Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Desmond Bishop - the answer to our hole at MLB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Vikes cut Bishop before the season starts, he's only due 50K in guaranteed dollars. If he's on the Week 1 roster, he gets 850K guaranteed.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id guess that Bishop probably is on the roster when the season starts. Either as a starter or for depth purposes.

Even if Henderson beats out Bishop, Bishop could be a backup and special teams player. At his salary, he really doesnt cost the team much. not being able to overcome the injury is what will likely prevent Bishop from making the team.

An injury to Henderson, and the Vikes are relying on young 7th round picks. Id rather have Bishop be that top backup at MLB if Henderson is the starting MLB. For this to happen though, Hodges would have to be the starter at WLB. Which is not completely unlikely, he should be part of the mix.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
chuck44 wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
c'mon, he's one GB fan and a fairly new member to FF. give him the benefit of the doubt he can learn we have different standards here.

he doesn't pollute an entire fanbase.

On the other hand, he's not exactly the first Packer to make a nuisance of himself on the Vikings forum, it seems to be a bit of a running theme with them. Perhaps the fanbase should police itself more, or at least keep the litter in their own forum.

They do it because the Vikings have closed the gap on GB hold of the North..with our draft and the players we brought in(thanks TT) ...Aaron Rodgers is in for a long season....Ap might get 600 in 2 games this year
First off, there is at least one Packer fan comes here just looking for some friendly banter. Not all of "us" are looking to troll just like not all of "you" are innocent of doing the same. Goes both ways. Either way, the name cooling and obvious troll attempts are stupid and childish. If you can't keep a level head, don't come in here.

Second, the gap isn't closed by the Vikings IMO. Most fans of other teams, meaning no affiliation to either one of our teams, would put GB as the top dog still me thinks. You guys brought in Greggers and that's a huge FA move there. Only will help IMO. You mention the draft though like the Packers didnt have a great draft as well. Jones should add some much needed depth to our pass rush while Lacy and Franklin should finally give us a running game. Then add that we get Perry back from injury and I love our chances to stay at the top.

Honestly, the off season additions aren't the biggest thing to me in the argument over who's top dog. Comes down to whether Ponder can progress from his sophomore year for the Vikings. And for GB, it comes down to our defense being able to improve with players like McMillian and Perry coming into their 2nd years. That and us staying healthy for once.

I agree
Vikings got stronger at starting D-Line, WR, Secondary relative to Vikings last year. As of right now even if AP "only" does 1700 yards, we're im the conversation for a wild card spot. If we want to take the North the Viking QB position needs to take a step forward thru organic growth by Ponder.

The LB position is a push, we lost Winfield who played slot, and lost Brinkley (yay), and added a couple prospects and the intriguing Bishop. If Bishop can play at 80% of his previous effectiveness, then the starting LBs also got an upgrade.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:
I think Bishop helps the LB's, which is considered by most the weakest part of the defense now. Wasn't their picture of him this week wearing #60?? I think that was Roy Winston's number?? Right VD? Didn't the Vikings retire that number?

As to the Vikings and Packers rivalry...I expect this season will see the two teams more closely matched than ever. It will be dog fight.

Are linebackers allowed to wear number 60? I thought they had to wear number 50-59 or 90-99? Is that wrong thinking?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:
I think Bishop helps the LB's, which is considered by most the weakest part of the defense now. Wasn't their picture of him this week wearing #60?? I think that was Roy Winston's number?? Right VD? Didn't the Vikings retire that number?

Webmaster wrote:

Last edited by vike daddy on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:

As to the Vikings and Packers rivalry...I expect this season will see the two teams more closely matched than ever. It will be dog fight.

Are linebackers allowed to wear number 60? I thought they had to wear number 50-59 or 90-99? Is that wrong thinking?

LBs can wear 50-59 and 90-99 but at this point, there are probably not any 50 or 90 numbers that are open. once the cuts start occurring during camp, a number will open up for him.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
If the Vikes cut Bishop before the season starts, he's only due 50K in guaranteed dollars. If he's on the Week 1 roster, he gets 850K guaranteed.

The Minnesota Vikings took minimal risk with the deal they gave linebacker Desmond Bishop this week. According to sources with knowledge of the contract, Bishop received a minimum base salary of $750,000, of which just $50,000 is fully guaranteed.

Bishop can make another $100,000 in roster bonuses and $500,000 in playtime incentives, a source said, putting the maximum value of the deal at $1.35 million.

The impact on the Vikings' cap was minimal. They're now $6.862 million under their adjusted cap of $129.793 million, with their three first-round draft picks unsigned.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Desmond_Bishop_got_50K_guaranteed_max_value_of_135M_from_Vikings062813

Webmaster wrote:
byuvike88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:

LBs can wear 50-59 and 90-99 but at this point, there are probably not any 50 or 90 numbers that are open. once the cuts start occurring during camp, a number will open up for him.

That's what i thought, thank you for clarifying.
Duff Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
First off, there is at least one Packer fan comes here just looking for some friendly banter. Not all of "us" are looking to troll just like not all of "you" are innocent of doing the same. Goes both ways. Either way, the name cooling and obvious troll attempts are stupid and childish. If you can't keep a level head, don't come in here.

Second, the gap isn't closed by the Vikings IMO. Most fans of other teams, meaning no affiliation to either one of our teams, would put GB as the top dog still me thinks. You guys brought in Greggers and that's a huge FA move there. Only will help IMO. You mention the draft though like the Packers didnt have a great draft as well. Jones should add some much needed depth to our pass rush while Lacy and Franklin should finally give us a running game. Then add that we get Perry back from injury and I love our chances to stay at the top.

Honestly, the off season additions aren't the biggest thing to me in the argument over who's top dog. Comes down to whether Ponder can progress from his sophomore year for the Vikings. And for GB, it comes down to our defense being able to improve with players like McMillian and Perry coming into their 2nd years. That and us staying healthy for once.

Ok. I understand you're confidence, and I do agree that if the Vikings want to win the North they need to see improvement from Ponder.

However, the Vikings did have an amazing offseason (3 first-rounders, Jennings, Bishop). And even with atrocious WR's last year and a very inconsistent QB, they were one game from taking the division @ 10-6. Not necessarily saying the Packers had a bad offseason, but it's pretty tough to top what the Vikings did. Plus they didn't really address their O-line, which suprised me a bit. Hopefully the guys you do have get better, or Rodgers is going to be enjoying another 50+ sack season. So with all that being said, IMO the gap has been closed Very Happy
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gap between Packers and Vikings has reduced due to this offseason, but there is still a gap at the moment. It will take a very nice season from Ponder for the gap to be gone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff Man wrote:
Ketchup wrote:

Ok. I understand you're confidence, and I do agree that if the Vikings want to win the North they need to see improvement from Ponder.

However, the Vikings did have an amazing offseason (3 first-rounders, Jennings, Bishop). And even with atrocious WR's last year and a very inconsistent QB, they were one game from taking the division @ 10-6. Not necessarily saying the Packers had a bad offseason, but it's pretty tough to top what the Vikings did. Plus they didn't really address their O-line, which suprised me a bit. Hopefully the guys you do have get better, or Rodgers is going to be enjoying another 50+ sack season. So with all that being said, IMO the gap has been closed Very Happy
When they signed Greg, I liked the move. When the draft rolled around and we all saw what the Vikings did with those 3 1st rounder, I loved it for the Vikings. Huge fan of Patterson. The Vikings had a great off season. No denying that.

As for our O-line, we did address it with some changes. The biggest thing is we get a healthy Bulaga back. Moved Bulaga, arguably our best o-lineman, to LT. Moved Sitton along with Bulaga to the left side to man LG. Then we have a straight battle for RT with Newhouse, Sherrod and Barclay. Will it be better is the question but we needed some change and definitely couldn't go into another season with Newhouse manning LT.

LIS earlier, I don't see the gap being changed much. The major questions with both teams are still there. Like always though, the season will be the tell all and it should be a fun ride.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Duff Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Duff Man wrote:
Ketchup wrote:

When they signed Greg, I liked the move. When the draft rolled around and we all saw what the Vikings did with those 3 1st rounder, I loved it for the Vikings. Huge fan of Patterson. The Vikings had a great off season. No denying that.

As for our O-line, we did address it with some changes. The biggest thing is we get a healthy Bulaga back. Moved Bulaga, arguably our best o-lineman, to LT. Moved Sitton along with Bulaga to the left side to man LG. Then we have a straight battle for RT with Newhouse, Sherrod and Barclay. Will it be better is the question but we needed some change and definitely couldn't go into another season with Newhouse manning LT.

LIS earlier, I don't see the gap being changed much. The major questions with both teams are still there. Like always though, the season will be the tell all and it should be a fun ride.

I agree with this for the most part. It will be interesting to see how your O-line performs this year, moving Bulaga over to the left side seems to be a pretty good decision.

I think it's going to be a very compelling year for the North. I honestly believe ANY of the 4 teams have a chance to win it this year, and I strongly believe that 2 teams out of the division will make the playoffs (and maybe even 3!)
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teams coming out of the north, whoever they are, will be greatly battle tested.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Vikings Instagram page, Bishop will wear number 59
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishop said before the Packers cut him that he was “100 percent” healthy, and if that’s true, he gives the Vikings something they’ve lacked in their linebacking group: a true thumper who can alter a game with big hits. He had eight sacks in his last two seasons with the Packers — an impressive total from the inside of a 3-4 scheme — and forced seven fumbles from 2008-11, matching Chad Greenway’s career total despite starting for just two of those seasons. The Vikings have improved on defense, but this is still a group short on players who create turnovers. If Bishop is back to his old self, he might help the Vikings in that area more than anywhere else.

He has been up and down in pass coverage — Pro Football Focus ranked him the 10th-best inside linebacker in the league there in 2010, before Bishop slipped to 37th there in 2011. Some of that might have been his surroundings; the 2010 Packers had one of the league’s best pass defenses, while the 2011 group was the league’s worst. But either he or Henderson will be asked to play middle linebacker in the nickel, as well, and in a Cover-2 scheme, the middle linebacker also has significant coverage responsibilities in the base defense. How Bishop covers tight ends in training camp will be worth watch, especially after Kyle Rudolph burned Henderson a time or two on seam routes in OTAs.

http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/2013/07/24/the-vikings-prove-it-series-desmond-bishop/

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: