Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hernandez charged with murder - Released by Pats
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webmaster

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Hernandez charged with murder - Released by Pats Reply with quote

I've been asked to reopen the Aaron Hernandez discussion. I'll keep this open as long as members can keep the discussion on topic and football related. How does this news affect the Patriots? How will they replace Hernandez if he is arrested?

Do not use this topic as an excuse to discuss law and order, drugs, or other non-football topics. Do not use this topic to troll the Patriots. Do not post memes or jokes.

Quote:
New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez has not been ruled out as a suspect in the execution-style murder of a semi-pro football player, law enforcement sources told ABC News on Thursday.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9406722/aaron-hernandez-new-england-patriots-not-ruled-suspect-abc-news
Quote:
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So say the Patriots have to start the season without both Gronk AND Hernandez. In an off-season where they already lost Welker and Woodhead, are they in a good enough position with the few acquisitions they made to actually replace the cumulative production of all those players?

Because regardless of who is at quarterback, even if it is the mighty Tom Brady, I'm not quivering in my boots at the thought of having to defend the likes of Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Michael Jenkins, and Michael Hoomanawanui.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
So say the Patriots have to start the season without both Gronk AND Hernandez. In an off-season where they already lost Welker and Woodhead, are they in a good enough position with the few acquisitions they made to actually replace the cumulative production of all those players?

Because regardless of who is at quarterback, even if it is the mighty Tom Brady, I'm not quivering in my boots at the thought of having to defend the likes of Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Michael Jenkins, and Michael Hoomanawanui.

Interesting question. I just read this article recently: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213220/article/tom-brady-patriots-in-trouble-minus-rob-gronkowski

Quote:
From a statistical standpoint, Tom Brady was Aaron Rodgers when Rob Gronkowski was on the field last season and Andy Dalton when the All-Pro tight end was sidelined.

Of course I'm not trying to say Brady will turn into Dalton now, but you are right that without both TE's (or one) things are going to be tough...

Last edited by TheVillain112 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CallMeBarrett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Hernandez is removed from the field for a long period of time along with Gronk, if at all, I'm sure the position would need an immediate upgrade throughout training camp. I'm not too familiar with their roster, but I remember hearing that Fells and Ballard were slated to be decent situational players next year?

Wouldn't count out seeing something like Full House set with Ridley/Tebow/Vereen/Bolden/TEs either.

The media will feast on this as much as they can. Prepare.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with all the other losses for the Patriots in this regard, people need to set up, but of course it is right to expect a significant level of drop off overall. They still have the talent to be good across the board, but until they prove otherwise, no one is going to be sweating the Patriots beating them with physical talent in the passing game at this point. That said, timing and precision can be more important, and with Brady, they'll always have the ability to have that in a way few other teams/QBs can ever touch.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he misses any kind of time it's a huge blow for the Pats. Gronk has to different issues that could resurface and may not even be ready to start the year. Just such a waste of a young, ascending talent. Sad.

Patriots pass catching corp is bottom of the league without Gronk and Hern. They will be hurting in that area if both miss time.

Kempes on the custom sig!
imani

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MODS-Are we able to discuss tangible details around the case and how it relates to how big this could be?

The reason I'm asking is I'm not really clear as to what has come out or what's really going on. I read a report that items were destroyed and cleaners were hired but I'm not really sure what that means or how it pertains to things as a whole. Are things like that outside the realm of this news topic if we remove speculation from the discussion?

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw on NFL live that his phone was smashed, security system destroyed, and had a cleaning crew clean his house recently...seems off to me.

It would suck for the Pats if he can't play for them, he is one of the better TE's in the game.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
green24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Webby. I hope this thread can stay open.

I would be surprised if Hernandez (or Gronk for that matter) are lining up for the Patriots during Week 1.
kmvoss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking more and more like they will be without either TE's to open and that is going to be huge. Even a few games could be a big deal.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're still heavy favorites to win the division unless Miami does something spectacular with Tannenhill taking a huge leap.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offseason has been pretty much a nightmare from start to finish.
I just hope it means Belichick will stop taking advice from Urban Meyer for good.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, if he faces jail time, he'll miss game action. Will he be suspended indefinitely though is my question. Also, what if he doesn't end up convicted, will the NFL still use behavioral conduct as a reason for him to miss part of, if not all of, the season?

Right now this story is mostly limited to sports media, but once it gets featured on more prominent outlets, you have to imagine that fan/sponsor reaction will come into play.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need a weapon. Nobody is scared of their current crop without Gronk and Hernandez, and even Tom Brady needs SOME help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's one thing that the Patriots have excelled at over the last six to 10 years, it's the ability to shift offensive philosophy as a result of roster change. I think they'll be alright if they are in fact without Hernandez and/or Gronkowski for an extended period of time.

But, at the same time, look at their WR depth:

Kamar Aiken
Danny Amendola
Josh Boyce
Aaron Dobson
Julian Edelman
Mark Harrison
Lavelle Hawkins
Michael Jenkins
Donald Jones
Matthew Slater
Kenbrell Thompkins

That doesn't inspire too much confidence.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 1 of 99

Jump to: