Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp - Tom Brady fine after injury in practice
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Training Camp - Tom Brady fine after injury in practice Reply with quote

Updates 7/29:

Quote:
The Patriots conducted their first practice of training camp on the game field at Gillette Stadium on Monday night in front of a crowd of 20,543.

Below are some observations from the full-pads practice that followed the induction of both Tedy Bruschi and longtime radio voice Gil Santos into the team's Hall of Fame.

1. Bolden absent. Running back Brandon Bolden was absent from practice for the first time in training camp, though the reason behind his absence is unknown. In addition, defensive lineman Armond Armstead was not spotted (the team later announced he recently had surgery to remove an infection; his timetable to return is unknown). Defensive tackle Cory Grissom was spotted on the field for the first time in training camp, though he was not dressed to participate. Same goes for tight end Rob Gronkowski, wide receivers Julian Edelman and Mark Harrison, and offensive lineman Nick McDonald.

2. Vereen, Blount work special teams. Based off the early part of his career, we didn't suspect LeGarrette Blount would figure prominently -- if at all -- into the special teams mix here in New England. But he's been spotted on the kickoff return team, and he and Shane Vereen got some work in core special teams unit drills tonight as well. With five running backs in the mix to make the roster, special teams will be a major consideration for each player's candidacy.

3. Edge-setting blocking focus. Defensively, the Patriots rely on setting the edge on each and every down. By that measure, the team got in its work on edge-setting blocking and defending drills, with the wide receivers squaring off against the cornerbacks and the tight ends facing off against defensive ends, outside linebackers and in-the-box safeties. On every play the Patriots will have a player responsible for setting the edge on either side of the defense, making it a priority to work on with every practice.

4. Bruschi addresses team. Following his induction into the team's Hall of Fame, Tedy Bruschi was brought on to the field by Bill Belichick to address the team. Several players shared extensive praise and admiration for Bruschi during pre- and post-practice remarks.

5. Newtown visitors. The Patriots also announced that a special group of visitors from Newton, Conn., was in attendance at tonight's practice. The team made a trip to Newtown earlier this year to conduct a football clinic for children.

6. Tebow works on special teams. Tim Tebow was used as a personal protector on the punt team, something he was asked to do in New York with the Jets. He also was used as a member of the scout team during other punt and punt return repetitions. It appears the Patriots are making using of his movement skills in any applicable drill.

7. Dowling's length pays off. Here's what is unique about cornerback Ras-I Dowling: He's such a long defensive back that even when he doesn't necessarily extend his arms or blanket an opposing receiver, he can still maintain tight coverage. Dowling's length influences the window a quarterback has to throw into, and even when he stays within a half-stride of a wideout, it's difficult for receivers to out-leverage him at the point of catch. He had, in our estimation, his best practice session of camp.

8. Talib shines too. Dowling was good, but Aqib Talib was probably the best defensive back on the field tonight, as he recorded two interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown (thrown by Tom Brady, intended for Kenbrell Thompkins along the right sideline). Talib's ability to muscle up in competitive catch situations has led to a handful of breakups thus far in camp.

9. Hightower gets more edge work. We saw Dont'a Hightower take some reps in one-on-one pass rushing drills on Sunday, and then we saw him take that edge work to another level, as he had some rushes and blitzes off the edge in team drills on Monday night. Will be interesting to see if that continues into the season.

10. Boyce's lateral movements. Wasn't a particularly good night for the offense on the whole, but the lateral movements and elusiveness of rookie wideout Josh Boyce caught my eye. It's hard to make a comparison to a recent Patriots receiver that he reminds of, but he appears to have polish to his game. If he can make defenders miss in the open field, the Patriots may turn to him on tear and bubble screens.

11. Odds and ends. Rookie safety Duron Harmon registered his first training camp interception... Rookie CB Brandon Jones earned high marks in tackling drills with a clean form tackle... Offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer and defensive end Rob Ninkovich worked extensively after practice on one-on-one rushing drills... Tough night for rookie wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins, who had a pair of drops. He turned 25 today.

Updates 7/28:

Quote:
Pats practice just wrapping up. First day in pads--lots of team battles, but individual battles between CBs and WRs highlight day.

Quote:
Aqib Talib has broken up a few passes in these one on one drills and looks strong today.

Quote:
Troy Brown hanging around with the wide receivers. WRs were working on getting off press-man coverage. Boyce looked fantastic every time.

Quote:
Patriots practice concluding. One top takeaway: Starting RG Dan Connolly (shoulder) not yet cleared for full contact.

Quote:
Context with Dan Connolly's health status ties in to Marcus Cannon getting more top reps at RG. Cannon sharp in 1-on-1s.

Quote:
Tebow ends practice with a long TD pass to a diving Kenbrell Thompkins.

Quote:
Practice over. Really getting an appreciation for Amendola and Dobson. Amendola so technical and sound. Dobson very smooth, always open

Quote:
Watched pass-rushers and OL closely. Chandler Jones a standout among rushers. Cannon & Ryan Wendell tops along OL.

Quote:
Fun to watch 1-on-1s when LG Logan Mankins squares off against DL Vince Wilfork. Wilfork gets edge today.

Quote:
Great day for Dennard, horrible day for Dowling. Wilfork dominated Mankins in 1-on-1. Practice ended on a 50 yard TD from Tebow to Thompkins

Quote:
Ridley fumbled twice in about 10 minutes. Wilfork blew up both plays. Jones forced first fumble.

Quote:
Also bad day for Ridley with two fumbles, including one on goal line (Wilfork strip). Ran length of field each time as punishment

Quote:
Jamie Collins forced a Daniel Fells fumble in 1-on-1s.

Quote:
Nice practice for Kyle Arrington, who got more reps as the right corner.

Quote:
Similar practice for Tim Tebow as Friday and Saturday. Once again takes part in run-after-catch drill, the only QB to do so.

Quote:
With first practice in full pads, much more emphasis on the running game.

Quote:
Stevan Ridley & LeGarrette Blount the two RBs to carry in goal-line running drills.

Quote:
RCB Kyle Arrington with long INT in end zone, running stride for stride with WR Aaron Dobson and turning to snare TB12 pass (under-throw).

Quote:
Highlights of 1 on 1 drills included Tommy Kelly throwing Chris McDonald to ground in battles between linemen

Quote:
Check that, Connolly was jogging off to the side by himself in second half of practice.

Quote:
Talib and Amendola matched up frequently in WR/CB drills and consistently battled to a draw.

Quote:
Talib says Dennard has dropped some weight this offseason "and is moving really well out here."

Updates 7/27:

Quote:
Patriots training camp practice No. 2 concluding. Same takeaway as Day 1: Key work for rookie WRs.

Quote:
WR Aaron Dobson getting top reps. Nice contested catch over Aqib Talib along right sideline, delivered by TB12.

Quote:
Tebow again shaky throwing the ball. 2 passes batted down in 7on7. Also worked briefly w/ receivers/backs in ball security & tackling drills

Quote:
Practice over. Brady and Mallett were sharper today. Tebow was pretty horrible -- held onto the ball for over 10 seconds on one play

Quote:
CB Alfonzo Dennard with long INT (Mallett intended for Boyce) & impressive breakup (TB12 to Dobson). Good ball skills shown.

Quote:
Rookie WR Kenbrell Thompkins ups workload. Some top reps for Thompkins. Under-the-radar WR to watch.

Quote:
Rookie WR Josh Boyce targeted deep a couple times & can't come up with beautifully thrown TB12 ball.

Quote:
Will have a full practice report in an hour or so..... WR Kenbrell Thompkins was back and made some nice plays

Quote:
WR Kamar Aiken showing up for the second straight day. Touch pass downfield from TB12 over Talib in coverage.

Quote:
TB12 and Tim Tebow have two passes batted down apiece by racquets (used to duplicate reach of linemen).

Quote:
Pats practice wrapping up. Alfonzo Dennard has a nice day with 2 big pass breakups.

Quote:
Punt team drills today. Rookie punter Ryan Allen displays powerful leg. Strong first impression.

Quote:
Pats continue to feed younger WRs with lots of reps. Boyce, Dobson and Kamar Aiken see lots of time.

Quote:
Terrific practice for Alfonzo Dennard. Interception and a few more breakups.

Quote:
Brady went to Dobson a number of times. They connected for at leaf four big gains.

Quote:
Jamie Collins sees time in a few different spots.

Updates 7/26:

Quote:
@AlbertBreer: Asked about Dennard's standing on the team, Belichick insinuated he's like any other player on the 90-man roster.

Quote:
@AlbertBreer: Devin McCourty is out here in a red non-contact jersey. My understanding it's precautionary. He had shoulder surgery in February.

Quote:
Alfonzo Dennard not with the Patriots' 1 in the base D. Comes on in nickel, plays in the base with second team for 7-on-7s.

Quote:
Tebow just a caught a ball from Mallett in a weird new drill I've never seen before.

Quote:
First Patriots practice concluding. Wet. Biggest takeaway: Rookie WRs Aaron Dobson & Josh Boyce on field, practicing in full.

Quote:
McCourty in red no contact jersey. Boyce (foot) running around. Bolden:No wrap/brace on ankle. Ballard's got a hitch in step. Dowling: Alive

Quote:
Aaron Dobson didn't finish spring minicamp & Josh Boyce was sidelined (toe) for all of it. Key for Pats. Top reps for Dobson.

Quote:
Overall, rain affects passing game. BB said this morning no thought of moving inside. Too many players to be productive in practice bubble

Quote:
Practice over. Tebow horrendous.

Quote:
Practice over. Sloppy day in the rain. Mallett was inconsistent. Tebow caught a pass (OMG!!!) and threw a couple of picks

Quote:
At CB, Kyle Arrington running with top group over Alfonzo Dennard (court hearing Aug. 27 to determine if violated probation).

Quote:
Tim Tebow wears red jersey with QBs but also takes part in some run-after-the-catch drills. Tebow throws 2 INTs in 11 on 11.

Quote:
Big day for WR Kamar Aiken. Few nice catches.

Quote:
At one point, when Tebow tucks/runs in 11 on 11, small section of crowd chants "Tee-bow! Tee-bow." A few of those chants at different points

Quote:
Brandon Spikes right in the mix with top defense at MLB. Absence from voluntary offseason workouts not a factor.

Quote:
Top draft choice Jamie Collins gets some work with top defenders in 11 on 11. Looks to be integrating into mix quickly.

Quote:
Chandler Jones with the play of the day to make a diving interception at the line on a Tebow pass.

Quote:
Eyes up. Brandon Spikes said he's gonna deliver some "Welcome to the NFL" hits once the Pats put on their pads.

Quote:
Aaron Dobson had a few more hiccups, but also made a couple spectacular catches down the sideline, showing his ability as a perimeter WR.

Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 pm; edited 21 times in total
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hernandez and Gronkowski situations have sucked some of my anticipation out of camp but I still can't wait to see the rest of the guys out there.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
The Hernandez and Gronkowski situations have sucked some of my anticipation out of camp but I still can't wait to see the rest of the guys out there.

its an exciting group of young talent to watch

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Well, on defense.

On offense....not so much.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Well, on defense.

Dobson, Boyce and Sudfield are pretty exciting.

Debbie Downer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, am excited to see what our young receivers can do. It will be a learning curve for them, but it's sort of refreshing to have some new blood at that position. Hopefully, they all play up to expectations.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Well, on defense.

Debbie Downer

Sorry that I'm not excited about an undrafted TE with a bad injury history. The rookie WR's are nice but I wouldn't qualify the remaining offensive guys as an 'exciting group of young talent' (maybe Vereen) and certainly not when compared to the defense.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Well, on defense.

Debbie Downer

I trumpeted until I was blue in the face about Sudfeld.
I think he's a very good player.

With all that is going on at TE there it looks like he is going to get a real opportunity, too.
I wonder the Vegas odds on Sudfeld as OROY.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Well, on defense.

Debbie Downer

With all that is going on at TE there it looks like he is going to get a real opportunity, too.

OROY? I'd say that the fine folks in Canton should start carving his bust right now. I mean, an injury plagued undrafted FA with 1 year of production in college? Gronkowski better hope he is able to rebound quickly, otherwise Sudfeld might just supplant him as the #1 TE on the team.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Well, on defense.

Debbie Downer

OROY? I'd say that the fine folks in Canton should start carving his bust right now. I mean, an injury plagued undrafted FA with 1 year of production in college? Gronkowski better hope he is able to rebound quickly, otherwise Sudfeld might just supplant him as the #1 TE on the team.

That is what's known as a value bet.
Ertz is 10/1
Lattimore and Barkley are 25/1
Sudfeld should get you 50-100/1.

I could see him putting up serious numbers.
You can leave him on the field all three downs because he can block.
The two guys ahead of him look like they are going to miss time.
He's a red zone threat and TD's count a lot toward voting.
Necessity could give him Colston-like rookie numbers.
The only big downside is injuries.
It is clearly worth the risk if you are solvent.
I was not suggesting that he was the favorite.

You really shouldn't mock people when you don't understand the context of the post.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Well, on defense.

Debbie Downer

Ertz is 10/1

You really shouldn't mock people when you don't understand the context of the post.

Putting any money on a guy who is far more likely to be cut or end up on the practice squad (or, given his history, put on IR) than put up OROY numbers is a ridiculous waste of money - I don't care how "solvent" one is.

Also, there aren't just "two" guys in front of him. He also has to beat out Ballard, Fells and Hoomanawanui. Assuming Gronkowski misses no more than 8 games and Ballard is healthy enough to make the 53 man roster, any #3 TE (not named Hernandez) is going to get minimal snaps. Maybe 10-15 catches.

I don't care what odds you're getting, it's a terrible investment. If he tears up training camp and Ballard/Gronkowski aren't going to start the season, maybe it would make more sense. As of right now, he is no better than 4th on the depth chart.

There are far better long shots to put your money on.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Well, on defense.

Debbie Downer

Ertz is 10/1

Putting any money on a guy who is far more likely to be cut or end up on the practice squad (or, given his history, put on IR) than put up OROY numbers is a ridiculous waste of money - I don't care how "solvent" one is.

Also, there aren't just "two" guys in front of him. He also has to beat out Ballard, Fells and Hoomanawanui. Assuming Gronkowski misses no more than 8 games and Ballard is healthy enough to make the 53 man roster, any #3 TE (not named Hernandez) is going to get minimal snaps. Maybe 10-15 catches.

I don't care what odds you're getting, it's a terrible investment. If he tears up training camp and Ballard/Gronkowski aren't going to start the season, maybe it would make more sense. As of right now, he is no better than 4th on the depth chart.

Name two.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Name two.

Anyone who is a lock to make a roster. Almost literally any drafted QB or RB.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Name two.

Anyone who is a lock to make a roster. Almost literally any drafted QB or RB.

Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce Confused

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudfeld article:

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/06/the-pats-glaring-tight-end-hole-means-its-time-to-talk-about-zach-sudfeld-the-67-bro-with-the-37-vertical/
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 1 of 47

Jump to: