Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Johnny "Football"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Johnny "Football" Reply with quote

Now I know this will be met with a lot of hostility on here, and I know I'm going to be in the minority, but honestly. I just don't like the guy. I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I just wonder if the guy has the mental stuff to be successful (and I don't mean he isn't smart).

Ok, so he got in trouble in the past and made mistakes...I could look past that if the guy was/had become a stand up guy.

But there is just too much...AND THEN with him. His twitter account on a regular basis shows the kid making questionable decisions. I know he's a 20 something kid and he wants to have fun, but he has to know he's being judged/watched/stalked by the news and the NCAA.

Now he is taking online classes so that he can work on his studies without distraction...ok, I guess I get that...whether or not I think it's right that is a different question. Then Sunday he posts about how he can't wait to get out of college station, a tweet that was quickly deleted. But follows it up with walk in my shoes. The only sympathy I have for him is that he is a "student" athlete, and from my time at K-State I know how hard that can be on people. Outside of that I'm sure it's rough, being ultra-popular, knowing you are almost guaranteed millions of dollars, getting a free education...and all you have to do is play football, go to class and keep your nose clean...yeah I get it, life must be really rough for Johnny Football.

Now I posted this to see if I'm alone in questioning how paying this kid millions of dollars (probably more than he's making at A & M) is a good idea. I guess I question his character. If this was a kid with the character of Collin Klein/Drew Brees or heck even Teblow...I would feel better. And I know people can change, overcome...it just doesn't necessarily seem like he wants to change. Like I said, if this was just the arrest, and then nothing, I wouldn't question it as much...

And now, I could be wrong, he could come to the NFL light it up, be dynamite and keep himself out of trouble...but I don't think it's a stretch to see him go down the path of guys like McClain, JerWalrus, Adam Jones...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9392987/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-tweets-wait-leave-college-station

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
Rumless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With hours of tape now available on him, I'm curious to see if he has success against teams that are specifically planning against him. The college teams in 2012 did not often account for his mobility.

He might be letting the hype get to his head. I don't see how he'll be a first-rounder unless he's improved drastically in the offseason.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know of this man you call "Johnny Football"

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
KCWolf1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-field issues aside, I'm not a huge fan of Manziel as a prospect. Even without the off-field issues, I see him as a late second to third round prospect right now. He just simply has too many question marks on the field at this point for me to value him as a high first rounder. Throw in the off field stuff, and he drops to a late third or fourth rounder in my book. Right now, Bridgewater, McCarron, and Murray are easily ahead of him and guys like Boyd and Mariota arguably ahead of him with their own question marks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm glad I'm on the only one that doesn't necessarily think this guy is "IT". He didn't play great against the upper level competition, I think he really won the Heisman because of 1 play during the Bama game, and the fact that Klein had a bad game against Oregon.

While I think most college athletes should stay in college because you never know when you're 1 play away from never playing again not matter how good you are, I think Manziel needs to stay in college until he can prove he has matured, and so he can improve in terms of being a football player and not just a good-great athlete.

jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is a metamorphosis of great magnitude, the enormity of the NFL, with all that it entails, will eat this kid alive. Anxious to see how he would react to grizzled vets who make him understand quickly, and in no uncertain terms, that it isn't 'all about him'. Until I see that attitude change from him, I'm making the assumption the realization will come with a great price.

He needs to continue the college experience with cheerleaders, frat. house parties, and occasional smoking, to get all that out of his system before he puts on his big boy pants. Harsh??? Yep, it is intended to be. Sick and tired of prima pretty boys with all their glitter and swagger pretending that it will translate to the NFL, when they haven't proven they can handle the spot lite at the college level, yet. Wink
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that it isn't 'all about him'.

I think this is exactly why he'll leave college the instant he's able to...because, "He's Johnny Football." Must be tough, being him and all.

jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT, exactly! Let's see how he plays, reacts, and copes with 2013 since he is not an anomaly anymore. How will he play when opponents seriously 'game plan' him. I can name several teams who will be frothing at the mouth to get their hands on him....and likely will.

I HOPE he does well, not trying to "X" him or anything, but this year will give you a better idea of who he is.....or more likely, who he ISN'T.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the name Johnny Football, but the kid has it. He needs to do a lot of bulking up and his passing lacks refinement, but this is a stud QB during his growth years. Tom Brady was a skinny kid when he came out. It was one of the knocks on him.

J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Bama fan and love the kid.

You guys do realize he was a Redshirt Freshman right? Peyton Manning would've been eaten alive in the NFL at that age and experience level. Can say the same thing on any NFL QB.

He can be a special QB if he continues to work hard, his accuracy, touch on passes and poise is incredible for someone so young.

You don't beat Bama nowadays unless you're special, and he's not even an Athletic talent like Cam or RGIII either which makes it even crazier. I'm just hoping the outside pressure doesn't crumble him.

As far as the tweet, don't see the big deal. Sometimes you have a bad day where you live, it happens. Its not always roses and sunshine, even for Johnny Football.
brawl.kc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no idea what it is like to be treated above everybody else and have everybody always looking at you for the answers and the miracles with the fame and the accolades.

Remind you, this kid is 3 years out of high-school and has a winning, uncashed lottery ticket in his back pocket. Do you not think that he is now, more than ever, surrounded by hangers on who do nothing but drain on him constantly or use him to try to advance their own agendas?

This, to me, looks like a kid who's been thrust into fame and the only thing he knows how to do is play football. I feel bad, knowing what it was like to be 20/21 years old just as a normal person. Hell, I can't fathom what its like for him right now.

This is probably one of the most sensational, judgmental posts I've ever seen on this site. In a day when sensationalism is getting to be the normal, part of the reason I don't post much here anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brawl, my post was no more judgmental than the posts and opinions of how great a young QB he is, or can be. He has the world in front of him, and he needs to get himself surrounded with 'adults' who can help him manage his soon to be wealth and fortunes. Currently, and this is only my opinion, he doesn't have that.

Again, you can't hear voice inflection or intent with a post. I'm not a detractor of this young man, hell, I'm probably a fan, but when other folks hang the "Johnny Football" lable on him, it is easy for a young person to get caught up in the hype and start believing it. Some serious direction is needed if he is to achieve his potential. That is what I was saying. I only wish the best for him, but it will not come with a serious price.....one way or another, good or bad.

In this regard, he is not unlike MANY other young men in this enviable position.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brawl I respect your opinion on things, and this isn't meant to be sensationalist. It's meant to foster discussion on a topic when there isn't a ton else to talk about.

I agree with you that he is judged harshly because of his situation, but what I'm saying is, it goes with the area. I agree I can't fathom what it's like to have hangers on and people always wanting a piece of you. All I'm saying is it makes you wonder how this kid can handle it. It's not like he's going to get "less" attention going forward, and his uncashed lottery ticket as you called it isn't going to make him less attractive to the clingon folks.

My biggest issue is with the media building him into a messiah, the next best thing ever, when in reality he still has a lot of growing to do (as well all did at that age).

Another thing I was wondering about here is just what people think. Do you take potential in Manziel over a more polished guy like Bridgewater or Murray? How does the character stuff come into play for Johnny Football.

All I'm trying to do is have something to talk about besides whether or not we over-paid for Alex Smith.

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy, I think you and I are in the same boat. While it irked me that he won the Heisman, I really do want the kid to do well. He has the talent to do special things in this game.

That is why I said I think he really NEEDS to stay in school, to mature, to build himself mentally and grow in the game.

jimmydee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if he pays attention, a lot can be learned from a couple years in college, more than class room stuff. Two years of general mental and psy. maturing as well as physical development will do him wonders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: