Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins would welcome Tanard Jackson back
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Redskins would welcome Tanard Jackson back Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/16/redskins-would-welcome-tanard-jackson-back-with-open-arms/

Quote:
Jackson will be eligible for reinstatement just before the start of the regular season and the Redskins will get a roster exemption of a few weeks to decide whether or not to put Jackson on the roster. That decision will obviously have much to do with how Jackson looks once he’s allowed to resume practicing with the team and with what the team’s other safeties do in training camp and the preseason, but defensive coordinator Jim Haslett certainly sounds like he’s eager to get the chance to make that decision.

“Obviously if we got Tanard back, you know that’s another bonus because he’s a heck of a football player. I don’t know where that stands with the NFL, but we’d welcome [him] back with open arms,” Haslett said, via Rich Tandler of CSNWashington.com.
Sounds like positive news for Jackson having a spot to try out for this team the first two weeks of the season, if he's reinstated by the NFL
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bowilson


Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Posts: 15
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I don't want Jackson back. The Redskins as a team are heading in a positive direction and his presence could hinder that progress. Plus with Jackson coming back, this would take valuable practice time away from some of our promising young talent. I say we move on and wish him well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're saying there bowilson. Still, we have to keep him in our back pocket just in case our rookies aren't ready or something else bad happens.

The problem with our safety group is we currently only have 1 true free safety our 6th round pick (Bicarri Rambo) and that's a major problem.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
S. Taylor


Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Posts: 11294
Location: By the Lake
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he get a playbook last season?
Did his suspension limit his ability to sit in on team meetings and practices and such?


With the knowledge of a possible season-long suspension, they signed him, so I would suspect that they're interested in his talent and ability.

If (and it's a big if) he comes in healthy, in-shape, and a year of being with the team, I think he makes for good depth. If he can beat out Gomes, or if one of the rookie safeties struggles, I'm sure a healthy Tanard Jackson would be a good safety net.
_________________
"The key to life is working harder than your situation. Work harder than your situation..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 8047
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 strikes my friend. its time to hit the road and dont look back.

Tanard Jackson was only good because he was on PED's. Plain and simple.

I dont really care if our S's are not ready, what example do you set for a guy that has been suspended by the league and you still bring him in.

No thanks, make way for someone to step up. Or just sink with what you have. That is how I would prefer it.
_________________

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 4056
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
3 strikes my friend. its time to hit the road and dont look back.

Tanard Jackson was only good because he was on PED's. Plain and simple.

I dont really care if our S's are not ready, what example do you set for a guy that has been suspended by the league and you still bring him in.

No thanks, make way for someone to step up. Or just sink with what you have. That is how I would prefer it.


PED's ??? You may be right but I thought it was weed.. Think
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
mike23md wrote:
3 strikes my friend. its time to hit the road and dont look back.

Tanard Jackson was only good because he was on PED's. Plain and simple.

I dont really care if our S's are not ready, what example do you set for a guy that has been suspended by the league and you still bring him in.

No thanks, make way for someone to step up. Or just sink with what you have. That is how I would prefer it.


PED's ??? You may be right but I thought it was weed.. Think
I thought so also, he's a recreational drug user, not a cheater on the field as far as I ever knew

Did you know that since Shanahan was hired we lead the league with 7 players suspended because of drugs?

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1em1n9/since_2010_three_teams_account_for_50_of_all_nfl/

To add to Mike23md's comment about Tanard not being a good example for our young players, what about our head coach.

Dating back to his time with the Broncos and Romanowski, Shanahan has signed and I guess you can say harbored people that used PEDs
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20880
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
Did he get a playbook last season?
Did his suspension limit his ability to sit in on team meetings and practices and such?


I'm pretty sure that if you are suspended, then there is no contact. This is why the Redskins have absolutely no idea where Jackson is in his conditioning nor how well he knows the playbook. That assumes the playbook has not changed all that much from 2012 to 2013. He might have had to turn his in when he was suspended.

Quote:
With the knowledge of a possible season-long suspension, they signed him, so I would suspect that they're interested in his talent and ability.


I am pretty sure he failed the most recent after they signed him. They knew that he might fail the appeals process, but they kept him because of his talent (and I suspect Raheem Morris).

Quote:
If (and it's a big if) he comes in healthy, in-shape, and a year of being with the team, I think he makes for good depth. If he can beat out Gomes, or if one of the rookie safeties struggles, I'm sure a healthy Tanard Jackson would be a good safety net.


Given that they'll get a roster exemption for him, this makes a bit more sense. Otherwise, I'd cut him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read today that Tanard Jackson got zippy! In terms of contract and being around there's as Woz said.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 8047
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackson missed 4 games in 09', 14 in 11' and all of 2012. What kind of shape can he be in and how long would it take for him to get back into football focus? I go with the guys we got and leave it at that. I would rather cut him and call it a day and move on with the talent we have that we just drafted.
_________________

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Jackson missed 4 games in 09', 14 in 11' and all of 2012. What kind of shape can he be in and how long would it take for him to get back into football focus? I go with the guys we got and leave it at that. I would rather cut him and call it a day and move on with the talent we have that we just drafted.
i think they want to keep him around list in case, given we have the roster exemption for two weeks, that makes sense
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
markrc99


Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowilson wrote: "... The Redskins as a team are heading in a positive direction and his presence could hinder that progress. Plus [he] would take valuable practice time away from some of our promising young talent. I say we move on..."

mike23md wrote: "I dont really care if our S's are not ready, what example do you set for a guy that has been suspended by the league and you still bring him in. No thanks, make way for someone to step up. Or just sink with what you have."

Woz wrote: "Given that they'll get a roster exemption for him, this makes a bit more sense. Otherwise, I'd cut him."

Yeah, these are certainly valid points & warrant releasing the guy. They're taking into account his physical attributes & skill set. Less relevant is that he keeps testing positive for marijuana. Just because he smokes pot doesn't mean he's a bad presence in the locker room. If he were, if he was somebody that wasn't coachable, I don't think they'd even bother. It's more than Raheem Morris, Bruce Allen was with Tampa then, he drafted Jackson. Guys like Brett Favre & Mark Chmura were known for their drinking, but consuming alcohol is not a violation. We went over this with respect to Fred Davis, enforcement of league policy is weak. Avoiding detection is not difficult.

They just need to go to him and straighten this thing out. No, that isn't it, you can party on your own time. But you can't come into practice, let alone on game day, drunk! You understand that, right? Well, we can't have you in here stoned either. You already know this, but here are the hoops you need to jump through to play. We're going to help you do it! Yes, it's all just league PR, it's all BS. Do you want to play some football or not, just tell us.

I've read that Haslett expects one of the two rookies to start at safety. I think Amerson is going to start and Biggers, Minnifield or Crawford could very well unseat Wilson over the x-slot. A whole new starting unit wouldn't surprise me. I'm including Brandon Meriweather because he only played in one game. That's the part I get, holding players accountable & sinking with a new group, if that's what's going to happen. At least there's the hope of some up side in the latter half of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
bowilson wrote: "... The Redskins as a team are heading in a positive direction and his presence could hinder that progress. Plus [he] would take valuable practice time away from some of our promising young talent. I say we move on..."

mike23md wrote: "I dont really care if our S's are not ready, what example do you set for a guy that has been suspended by the league and you still bring him in. No thanks, make way for someone to step up. Or just sink with what you have."

Woz wrote: "Given that they'll get a roster exemption for him, this makes a bit more sense. Otherwise, I'd cut him."

Yeah, these are certainly valid points & warrant releasing the guy. They're taking into account his physical attributes & skill set. Less relevant is that he keeps testing positive for marijuana. Just because he smokes pot doesn't mean he's a bad presence in the locker room. If he were, if he was somebody that wasn't coachable, I don't think they'd even bother. It's more than Raheem Morris, Bruce Allen was with Tampa then, he drafted Jackson. Guys like Brett Favre & Mark Chmura were known for their drinking, but consuming alcohol is not a violation. We went over this with respect to Fred Davis, enforcement of league policy is weak. Avoiding detection is not difficult.

They just need to go to him and straighten this thing out. No, that isn't it, you can party on your own time. But you can't come into practice, let alone on game day, drunk! You understand that, right? Well, we can't have you in here stoned either. You already know this, but here are the hoops you need to jump through to play. We're going to help you do it! Yes, it's all just league PR, it's all BS. Do you want to play some football or not, just tell us.

I've read that Haslett expects one of the two rookies to start at safety. I think Amerson is going to start and Biggers, Minnifield or Crawford could very well unseat Wilson over the x-slot. A whole new starting unit wouldn't surprise me. I'm including Brandon Meriweather because he only played in one game. That's the part I get, holding players accountable & sinking with a new group, if that's what's going to happen. At least there's the hope of some up side in the latter half of the season.
Definitely possible at some point during the season, I don't see it playing out that way week 1. Early in the season, I see the experienced players will likely start and the young guys will be worked in, in special packages during the game. This will continue to happen until the young guys and new guys are ready.

Week 1 until they rookies and Biggers are ready to start:

RCB: Wilson, Biggers, Crawford
LCB: Hall, Amerson
SS: Doughty, Thomas
FS: Meriweather, Rambo
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
markrc99


Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote: "Definitely possible at some point during the season, I don't see it playing out that way week 1. Early in the season, I see the experienced players will likely start and the young guys will be worked in, in special packages during the game. This will continue to happen until the young guys and new guys are ready.

Week 1, until the rookies and Biggers are ready to start:

RCB: Wilson, Biggers, Crawford
LCB: Hall, Amerson
SS: Doughty, Thomas
FS: Meriweather, Rambo"


I suppose the same old, beleaguered group could be rewarded with starter status but I believe that would be a bad mistake. You of course have London Fletcher on the field in passing situations & you're going to send that group to Green Bay with what chance to win? I don't know how well you understand the Packers, but anytime there's a favorable matchup, that's a passing situation for them. Putting Hall, Doughty & Fletcher all on the field at the same time gives this team no chance to win, unless the offense scores 40pts. If David Amerson & these two safeties aren't good enough to beat out the guy who has given up more yards than nearly every other CB over the last two years & Madieu Williams backup, then this team drafted very poorly! De' Hall is gritty, won't back down, is durable and will tackle. In a straight line he appears like he can still run, but he is so undisciplined. Just keeps freelancing, doesn't care how many times he guesses wrong. Has his own plan which constantly undermines Jim Haslett's authority. Rubbed off, as lesser paid players were caught doing the same thing. He's not a player I'd have brought back.

Accordingly, Chicago & New England both tried Brandon Meriweather at FS & he didn't fare all that well. In the article below Rich Tandler notes that he's better suited to play SS, which then leads him to believe that Rambo will start at FS with Thomas backing up Meriweather. I feel the schedule really favors starting the younger players right away. Philly is retooling & implementing a whole new system & that opener is at home. The experience gained by going up against Aaron Rodgers and that Packer offense is priceless! Then they come back home & play Detroit, then on the road vs Oakland, then the bye week. You couldn't pay for a better schedule to start a secondary comprised of new players.
Quote:
"Earlier this month at minicamp the Redskins defensive coordinator said the following when asked if it was realistic to think that either Phillip Thomas or Bacarri Rambo could start this year: “I think one of them. Yeah, I really do think one of them will be on the grass. I’m not sure which one, but one of them I think is going to have to... I think they’ll all help us. I think all three of them are going to help us. I just don’t know to what extent yet.” ... “He’s got great ball skills,” Haslett said of Thomas. “[He] has the ability to come up with key plays, big interceptions. Both of them [Thomas and second-round CB David Amerson] led the NCAA in interceptions. Phillip’s got good size, good enough speed. The guy likes football, understands football, studies football.” ... But with Brandon Meriweather being better suited to the strong safety spot it might make more sense to have Rambo on the field with him. ... So the late-June view of the situation is that if one of the two rookies is lining up as a starter either in Week 1 or very early in the season it is likely to be Rambo." http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/haslett-thinks-rookie-safety-will-start

Note Haslett's wording, he's not saying it would be nice if one of the rookies stepped up, he's saying one of them is going to have to! Seems to me the guy who has a chance to make a push as the season wears on is Tanard Jackson. Again, I agree with what was said earlier, sink on a new ship. The old one isn't seaworthy, to state it mildly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
turtle28 wrote: "Definitely possible at some point during the season, I don't see it playing out that way week 1. Early in the season, I see the experienced players will likely start and the young guys will be worked in, in special packages during the game. This will continue to happen until the young guys and new guys are ready.

Week 1, until the rookies and Biggers are ready to start:

RCB: Wilson, Biggers, Crawford
LCB: Hall, Amerson
SS: Doughty, Thomas
FS: Meriweather, Rambo"


I suppose the same old, beleaguered group could be rewarded with starter status but I believe that would be a bad mistake. You of course have London Fletcher on the field in passing situations & you're going to send that group to Green Bay with what chance to win? I don't know how well you understand the Packers, but anytime there's a favorable matchup, that's a passing situation for them. Putting Hall, Doughty & Fletcher all on the field at the same time gives this team no chance to win, unless the offense scores 40pts. If David Amerson & these two safeties aren't good enough to beat out the guy who has given up more yards than nearly every other CB over the last two years & Madieu Williams backup, then this team drafted very poorly! De' Hall is gritty, won't back down, is durable and will tackle. In a straight line he appears like he can still run, but he is so undisciplined. Just keeps freelancing, doesn't care how many times he guesses wrong. Has his own plan which constantly undermines Jim Haslett's authority. Rubbed off, as lesser paid players were caught doing the same thing. He's not a player I'd have brought back.

Accordingly, Chicago & New England both tried Brandon Meriweather at FS & he didn't fare all that well. In the article below Rich Tandler notes that he's better suited to play SS, which then leads him to believe that Rambo will start at FS with Thomas backing up Meriweather. I feel the schedule really favors starting the younger players right away. Philly is retooling & implementing a whole new system & that opener is at home. The experience gained by going up against Aaron Rodgers and that Packer offense is priceless! Then they come back home & play Detroit, then on the road vs Oakland, then the bye week. You couldn't pay for a better schedule to start a secondary comprised of new players.
Quote:
"Earlier this month at minicamp the Redskins defensive coordinator said the following when asked if it was realistic to think that either Phillip Thomas or Bacarri Rambo could start this year: “I think one of them. Yeah, I really do think one of them will be on the grass. I’m not sure which one, but one of them I think is going to have to... I think they’ll all help us. I think all three of them are going to help us. I just don’t know to what extent yet.” ... “He’s got great ball skills,” Haslett said of Thomas. “[He] has the ability to come up with key plays, big interceptions. Both of them [Thomas and second-round CB David Amerson] led the NCAA in interceptions. Phillip’s got good size, good enough speed. The guy likes football, understands football, studies football.” ... But with Brandon Meriweather being better suited to the strong safety spot it might make more sense to have Rambo on the field with him. ... So the late-June view of the situation is that if one of the two rookies is lining up as a starter either in Week 1 or very early in the season it is likely to be Rambo." http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/haslett-thinks-rookie-safety-will-start

Note Haslett's wording, he's not saying it would be nice if one of the rookies stepped up, he's saying one of them is going to have to! Seems to me the guy who has a chance to make a push as the season wears on is Tanard Jackson. Again, I agree with what was said earlier, sink on a new ship. The old one isn't seaworthy, to state it mildly.
The best players will play. Not who "might" be the best player in a month, the second half of the season or next year. We'll see what happens.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group