Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Desmond Bishop - the answer to our hole at MLB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Desmond Bishop - the answer to our hole at MLB? Reply with quote

Inside linebacker Desmond Bishop, who was/will shortly be cut by the Packers, is expected to come to MN for a visit and workout in front of Vikings brass. He missed 2012 with a serious hamstring injury, but has repeatedly assured that he will be ready to go at full strength for the 2013 season. Bishop (6'2'', 238 lbs) is a 7-year veteran out of Cal. He is very quick and rangy, excelling in coverage. He is good at shooting gaps and making one-on-one tackles, but is average or slightly below at taking on blockers and fighting through trash. Nonetheless, could this be the athletic Mike LB Vikings' fans have been hoping for? Our last players to man the position, EJ Henderson and Jasper Brinkley, were thumpers who got exposed against the high-octane passing offenses in the NFC North. Bishop was arguably the Packers' best inside linebacker, but they may have not felt confident with his contract following his injury. What do you think, Vikings faithful, would Bishop look good in purple?

I personally like this move a lot. It allows Erin Henderson to slide back to Will LB, his natural position. It gives Gerald Hodges/Michael Mauti time to learn and mature without having the pressure of starting right away. It instantly improves our screen, short, and intermediate pass defense. If his hamstring checks out, Bishop would be an excellent pick-up, IMO.

UPDATE*: According to multiple sources, the Vikings are expected to "make a strong run" at Bishop.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/17/report-bishops-first-trip-to-minnesota/

According to Weston Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Bishop’s first visit once he’s officially a free agent is expected to be with the Vikings.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure now if the report is true that Bishop has been released, we should have a separate thread for it and not have the discussion continue in the Packer thread.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2013/06/17/desmond-bishop-release/2432259/

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers and Desmond Bishop could not agree on a restructured contract, so the veteran linebacker was released Monday, the team announced.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros:

Veteran MLB
Henderson moves to his natural WLB position
Good run defender

Cons:

Hodges wont get much of an opportunity, who is supposedly a good coverage LB
Another below average cover player
Injury concerns

Overall, this seems like a solid stop gap type move. Bishop can start at MLB, Henderson can start at WLB. Hodges can be eased into a role, and hopefully can see the field in passing situations if Bishop or Henderson are unable to improve in coverage.

If MN does sign him, i would expect for it to be a one year deal. The injury has to be a concern and i doubt MN would make a long-term commitment.
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Pros:

Veteran MLB
Henderson moves to his natural WLB position
Good run defender

Cons:

Hodges wont get much of an opportunity, who is supposedly a good coverage LB
Another below average cover player
Injury concerns

Overall, this seems like a solid stop gap type move. Bishop can start at MLB, Henderson can start at WLB. Hodges can be eased into a role, and hopefully can see the field in passing situations if Bishop or Henderson are unable to improve in coverage.

If MN does sign him, i would expect for it to be a one year deal. The injury has to be a concern and i doubt MN would make a long-term commitment.

Huh? Bishop has proven to better in coverage than against the run. In GB, Bishop was considered a 3 down player while AJ Hawk was pulled on passing downs.
Silver Bullet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This man could use some Purple in his life! Cool
husker_vikes3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 2m
Well, that was quick. RT @jasonjwilde: Just got off the phone with @Desbishop55. He will visit the #Vikings tomorrow.

I stepped up my game. Wink

skywindO2 wrote:
I'm still under the impression that the old coaching staff thought intercepting passes was against the rules.
Purple blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love this edition let mouti and hodges sit and learn for a year

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

Huh? Bishop has proven to better in coverage than against the run. In GB, Bishop was considered a 3 down player while AJ Hawk was pulled on passing downs.

Every comment regarding Bishop in the Packer forum suggests that Bishop is poor in coverage and a liability as a 3 down player. I tend to trust that opinion if it is the general consensus. Throw in the injury concerns, he physically may not even be the player he once was.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for a thread title somehow involving chess pieces moving Cool
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, most of the pre-injury professional scouting reports I saw lauded Bishop's speed, range, and coverage capabalities despite being regarded as a two-down guy coming out of college. Could be a scheme thing. Some highly regarded scouts called him a good athlete with solid quickness and flexibility that showed ability to make plays outside the tackle box and in the intermediate level of pass defense. According to Pro Football Focus, in 2011 only Bishop and James Farrior graded out at 4.0+ against the run AND pass. That season:

"In coverage, he [Bishop] allowed 63.8% of passes thrown his way to be caught, fourth best for all inside linebackers thrown at 10 times or more. He allowed 9.2 yards per catch which was in the upper half of all inside linebackers. Usually a defender has a low catch rate allowed and high yards per catch or vice versa, but Bishop is a rare case."

So maybe he was slowed down by injuries, or maybe the Packer's defensive scheme made him look below-average in coverage at times, but I do not doubt his ability. That being said, I am assuming he is really at 100% health.
Krauser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I was hoping for a thread title somehow involving chess pieces moving Cool

Kings take Bishop, check.
Freakout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not. This seems a bit like a panic move rather than giving our young players a chance in training camp. The pads have to go on before you can really judge them.

Unless they are not being sold on Erin taking command of the defense during the OTA's. That is the one thing they can see and judge before the pads go on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
I hope not. This seems a bit like a panic move rather than giving our young players a chance in training camp. The pads have to go on before you can really judge them.

Unless they are not being sold on Erin taking command of the defense during the OTA's. That is the one thing they can see and judge before the pads go on.

But the last thing a rookie needs is the starting job handed to him on a silver platter, unless he is clearly the caliber of player to start right away in the NFL. I am all for bringing in a motivated, productive veteran to push the rookies and show them that they have to earn it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: