Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seconday better than we think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericr0319

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Seconday better than we think Reply with quote

The closer we get to training camps, I am beginning to think our secondary is much better than we think.

My logic.

1. Our front 7, arguably the best in the NFC. By far the best in the NFC south. If CJ and GH are consistant with last year and improve at all our pass rush is dominate. Davis and Beason's health are concerns but if they play all year its amazing. And of course the addition at DT. I love the rotation of Short/Edwards.

2. Godfrey, he is a B caliber saftey, with B+ potential with help at other safety.

3. Robert Lester. Kid is from Alabama. Smart Saban kid, started every game. Not the fastest, but reads the field, good in over the top coverage, doesnt miss open field tackles.

4. Our CB. I am all about starting Norman and Florence and letting captain play where he feels comfortable at Nickle. Norman was actually really good, got burned at times, but who doesnt and he was a rookie. Also his bad safety play didnt make up for when he got burned. I am also a huge fan of DJ Moore, the guy shows he has a tendancy to be a ball hawk when he is on the field.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 hits the nail on the head. The front 7 will lift the secondary. Really hoping a S next to Godfrey can emerge, and I am thinking it will be Lester.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not confident in any of our CBs as solid starters, but I did like what I saw from Josh Thomas towards the end of last season. I think he will emerge to be better than Norman.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
I am not confident in any of our CBs as solid starters, but I did like what I saw from Josh Thomas towards the end of last season. I think he will emerge to be better than Norman.

Norman and Thomas are definitely capable of being "solid starters" though maybe not pro-bowler playmakers. The safety position was more of a problem than the corners were.

Captan is already better than solid at nickel, though.

Word from the mini camps is Norman is better.

I don't see how the secondary doesn't improve. The pass rush is better, the young guys have more experience and Nakamura won't be on the field.
catamount

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name a team that has won a super bowl that dumps a ton of $$ into the secondary recentlly........I cannot.

QBs, Pass rushers, TD makers, Offensive linemen. How to win in the NFL.

Our DBs are not lock down, cover 1 guys. They will not cover a WR for 4 seconds. They are going to jump routes and take advantage of opportunities the front seven creates. They will give up yardage, but they will increase the number of turnovers. We will be solid on D.
SmittySmurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Lester doesn't look as good in pads, but its still early.

As long as we get a pass rush, heck I could cover. Laughing

I'd rather have a ferocious pass rush with a shaky secondary versus shut down corners and zero pass rush.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AJ23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
Name a team that has won a super bowl that dumps a ton of $$ into the secondary recentlly........I cannot.

Our DBs are not lock down, cover 1 guys. They will not cover a WR for 4 seconds. They are going to jump routes and take advantage of opportunities the front seven creates. They will give up yardage, but they will increase the number of turnovers. We will be solid on D.
A monster defensive front is what got them to their only Super Bowl appearance. If I remember correctly, their entire DL rotation made the cover of ESPN Mag or SI that season. The only good DB that comes to mind for that season was Deon Grant. Yeah, there was Manning, but his legend was due to a few big plays and he didn't do much after leaving Carolina.
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ23 wrote:
catamount wrote:

A monster defensive front is what got them to their only Super Bowl appearance. If I remember correctly, their entire DL rotation made the cover of ESPN Mag or SI that season. The only good DB that comes to mind for that season was Deon Grant. Yeah, there was Manning, but his legend was due to a few big plays and he didn't do much after leaving Carolina.

it's also how the giants won their superbowls. they never really had a monster secondary. hopefully it works again here bc we have the makings of a potent front 7

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: