Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers sign DE Justin Smith to a 2-year extension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: 49ers sign DE Justin Smith to a 2-year extension Reply with quote

Quote:
The 49ers signed Justin Smith to a two-year extension through 2015.

http://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/statuses/347391549027536896

Tom Brady Tribute
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/19/justin-smith-gets-two-year-extension-from-49ers/
Quote:
He was scheduled to make $7.5 million in base salary this year, the final year of his contract, so the move likely created some salary cap room for the 49ers as well.

( haven't seen the $ details yet, but I'm feeling sure we did open up a chunk of cap room with this )

___
CloudKicker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Thinking very far ahead but i wonder how this will affect Tank Carradine's development. Both Smith and McDonald are now signed for 3 more years and Carradine's deal is 4 years. Might be a while before he gets to start or even make an impact, knowing how little Fangio likes to rotate.

I have a feeling we will see more of a hybrid defense this year than we have used in the past 2 seasons. I have a feeling we will see a decent amount of 4 man fronts with Smith and Dorsey lined up inside then Tank and Aldon on the edges, along with Brooks.

Having too much depth is never a bad problem to have

Props to Peppers90 on the sig

Point Pacific. TTKA
Swift21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this move. Very Happy Cowboy will retire a Niner for sure.

Plus I'm sure this move lowers his cap hit this season which gives us some flexibility to sign a vet FA barring injury or extend Iupati.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 1h
Justin Smith no longer represented by CAA. evidently, he negotiated his two-year extension himself. Talented guy that Justin Smith... #49ers

i love the news. and then i read this... cowboy can do it all

new sig... sorry alex
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 31m
49ers DL Justin Smith on the two-year extension: "It makes it simple. They wanted me to be here, and I wanted to be here."

Quote:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 27m
49ers DL Justin Smith is signed through 2015. Will this be his final contract? "If I was to guess, I'd say, yeah, for sure -- for sure."

he has said he doesnt want to be a role player. i think he finishes this contract while continuing to dominate.

Quote:
Re: his two-year extension, Justin Smith said he's not going to be the guy who plays a handful of snaps ...
... in the twilight of his career. "That's not going to happen," he said. "I've said that, I meant that -- I won't be the guy that's around for 10 snaps, 20 snaps. It's either,I'm going or I'm not going. If I get my [inappropriate/removed] out here, I'm going."

new sig... sorry alex
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy just decided on my next jersey for me.I can do nothing but admire Justin Smith for his game and the way he conducts himself it's great to have such a great influence on our team. And now to have him retire as a 49er makes this all the more awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With it being an extension, does it mean the numbers are the same this year and we added on another two years? Or is this years re-worked as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudKicker wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
Thinking very far ahead but i wonder how this will affect Tank Carradine's development. Both Smith and McDonald are now signed for 3 more years and Carradine's deal is 4 years. Might be a while before he gets to start or even make an impact, knowing how little Fangio likes to rotate.

I have a feeling we will see more of a hybrid defense this year than we have used in the past 2 seasons. I have a feeling we will see a decent amount of 4 man fronts with Smith and Dorsey lined up inside then Tank and Aldon on the edges, along with Brooks.

Having too much depth is never a bad problem to have

We played more 4 man fronts than 3 man last year, maybe the year before too. I think Soap only played something like a third of the snaps last year. RJF might have replaced him at NT for some plays, but mostly when he wasn't in it was Justin and Raymac in the middle with Aldon and Brooks outside of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers RE Justin Smith (triceps) is currently bench-pressing more than 400 pounds.

The guys is just a beast!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I hear within 5 years the fans at Jags games will be able to vote via Twitter on the in-game playcalls.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice news! Hopefully he helps us get a ring.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith's new deal clears more than $4 million in cap space

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/smiths-new-deal-clears-more-4-million-cap-space

Quote:
The 49ers are now $6.423 million under the salary cap after Smith's two-year extension through the 2015 season. Smith's extension averages $4.35 million per season over the 2014 and 2015 seasons, the new years added to the deal. As part of the deal, Smith's scheduled $8 million salary for 2013 was converted to a $6.56 million signing bonus, a $940,000 base salary with a $500,000 workout bonus and a $100,000 roster bonus. Under the new deal, he is scheduled to earn $8.1 million this season. The conversion of salary to signing bonus moved Smith's cap figure from $8 million to $3.726 million, the source said. He is scheduled to earn $4.55 million in 2014 with a $3.15 million salary and a $1.4 million roster bonus. In 2015, he is scheduled to receive $2.65 million in base salary with a $1.4 million roster bonus.

___
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 more years of Justin! Sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Smith's new deal clears more than $4 million in cap space

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/smiths-new-deal-clears-more-4-million-cap-space

Quote:
The 49ers are now $6.423 million under the salary cap after Smith's two-year extension through the 2015 season. Smith's extension averages $4.35 million per season over the 2014 and 2015 seasons, the new years added to the deal. As part of the deal, Smith's scheduled $8 million salary for 2013 was converted to a $6.56 million signing bonus, a $940,000 base salary with a $500,000 workout bonus and a $100,000 roster bonus. Under the new deal, he is scheduled to earn $8.1 million this season. The conversion of salary to signing bonus moved Smith's cap figure from $8 million to $3.726 million, the source said. He is scheduled to earn $4.55 million in 2014 with a $3.15 million salary and a $1.4 million roster bonus. In 2015, he is scheduled to receive $2.65 million in base salary with a $1.4 million roster bonus.

This is pretty much exactly what I had suggested before the draft. Converting most of his base salary into a signing bonus, lowering his cap hit. When will you guys understand I'm a genius.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: