Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raheem Morris on rookie safeties Thomas & Rambo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Raheem Morris on rookie safeties Thomas & Rambo Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/06/13/raheem-morris-on-the-difference-between-thomas-and-rambo/

Quote:
“The one thing I can say is Phillip is a natural box player,” he said. “When he gets in the box, he knows where to fit, he knows how to read his keys, he knows how to do those things. And Bacarri is a natural field – whole-field and half-field player – but can play in the box as well.”

He later added, “Bacarri’s skill set is his ability to touch the ball, his ability to have range, do some of those things and mix it up a little bit. Phillip was a little bit more of the blitzer. He was more in the box, the inside fire zones with some of their fire zones they had in college.”
from the sound of things, it seems both Rookies have a chance to see significant time this season. Thomas will play more SS and Rambo will play more FS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully expect Bacarri to start merely because we're void of single high free safety talent.

I think Thomas gets some looks in the Cobra package, but Reed is just a better player for that at this point. Unless Merriweather goes down, don't see Thomas getting as much playing time as Rambo.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Brian23. For me, I expect Rambo to start at some point during the season but I'm not sure it will be weeks 1, because they like to go with veterans to start the season (if they're healthy) As you said he's our only true FS who isn't suspended, so there's a great chance at some point he takes over the starting job.

I think Thomas is going to have trouble cracking the line up much because Meriweather and Doughty play his position.

I still expect Doughty and Meriweather to start the season.

Doughty SS
Meriweather FS

When/If Rambo gets far enough along that they feel he can start, they'll bench Doughty. Meriweather will then move to his more natural position of SS and Rambo will take over at FS.

In 2014 I fully expect Thomas to be our starting SS and Rambo to be our starting FS week 1 and hopefully for the next 10-12 years. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Good points Brian23. For me, I expect Rambo to start at some point during the season but I'm not sure it will be weeks 1, because they like to go with veterans to start the season (if they're healthy) As you said he's our only true FS who isn't suspended, so there's a great chance at some point he takes over the starting job.

I think Thomas is going to have trouble cracking the line up much because Meriweather and Doughty play his position.

Doughty SS
Meriweather FS

When/If Rambo gets far enough along that they feel he can start, they'll bench Doughty. Meriweather will then move to his more natural position of SS and Rambo will take over at FS.

In 2014 I fully expect Thomas to be our starting SS and Rambo to be our starting FS week 1 and hopefully for the next 10-12 years. Cool

Hmmm. Pretty good drafting and coaching for a 4th round and a 6th round pick to lock down S spots for over a decade Cool
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Doughty SS
Meriweather FS

Hmmm. Pretty good drafting and coaching for a 4th round and a 6th round pick to lock down S spots for over a decade Cool
yeah it would be, a little bit of luck involved for them to fall to us also, because both have 2nd round talent Thomas was just inconsistent at times and Rambo just has an undrafted players resume off the field.

Haslett is a good defensive mind, no matter what some say about him and Morris is a good secondary coach who relates to the players well but is demanding of them at the same time. I like the combination of those two as our main defensive coaches, past this year though, I don't know how much longer it will last because I can see Morris getting a defensive coordinator offer.

Last edited by turtle28 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BuckleyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that Rah comes out and says everything that many of us felt with Thomas and Rambo. You watch the film of Thomas and sure he had the INT's but he was better suited up at the line. Put on the film of Rambo and he's a pure single high S.

kiltman on the sig

JMU Class of 2014
DCRED

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckleyBoy wrote:
Funny that Rah comes out and says everything that many of us felt with Thomas and Rambo. You watch the film of Thomas and sure he had the INT's but he was better suited up at the line. Put on the film of Rambo and he's a pure single high S.

Nice though when you have TWO guys who appear to be naturals at those respective positions, however can transition to other duties if needed to disguise coverages, or provide more support, etc.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This front office/coaching staff has been focused on getting talent to fill our holes. Hopefully, in 2015, they can start just focusing on best talent (2014 is probably going to require them focusing on ILB and maybe RT).
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckleyBoy wrote:
yeah, that's why I was miffed when NFL.com had Rambo listed as a SS. I knew he could play SS but that he had always been a FS at Georgia and played the position well.

As you said you could say Thomas was the opposite of Rambo. He could play FS but he looked like a Meriweather out there, he can do it all but is best around the line blitzing and making plays there and on Tight Ends and RBs
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
This front office/coaching staff has been focused on getting talent to fill our holes. Hopefully, in 2015, they can start just focusing on best talent (2014 is probably going to require them focusing on ILB and maybe RT).
yeah, ILB for sure. Probably a WR depending on who's back and how well Hank and Robinson play. I'm not so sure about OT, that depends on how well Compton comes along and Xaiver Nixon.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
yeah, ILB for sure. Probably a WR depending on who's back and how well Hank and Robinson play. I'm not so sure about OT, that depends on how well Compton comes along and Xaiver Nixon.

Call me crazy but I think we have 3 guys that will compete for Fletchers job next year.

Robinson, Compton, Burdette I think Compton makes the team this yer over Keil
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:

Call me crazy but I think we have 3 guys that will compete for Fletchers job next year.

Robinson, Compton, Burdette I think Compton makes the team this yer over Keil
I think Compton will be on the practic squad.

I don't see how we don't draft a Ilb in Next years draft a some point.
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:

To a point they have been filling holes, but each draft has included "luxury" picks at spots where some would argue we should have filled a need.

Like picking a TE in the 3rd this year (over Thomas and others) when we have Davis, Paulsen, and Paul

Or picking Jenkins, a pass-rushing OLB in the 5th (over Rambo) when we have Orakpo and Kerrigan on the team

And picking Thompson (over Rambo) when we have a #1 back in Morris, and no worthy starting FS, etc...

I think they've done a fantastic job of picking BPA on their board AND managing to fill some holes... Although last year I did see Kirk Cousins as BOTH a need pick AND BPA, many argued that he was nothing more than a luxury pick...
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DCRED"]
Woz wrote:

To a point they have been filling holes, but each draft has included "luxury" picks at spots where some would argue we should have filled a need.

Quote:
Like picking a TE in the 3rd this year (over Thomas and others) when we have Davis, Paulsen, and Paul
you could say it was a need because of Davis' uncertainty

Quote:
Or picking Jenkins, a pass-rushing OLB in the 5th (over Rambo) when we have Orakpo and Kerrigan on the team
It was a 5th round pick for a 1st round talent and our pass rush sucked because of Orakpo's injury, it was a need and awesome value

Quote:
And picking Thompson (over Rambo) when we have a #1 back in Morris, and no worthy starting FS, etc...
this pick shouldn't have surprised anyone Shanahn takes a RB or 2 every year. It seems he values they position above all others but Qb.

Quote:
I think they've done a fantastic job of picking BPA on their board AND managing to fill some holes... Although last year I did see Kirk Cousins as BOTH a need pick AND BPA, many argued that he was nothing more than a luxury pick...
I think they've does a relatively good job. Back in 2011 they took some players in the mid rounds that I felt were late round talent and they could have waited to get them a round or 2 or possibly udfa's. I'm looking at Paul and Gomes here.

Last year I still feel LeRibeus was a Reach and there were better players in positions we definitely needed on the board.

Cousins has turned out to be a fantastic pick while Ta'amu has turned out to be a cop fleeing drunk and Boykin has been ok, but not any better than our 7th round pick- Crawford. We definitely made the right choice there and you were right all along DCRED.

At this point, I think Chris Thompson is a reach, with his injury history I believe we could have waited to get him, but I guess we will never know. We'll have to look back on the draft in a few years and see how it pans out. One thing I do know is the Rambo 6th round pick more than made up for the 5th round Thompson reach

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle, can you please proof-read the above post? You have your words in my quote, and it is very confusing even though you bolded what I wrote. I included an explanation which you omitted and inserted your explanation Question

Also :Shanahan
Quote:
bakers they position above all others but QB
???? Cmon, man. Is your iphone that bad??I'm gonna get Dashing to ghost-write for u so I can understand what you are saying

Laughing

Thank you, sir

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: