Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Favorite Chiefs Memories
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
2002 Chiefs-Browns

I'll never forget listening to the Tait fumble/Rudd helmet throw on the radio. I was at a basketball tournament and remember trying to explain what happened to my friends, yet I didn't even understand Laughing

This game made me a fan. In the few years before that time, my family was kind of partially Rams fans and partially Chiefs fans. We'd been Chiefs fans for quite some time, but Grant Wistrom, who was then a DE for the Rams, was an old family friend from back in Joplin. So for awhile, we rooted for the Rams and the Chiefs, but to be quite honest, for a little while, the Rams were just a bit more fun to watch there. The Chiefs-Browns game made me decide to choose the Chiefs and stick with the Chiefs. Silly as it may seem.

I know one I'll always remember is that game where Ray Lewis just got his [inappropriate/removed] kicked all day long by our line, tightends, and Tony Richardson. Was something so fulfilling about that game, even though that's all I remember of it.

2005 game against the Bengals is up there too. Vermeil's last, and LJ just decided to be unstoppable. The next year, Vermeil was gone, Roaf was gone, Welbourn was injured and never the same, Richardson jumped to Minnesota, and Trent was never the same after the injury to start the next season. Was the last game we really had that offensive crew together. Ended a short, but very fun to watch, era.

Oh, and Vermeil cried. Like usual, but still.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
18 catches, 259 yards, 2 TDs
DrewC14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a favorite memory, but most memorable for my time as a fan(since 2003) was the Trent Green injury against the Bengals. I literally cried, was only ten at the time, but Trent was my favorite player at the time and I knew the offense wasn't going to be the same without him as signal caller. Still makes me sad to think about it.
2013 Adopt-A-Chief: #17 Donnie Avery, WR
Rec:34 rec./524 yards/15.4 AVG/2 TD

Last Week: 2 rec. 17 yards 8.5 AVG
TambaHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingseanjohn wrote:
TambaHawk wrote:
2011 Chiefs-Chargers Monday Night football game on Halloween..

ending with this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvzyJlt7OY

That was a fun game. I didn't have my voice for a couple days after.

It really was and I remember losing my voice too.

TambaHawk wrote:
Oh we are getting a Smith just not Geno Smith Laughing
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:

I know one I'll always remember is that game where Ray Lewis just got his [inappropriate/removed] kicked all day long by our line, tightends, and Tony Richardson. Was something so fulfilling about that game, even though that's all I remember of it.

I believe Brian Waters was the worst offender. The best was Ray-Ray caught on camera by NFL Films, whining about his DL’s inability to keep the blockers off of him. I believe this game specifically, and Ray Ray’s whining were the catalyst for drafting Haloti Ngata.

Quote:

2005 game against the Bengals is up there too. Vermeil's last, and LJ just decided to be unstoppable. The next year, Vermeil was gone, Roaf was gone, Welbourn was injured and never the same, Richardson jumped to Minnesota, and Trent was never the same after the injury to start the next season. Was the last game we really had that offensive crew together. Ended a short, but very fun to watch, era.

Oh, and Vermeil cried. Like usual, but still.

Accepting LJ was tough for me. I never wanted him from day one. Larry was just such a bad guy. Not just in KC either. Stories of him beating women and plain cocky, jack-arse behavior dated back to his PSU days.

I was a Priest Holmes guy and fought passing my torch, tooth and nail. By 2004, it was undeniable that he was superior to Priest at this stage of Holmes’ career. By 2005, I was on-board. I remember during this Bengals game thinking, “My God, he reminds me of films I’ve seen of Jim Brown!” I thought he could be destined for Canton and maybe more. Legend status.

When his career fizzled, I wasn’t too upset. He was a jerk and I never liked him, despite cheering for him. It’s fitting he never reached his potential.

Vermeil on the other hand was bittersweet. As a PA guy, I’ve been a fan of his since the 80’s. By 2005, I knew he wasn’t going to win a SB in KC. It’s a shame that they never put together a defense worth a damn during his tenor.
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewC14 wrote:
Not a favorite memory, but most memorable for my time as a fan(since 2003) was the Trent Green injury against the Bengals. I literally cried, was only ten at the time, but Trent was my favorite player at the time and I knew the offense wasn't going to be the same without him as signal caller. Still makes me sad to think about it.

The worst part about that was I knew the second that hit was delivered he wasn’t getting up. You could see his head bounce off of the ground. That was scary.

I was at Arrowhead for a Monday night game versus PIT in 1996(?). TE Ted Popson had his career ended that night. It caused a delay of 35 minutes and sucked the juice out of everyone present – the fans and both teams.
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fun memory from the 1995 season, but first some history. During Marty Schottenheimer’s tenure as Chiefs coach, he renewed the passion in the Chiefs-Raiders rivalry which had sadly faded during the late 70’s and 80’s – mostly due to the Chiefs sucking so bad.

The Chiefs had an amazing record versus “da Raidas” during the Marty regime. In fact there may have been a streak of double digit wins. Marty’s motto was “Take their best punch and punch right back and they’ll fold like a house of cards” or something the like. The games were always hard fought, but usually ended in Raiders losses due more to their own self destruction than anything the Chiefs did.

The first meeting in 1995 might have been one of the most bizarre. As usual I was in a Sports bar in PA for this game. By myself. At a nearby table was a large group of Raiders fans. The Raiders are getting the better of it for most of the game. The whole time this Raider crew is whooping it up. Still, they fail to put the Chiefs away. I don’t remember exactly how but in the 4th quarter the Chiefs come back and tie the score. With about 2 minutes left or so, the Raiders have the ball deep in their own territory. A Jeff Hostetler pass is deflected at the line and intercepted. Game over! Not so, fast my friend! The Chiefs miss the winning FG and its off to OT we go.

The Raiders are mounting a drive. The Raider fans at the bar are getting loud. Hostetler attempts to connect with Tim Brown on a crossing route that will put them in FG range. Brown collides with the official and the balls falls effortlessly into James Hasty’s hands. Hasty returns the interception 60-70 yards for the winning TD. I recall Hostetler complaining to referees about the “interference”.

The Raider fans are stunned. I summoned my inner Ric Flair and bellowed, “One more time the Raiders find a way to lose to Kansas City! Wooooooooooooo!” I gathered my senses, remembered there were about 8 Raider fans there at least, paid my tab and left. I suspect they were so dumbfounded they never heard me, but I wasn’t taking any chances.

Raider games were a blast during the Marty years.
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
Another fun memory from the 1995 season, but first some history. During Marty Schottenheimer’s tenure as Chiefs coach, he renewed the passion in the Chiefs-Raiders rivalry which had sadly faded during the late 70’s and 80’s – mostly due to the Chiefs sucking so bad.

The Chiefs had an amazing record versus “da Raidas” during the Marty regime. In fact there may have been a streak of double digit wins. Marty’s motto was “Take their best punch and punch right back and they’ll fold like a house of cards” or something the like. The games were always hard fought, but usually ended in Raiders losses due more to their own self destruction than anything the Chiefs did.

The first meeting in 1995 might have been one of the most bizarre. As usual I was in a Sports bar in PA for this game. By myself. At a nearby table was a large group of Raiders fans. The Raiders are getting the better of it for most of the game. The whole time this Raider crew is whooping it up. Still, they fail to put the Chiefs away. I don’t remember exactly how but in the 4th quarter the Chiefs come back and tie the score. With about 2 minutes left or so, the Raiders have the ball deep in their own territory. A Jeff Hostetler pass is deflected at the line and intercepted. Game over! Not so, fast my friend! The Chiefs miss the winning FG and its off to OT we go.

The Raiders are mounting a drive. The Raider fans at the bar are getting loud. Hostetler attempts to connect with Tim Brown on a crossing route that will put them in FG range. Brown collides with the official and the balls falls effortlessly into James Hasty’s hands. Hasty returns the interception 60-70 yards for the winning TD. I recall Hostetler complaining to referees about the “interference”.

The Raider fans are stunned. I summoned my inner Ric Flair and bellowed, “One more time the Raiders find a way to lose to Kansas City! Wooooooooooooo!” I gathered my senses, remembered there were about 8 Raider fans there at least, paid my tab and left. I suspect they were so dumbfounded they never heard me, but I wasn’t taking any chances.

Raider games were a blast during the Marty years.

I dug up a really good article on this game. It highlights Marty's hatred
for the Raiders and that of former Raiders Marcus Allen and coaches Art Shell and Gunny Cunningham.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007158/index.htm
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year is 2002. The Chiefs are in their second year under - Vermeil. The year prior, the team finished with a poor 6-10 record. The lone bright spot on offense is Priest Holmes, an “under the radar” free agent intended to serve as a change of pace back to Tony Richardson. Some dumb Chiefs fans (who?) are upset the Chiefs don’t make a run at Corey Dillon instead. Soon Holmes takes over the starting job and Richardson is moved back to FB. The rest is history.

When the Chiefs played the Jets at the Meadowlands in 2002, history hadn’t been written yet. On this occasion I’m at the game with my Chiefs PA posse of three. Myself, Bob, and Pat the Racist. I’d never been to a Chiefs game at Philly, but knew what their fans are like. Knowing New York fans aren’t much better, I’m prepared for the worst.

Bob is a stoner and weighs 150 lbs, maybe, soaking wet. However, Pat the Racist is an imposing giant of a man. I’m not tiny myself. At that time I’m going 6’2” 225 and in the best shape of my life. PTR is 6’5” 300 lbs. He’s a former high school OL star who blew a scholarship to Miami under then coach Howard Schellenberger getting stoned. Pat has a booming baritone voice and is groomed similarly to Rob Zombie at the time with long scraggly hair and a beard to match. He looks like a wild mountain man. This makes me feel a bit more comfortable in hostile territory.

The three of us, like boobs, are dressed from head to toe in Chiefs gear. Bob’s wearing the same Chiefs Zubaz sweatpants he’d been wearing for at least 7 years. We stick out like sore thumbs parading through the parking lot amidst a sea of green. In particular my attire is noteworthy. I decided to wear a new mustard colored Chief shirt for its uniqueness. To further highlight my “panache” I wear these ridiculous Indian style leather bracelets. In retrospect, I probably looked more like one of the Village People than a Chiefs fan. And the abuse begins.

All day long taunts come from everywhere. In particular a row of about 8 Jets fans in our section won’t let up. The homosexual slurs alone would offend Matt Millen.

The game is close. Holmes has a big game both running and receiving the ball. Third year QB Chad Pennington is playing well and making me believe he is a future star. The Chiefs complete a comeback victory on a short dump to Holmes who turns it into a 20+ yard TD run. Then the fun begins.

As the crowd begins to exit, two female Chief fans ask if I’ll take their photo with the field in the background. NBD. I oblige, take the picture and turn to see my buddies are gone. Great! I’m on my own.

As I exit, the line comes to a standstill right at the row of abusive Jet fans. They let me have it. I’m scared to death, but give it right back. The guy closest to me and I get into it.

Jets guy: You look like a f@&&ot in that g@y mustard yellow shirt.
Me: Well at least my teams color isn’t dog $hit green.

Dog $hit green? Doot!!!!!!!!!! I can see one of the other guys mouthing the same question. Anyway the WWE antics continue and I put on my mean face.

Jets guy: What? Do you want to kiss me or something?
Me: Oh, I have a biiiggg kiss for you, sweetie.
Jets guy: Oh really, with all of my friends here?
Me, leaning in close: I’m sure they’ll kick my arse, but I’ll get you.

Ah, much better than “dog $hit green”. The guy’s pupils dialated. I felt a sense of relief seeing his fear. On cue, another Jets fan interceded.

Jets Guy2: Hey guys settle down. It’s just a game.
Me: Tell it to them. I just want to get out of here. My team beat yours. They were better. Get over it. Go home and beat your girl or kick your f’g dog or something.
Jets Guy2: You don’t need to act like that.

Great! I’ve irritated the lone voice of reason coming to my aid. Eventually, the line moves and I escaped to the landing unscathed. I’m still getting verbal abuse all the way out the stadium and into the parking lot, except I just keep my mouth shut. I’m not a total idiot.

I get back to car and ask my friends why they left me. PTR replies, “I thought you were trying to get laid.” Oh, brother!

Anyway, the morale to the story is: When traveling to opposing stadiums, watch your drinking and your temper. It is just a game and not worth getting into trouble over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: