Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SHOULD the Dolphins win the division this year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: SHOULD the Dolphins win the division this year? Reply with quote

The AFC East looks to be in bad shape.

The Patriots - Lost Wes Welker. They also COULD be losing Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, and at the very least it looks like both could miss games this season with injury issues (Gronk) and off the field issues (Hernandez). Tom Brady is a year older. Top WR's on the team appear to be Michael Jenkins and Danny "I punctured a lung" Amendola. The defense was shaky last season, specifically the secondary and all they really added was veteran safety, Adrian Wilson , and rookies CB Ryan Logan and S Duron Harmon. The offense was the strength of this team and losing Welker, and possibly Gronk and Hernandez seem like HUGE setbacks to me.

The Jets - Sanchez is competing with rookie Geno Smith. Sanchez also has few veteran targets to throw too, with Stephen Hill and Santonio Holmes as the most likely to start. Depth behind them looks to be Jeremy Kerley and Clyde Gates. Throw in the fact that we took Dustin Keller from them leaving them with Jeff Cumberland or perhaps a very tired Kellen Winslow Jr. as their TE and I think few teams will fear their passing game. The running games "big" off season addition were Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson. Neither have been highly feared players in their short careers in the NFL. The Jets offense looks pretty stinky. The defense lost Revis in the off season, and wasn't nearly as fierce as the first couple of years that Rex Ryan took the reigns. They will likely be playing with a rookie Cornerback starting and a pass rush that

The Bills - They have a rookie head coach. They likely will have a rookie starting at QB in EJ Emmanuel. If not, the vets they have behind him are not frightening anyone. Yes, they have some weapons on offense in Stevie Johnson, CJ Spiller and even Fred Jackson, but a new head coach, a new system and a young, inexperienced signal caller could hold them back. In all the Bills added 33 new players to the team, as Doug Marrone is clearly trying to revamp the entire team. My guess is that even if he is successful it should take a year for the team to gel, again, especially with a first year QB at the helm.

So, my question is this, do you think the Dolphins can be EXPECTED to win the division. Should they be considered the favorites? My take is that we have not been in a better position to win the division in the last decade or more. We should win, and if not, we should be RIGHT in the thick of the division all year. On paper, we look better than every team in the AFC east, yes, even the Patriots in my opinion.
Phinsnation84

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, my question is this, do you think the Dolphins can be EXPECTED to win the division.

Nope, in my opinion the Patriots should be expected to win the division. I think we have a really good chance but because its Brady we won't be expected. Show it and prove everyone wrong

Adopt A Dolphin: Brian Hartline
Final: 76REC 1016YDS 4TD
Russ57

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you view and even share it to a certain degree. However I can't count the pats out as long as Brady is playing.

Yes I think the Jets and Bills are possible sweeps. And yes, I think the Pats have declined. But we have too many unproven and new players for me to say I feel certain we will outperform the Pats.

That said it "is" possible and that is more than I can say since Penny fell into our laps and Tom was out for the season.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stars are somewhat aligning for us to a degree but at the end of the day Tom Brady is still Tom Brady and I think the Patriots defense is becoming a top half of the league defense.

I do think the gap is getting much closer and brady is getting older he will be 36 this season and his ability to move his feet in the pocket are declining and he is short arming more throws.

We are getting close in my mind but I don't see it.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriots I do agree that with Welker gone and the TE position certainly at this point in time very questionable that the offense is not nearly as dynamic as it has been. The defense looks very vulnerable. They do still have Brady. Some of the youngsters are unheralded and I think could surprise..

Bills They get Mario Williams last year and the defense looks no different. Fitzgerald wasn't the answer at quarterback, is EJ Manuel? Or for that matter Kevin Kolb? If they figure out how to use Mario Williams they become a very good defense with Jarius Byrd waiting for QB to make a mistake in the secondary. The lack of use with CJ Spiller is head scratching and that will probably change this year. The Bills are a solid team underrated by many.

Jets These jokers are a mess. Sanchez stays , Revis goes. Ryan stays, Keller goes. All the wrong people stayed and all the right people left. Add in a draft and off season that had in my opinion more over rated players added to a team already filled with under performers and you have the makings of a team selecting first in the 2014 draft.

My order of finish and records for AFC East is :

1) Patriots 11-5
2) Bills 8-8
3) Fins 7-9
4) Jets 3-13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriots: Tom Brady is still Brady. People are also sleeping on Edleman who was posting good numbers during some games last year. Ridley and Vareen are also good on the run. I think that it is a closer gap but until you beat the best nothing is expected. for the last 11 years the Patriots have won all but 1 year and guess what... It was the year that Brady got hurt for the season. Oh yes and now the have TEBOW!!!!!! probably turn into a TE and burn every defense.

Jets: Not really sure where to start since its a train wreck. The defense got old and well Sanchez..... still sucks. Now he's fighting with Geno who well.....Sucks. No running game. Homes is overrated and Hill doesn't scare me. They lost Keller who was a safety blanket for Sanchez before Sporano took over the O. I don't see them winning many games.

Bills: This is a team that intrigues me. I like Manuel. I think he got taken way to soon in the draft but could be something there. With Spiller and Jackson they are a tough running game. I think new coach and new system is going to slow them down. The defense could be going strong.

Dolphins: Tannehill has made some strides in the offseason. Reports indicate that Tannehill is stepping up and making some big boy throws. We got Wallace, Gibson, and Keller who will add to the great chemistry of Hartline. Lamar Miller showed great looks with his chances last year. The offense looks promising. The defense has gotten faster and when healthy one of the top CBs in Grimes. Best pass rusher in the draft in Jordan. The defense was our strong suit last year and we got better. We have the pieces to be good if they are executed.

Division:
Patriots: 11-5
Dolphins: 10-6
Bills: 8-8
Jets: 4-12

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:

Division:
Patriots: 11-5
Dolphins: 10-6
Bills: 8-8
Jets: 4-12

This would have us in the thick of the AFC East and I could see how the Patriots COULD continue their dominance, but with the money we've spent, and the names we've acquired, I think we should be expected to keep pace.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope Pats still the team to beat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, you have carefully laid out very good points merc but when you inject the word "Expect" I
have to put on the brakes..

I "Expect" 9 - 7 possibly 10 - 6, but that doesn't mean squat when I look across at Brady & Bellacheat.

And even if that Deff is shaky & Gronk & Hernandez miss a few gms by gm 6 or 8 I "Expect" that franchise to
have figured out a way to win when/where it counts ... the final 8 gms.

I Expect the Miami Dolphins to Wild Card at 9 - 7 or 10 - 6 but I'll stop short of predicting they will
finish ahead of NE unless Brady breaks a leg.

I'd love nothing better than to be wrong.
sug
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say we are the favorites at all. But I will say this...

No one in our division scares me at all, and there is no reason we shouldn't win a minimum of 4 out of 6 in our division. That should put us right in the hunt. If we can split with the Pats and either the Jets or Bills, then sweep the other team, then we have a legit shot of winning the division, or getting a wild card birth. I had the over under at 9 wins. That means I think we are just as likely to end the season with 11 wins as with 7.

With this recent news, I may even bump us up to 9 1/2. I give us a better than 50% chance of making the playoffs this year. And truly the sky is the limit depending on how well certain guys improve or show something this year. Mostly RT, but some other guys as well. This team is oozing with talent and young potential.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it seems we have more talent around the team than than the Pats. But I would be surprised if this new-look team can come together and meld early enough in the season to believe we 'should' take the division.

Brady is still the great equalizer and he alone makes them better than us at this point in time. I am very excited at our prospects of having a solid team this year though.

I'll stay safe and say its a 100% 'could' win the east. Smile
stepover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the NFL is now the way I approach it is this: You look at each division and rank the QBs and that is the starting point for how you expect the teams to finish. Thereafter you only alter that prediction if there is a compelling case to do so (eg an outstanding Defense or a back like AP).

Looking at the AFC East it seems clear that Brady is still the number 1 guy and it's not even close. Tannehill should comfortably be number 2 and then you pick your poison with the Jets and the Bills.

So my basic rankings would be Pats; Dolphins; Bills; Jets.

Are there any compelling reasons to rank the Dolphins ahead of the Pats? Well there are some - arguably have a better Defense and a better WR corps. That is offset by the Pats having Gronk/Hernandez. If they were to lose one or both of them then the gap suddenly becomes very small between the teams.

So at the moment it's Pats > Dolphins. But depending on injuries it's possible we could leapfrog them. Don't forget both teams have really tough schedules though - 10-6 could win the AFC East.
DeesNutts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all reality, coming into the season we are and should be a 7-9 up to, maybe, a 10-6 football team. Still rebuilding, still young, a lot of new faces.

As far as the division goes, even coming in, we are better than the Jets and the Bills. Not that we will beat them both times we play each. But we should.

And with all these question marks with the Patriot Defense and now the offensive weapons I can only ask myself....

Is 2013 the Miami Dolphins 2001?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/features/2001/preview/main/

thats a Preview of the NFL coming into the 2001 NFL season.

You'll notice a few things, One, the internet looked a lot different then. Two, the Colts were still in the East and three, the Patriots were picked to finish dead last in the division.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/features/2001/preview/patriots/

Thats the link to the preview for the Patriots that year. The first part explains about Drew Bledsoe and the 103 million Craft just gave him because, "He's 29 and at the top of his game"

It then goes on to explain how the Pats have struggled last year with overall talent, and have brought in a record number of free agents that offseason.

They were predicted to finish 6-10. A young team, trying to jell.

------------------------------------

We of course know the reality of what happened that season. Bledsoe got hurt the second game of the year, and never started another game for New England. Brady took over and that young group of free agents and vets went on to not only go 11-5, win the division, and the Super Bowl they did it two more times after that.

If you look back at all the teams in the NFL that go on to serious runs of success, the Patriots, the 49ers, the Cowboys, the Steelers... their is always that one year WHERE IT ALL JUST CLICKS!! And as for the AFC East, in 2001 it clicked for New England and the division has been theirs ever since.

Is this our 2001? Maybe we need to stop expecting COULD and start thinking SHOULD.
Lemmiwinks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter who the Pats have playing for them, the NFL will make sure they win with crooked officiating, favorable schedules and destroying evidence of cheating. And I am not exaggerating.
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that at this point, if we don't make the playoffs, we failed this year. Winning the division would depend on how the Pats do- if they come out strong and look good, I wouldn't hold us to those standards. But if the Pats experience a clear drop in quality from last year, I'd hold them to those expectations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: