Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Secret Superstar This Season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
RunDmc23 wrote:
Rod Streater hands down best work ethic on the Raiders Star in the Making

How would you compare Streater's work ethic to DHB or Pryor?

Personally, I don't think anyone works or has worked harder than DHB.

I think a lot of players work as hard as DHB. The difference is their skills are not so awfully bad that the work gets attention.

Notice players who lack natural skills (DHB, Pryor, Tebow, etc) get attention for their hard work while players that are actually skillful don't?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
I clearly missed that. Everywhere i can find some projected depth charts at the moment, he's backing up Walker at the 3 tech.
Just wondering. Who else would the Raiders have listed as the backup NT at the end of the 2012 season?

Key word "projected". If you are going by CBS there are a number discrepancies. Bilukidi was listed by Raiders.com as the backup NT wire to wire last season.

I was actually mostly going by that.
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/5/22/4356576/oakland-raiders-ota-depth-chart

No idea how accurate it is but it's coming from someone who has attended practice this offseason so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've always found it curious how interior defensive lineman are listed on the depth chart. Al Davis preferred two penetrating UTs next to one another and always listed them both as DT/DT. Detroit does this as well and imo it entices either to jump the snap causing penalties. Fairley led DTs in penalties in 2012. Allen's defensive specifically lists a designated NT. However, absent a true NT Tommy Kelly was asked to fulfill that role but at times reverted back to being a penetrator (Kelly 2nd in penalties in 2013), often exposing the defense when he did.

If Bilukidi cannot fulfill the role of NTotF then once again the defense will be a sieve again as McGee is definitely a 3-tech DT and Sims has durability issues. I don't know anything about Johnny Jones, scouting reports suggest he is just a camp body. At the very least there should be a rotation at NT and if you're suggestion holds true the Raiders don't have anyone to keep Sims fresh. This interior DL does have some talent but is woefully thin if Biluidi can't hold down backup NT.

Yeah, in today's NFL the depth chart doesn't mean all that much. It just tells what the base is but most teams have multiple looks and they obviously run the nickel and dime a lot more than 20 years ago. That's asking for players to be versatile enough to play different roles or subbing guys in and out according to the situation. If your "NT" is playing 3 downs, it means he brings something as a pass rusher as well and he won't be limited to controlling a gap throughout a game, he'll attack too.

A guy like Sims isn't a 3 down player, never was, never will be. He'll probably end up at the top of the depth chart at NT but he'll remain a role player who will see half the snaps at best. How the Raiders chose to line up Walker and Bilukidi when Sims is on the sideline is anyone's guess and imo will vary according to the defense called.
Frankie2Gunz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "superstar" the names mentioned in this thread are not superstars. Our secret superstar this year will be Run DMC. I have a feeling this will be his best year yet and he will stay healthy for all 16 games. He has no miles on his young body and we all have seen what he can do when he is 100%.

People have given up on him labeling him a bust because he is injury prone. People claim how he should not be a priority to resign after this off season because "Rb's are not as important as they used to be". So far those who have said that are not wrong when it comes to the injury prone label. That all can change in 16 games and when it does everyone who was saying all of these negative things about him will have him as their FF logo. He will be resigned and should be.

I usually don't go out on limbs making predictions but I know DMC will be the focal point of this O. If he does stay healthy for 16 he will put up "superstar" numbers. If that does happen I could see 1,700 rushing, 400 receiving and 14 total td's... That is a "superstar".

Props to Silver&Black88 for the pimpin sig
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like McFadden but his production doesn't warrant a big contract.

08- 499
09- 357
10- 1,157
11- 614
12- 707

Those rushing stats are disappointing for a team that wants to be a power running team. The coaching staff wants to control the clock with an elite running game. Even if McFadden plays 14 games and goes off for 1,500 yards, we need to be caution how much money we offer DMAC.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie2Gunz wrote:
When you say "superstar" the names mentioned in this thread are not superstars. Our secret superstar this year will be Run DMC. I have a feeling this will be his best year yet and he will stay healthy for all 16 games. He has no miles on his young body and we all have seen what he can do when he is 100%.

People have given up on him labeling him a bust because he is injury prone. People claim how he should not be a priority to resign after this off season because "Rb's are not as important as they used to be". So far those who have said that are not wrong when it comes to the injury prone label. That all can change in 16 games and when it does everyone who was saying all of these negative things about him will have him as their FF logo. He will be resigned and should be.

I usually don't go out on limbs making predictions but I know DMC will be the focal point of this O. If he does stay healthy for 16 he will put up "superstar" numbers. If that does happen I could see 1,700 rushing, 400 receiving and 14 total td's... That is a "superstar".

Is DMC a secret? How about just Secret Star?
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
RunDmc23 wrote:

I think a lot of players work as hard as DHB. The difference is their skills are not so awfully bad that the work gets attention.

Notice players who lack natural skills (DHB, Pryor, Tebow, etc) get attention for their hard work while players that are actually skillful don't?

+1. What does it say when they can't produce?

I remember when Streater was signed. I already knew about him from the crazy catches he made in college, but a poster who was familiar with him & Temple football said that he had a great work ethic and nobody works harder than him. I kinda became convinced the guy would make the team on that alone. I posted an article during the season on how Streater uses Jiu-jitsu to get separation.

He's added a few lbs of muscle to his frame so I think he'll be more physical and stronger getting separation because he took a beating last year even though he kept going.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Ro4DPoY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely expecting one of our free agent DT's to be the secret superstar, it's a 50-50 chance. Either one turning into a secret star will suffice, i'm just glad we'd be able to resign them if they were worth it after the season.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
RunDmc23 wrote:

+1

My rhetorical question was meant to get RunDmc23 to make the connection that work ethic alone is not the only criteria to becoming a star.
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a single mention of Lamarr Houston?

He's not flashy by any means, but he's just now entering his prime after coming off his best season in the NFL. We can talk about work ethic, but this guy plays at 110% on gameday. His level of play was becoming more & more disruptive as the season went on. I'm eager to see if he can elevate his play to an even higher level.

EDIT: If we're talking about players who we didn't see much of, I'm hoping to see more of Juron Criner. It seems like he's in the doghouse, but in the small doses that we got to see him on the field, I liked what I saw. Of course, a guy like Streater has another great chance this year to seize the opportunity and improve.

Last edited by Professor Oak on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge difference between hearing about the work ethic of a first round pick or a potential QB of the future and an UDFA. Just saying. The media feeds you what they feel you want to hear. What exactly do you care about an UDFA? Nothing. If they feel the need to tell you about one, it's because they see something worth noting.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie2Gunz wrote:

What?

Laughing

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN >>>>>> all of you
Frankie2Gunz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Frankie2Gunz wrote:

What?

Laughing

I don't know why you're confused. He is 25 years old and has averaged 150 carries per year. He is young and his body hasn't been pounded like a back who carries the ball 250 times a season.

Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie2Gunz wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Frankie2Gunz wrote:

What?

Laughing

I don't know why you're confused. He is 25 years old and has averaged 150 carries per year. He is young and his body hasn't been pounded like a back who carries the ball 250 times a season.

I think Ncough is suggesting that given DMC's durability issues obviously comparatively DMC already has a lot of miles and is probably physically unable to reach 250 carries in a season.
91jmay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure NCough just found the phrase a little... peculiar.

1. Is Hayden going to be a bust? Sure looked like it last year IMO..But I give him a pass because he almost died…therefore I believe anyone who almost dies deserves a pass……………

A principle to live by..
Frankie2Gunz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
I'm pretty sure NCough just found the phrase a little... peculiar.

I'm not debating if DMC is injury prone or not, what I am saying is that outside of his injuries his body is very fresh. Realistically if he can stay relatively injury free for the rest of his career would his prior injuries be such a bad thing? If he was healthy for the last 5 season his body would have way more wear and tear than it currently does and how many chances have the Raiders actually had over the last 5 years to win a super bowl? 0...

It's slow this time of the year and trying to spin a positive to DMC's injury history. I really think his injuries have been freekish bad luck and that if he can play a full 16 game season he will put up monster numbers. This is DMC's make or break season and feel like he will play through a lot so he can put up monster numbers, shut down the injury prone label and get a big payday from the Raiders. A lot of if's but if I was RM and he does put up huge numbers I would use his injury history to pay his less money Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: