Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Joe Staley and Mike Iupati

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Joe Staley and Mike Iupati Reply with quote

just wanted to see if this fits with what the 49ers experts see:

Joe Staley started playing the offensive line in a similar manner to a more well-known "Joe" from the same draft. As a former TE who couldn't catch a cold, the athleticism and speed he demonstrated as a tall, skinny former TE stayed with him as he gained weight to play offensive tackle. His biggest asset is his athleticism and his ability to block on the move. Despite this, he tends to struggle against the more athletic pass rushers. His pass protection still needs work, as he is inconsistent with his quick, but not particularly heavy hands, and he can look like a world beater one play then absolutely whiff or get ragdolled on another play, allowing his guy to blow up the backfield. Not the strongest of linemen, where Staley excels is in the open field, blocking on the move. Some controversy about this pick has been brought up, with detractors saying he was being overrated due to the help he gets from the rest of the 49ers offensive line, and especially the inconsistency he's shown over time. Some have even called for a move to RT to alleviate his issue with speed rushers. However, Staley's athleticism makes him like a nasty pulling guard and he is arguably the best run blocking offensive tackle in the NFL. He isn't the knock-down mauler that his linemate Mike Iupati is, and he is content to wall off defenders, but he does it so effectively that regardless of who is running the ball for the 49ers, they can count on Staley to get the job done.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Mike Iupati is a young guy, raw as can be, with the physical ability to hang with the best and beastliest NTs and DTs in the NFL. He has the ability to drive and root out the biggest and the most powerful in the run game, and is one of the few who can go head to head with guys like Haloti Ngata and give him a hard time. What makes Iupati special is his ability, at his size, to pull and show the mobility and balance to hit much smaller LBs and steamroll them. His issues are pass protection (Which is improving), and especially mental errors, which manifests itself in missed assignments and (this season especially) penalties. However, he's a young guy whose pass pro is improving, which is to be expected of a small-school guy and his status as "irresistible force" in the run game makes him one of the best road graders in the NFL. His physical potential gives him a ceiling comparable to Larry Allen. Whether or not he comes anywhere close to that is yet to be seen, but if he manages to stay healthy and get his mental acuity tuned into the game more consistently, he will follow up his first All-Pro selection in 2012 with many more.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly accurate, but I'd add two things: One of Iupati's issues in pass pro is with having to cover for OC Goodwin at times. I've seen many rushers go free to his left because he was sucked into helping Goodwin who, let's face it, often needs help. I think his penalties then come from trying to do too much.

As for Staley: Couldn't catch a cold?! His catch rate is 100%!!! One catch, ZERO drop! And a first down, along with a first down dance! Wink

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this analysis for the most part, but i don't feel that Staley is overrated in his pass protection, he's just not as good at it as he is at run blocking. He struggles against elite pass rushers like Clay Matthews, but pretty much shuts most others down, he's just not quite good enough to take on the highest caliber pass rushers. I don't think that he's bad enough to warrant a switch to right tackle though.

Iupati is still coming along even now. I agree with Rudy in that a lot of the "lapses" people judge him on are actually times where he is helping goodwin at the center position. Goodwin is an important member of the line, as he is a leader and makes good snaps, but he's not particularly great when it comes to speed and quickness off said snap. His blocking is not nearly on par with the rest of the line's ability, and thus a lot of pass rushers and run stuffers swing to his side which requires Iupati to move with them.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so i wasn't trying to imply he was overrated in pass pro, just that he was a far better run blocker than pass blocker, so I can reword that since I wasn't accurate with my 'phrasing"

i'll add in a few points about Goodwin as well, who like you said, is not the spry fellow he used to be
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I agree with this analysis for the most part, but i don't feel that Staley is overrated in his pass protection, he's just not as good at it as he is at run blocking. He struggles against elite pass rushers like Clay Matthews, but pretty much shuts most others down, he's just not quite good enough to take on the highest caliber pass rushers. I don't think that he's bad enough to warrant a switch to right tackle though.

Iupati is still coming along even now. I agree with Rudy in that a lot of the "lapses" people judge him on are actually times where he is helping goodwin at the center position. Goodwin is an important member of the line, as he is a leader and makes good snaps, but he's not particularly great when it comes to speed and quickness off said snap. His blocking is not nearly on par with the rest of the line's ability, and thus a lot of pass rushers and run stuffers swing to his side which requires Iupati to move with them.

To be fair, both times he faced Clay last year, he played injured. In week 1, Clay broke his nose on the first play of the game. Then in the playoffs, Joe injured his right arm and still pretty much shut down Clay the rest of the game... with one arm.

Joe isn't a wall in pass protection. He's not elite. He's just good. But we can get away with it because we don't pass 40 times a game. If we did pass 40 times a game, the way heavy passing teams do it, the ball would probably get out of the QB's hand really fast anyway. So in Joe's case, I feel good is good enough. The only time a team truly needs an elite pass protector is when that team is bad. Good teams don't have to worry as much about the pass rush, because they're probably already running to kill the clock.

BangBang

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe's a lot better in the run blocking department than he's given credit for. It's assumed he's merely average in that department because he's a former tight end and a little light, but he's pretty darn good. I echo every else and their sentiment that he's not as good a pass blocker as made out to be.

Iupati is really good, but I do feel he's a little overrated.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BangBang wrote:
Joe's a lot better in the run blocking department than he's given credit for. It's assumed he's merely average in that department because he's a former tight end and a little light, but he's pretty darn good. I echo every else and their sentiment that he's not as good a pass blocker as made out to be.

Iupati is really good, but I do feel he's a little overrated.

I think Staley is given all the credit he deserves as a run blocker. I've read several articles touting him as the top run blocking OT in the NFL. That may even be more credit than he deserves. But we can all agree he's very good, and surrounded with very good teammates, on a very good team, very well coached.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: