Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Desmond Bishop - the answer to our hole at MLB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
VikeManDan


Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1536
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:


....however, one thing that upsets me even more is how we missed out on a diamond in the rough last year (Vontaze Burfict). In every one of my mocks, I had us drafting him late or signing him as an UDFA. Just about everyone on this forum thought I was crazy to even bother with him.


I was in that boat as well, while he has only been in the league one year things look good for him.
_________________
Vigilante STL wrote:
Take me up on an avatar bet: Cordarelle Patterson gets no more than 775 receiving yards in 2014
Patterson Stat Tracker:
17 rec. 204 yards 0 TDs
571 yards to go
10 games left
Must average 57.1 to reach 775
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikesnewcoach11


Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 1592
Location: Watertown, New York
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:


....however, one thing that upsets me even more is how we missed out on a diamond in the rough last year (Vontaze Burfict). In every one of my mocks, I had us drafting him late or signing him as an UDFA. Just about everyone on this forum thought I was crazy to even bother with him.


I was in that boat as well, while he has only been in the league one year things look good for him.


Im glad I had someone with me on this one Laughing

I mean this guy was a projected first rounder that fell out of the draft. I had us drafting him in the 6th in one mock, 7th in another, and then getting him as an UDFA. Most 7th round picks struggle to make the team, let alone get any playing time. He would have been a steal in the 7th. If he doesnt pan out then we let him go just like 90% of 7th round picks. Big deal.

Instead we draft Trevor Guyton who is now where?....out of the league. Embarassed
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25288
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:


....however, one thing that upsets me even more is how we missed out on a diamond in the rough last year (Vontaze Burfict). In every one of my mocks, I had us drafting him late or signing him as an UDFA. Just about everyone on this forum thought I was crazy to even bother with him.


I was in that boat as well, while he has only been in the league one year things look good for him.


Im glad I had someone with me on this one Laughing

I mean this guy was a projected first rounder that fell out of the draft. I had us drafting him in the 6th in one mock, 7th in another, and then getting him as an UDFA. Most 7th round picks struggle to make the team, let alone get any playing time. He would have been a steal in the 7th. If he doesnt pan out then we let him go just like 90% of 7th round picks. Big deal.

Instead we draft Trevor Guyton who is now where?....out of the league. Embarassed

Hindsight arguments like that carry absolutely no weight.

We already know that Rick Spielman removes more players from his big board due to red flags than anyone else the past few years. Burfict also does numerous different things as a LB in Cincy's system then he would have been asked to do in ours. Who's to say he would have succeeded in our system.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikesnewcoach11


Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 1592
Location: Watertown, New York
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:


....however, one thing that upsets me even more is how we missed out on a diamond in the rough last year (Vontaze Burfict). In every one of my mocks, I had us drafting him late or signing him as an UDFA. Just about everyone on this forum thought I was crazy to even bother with him.


I was in that boat as well, while he has only been in the league one year things look good for him.


Im glad I had someone with me on this one Laughing

I mean this guy was a projected first rounder that fell out of the draft. I had us drafting him in the 6th in one mock, 7th in another, and then getting him as an UDFA. Most 7th round picks struggle to make the team, let alone get any playing time. He would have been a steal in the 7th. If he doesnt pan out then we let him go just like 90% of 7th round picks. Big deal.

Instead we draft Trevor Guyton who is now where?....out of the league. Embarassed

Hindsight arguments like that carry absolutely no weight.

We already know that Rick Spielman removes more players from his big board due to red flags than anyone else the past few years. Burfict also does numerous different things as a LB in Cincy's system then he would have been asked to do in ours. Who's to say he would have succeeded in our system.


Doesnt Cincy run a 4-3 as well?? Either way, Burfict had a lot of the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. It was more the mental/behavioral aspect.

I'm sure Spielman probably did cross him off the big board but I truly believe we wouldnt be in the situation we are in now at LB if he was on this team.

I mean a 7th round pick or getting him as an UDFA wouldnt have hurt. We have a great staff here that I believe would have kept him under control. Like I said, if he turns into an idiot then let him go but its a very high reward if he is kept in line.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25288
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Doesnt Cincy run a 4-3 as well??

So you're under the impression all 43 fronts are the same and ask their players to do all of the same things?
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikesnewcoach11


Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 1592
Location: Watertown, New York
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Doesnt Cincy run a 4-3 as well??

So you're under the impression all 43 fronts are the same and ask their players to do all of the same things?


I didnt say that. It's just that it's a similar defense is all. It's not like we're talking about a 4-3 and a 3-4 here.

I truly believe Burfict would be a solid LB for us right now and there is a good chance we could have focused our 2014 early draft picks on a bigger need. Instead, we are pretty much desperate for a LB within the first two rounds
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6978
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Instead we draft Trevor Guyton who is now where?....out of the league. Embarassed


vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Most 7th round picks struggle to make the team, let alone get any playing time. If he doesnt pan out then we let him go just like 90% of 7th round picks. Big deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swiss_vike


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 921
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
I truly believe Burfict would be a solid LB for us right now and there is a good chance we could have focused our 2014 early draft picks on a bigger need. Instead, we are pretty much desperate for a LB within the first two rounds


Looks like it today. Could be totally different once the season ends. Who knows, maybe Erin really blossoms and establishes himself as one of the finer MLB's in the league. Remember, he was slowly climbing up the OLB ranks too.

Maybe Bishop shows us enought and can stay healthy to not worry about OLB in the first 2 rounds.

I think our biggest needs in defense will be the Line, not the Backers.
_________________
Ponder is not done in Minnesota...yet. I think now, he might be. Will miss you, Samantha Hottie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikesnewcoach11


Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 1592
Location: Watertown, New York
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
I truly believe Burfict would be a solid LB for us right now and there is a good chance we could have focused our 2014 early draft picks on a bigger need. Instead, we are pretty much desperate for a LB within the first two rounds


Looks like it today. Could be totally different once the season ends. Who knows, maybe Erin really blossoms and establishes himself as one of the finer MLB's in the league. Remember, he was slowly climbing up the OLB ranks too.

Maybe Bishop shows us enought and can stay healthy to not worry about OLB in the first 2 rounds.

I think our biggest needs in defense will be the Line, not the Backers.


Oh I agree. I'm just speaking more in terms if bishop didn't make the team for whatever reason. Our LBs could end up playing well but could suck. We will soon see
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 22900
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burfict is irrelevant. And for the record, Cincinnati passed on Burfict 10 times. No-one should be surprised that all teams passed on him in the draft, considering all his flaws from his Ray Edwards-like insubordination to his extremely poor performances in the combine and pro days.

The fact that he has even been a moderate success thus far is a miracle in itself, but we don't even know yet that his success will be sustaining. The Bengals certainly have a history of having players have some moderate success and then flame out of the league quicker than you can say "Who dey!"
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vikesnewcoach11


Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 1592
Location: Watertown, New York
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Burfict is irrelevant. And for the record, Cincinnati passed on Burfict 10 times. No-one should be surprised that all teams passed on him in the draft, considering all his flaws from his Ray Edwards-like insubordination to his extremely poor performances in the combine and pro days.

The fact that he has even been a moderate success thus far is a miracle in itself, but we don't even know yet that his success will be sustaining. The Bengals certainly have a history of having players have some moderate success and then flame out of the league quicker than you can say "Who dey!"


Right but they still took a chance on him as an UDFA. Something I said we could/should have done
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74398
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common thought on Bishop heading into the preseason was that it was only a matter of time before he was "back" from his injury. Judging by the way he's been playing the two final weeks of the preseason, it may be safe to say that he's back and having him side-by-side with Henderson and Greenway could give the Vikings the strongest linebacking corps that they've had in a long while.

Bishop: "I feel good. I feel like Iím ready. I think Iím doing a pretty good job. The scary part is that I still have a lot of potential to fulfill, so Iím excited."

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=11614707#ixzz2dSR1TBqx
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikes_Bolts1228


Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 3772
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishop tore his ACL during yesterday's game according to Coach Frazier.

The MLB that never was....
_________________
"Man, Adrian Peterson doesn't get tackled. He just decides that's enough for one carry."

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74398
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
Bishop tore his ACL during yesterday's game according to Coach Frazier.

oof.

yeah, he reacted like he knew it happened too. he was very frustrated.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UpperDecker30


Joined: 08 Sep 2013
Posts: 701
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
Bishop tore his ACL during yesterday's game according to Coach Frazier.

The MLB that never was....


Just saw this, ugh. One of the very few on this defense that was actually doing well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group