Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predicting the Jets 2013 Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neauone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Predicting the Jets 2013 Season Reply with quote

The 2013 Jets have a "must prove" season before them.
Rex "could be coaching for his job", but on a personal note, I believe this is all nonsense.
Rex will only lose his job if the Jets go 1-15 or something close to that record.
Rex and the Jets are not projected to do anything this year and like last year are a team in flux (according to the experts).
So trying to be as honest as I can without being bias (as I see everything in green and white) this is how I see the season playing out.

First off I like the fact that the Jets are being given no credit and are projected as one of the worse franchises in the NFL.
This will give them an edge for a short time.
Secondly, I don't think the D will miss a beat and will surprise the league when they sit in the top 5 this year.
The defense IMHO is going to be lights out good, MUCH better than last years by virtue of the youth and speed added during the draft and off season.

As far as the offense is concerned, it is in its infancy, but the major hurdle the Jets had to overcome last year was its offensive line.
Idzik was wise enough to want to bring in veterans and draft choices to bring stability to the weakest link on the team along with competition.

I believe the Jets are capable of scoring 20 points a game, EVEN, with the lack of proven WR's on the team or for that matter injured WR's. Winslow will add a proven threat and could be playing for a future payday somewhere else next year.
I believe the Jets will ride the coattails of the Defense this year and win games in the trenches.
If Sanchez can come back and have an average year, the Jets can win 10 games.
If Sanchez falters and Geno becomes the heir apparent than the Jets could win 7-10 games.
My prediction for the Jets this year is 10-6 and a team NO TEAM, wants to face in round 1 because of their defense.
imaiden6669

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points but 10 is a little difficult this is how i see it playing out:

TB-W the year will start of with a win with Sanchez under center and a run oriented offense and the defense will want to prove itself so it will only give up 1TD in this one
@NE-W the defense will continue rolling and with the potential of no Gronk or Hernandez as well as Welker departure its to early for Brady to have a fav target yet so a late sack of pick will seal this amazing win and Sanchez will continue his trend of dominating the Pats defense
BUF-L they will come home after a long layoff and full of themselves and fall flat with a typical Sanchez performance with at least 4 turnovers
@TEN-L the old Sanchez continues to rear his head as we begin to wonder if Geno if ready to take over as this game is very reminicant of last years with both offenses playing terrible and a late turnover by Sanchez seals the loss
@ATL-L our defense plays valiant but cant keep ATL out of endzone with there relentless aerial assault and eventually take the lead and the game in the 2nd half Sanchez actually has a turnover free day but fails to get u sin the endzone and we contiually settle for FGs
PIT-W we come home and our defense steps up again as Pitt lacks there deep threat weapon we bottle up Big Ben and stop a late rally to hold them off Sanchez doesnt play great but the run game steps up and the O-line starts hitting its stride and opening huge holes
NE-L Belichick would rather die then lose to us twice so they come here and win in easy fashion despite playing well early on Sanchez commits 2 huge turnovers late to seal the loss the defense tries it best but cant contain Brady for the whole game
@CIN-L Sanchez's hotseat is really hot since with the bye week looming he has one of his worst games completing less then 50% of his passing fumbling twice losing one and throwing 3 picks highhandedly spotting the bengals 13 pts and the defense does its best to keep us in game and a big wildcat TD run by Smith 20 yards out gets us back in the game but it isnt enough as we lose this one by 9
NO-L with Geno getting more starters reps at practice theres a strong indication this is Sanchez's last start and in typical Sanchez fashion he actually plays well not spectacular but well, also this is against a NO defense led by Ryan's brother but still very poor much like last year, we lose this game cause this will be the worst the defense plays all year as they allow over 30 pts for the first and only time this season
BYE-the Geno era begins as he takes all the first team reps as the coaching staff feel he has grasped the playbook enough and there will be no restrictions in the playbook but they will increase it everyweek not to give him too much too early at 3-5 we dont have much to lose and with an easier post BYE schedule its a good way to get Geno experience and see wat he is going into next year
@BUF-W the Geno ers begins rough with a 3 straight possions of 2, 3 and outs and a pick but the defense hounds BUF all day as they struggle themselves with the Manuel making his 3rd or 4th start and Geno starts to hit is stride with a long TD to Hill followed with a long TD drive right after the half and we ride to a victory after a pick 6 by Cro
@BAL-L with Bal having an up and down post SB season there in must win mode to stay in the playoff hunt and they ride there Defense to victory in a bloody and bruising battle of defenses a late TD by Flacco to Pitta gives them the 16-9 win Geno doesnt commit any turnovers but struggles to get the offense moving at all Malone's booming punts help us win the field position battle but a shanked punt late gave BAL a short field on there TD sealing drive
MIA-L wanting to show off to the NY crowd in his first home start he makes a huge mistake late in this game that were winning close to give Miami a short field as he does too much to extend the play and gets stripped by Wake setting up miami to score and they pound it right into the endzone giving them more then a FG lead with just over 2 min to play Geno makes some nice plays to get us close but our last shot at the endzone lands incomplete
OAK-W with a second chance to impress the Jets fans and another dismal Raiders team,although trending in the right direction,as the opponent we survive a shaky first half to ride 3 straight TD drives coming out of the half with some real nice play from Geno and strong running by Ivory and we use Ivory as the bellcow to run out the clock
@CAR-W-looking to outduel Newton who is having a strong season and has Carolina lurking in the playoff hunt Geno and the Oline torches the Panthers defense and despite a strong game from Newton the jets defense never breaks and only allows 1 TD and forces Car to FGs which they miss 2 of and a long drive that spans the 3rd and half the 4th ending a fg seals the game as we go up 10
CLE-W both teams are riding winning streaks as the browns are riding strong defensive play and this game becomes more of a battle then either team expected on a cold and snowy day at the meadowlands, it comes down to which team has the stronger running game and o-line play and despite trent having a good day the Jets defense holds him late and Ivory cracks off a couple big runs to set up Folk's winning FG as time expires
@MIA-W-Geno and Jets are looking for revenge and end the recent trend of losing to the Dolphins who are looking to win and get help to sneak in as a wild card despite high expectations, the defense playing extremely motivated and makes the Dolphins offense look anemic as they earn there first shutout of the season and with Geno and the Jets dominating with long drive after long drive they cruise to a win in this flawless game and things look bright for the future as they finish 8-8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jets will win the division this year. Nice young solid defense with a strong offensive line and running game. Sounds crazy but I just feel a lot better than what people are expecting. Yeah we were the laughing stock of the league last year but theres absolutely no way to counter that than make a huge statement this year.

Last year the jets were old and slow on defense, we didnt have our best corner back. No this year we are faster and way more athletic on defense with Davis starting and adding Barnes as a OLB pass rusher. Richardson was really a huge pick up. We will rotate guys a lot between Wilkerson, Pace, Barnes, Coples, Richardson. I expect to see a lot of different fronts that incorporate are speed. I also really like the Dawan Landry signing. I think hes a guy that probably knows the defense even better than Laron did last year. I expect him to be a vocal leader back there. Our cornerback position is loaded with guys like Berry, Milliner, Wilson, Cromartie. I expect us to be a very good defense this year. Dont forget we will have Kenrick and Garay rotating on that line as well. Garay can be a force when hes not an every down guy.

Offense, plain and simple our offensive line play last year was HORRIBLE. Yeah Sanchez made some horrible and I mean horrible decisions but he was hit ALOT back their and even Mcelroy realized it towards the end of the year. Either way our strength will be our offensive line this year. We have a bunch of young talent with proven veteran starters to compete at our G spots. Im excited about Winters, Colon and Peterman the most as I feel they will prove to be the rotation we will see at Guard. I just dont see Ducasse doing anything really. I do feel really good about the project with willy Campbell though. I think he could be a nice addition in the future. Its also nice to get Aboushi to hopefully provide some nice depth at tackle. Either way I expect it to be Ferguson, Colon, Mangold, Peterman, Howard with Winters rotating. Thats a solid offensive line there. At running back we are strong. Ivory and Goodson will be a force. Powell will really push both guys but due to Mcknights Special teams abilities I think we may see the jets cut or trade Powell. In this day an age, I just dont see them keeping 4 running backs on the gameday. WR and TE is a will see thing, If Holmes can return to health, we should be fine. Hopefully Hill can wake up.

Obviously I am excited about camp as I expect a few positions to get ironed out.But the truth is, this jets team is younger, faster, and loaded with depth. I expect Mark Sanchez to prove everyone wrong this year. Trust me I hated a lot of his games last year but people fail to recognize we had no running game, no offensive line and no seperation with our wide recievers. Sanchez will return to form this year and we will win the division for the first time since 02.
green24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense should keep us in a lot of games and our running game should be pretty good, but I don't see our passing being good enough to carry us into the playoffs. We should be a lot better than the media predicts us to be, look at ESPN ranking us in last in their power rankings, but I don't see us winning the division or grabbing a Wild Card spot this season. 6-8 wins are very likely, but it would take a lot of lucky breaks for that to happen.

Right now, our QB situation does not look very good for the upcoming season. I would love if we could get the 2010 Mark Sanchez to return, but I am surely not expecting that player to return. His confidence is shot and it is clear that he is no longer viewed as a franchise QB. I think he might be a bit better than he was last season, but I don't see him being a guy that can carry this team into the postseason. While I do think Geno Smith can be a good QB for us in the long-term, I don't think he is ready at this point to lead an offense or at least do so at a level that could result in a playoff berth. He should start the season as our second string QB and take over around the bye week if it is clear that he is ready and Sanchez is not leading us anywhere.

In addition to the uncertainty surrounding who is throwing passes for this team, there is nearly as much uncertainty surrounding who will be catching those passes. Jeremy Kerley is now arguably our top receiver and clearly the only receiver that can be relied on heading into the season. He posted 827 receiving yards last year and could emerge as a perennial as soon as the QB situation sorts itself out. After him, we have a trio of huge question marks in Santonio Holmes, Kellen Winslow Jr., and Stephen Hill.

Holmes is right next to Kerley as the best receiver on this team, but it appears increasing unlikely that he will be on the field when the season gets underway this season. It is uncertain when he will return and if he will be able to return to his previous form once he does. If he does play at a high level this season, we will have a very solid 1-2 receiver combo in Kerley and Holmes. Out of the three question marks we have at WR/TE, Holmes is probably the most likely to perform well.

Despite just being signed mere days ago, we are depending on Winslow or another one of our TEs to step up in a major way this season. Winslow's talent is undeniable, and at his best he is one of the best at his position in the NFL. Unfortunately, his knees present a major medical red flag and allows for some skepticism as to whether he can produce for us this season. If he is able to suit up and perform at the level that he did through 2011, we would have struck gold with this signing. However, counting on someone with his knees is far from an enviable position.

Stephen Hill is pretty clearly the most talented skill player on this team, but he has little experience and even less production. After a standout performance in his debut last season, he had a disappointing rookie season. Like what was the case with Demaryius Thomas in Denver, Hill is a long-term project. I am FAR from ready to give up on Hill, but I don't expect much production from him in 2013. I would sign up right now for a year with 500 receiving yards from him. He really needs to work on limiting his drops, which are just infuriating.

If we can get production from Sanchez/Geno, Holmes, Winslow, and Hill, then, yes, we are a playoff team and possibly the division champions. However, the odds are that we really do not receive enough production from those players and our passing game hold us back from truly contending. I have very hopes for this defense, which I think could finish top five in the league. I think our running game could be the best it has been since Thomas Jones days. Unfortunately, I really do not have much faith in our passing game. I think we finish this year with 5-8 wins.
jetfuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you think the jets will win 10 games? If I look at this team as a non-jet fan I think this team is in some trouble. First off the jets D will be on the field a very very long time. This will cause the jets D to get tired very quickly. The jets, lead by Rex, have always had trouble with endurance. They also have shown signs that they are a very slow D. If David Harris starts, which he is projected to, the D will be in trouble on the pass coverage and his tacking is one of the worse as an inside linebacker. You also have Kyle Wilson starting unless Dee Milliner takes his job which I really hope he does. Kyle Wilson is a bust and needs to go back to the nickel roll or 4th CB.

The O is going to be so bad that they will cost the jets at least 9 games themselves. You have a QB that is by far the worse starting QB in the NFL. Next in line is a rookie who is no way near a Luck or RG3. He needs at least 2 years on the bench to be a good starter. When the fans say we can run all day, have you seen the RB we have. Ivory is a good running back but not a great running back. Goodson my not even make the team (legal issues). If the pick up Willis M off the cut list this would be a big improvement. The other team will just stack 9 guys in the box and make the jets throw to WR who can not catch a pass or have a QB hit the mark. Face it jet fans going to be a long season.

Hope as a Jet Fan 8-8 to 9-7.

Reality 4-12 to 6-10. Rex will be fired if we finish under 500 which is the only plus finishing under 500.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people are taking a very pessimistic view of things for this upcoming year. I really dont blame people for doing that but I think this jets team has improved a lot. Similar to what "Idzik for President" said, we are younger and faster. I remember growing up being told that you win each game in the trenches. If theres any aspect on the field that we can dominate teams each game, it would be the trenches. We have depth across the board on the Oline and depth on the Dline as well. All the other positions will fill themselves in.

As far as Sanchez goes, mistakes are an issue but with a solid running game and offensive line, I think he can have a decent year. As far as our division goes, I am really not all that impressed. I think the Bills will be the worst, I just dont see the talent level there. The Dolphins are somewhat of a question but I think they can be vulnerable. They kinda went on a spending spree and Tannehill will see a lot more pressure this year on the field and off. I see the Bills and Dolphins both beatable from the jets perspective. As for the Patriots their tight end situation is a significant problem right now and wide reciever you could honestly argue is weaker than the jets. The Patriot secondary should be stronger but if they cant stop the run, it will be a significant problem as well. I just dont see how anyone could intelligently pin the jets as 4-12 6-10 team when they are significantly better than they were last year and you could also say the division champ Patriots are not as strong either.

I would not go as far as to say the jets are going to win the division but I see them as a contender right now for sure. I think it will be one of those years where the jets do indeed prove a lot of people wrong. Rex is going to give it his all and hes endured enough crap throughout his tenure here as the jets head coach the past two years. People love the guy and people want to play for him. Hes a good defensive coach and leader.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things I'm excited about is Rex calling the defense again and Chris Ivory. Faster front 7 with Rex's exotic blitzing is going to be great. My concerns are the WR position and our safety position.

Anything can happen this season. I can see us winning 5-9 games. depends on how this come together between scheme and talent.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
RollTide99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This teams probably gonna go between 4 to 6 win team. The defense will be good if not great but the lack of WR talent and competency at the QB position will hold this team back.Rex will most likely be fired snd well start iver next year.......hopefully with Jadaveon Clowney on the team

JMG on the sig
green24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollTide99 wrote:
This teams probably gonna go between 4 to 6 win team. The defense will be good if not great but the lack of WR talent and competency at the QB position will hold this team back.Rex will most likely be fired snd well start iver next year.......hopefully with Jadaveon Clowney on the team

4-6 wins is not getting us Clowney.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say 7-9. I think well win a few games we shouldn't. We had a good draft an brought in some nice role players, but I just dont think well get good enough QB play and we dont have the weapons either. We still have a ways to go.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
jg6041

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
I just dont see how anyone could intelligently pin the jets as 4-12 6-10 team when they are significantly better than they were last year and you could also say the division champ Patriots are not as strong either.

The schedule is tough especially the first half of it.
I do not see where the improvement is coming on the offense.
4-6 wins should be even money- anything more than 6 would be a surprise.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
sharpy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic but it might be a little frugal as well! I'll take a shot at it!
COACHING: Sparano was an absolute joke last year. I can't believe he was a head coach in this league. He did more damage to our offence than anybody, including Mark! Mornhinweg will be a pleasant surprise this year. Rex has shown some promise this year already. I like the way he's calling players out already. I truly believe Rex lost his way two years ago when Dungy called him out for too many "F" bombs on hard knocks. I think this actually changed his coaching techniques, due to his respect for this puke! I watched hard knocks with the Fins last year and it was 10 times worse. Be yourself REX. Thurm just plain deserves it, although I think Rex calls "D"
Offense: Saddly I think the damage done to Sanchez is non repairable. Geno needs to grow and McElroy was like a rat jumping off a sinking ship last year. I know! He had a head ache. No improvement at all here. Our hopes lie with Holmes to catch a ball. Gee! I wonder who the opposition will key on? Winslow has bum knees which leaves us with a rugby player. hee!hee! Green was a bum the last two years so I can see a major improvement with our backs if they keep McKnight on special teams. Ivory will be good! 1000 for sure! O line has improved with depth. This will give our run game a chance and maybe keep QB UPRIGHT. All and all we will see a big improvement from last year but this is no elite offense yet.
Defense: Stud!!!! Top three this year with a tough schedule. This will keep getting better the next couple of years. Hope they keep REX next year.
Special Teams. God are we ever gonna miss you know who!!
Sorry! Just venting a bit! I see no more than 5 wins this year but I really like the outlook of years to comeif Idzik stays on track! Wink
perikirest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
RDawg10 wrote:
I just dont see how anyone could intelligently pin the jets as 4-12 6-10 team when they are significantly better than they were last year and you could also say the division champ Patriots are not as strong either.

The schedule is tough especially the first half of it.
I do not see where the improvement is coming on the offense.
4-6 wins should be even money- anything more than 6 would be a surprise.

We won 6 games last year with a season where basically if something was going to go bad it went worse...

Tough schedule? Jets played 4 of the top 5 defenses from the prior year in the first 5 weeks last year. This schedule is cupcake compared to that.

AAJ Mark Sanchez
1 Torn Labrum
jg6041

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perikirest wrote:
This schedule is cupcake compared to that.

AFC North and NFC South I would not consider cupcake.

Last Years schedule was easier.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
perikirest wrote:
This schedule is cupcake compared to that.

AFC North and NFC South I would not consider cupcake.

Last Years schedule was easier.

We're not going to lose to everyone

The best thing is our 5 toughest games are back to back to back to back to back

Even going 1-4 in that stretch isn't terrible as long we take care of business vs teams we should beat

We're younger, faster, more explosive and better coached and managed

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: