Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LT Matt Kalil - ain't no rookie no more
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: LT Matt Kalil - ain't no rookie no more Reply with quote

Vikings offensive line coach Jeff Davidson has coached linemen around the league at New Orleans, New England, Cleveland and Carolina, and he hasnít coached a tackle better than Matt Kalil, he says.

Kalil: ďI think just being a lot more comfortable in this environment and knowing my teammates a lot better and kind of being more at ease and getting the routine down. I think thatís more different [from my rookie season.] Itís still the same mindset. I want to work hard and continue to get better and still become a better player.Ē

The Vikings started the same five offensive linemen for all 16 games last season, and it is back intact for this upcoming year. Kalil believes that is a big plus for the team.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/211702441.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalil should be a franchise cornerstone for the next decade. Brilliant pick at the time. I suspect Kalil to receive plenty of all pro mention this year, i expect a big year from him.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Brilliant pick at the time.

and the trade-down tactic at the same time. Trent Richardson is yet to prove himself worthy of being a #3 pick.

heck, how many salary dollars do the Vikes save by paying Kalil at the #4 pick rate as opposed to the #3 rate, over the course of his contract?

Webmaster wrote:
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Brilliant pick at the time.

and the trade-down tactic at the same time.

Trent Richardson is yet to prove himself worthy of being a #3 pick.

Not a great rookie year in terms of yardage, but at 11TDs he has proven he is a go to guy in the redzone.

Whether or not he has proven he is worthy of the 3rd pick is irrelevant in 1 season. They could have gone Claiborne, but they need a guy to electrify the fan base and get butts in the seats.

Kalil was a great choice for us.

I also don't fault Cleveland's logic for moving up though.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
I also don't fault Cleveland's logic for moving up though.

no, me either. and didn't on Draft Day when it was current and so many other NFL fans were howling they robbed themselves. they had a LOT of picks to use and targeted a guy they wanted. nothing wrong with that.

Webmaster wrote:
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
They had a LOT of picks to use and targeted a guy they wanted. nothing wrong with that.

Unless his name is Cordarelle Patterson...
twslhs20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
They had a LOT of picks to use and targeted a guy they wanted. nothing wrong with that.

Unless his name is Cordarelle Patterson...

Cle gave up a 4th, 5th, and 7th to move up 1 spot in 2012-both get elite prospects. Both teams win. If nothing a slight edge for minnesota. Cle had 12 picks going intop the draft as well.

Minnesota also gave up a 4th to Bal to move up 6 sports to get Smith. Bal got Upshaw at a disount. Again I feel both teams really won.

I consider that great value.

Minnesota gave up a 3rd,4th, and 7th to move up 23 spots to get Patterson in 2013.

Pats got Jamie Collins ( don't really count him in terms of trading pick for pick) Logan Ryan, Josh Boyce, and 229 overall. That pick Min got back after NE traded it to TB.

So the Vikings basically traded the heart of the draft for a raw WR with upside.

So your argument is apples to oranges

Joe_is_the_best ^^
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez guys, could both of you pleeeease not turn an innocuous thread like this one in to a battle over Patterson, Spielman, and this year's draft?

please?

Webmaster wrote:
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to think of a thread title last night so I could post this article. I never thought of a good one so I didn't post it assuming vikedaddy or Disaacs would come up with something clever.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i wish disaacs had.

Webmaster wrote:
twslhs20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
I was trying to think of a thread title last night so I could post this article. I never thought of a good one so I didn't post it assuming vikedaddy or Disaacs would come up with something clever.

I saw this artical this morning.

I was thinking like Kalil All Doubt

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this interesting video on Kalil from his high school days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGloCAMTV8
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Kalil wanted to be back up to 315 pounds by the start of the season, and he figured that would require him to consume between 5,000 and 6,000 calories a day. With a Big Mac and fries in the equation, that's probably not too difficult. But for Kalil, not all calories are created equal.

The Vikings' left tackle is trying to do it the right way, putting the weight back on through a diet and weight-training program that he hopes will spare his joints and leave him in better shape to handle NFL pass rushers. The menu looks like this: three shakes a day -- each packing about 800 calories and 60 grams of protein -- interspersed between between three square meals of lean meat, pastas and sweet potatoes, plus three snacks, usually peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. In a pinch, he permits himself the occasional Chipotle burrito, but not much else.

Kalil supplements all that with more lower-body weight work than he's done in the past with the goal being him opening training camp a healthier kind of heavy. He weighed in at 311 pounds to start camp, and said he feels healthier, stronger and more energetic than he has in the past. This offseason was a continuation of Kalil's efforts to put on weight in a healthier manner -- which he began while he was at USC -- and he seems to be getting things down to a science.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23794731/vikings-matt-kalils-weight-work-gaining-pounds-not

i still smile every time i think about how Spielman traded down a slot in the draft and still took Kalil, his choice all along.

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ecstatic when the Vikes picked Kalil, and even more impressed when watching him play last summer and during the season.

The fact he continually works to keep in shape, get stronger, and learn just lends that much more support to him being a rock at LT. The Vikes have sorely missed someone of his caliber and character for the past 15 years.

One important key is keeping him healthy and injury free. It only takes one glance at the Packers today, and you can see they're going to have fits with Jared, Julius and Ziggy this year. I'd almost say, "poor Aaron . . .lol"

Conceptually, if the Vikes lost Matt to significant injury, they'd be in a bigger hole than the Pack, and not just because Ponder hasn't proven to be the QB Rodgers is. More importantly, the Pack have a couple tackles behind Bulaga that may be able to step in successfully. Today, I don't think the Vikes have that guy who could be the caliber of replacement needed.

With that, my feelings are that Kalil will be much like a Walter Jones, Jonathan Odgen, Tony Boselli type . . . talented and dependable!
AndyJ1134

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
I was ecstatic when the Vikes picked Kalil, and even more impressed when watching him play last summer and during the season.

The fact he continually works to keep in shape, get stronger, and learn just lends that much more support to him being a rock at LT. The Vikes have sorely missed someone of his caliber and character for the past 15 years.

One important key is keeping him healthy and injury free. It only takes one glance at the Packers today, and you can see they're going to have fits with Jared, Julius and Ziggy this year. I'd almost say, "poor Aaron . . .lol"

Conceptually, if the Vikes lost Matt to significant injury, they'd be in a bigger hole than the Pack, and not just because Ponder hasn't proven to be the QB Rodgers is. More importantly, the Pack have a couple tackles behind Bulaga that may be able to step in successfully. Today, I don't think the Vikes have that guy who could be the caliber of replacement needed.

With that, my feelings are that Kalil will be much like a Walter Jones, Jonathan Odgen, Tony Boselli type . . . talented and dependable!

The Packers are one of the few organizations in the league where they seem to deal with injuries without skipping a beat. I mean just look at the year that they won the superbowl. I swear more than half of their starters were injured that year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: