of a fit as an H-Back that a traditional TE. [also skills-set wise, he's basically just a blocker]

Zach Sudfeld and Brandon Ford are undrafted rookies, and yes, although Sudfeld has been lighting it out in camp, the thought of him been our number one TE on week 1 is scary, by the way he also had injury and production issues.

Quote:
Kelly isn't impressed by the 280 catches, 3,473 yards and 20 touchdowns Celek has compiled in his six-year Eagles career. "We're trying to teach him to be a composite receiver ó to read coverages, to read intermediate-level routes and to do things that he hasnít done a lot of," Kelly said. With Zach Ertz and James Casey in town, Celek isn't even on the TE2 radar this season.

Also the Eagles just drafted Zach Ertz in the 2nd round and signed James Casey from the Texans in free-agency.

Celek is signed to a manageable $3.25M in 2013 and $4M in 2014 [those numbers can be re-worked] his current contract runs until 2017.

With players having a history of not being able to pick up the Patriots play book I'm not sure he would be a very good option.
patman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brent Celek? Reply with quote

jofos wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Quote:

With players having a history of not being able to pick up the Patriots play book I'm not sure he would be a very good option.

Why is that, and what TEs had difficulty picking up the system?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brent Celek? Reply with quote

patman wrote:
jofos wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Quote:

Why is that, and what TEs had difficulty picking up the system?

Because if Chip Kelly is saying that they will have to teach Celek how to read coverages and read intermediate routes, chances are he wouldn't be able to slide seamlessly into the Pats scheme - which requires all of the receivers to be above average (or better) at reading defenses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: