Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Secret Superstar This Season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Our Secret Superstar This Season? Reply with quote

Saw this in the NFL General forum.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/06/05/secret-superstar-phillip-adams/

Quote:
We’ve been naming Secret Superstars for years now. Players who, in limited opportunity, have shown they have what it takes to assume a larger role. These players, like many on the bottom half of NFL rosters, have talent, but were either blocked on the depth chart by bigger names or simply needed more seasoning.

For the Oakland Raiders in 2012, being blocked by an established vet wasn’t a common issue. There was bound to be an opportunity sooner or later as Reggie McKenzie was into his first year of playing “Flip That Roster”. In fact, at certain positions during the year, bottom-of-the-roster players were not only unblocked, but were being thrown, face-first, into the starting lineup.

This was the case for the cornerbacks. With the previous season’s starters discarded and affordable injury-concern replacements shelved (with injuries, of course), the path to starting on Sundays was wide open. Safety Michael Huff was called on to move to the line and man one spot and Patrick Lee the other until Ron Bartell made a temporary return. Brandian Ross got a shot at one point, and others were pulled up from the practice squad or brought in to provide bodies and some semblance of depth.

It was late in this shuffling process that Phillip Adams got his turn, but in true Secret Superstar fashion, he impressed in glimpses.

What do you guys think? Is he going to be a major breakout player? I think he showed potential last year, but it will be hard getting PT with Hayden, Jenkins, Porter and Hanson.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the Sio sig.
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he showed flashes last year as a play maker but hes going to have to win the job. That's something that i love about this squad, competition across the board with lots of solid players.

sio moore is someone who could be big this year if he wins a starting spot, love his game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Secret Superstar This Season? Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Saw this in the NFL General forum.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/06/05/secret-superstar-phillip-adams/

Quote:
We’ve been naming Secret Superstars for years now. Players who, in limited opportunity, have shown they have what it takes to assume a larger role. These players, like many on the bottom half of NFL rosters, have talent, but were either blocked on the depth chart by bigger names or simply needed more seasoning.

For the Oakland Raiders in 2012, being blocked by an established vet wasn’t a common issue. There was bound to be an opportunity sooner or later as Reggie McKenzie was into his first year of playing “Flip That Roster”. In fact, at certain positions during the year, bottom-of-the-roster players were not only unblocked, but were being thrown, face-first, into the starting lineup.

This was the case for the cornerbacks. With the previous season’s starters discarded and affordable injury-concern replacements shelved (with injuries, of course), the path to starting on Sundays was wide open. Safety Michael Huff was called on to move to the line and man one spot and Patrick Lee the other until Ron Bartell made a temporary return. Brandian Ross got a shot at one point, and others were pulled up from the practice squad or brought in to provide bodies and some semblance of depth.

It was late in this shuffling process that Phillip Adams got his turn, but in true Secret Superstar fashion, he impressed in glimpses.

What do you guys think? Is he going to be a major breakout player? I think he showed potential last year, but it will be hard getting PT with Hayden, Jenkins, Porter and Hanson.

http://goldengatesports.com/2013/06/16/oakland-raiders-is-phillip-adams-a-rising-star/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot%2BTopics

Quote:
In Week 13, Adams recorded his first interception of the season against the Cleveland Browns, and the week after that is where the young prospect made his trademark. In week 14, a Thursday night match-up against future first ballot Hall of Famer Peyton Manning, Adams put on a performance that opened up Allen’s eyes.

If he can keep up this kind of level of play, he certainly can become a diamond in the rough.

Quote:
Adams posted his best-ever coverage grade of a +4.0 and tacked on an interception on the superstar Manning. He put in by far his most extensive single game playing time of the season, as he played 56 of 84 defensive snaps. In this standout performance he logged five tackles, a pair of defensive stops, gave up just two catches on five targets for only six yards, and added a batted down pass as well.

The only concern about him is his concussion history, if that stops I personally believe he has a bright future ahead of him, it may be hard at first but who knows how long these veterans will last.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think he's going to do nothing. Chaz Schilens of the defense until proven otherwise. Heck, he even got hurt in the OTAs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Our Secret Superstar This Season? Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:

Hayden and Porter would be probably favourites to start but whenever I've seen Adams I've been impressed. He handles his duties pretty well when given the opportunity and showed good awareness and ball skills, especially on that superb diving interception.

One thing I'm really please with is that he will not be given the job but will have to win it from a couple of seasoned (thoughnot great) vets.

I can see one of Vance Walker or Christo Bilukidi really stepping up this year also, they both have been given more responsibility and a chance to prove themselves and I'm convinced we will find a diamond in one (or both hopefully) of these young, hungry guys.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope burris bulks up and can be a terror off the edge i dont like him at mlb

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN >>>>>> all of you
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Adams. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's going to be one of the best but I think he could become a decent starter for us.

PM sig requests.
G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Adams for depth and flashing, but starting, I'm hoping the vets Jenkins and Porter are solid, with Hayden rotating both sides and getting equal reps. A 3 CB rotation, with Hanson and Adams dime and nickel when our top 3 aren't all in. As long as there is no major injuries (4 weeks+) I think our DB's will be fine.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I like Adams for depth and flashing, but starting, I'm hoping the vets Jenkins and Porter are solid, with Hayden rotating both sides and getting equal reps. A 3 CB rotation, with Hanson and Adams dime and nickel when our top 3 aren't all in. As long as there is no major injuries (4 weeks+) I think our DB's will be fine.

Jenkins is pretty awful, so I don't expect much there.

Porter has his moments, but has his lapses. Injury will be a concern w/ him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy.

Mychal Rivera, who has nearly identical measurements to Brandon Meyers and similar skill set. Rivera has virtually no competition at his position and will be relied on heavily as an outlet receiver for a QB corps learning a new offense.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our secret superstar this season is Pryor - sorry wrong thread Wink
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
our secret superstar this season is Pryor - sorry wrong thread Wink

Can't be a superstar on the bench Wink

DRose knows. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Easy.

Mychal Rivera, who has nearly identical measurements to Brandon Meyers and similar skill set. Rivera has virtually no competition at his position and will be relied on heavily as an outlet receiver for a QB corps learning a new offense.

I can't see it. Knapp's offense (and the inability to get the running game going) created Myers' sats. Olson's offense won't be so TE focused in the passing game and whoever is the starting TE will earn the job based on his blocking ability first and foremost. That's not Rivera's strength. Rivera's fit is the receiving TE/HBack which is more likely to be filled by Reece (or Ausberry) to create matchup issues than by a late round rookie. Imo, Rivera will be nothing more than a STer if he's active on gameday.

IMO, Bilukidi has a good shot to breakthrough in his 2nd season. Pat Sims won't be on the field on passing downs which should give Bilukidi a fair share of the snaps each week. I think, with his atheltic ability, he can flourish in a role giving him the freedom to shoot the gaps and get to the QB.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope our secret superstar is Matt Flynn. Because unless a QB steps up, this team will be underwhelming.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
I hope our secret superstar is Matt Flynn. Because unless a QB steps up, this team will be underwhelming.

Ok so funny story. I was about to post that pic of McFadden laughing because he would be the solution. But I could only find pics with the 59-14 game score in them. Then a sig I made popped up. On another site. Confused

The hell. This isn't the first time I've been ripped off on here for sig work. Regardless of how crappy it is, its not cool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: