Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are the texans stale?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Are the texans stale? Reply with quote

I couldnt find the article on nfl.com but reading the quotes from mini camp they asked kubiak about an article that said the Texans were stale.

I love Kubiaks answer when they asked if he cared about style points:“Style points? No. I just care about winning a game. That’s all I care about.”

in my head i read that as if he was a certain coach saying "Playoffs?" trust me, do that and you will LOL

But as for the topic question, what do you think are we stale? i would say we are, but that doesnt mean we cant win a Super Bowl. You wont see the texans running a wild cat, and we run very few trick plays...in fact we are probably the most predictable team in the nfl, but weve been very successful over the last 2 season

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what you mean by stale...

Sig by matthouston91
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a swing at it. I think the reference comes from the fact that we would rather chew up yardage at a clip of over 4 yards per play (math majors: 4 * 3 = first down) and march down the field than gun the ball downfield and take on sacks and turnovers. Let's call it what it is - people are bored by our quarterback and our coach, but I'm just fine with that. The Jets probably get 10x the press the Texans do mostly because of their egomaniac coach who has become a parody of himself and their ineffectual starting QB, former backup QB, and probably will again with their rookie QB. Grabbing headlines was worth 6 wins last year to them. Our other offensive stars (Arian, AJ) are quiet, classy, lead by example types but have been top 4 players at their positions for years. What did Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Shonn Green, Ladianian Tomlinson, Mike Goodson, buy them other than headlines? Hell, even their o-line got all sorts of "beast" run, but for all the sexiness of a Center than can knock people on their butts like Mangold, a boring tactician like Chris Myers is simply a better football player, and he actually suits up every week. People are going to call us boring until we have an erratic Michael Vick type at QB and a Desean Jackson track star type at WR, but that bought 4 wins for Philly last year and I'll take a boring Super Bowl run over pleasing fantasy football GMs or filling the 24 hours news cycle any day.

That Bills front 7 sure was "sexy" this time last year and grabbing plenty of headlines until they actually started playing football games. I tell you what "bores" me, it's watching all the offseason hype revolving around all the same teams that flame out chasing "sexy" stars, while the interesting teams like the Texans that manage to evolve and improve while letting their few stars that make the money grabs walk and become another teams salary cap problem.

My baseball Cardinals sure are boring in the offseasons when they let the stars get overpaid by someone else then we replace them with even better homegrown players, but October's sure aren't boring when we're still playing and all the headline grabbers on the East Coast and West Coast are sitting at home watching us. 11 Championships, 18 pennants, 9 playoffs appearance in past 12 seasons. Mets, Dodgers, and Phillies can have all the headlines they want.

It's time to stop worrying about what people say about the Texans and just let winning shut them up...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you needed further proof of my point about ego, Rex generates another headline today with another "look at me" rant.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9386358/new-york-jets-rex-ryan-maintains-high-opinion-himself

If essentially coordinating one unit on a team makes you are great coach, Kubiak is amongst the best. Texans AFC offensive ranks since he arrived:
2012: 3
2011: 5
2010: 2
2009: 2
2008: 2
2007: 7
2006: 13 (first year)
2005: 15
2004: 11
2003: 16
2002: 16
Oh yes, let's go ahead and couple that with ZERO first round picks used on skill position players until this season and Ahman Green as about the only thing even closely resembling a flashy free agent signing.

Rex is pretty much living Kubiak's existence in reverse as he was lucky enough to have a good offense when he got there and enjoyed some initial success by coaching up the D, but his lack of growth into a true Head Coach and lack of humility have helped implode a team that had all the pieces in place for several more championship shots but instead will just be remembered for two well timed hot streaks that fizzled before a rapid return to the their traditional place as a laughable franchise that never lives up to their hype. I've been far from Kubiak's biggest fan, but I will give him all the credit in the world for not placing his need for attention over the team and for his humility in accepting that a strong coordinator like Wade Phillips would not diminish his legacy but rather ensure that his legacy might expand beyond building a strong stable offensive machine, but perhaps guiding a complete team to a championship.

Ultimately, Rex is making the same mistakes his dad Buddy did as being a winning Head Coach requires a different skill set than a coordinator and that starts with doing what it takes to win, not doing what it takes to continue proving what a genius you are at one aspect of the game. That guy in Boston isn't going to win any awards for humility either, but he also doesn't pander to the media and doesn't seem to care that his days as a defensive coordinator are largely forgotten in the face of a remarkable 13 year run where he evolved into the architect of a model franchise with staying power, and doesn't have quote defensive rankings as proof he "kicks butt."

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:

i think they were just referring to the Texans kinda running an old school style offense without much style or anything

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I'll take a swing at it. I think the reference comes from the fact that we would rather chew up yardage at a clip of over 4 yards per play (math majors: 4 * 3 = first down) and march down the field than gun the ball downfield and take on sacks and turnovers. Let's call it what it is - people are bored by our quarterback and our coach, but I'm just fine with that. The Jets probably get 10x the press the Texans do mostly because of their egomaniac coach who has become a parody of himself and their ineffectual starting QB, former backup QB, and probably will again with their rookie QB. Grabbing headlines was worth 6 wins last year to them. Our other offensive stars (Arian, AJ) are quiet, classy, lead by example types but have been top 4 players at their positions for years. What did Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Shonn Green, Ladianian Tomlinson, Mike Goodson, buy them other than headlines? Hell, even their o-line got all sorts of "beast" run, but for all the sexiness of a Center than can knock people on their butts like Mangold, a boring tactician like Chris Myers is simply a better football player, and he actually suits up every week. People are going to call us boring until we have an erratic Michael Vick type at QB and a Desean Jackson track star type at WR, but that bought 4 wins for Philly last year and I'll take a boring Super Bowl run over pleasing fantasy football GMs or filling the 24 hours news cycle any day.

That Bills front 7 sure was "sexy" this time last year and grabbing plenty of headlines until they actually started playing football games. I tell you what "bores" me, it's watching all the offseason hype revolving around all the same teams that flame out chasing "sexy" stars, while the interesting teams like the Texans that manage to evolve and improve while letting their few stars that make the money grabs walk and become another teams salary cap problem.

My baseball Cardinals sure are boring in the offseasons when they let the stars get overpaid by someone else then we replace them with even better homegrown players, but October's sure aren't boring when we're still playing and all the headline grabbers on the East Coast and West Coast are sitting at home watching us. 11 Championships, 18 pennants, 9 playoffs appearance in past 12 seasons. Mets, Dodgers, and Phillies can have all the headlines they want.

It's time to stop worrying about what people say about the Texans and just let winning shut them up...

Stop comparing baseball to the NFL, its pointless and proves nothing. The Texans are stale. The fact is our "boring" qb and coach still fail to deliver in big games when it matters and our "boring" qb still crumbles in the spotlight. Who cares about yards and "stats" when you falter down the stretch and get crushed by legit teams.

Im not saying we're not competitive, because we are, and we are really good. But we are kind of stale and unless our coach stops playing timid and/or our qb shows up when we need him to in the playoffs, we will always be stale.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

i think they were just referring to the Texans kinda running an old school style offense without much style or anything

I would argue that the Texans' offense has a more unique style than all but a few other NFL teams. Plus playmakers at skill positions like Arian Foster and Andre Johnson. I think any sportswriter that tries to make an argument that the Texans offense is stale 1) doesn't watch the Texans very often, and 2) needs to come up with a lazy storyline and crank out some words to meet a deadline in the slowest part of the offseason.

Off the field, the argument makes even less sense, as the Texans have some of the most marketable players in the league in JJ Watt and Arian Foster. Connor Barwin had a pretty big following among casual fans because he was such a big hipster. Ed Reed is a fun player to watch, and Brian Cushing has a decent following among the meathead crowd.

Sig by matthouston91
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

Stop comparing baseball to the NFL, its pointless and proves nothing. The Texans are stale. The fact is our "boring" qb and coach still fail to deliver in big games when it matters and our "boring" qb still crumbles in the spotlight. Who cares about yards and "stats" when you falter down the stretch and get crushed by legit teams.

Im not saying we're not competitive, because we are, and we are really good. But we are kind of stale and unless our coach stops playing timid and/or our qb shows up when we need him to in the playoffs, we will always be stale.

Further proof of the absurd mentality of Texans fans to "blame the qb" when we lose and "credit the D & the running game" when we win. Check the facts AX2. It's the defense that failed to rise up in the the games against playoff caliber offenses (Green Bay, Indy, & New England x2) & faltered in nearly every loss (and several close wins like Jacks & Detroit) last year especially against the Patriots. The offense sucked at Minny, but it's the run game that was invisible due to Foster's absence (Schaub gets blamed for injuries out of his control all the time - why not Foster who missed 3 games in 2011 and and critical one in 2012 and faltered down the stretch as much or more than Schaub did). Schaub threw for 343 friggin yards in the playoff loss (1 shy of hall of famer Brady in his 17th playoff win) and had a 90+ rating while only taking one sack and 1 int. Problem is the defense gave up 457 yards and gave up 41 points which isn't playoff winning football (simple fact was that they scored at will and would have put up 50+ even if Schaub was able to answer sooner). We were even out rushed by the Pats 122 - 91 including a 5.1 - 4.0 average. Sure, Schaub & Kubiak can do more but lets stop isolating "blame" on those two when Wade's defense and the run game weren't up to the task in our losses as much or more than Schaub and the passing game.

amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

Further proof of the absurd mentality of Texans fans to "blame the qb" when we lose and "credit the D & the running game" when we win. Check the facts AX2. It's the defense that failed to rise up in the the games against playoff caliber offenses (Green Bay, Indy, & New England x2) & faltered in nearly every loss (and several close wins like Jacks & Detroit) last year especially against the Patriots. The offense sucked at Minny, but it's the run game that was invisible due to Foster's absence (Schaub gets blamed for injuries out of his control all the time - why not Foster who missed 3 games in 2011 and and critical one in 2012 and faltered down the stretch as much or more than Schaub did). Schaub threw for 343 friggin yards in the playoff loss (1 shy of hall of famer Brady in his 17th playoff win) and had a 90+ rating while only taking one sack and 1 int. Problem is the defense gave up 457 yards and gave up 41 points which isn't playoff winning football (simple fact was that they scored at will and would have put up 50+ even if Schaub was able to answer sooner). We were even out rushed by the Pats 122 - 91 including a 5.1 - 4.0 average. Sure, Schaub & Kubiak can do more but lets stop isolating "blame" on those two when Wade's defense and the run game weren't up to the task in our losses as much or more than Schaub and the passing game.

Further proof our TEXANS TEAM is stale. I just like picking on the offense but clearly the defense lacks fire without Cushing.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree that we are a little stale. We've been seen as dark horses for a while but that seems to be fading.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

Further proof our TEXANS TEAM is stale. I just like picking on the offense but clearly the defense lacks fire without Cushing.

Okay, I guess we're at the "oversimplify" portion of the offseason. We went 8-5 without Cushing last year and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. In 2011, we went 4-4 without Schaub and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. FWIW - We are 2-2 without Arian Foster.

Personally, I could care less about style points. For all the hype RG3, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, Rodgers, Flacco, Dalton, Eli Manning, Big Ben, all won fewer regular season football games than Schaub last year. Wade's defense hasn't had an answer for elite QBs running wide open passing attacks in two seasons and he's gotta fix that or we're going nowhere. I think we can at least agree that Peyton Manning is an elite QB and even he can't overcome defenses that aren't up to the task in the playoffs. Hell, even Brady hasn't been able to overcome a shoddy playoff defense in 8 seasons to bring home a ring.

I'm all for Schaub stepping up his game and carrying this team to some victories in the playoffs when the defense is less than dominant, but it's not his fault that our paltry defense didn't even give him a chance to get to the playoffs his first 4 seasons here and that he was hurt for the 5th. Wade's defense has managed to hold serve and pound a Bengals team that they should at home the past two seasons, but there aren't many offenses around that will overcome giving up 42 & 41 points to the Patriots.

FWIW - I'm also tired of the blame going to the offense for the late season fades the past two seasons (1-3 finishes the past two seasons). Yes, they need to own their part, but Wade's late season fades were legendary in Dallas and like Gary needs to pay attention to details like Arian's workload early, Wade has got to do something to ensure his defense is still functional in December. No easy answers, but needs to be on the table as an issue to be addressed.

longhorntexan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote no. When the ZBS and play action pass game are clicking, the Texans are absolutely beautiful to watch. Like they're performing open heart surgery or playing a symphony. The precision and execution are exciting to watch.

I would also refute that the Texans are labeled as boring because of how good the individual players are. Calvin Johnson makes a tough catch over 2 defenders. Andre Johnson torches double coverage and gets wide open for a catch. Marshawn Lynch runs over 5 guys for a touchdown. Arian Foster sees a hole that his line has blasted open and runs through it untouched for a touchdown. All of the above display talent, but what the Texans do is certainly not as awe inspiring as what some of the other teams see on a routine basis, but as record indicates, what the Texans do works better than the vast majority of the teams out there.

For the Schaub/Kubiak detractors, I'm just going to clump you guys with the "OMG FIRE EVERYBODY AT TEXAS!!!!!" crowd that's been so vocal and ignore you guys until a) you come back to eat crow, or b) the people who actually make decisions agree with you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: