Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Desmond Bishop - the answer to our hole at MLB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FuriousStyles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
chuck44 wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
c'mon, he's one GB fan and a fairly new member to FF. give him the benefit of the doubt he can learn we have different standards here.

he doesn't pollute an entire fanbase.

On the other hand, he's not exactly the first Packer to make a nuisance of himself on the Vikings forum, it seems to be a bit of a running theme with them. Perhaps the fanbase should police itself more, or at least keep the litter in their own forum.

They do it because the Vikings have closed the gap on GB hold of the North..with our draft and the players we brought in(thanks TT) ...Aaron Rodgers is in for a long season....Ap might get 600 in 2 games this year
First off, there is at least one Packer fan comes here just looking for some friendly banter. Not all of "us" are looking to troll just like not all of "you" are innocent of doing the same. Goes both ways. Either way, the name cooling and obvious troll attempts are stupid and childish. If you can't keep a level head, don't come in here.

Second, the gap isn't closed by the Vikings IMO. Most fans of other teams, meaning no affiliation to either one of our teams, would put GB as the top dog still me thinks. You guys brought in Greggers and that's a huge FA move there. Only will help IMO. You mention the draft though like the Packers didnt have a great draft as well. Jones should add some much needed depth to our pass rush while Lacy and Franklin should finally give us a running game. Then add that we get Perry back from injury and I love our chances to stay at the top.

Honestly, the off season additions aren't the biggest thing to me in the argument over who's top dog. Comes down to whether Ponder can progress from his sophomore year for the Vikings. And for GB, it comes down to our defense being able to improve with players like McMillian and Perry coming into their 2nd years. That and us staying healthy for once.

Eddie lacy doesnt impress me..and you still need a line to block for him...he needs a hole to run..your pass blocking is horrible...JA kills you guys and he played with one arm all year...now with a healthly JA ....a top tackle prospect in Shariff Floyd who will push the pocket up the middle..with Allen and Robinson flying from the outside..wouldnt wannbe Aaron rodgers....Not to mention 2 shut down corners and one of the better young safties in the league....Rodgers task got much harder.....OH did I mention we still have AP....with a much upgraded Wr corp..... Ponder was playing very well the last four games of the year till the injury...even if he plays the same this year ...the defense and the upgrades on offense make this an improved team ...who finished 10-6 last year

Chuck.... ever consider... writing children's fiction...

I'd suggest an editor, though.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuriousStyles wrote:
chuck44 wrote:
Eddie lacy doesnt impress me..and you still need a line to block for him...he needs a hole to run..your pass blocking is horrible...JA kills you guys and he played with one arm all year...now with a healthly JA ....a top tackle prospect in Shariff Floyd who will push the pocket up the middle..with Allen and Robinson flying from the outside..wouldnt wannbe Aaron rodgers....Not to mention 2 shut down corners and one of the better young safties in the league....Rodgers task got much harder.....OH did I mention we still have AP....with a much upgraded Wr corp..... Ponder was playing very well the last four games of the year till the injury...even if he plays the same this year ...the defense and the upgrades on offense make this an improved team ...who finished 10-6 last year

Chuck.... ever consider... writing children's fiction...

I'd suggest an editor, though.

Chuck's post was proofread and edited by Jermichael Finley. He said it looked great. Dancing
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier: "I would say that’s unlikely [that Bishop will play vs Houston.] He’s going to try some things today, but I’m not expecting that he’s going to play, no. He could surprise me and go out there and look very good this afternoon, but as we speak right now, I wouldn’t expect it."

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Frazier-Provides-Health-Updates-On-Jared-Allen-Harrison-Smith-and-Others/c4fc1e22-c537-4d69-a624-afcd8717a679

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier: “This is going to determine whether or not he makes our team. So much of this is about how he plays over the next two weeks. Or if he’s not available because of his injury. I can’t say it any simpler than that. It’s a big two weeks for him. He needs to show us he can help our football team in order to make our team.”

Bishop: “This is an urgent time for me right now. And not to put extra pressure on myself, but urgent to go out and do what I’ve been doing since I was 8. There’s an urgency there. But there’s also a calm and a real confidence there.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/219344421.html

Webmaster wrote:
Purplexing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Frazier: “This is going to determine whether or not he makes our team. So much of this is about how he plays over the next two weeks. Or if he’s not available because of his injury. I can’t say it any simpler than that. It’s a big two weeks for him. He needs to show us he can help our football team in order to make our team.”

Bishop: “This is an urgent time for me right now. And not to put extra pressure on myself, but urgent to go out and do what I’ve been doing since I was 8. There’s an urgency there. But there’s also a calm and a real confidence there.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/219344421.html

Bishop's spot to be taken by a rook?
Smile

I don't think the Vikings necessarily need Bishop IF the yutes are doing fair or well. There are two vets in the crew (Greenway and Henderson) to provide leadership for the 3rd LB.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'd rather see them cut Bishop at this point. Right now he'd be the third linebacker at best, as Greenway and Henderson have the nickel package locked up. Add to that, I thought Cole, Mauti, and Hodges all looked solid in the first preseason game, and from all accounts, all three have had good camps. Then you add McKenzie, who does have some playing experience, and Dean as the two top special teamers, and I just don't see a space for Bishop.

In short, I'd hate to see the team cut one of the backers we have for a guy who is a huge question mark to stay healthy.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree that if Mitchell and Hodges show enough to move forward with and Bishop can't pickup the defense, he should be cut.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting battle indeed! I love the competition at LB, it should bring out the best from each player and benefit the team as a whole in the long run. I personally hope Bishop wins/earns a spot on the 53 man roster. If he earns that coveted LB spot on the roster, it means he had to rise above the rest of the competition and that simply makes our team better. Who loses out if Bishop earns a spot on the 53 man roster...I'm not sure! Maybe it comes down to McKenzie, Mitchell or Dean being cut and/or one of the following, Hodges/Cole/Mauti, spending next year on the PS. The ability to play BOTH special teams and possible meaningful snaps at LB will also come into play.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishop made four tackles, playing mostly in the nickel package the Vikings used for most of the second half, and gave them a taste of his pass-rushing ability when he sent a blocking back staggering with his shoulder and met safety Andrew Sendejo in the backfield to share a sack of Buffalo quarterback EJ Manuel.

But Bishop said he missed a couple tackles early, as the Bills' no-huddle offense kept the Vikings' nickel package on the field without a break. He also was the closest player to Buffalo wide receiver Brad Smith when Manuel found him in the corner of the end zone in the third quarter, though Bishop chuckled and said Smith was "absolutely not" his responsibility on the 4-yard touchdown pass.

Bishop: "There were a couple plays I wanted back. Those kind of nullified my sack a little bit. It's all part of the game. Every single snap I had, I was just grateful for them. I was a little rusty. I think my adrenaline kind of got the best of me on the first couple plays. That first drive, that first time I got in there on a long drive, it was kind of hectic. But it was fun."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_23885813/minnesota-vikings-linebacker-desmond-bishop-relieved-get-first?source=rss

Webmaster wrote:
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Desmond-Bishop-Interview--Highlights/f8d4eb28-9929-417f-96de-78b789a8988a

This clip shows a few of Bishop's plays he made during the Buffalo game. Yes, he's playing against 2nd teamers but that's not what I'm noticing in these clips. I've noticed that he still looks to be quite explosive. It doesnt look like that hamstring or groin is effecting him anymore. Coaches were impressed with his play which was a good sign. SF will definitely be a big test but personally, I really think we should keep him.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure Marvin Mitchell has been a journeyman for a reason and I really cant imagine throwing a 4th round rookie (Hodges) in there this early. I also believe the more Bishop gets into this system, the better he will be.

Henderson already makes me nervous enough in the middle and if we pair him up with Mitchell or Hodges it could be a disaster. I mean does anyone really think Marvin Mitchell will be that much better vs. the run or in coverage than Bishop?? I highly doubt it. Bishop is a pro's pro and has had experience in the middle and outside and I feel Henderson would benefit from this. I know everyone wants to go youth, but it never hurts to have a few vets, especially when your youth isnt the most talented.

....however, one thing that upsets me even more is how we missed out on a diamond in the rough last year (Vontaze Burfict). In every one of my mocks, I had us drafting him late or signing him as an UDFA. Just about everyone on this forum thought I was crazy to even bother with him. In turn, Cincy gets him as an UDFA and he leads the team in tackles as a rookie and looks to have his head on straight. (I thought about this tonight after watching Hard Knocks on demand.) The coaches on there were raving about him and it seems like we definitely missed out on this one. Just sayin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishop seems likely to make the team, and he definitely should be starting if he has a strong performance against the 49ers.

Marvin Mitchell is a good backup to have around as he has experience playing all three LB spots. He also adds value as a special teams player where he is solid.

Gerald Hodges is a nice looking young LB that this team can groom to be the WLB in a year or two.

I think there is room on the team for these three players.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

So you think Dean and McKenzy will not make it?
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bishop is on the team, then Mitchell won't be.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
If Bishop is on the team, then McKenzie won't be.
Fixed, Mitchell would then still be the top backup at two positions.

Greenway
Henderson
Bishop
Mitchell
Dean
Hodges
Cole or Mauti

IMO
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

So you think Dean and McKenzy will not make it?

I think they will definitely let Mckenzie go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: