Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Favorite Chiefs Memories
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Favorite Chiefs Memories Reply with quote

We’ve been encouraged to discuss other topics besides the stale Alex Smith trade. I thought we could kick around some memories. Here goes:

The year is 1992. Coach Marty Schottenheimer is still employing Martyball. Dave Krieg is the Chief’s QB. Christian Okoye is still the bulldozer.

The Philadelphia Eagles are coming off of a disappointing season in 1991. Randall Cunningham was lost for the entire season. Coach Buddy Ryan’s 91 defense was one of the best ever. Headed by the late Reggie White and late Jerome Brown, the defense also features Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, Wes Hopkins and Eric Allen. In 1992 that unit returns with a healthy Randall Cunningham and newly acquired Hershel Walker.

The Eagles open the season undefeated (4-0?) and are coming off of an highly charged Monday night thumping of the hated Dallas Cowboys. Next stop: Arrowhead.

I’m living in eastern PA at that time. In Philly, if the Eagles win two straight the fans are sure a Super Bowl is eminent. Two losses and they’re jumping off of the Walt Whitman bridge. The local sports talk radio station, 610 WIP, is ablaze with talk not only of a Super Bowl but a perfect season. Surely these Chiefs will not run on this defense. No one can. Chalk one up in the win column. I was taking guff from friends and co-workers. I played it cool replying smugly to most barbs with “We’ll see.”

Now back in the day, the Chiefs had an amazing record versus the spread as home underdogs. It happened rarely, but it was like free money. This was one of those rare instances. The planets aligned perfectly for an upset. The huge win over Dallas. Arrowhead. Home dogs. I should have bet money—lots of money. I was sure of victory. The most I wagered was lunch with co-worker. I was still rewarded.

The pundits were right. The Chiefs didn’t run the ball well that day. They didn’t have to. I believe the first offensive play was a successful play-action bomb to Willie Davis. They perfectly game planned and executed play-action passing that caught the Eagles off-guard and unprepared. The Chiefs got off to a quick start from which Philly never recovered. It was the Chiefs defense stifling the Eagles offense and harassing Randall Cunningham. In the end, the Eagles back-doored the Chiefs a bit. The score ended 24-17, but really was never that close.

I didn’t make a financial windfall, but I did get lunch and walked tall for the next week or two. I wore Chiefs gear probably every day, including a visit to Veteran Stadium for an Eagles game a few weeks later. While walking through the parking lot, an Eagles fan yelled, “Chiefs suck!” I yelled back, “They didn’t two weeks ago, did they?!”

The 92 Chiefs had a pretty mediocre season. I think they finished 9-7 missed the playoffs. Big changes came in the offseason as Joe Montana was acquired and Marcus Allen signed as a FA. The 93 season is arguably the greatest in Chiefs history after Super Bowl IV.

As for the 92 Eagles, they were never the same after that. The upstart Dallas Cowboys were taking the NFL by storm despite the Monday night loss. Buddy Ryan was fired in the offseason in favor of Rich Kotite and a downward spiral began. With the cheap owner Norman Braman and free agency looming on the horizon, the superstar defense left for other opportunities.

The Chiefs may have been the impetus for the Eagles demise, one that probably wasn’t fully corrected until a little known coach named Andy Reid was hired. Irony, what a kick.

It was a great moment for all six Chief fans in PA. Wink

Last edited by Mongo on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the Chiefs at home against a playoff team in the 90's was money in the bank. Clearly you are going off memory, but what Chiefs fan doesn't remember the run from 90-95 without missing the playoffs?

My memory is the first game I attended against the Bolts on Monday night, 1995. Bono to Walker to send the game to OT was an afterthought, cuz I wanted Bono to be benched. Vanover wins the game with the first PR TD to end an OT game. When he hit that opening, the roar was indescribably deafening, the euphoria such that you would have accepted a hug, high five or kiss from the ugliest or heaviest of human beings as long as they were wearing red.

On a more boring note, I attended the game KC beat the high powered 49ers like 44-9 in '97....DT presented Steve Young with a skirt before the game and proceeded to chase him around like a school girl for 3 quarters, before taking off early with the game in hand to get a head start on chasing around the girls of the KC night club scene.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of

Last edited by ArrowheadRage58 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
samsel23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002 Chiefs-Browns

I'll never forget listening to the Tait fumble/Rudd helmet throw on the radio. I was at a basketball tournament and remember trying to explain what happened to my friends, yet I didn't even understand Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gViWWDWsg6Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Best game ever. Missed school the next day with a soar throat from screaming so hard at the tv.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dante Hall as our KR.

Priest Holmes breaking the rushing TD record.

Gonzo breaking every major TE record.
Piquel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Stoyanovich for President! 11/16/97 Den @ KC

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199711160kan.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQv54mLkQo

Keith Cash spikes ball in Buddy Ryan's Face! 1/16/94 KC @ Hou last playoff win Crying or Very sad

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199401160oti.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5zNNkAtrz8
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-game memory. Meeting Marcus Allen (who we ran into like 4 separate times, and he even joked about us stalking him) Neil Smith, and my favorite Chief of all time Derrick Thomas in River Falls, WI at the Chiefs training camp. Somehow we wound up behind the locker room where players parked.

I was taking a picture with Marcus Allen's Land Cruiser (said so around the license plate) when I heard someone yell, "Hey, what are you doing by my car!" Marcus Allen walked up and started talking to me (I was I think 11 at the time). Asked who my favorite players were etc. When I said Derrick was my favorite player (I'm sure he expected me to say him) he said hold on...jogged back inside and after a couple minutes came out and said, Derrick wants you to stay here until he comes out. After about 5 more minutes, DT came out and Marcus went on his way. Derrick walked right up to me, started talking to me, I held a piece of paper to get his autograph (initially) and he asked if he should hold it cause I was shaking so bad!

After a bit he went on his way, we got some more autographs, Dale Carter among others. Easily one of the highlights of my young life, and the main reason that even though I lived in WI most of my life, the Chiefs are always going to be my number 1 team.

As far as in game goes, hard to pick one. I remember a game against the Packers back in the day, where Benny Thompson I think it was obliterated Robert Brooks, and then pretended to be a dog peeing on a fire hydrant...one of the funniest football moments I can remember.
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
I agree, the Chiefs at home against a playoff team in the 90's was money in the bank. Clearly you are going off memory, but what Chiefs fan doesn't remember the run from 90-95 without missing the playoffs?

My memory is the first game I attended against the Bolts on Monday night, 1995. Bono to Walker to send the game to OT was an afterthought, cuz I wanted Bono to be benched. Vanover wins the game with the first PR TD to end an OT game. When he hit that opening, the roar was indescribably deafening, the euphoria such that you would have accepted a hug, high five or kiss from the ugliest or heaviest of human beings as long as they were wearing red.

On a more boring note, I attended the game KC beat the high powered 49ers like 44-9 in '97....DT presented Steve Young with a skirt before the game and proceeded to chase him around like a school girl for 3 quarters, before taking off early with the game in hand to get a head start on chasing around the girls of the KC night club scene.

All my recollections are from memory. I'll spare you the “I thinks” and “I believes”.

That Niner game was another home dog situation. There was a lot of hoopla given to Dana Stubblefield and Cullen Bryant, the Niners stud DT and the “havoc they were going to create”. They forgot about Will Shields and the boys. Stubblefield and Bryant did nothing.

What I remember of the Vanover game is weird. On the replay, as he is nearing the end-zone, you can see a fan behind the end zone, waving him in, saying “Come to me.” Funny what one remembers. Ask me where my car keys are and I have no clue.

As for Vanover, what a waste of God-given ability. He was over 220 lbs and ran like a deer. A true example of a $6M body and a two cent brain. I’m not just talking about his personal life either. He never learned to run routes. They tried him at RB, but he had no patience. What a waste. More on him later.

Steve Bono. I almost felt sorry for him. As the 95 season went on, Bono sphincter tightened visibly with each game. He clearly was not comfortable being “the guy.” Lin Elliot will always live in infamy for the loss to Colts in the playoffs. The game might not have come down to a missed FG had Bono not played so terribly.

That game is the only time I came close to crying over a football as an adult. Had I been alone I would have. That 1995 season was magical. So many games were won via extreme circumstances. And the defense was easily the best Chiefs D I’ve ever seen. I believe they were second in yards against and first in points allowed.

Anyway, early in the season they are playing the Cleveland Browns. I’m at near empty sports bar in PA, as this is the 4:00 game. My normal Chiefs buddies, Bob and Pat the Racist, are not with me, as was usual. I’m by myself.

The Chiefs are getting whooped. Bono is playing badly. I notice the guy at the table next to me is paying attention to the same game. He’s cursing Bono. “Damnit Steve”, etc. No big deal. So am I. Eventually he and I start talking. We talked about a game earlier in the season. He says, “Well, I talked to Steve after the game and he said…” I realize he’s talking about Bono. He talks to Steve Bono. Okay! Cuckoo, cuckoo!

It turns out this guy is Joe Bono, Steve’s uncle. Steve is from Norristown, PA. Joe tells me how Steve is excited about Tamarick Vanover’s potential. Apparently Steve claimed, “He’s gonna make me look like a star!” Shows what players know. Keep this in mind while watching the player’s countdown of the top 100
players.

Joe joins our crew and for the remainder of the season things go well. For whatever reason we aren’t together for the playoff debacle. The next year the relationship unraveled just like Bono’s career. His play gets worse and worse and the tension at our outings mounts as we all want to gripe about Bono but can’t. We’re sitting with his uncle. Imagine a guy nicknamed “Pat the Racist” having to hold his tongue. I’m actually the benevolent one. Eventually, on the phone, Joe tells me he is mercifully dropping out of the group. He senses the tension and feels it would be better if he stops coming. I lost touch with him shortly after.

Last edited by Mongo on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
2002 Chiefs-Browns

I'll never forget listening to the Tait fumble/Rudd helmet throw on the radio. I was at a basketball tournament and remember trying to explain what happened to my friends, yet I didn't even understand Laughing

I was at a very crowded sports bar in PA for this game. The Rudd incident came as a result of a sack on Trent Green. John Tait runs pretty far with the ball but is stopped. Game over. I turned my attention to another game and never saw what happened. When the score appeared on the game I switched to, I thought it was a mistake.

If Tait doesn’t futilely run with the ball, the penalty alone probably doesn’t put the Chiefs in FG range.

That has to one of the more bizarre endings in Chiefs’ history.
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piquel wrote:

Keith Cash spikes ball in Buddy Ryan's Face! 1/16/94 KC @ Hou last playoff win Crying or Very sad

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199401160oti.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5zNNkAtrz8

I knew the Chiefs would win this game. The pundits were sure fragile Joe Montana would be on a stretcher before the half at the hands of Buddy Ryan’s killer defense. In all of the hoopla over Houston’s defense, the whole team had big chips on their shoulder. I knew that with the combination of Joe’s quick decisions and our OL we would win.

Overall, our OL never got its just due in the 90’s. It was excellent, especially on the interior. While Will Shields was recognized nationally, Dave Szott and Tim Grunhard were both very good. I don’t know if either ever made a Pro-Bowl, but both were very deserving.

Anyway, DT got a few sacks that game. Sadly, it was probably the only meaningful playoff performance of his career. A legitimate knock on DT is he disappeared in the playoffs. He surely got bulldozed the following week.

I recall Marcus Allen running in the decisive TD. It was probably the last time Marcus ran away from anyone in his career. 

Definitely one of the most satisfying wins only to be followed by heartbreak. The sad part of that season was a stupid loss to a poor Minnesota(?) team late in the season that cost the Chiefs home field advantage. The weather was awful in Buffalo for the AFCC. Had it been in KC, I’m sure things would have been different.

BTW: The comeback win versus Pittsburgh in the Wild Card round the week before was pretty damned good too. Everyone remembers the Montana versus Elway shootout from the next season. The comeback versus the Steelers was epic, classic Montana. Remember Steelers TE Eric Green taunting the crowd after scoring the seemingly decisive TD? I was livid. Didn’t a blocked punt set KC up for the tying score to send the game to OT?
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Non-game memory. Meeting Marcus Allen (who we ran into like 4 separate times, and he even joked about us stalking him) Neil Smith, and my favorite Chief of all time Derrick Thomas in River Falls, WI at the Chiefs training camp. Somehow we wound up behind the locker room where players parked.

I was taking a picture with Marcus Allen's Land Cruiser (said so around the license plate) when I heard someone yell, "Hey, what are you doing by my car!" Marcus Allen walked up and started talking to me (I was I think 11 at the time). Asked who my favorite players were etc. When I said Derrick was my favorite player (I'm sure he expected me to say him) he said hold on...jogged back inside and after a couple minutes came out and said, Derrick wants you to stay here until he comes out. After about 5 more minutes, DT came out and Marcus went on his way. Derrick walked right up to me, started talking to me, I held a piece of paper to get his autograph (initially) and he asked if he should hold it cause I was shaking so bad!

After a bit he went on his way, we got some more autographs, Dale Carter among others. Easily one of the highlights of my young life, and the main reason that even though I lived in WI most of my life, the Chiefs are always going to be my number 1 team.

As far as in game goes, hard to pick one. I remember a game against the Packers back in the day, where Benny Thompson I think it was obliterated Robert Brooks, and then pretended to be a dog peeing on a fire hydrant...one of the funniest football moments I can remember.

My second trip to Arrowhead came on the last week of the 1993 regular season. The loss to Minnesota the prior week pretty much locked the Chiefs into the third seed. The game itself was pretty uneventful. The Chiefs sat Montana since he could be injured by a stiff breeze. The weather was horrible. It was a rainy winter day, which to me is the worst. The Chiefs won pretty handily. I do recall admiring Seattle’s young QB Rick Mirer and thinking he might turn out to be something special. Ha!

My brother and I were looking for something to do after the game and went to an after game party at some nearby hotel. We were told Chief players often showed up and signed autographs. So we went. It’s held in a banquet room at the hotel. In pops Pellum McDaniel, a young backup DT. Big deal! This is lame. Next thing, Neil Smith comes in. Holy cow!

Unlike you, I’m a young adult of 25 years at this time. Still, I must’ve been star-struck or something because my brain turns to mush. Luckily my brother has his wits about him and leads me to buy a pennant and get it signed. In games Neil Smith wore a band-aid across the bridge of his nose. I’ve always suffered with poor sinuses. I vowed jokingly to friends that if I ever met him I’d ask why he wore the band-aid. Here was my chance. I asked him and he gave me the oddest look. I never understood why. It was as if he thought I was making fun of him. He finally explained he had broken his nose in college and at the time wore it to help with his breathing. It stuck (no pun intended) and he had been doing it ever since. It was probably the inspiration for the Breathe-Right Strip.

Next thing you know, my brother spots Derrick Thomas in the hallway. My head’s ready to explode. The thing is there are two girlies hanging on him, so we have to wait for him to break free. I eventually got the autograph and still have the pennant.
jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the tears run down the face of Jack Rudney EVERYTIME the National Anthem was played.
TambaHawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2011 Chiefs-Chargers Monday Night football game on Halloween..

ending with this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvzyJlt7OY

TambaHawk wrote:
Oh we are getting a Smith just not Geno Smith Laughing
simonwayne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TambaHawk wrote:

ending with this,

McCluster taking it to the house on that punt return that game was nice as well.
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TambaHawk wrote:

ending with this,

That was a fun game. I didn't have my voice for a couple days after.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:9/Yds:23/TD:0/YPC:2.6
Rec:5/Yds:23/TD:0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: