Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What WRs are available?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: What WRs are available? Reply with quote

Now, with having released Leach, we've freed up a bit of cap room that would allow us to make a play at another player towards training camp. The odds on favorite is it to be a WR to play opposite Torrey.

The question remains -- which WRs might be potential targets, whether it be a trade for a mid-round pick (a la Lee Evans) or a camp casualty?

Now, one would have to think it won't be a player commanding a new contract, so a guy like Victor Cruz would be out. You'd also have to think that a guy who could step in as a starting WR for us likely won't come from a team who has playoff/SB aspirations, so a guy like Reggie Wayne probably wouldn't happen.

So who's left? Here are some names I think might be potential options:

Quote:
Brandon Lloyd - Doubtful, but potentially.

Santana Moss - A bit older, but still had a decently productive season. But then again, Redskins don't have many draft picks so maybe not be open to letting a veteran like Moss go.

Jeremy Maclin - Would be looking for a new contract, but likely nothing too hefty. Would Philly want to keep him?

Santonio Holmes - A bit older, attitude a bit of a problem, but on a team that's in a downward spiral and may be a decent veteran pick up.

Nate Washington - Another older guy but has been ok for Tennessee. With Britt being back, Wright being in his 2nd year, and drafting Hunter, Washington may be an odd man out.

Austin Pettis - Not much productivity in his career thus far, but might be decent competition in there with Doss and the others. Likely not a #2 though.

Overall, the talent pool looks pretty slim. I suppose names like Steve Smith (CAR), Miles Austin or Malcolm Floyd could be other possibilities, but I'd have to believe they'd be long shots.

Any names you all can think of?

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to think about some options, but in the meantime here's a bit of a damper on the whole discussion:

http://russellstreetreport.com/ravens-salary-cap-leach-a-victim-of-moneyball/

The most relevant portion:

Quote:
It is this $6M-plus in Cap space (which will be down to $5,374,459 under after Matt Elam finally signs his rookie deal) that has many fans and observers thinking big,
However, the reality is that, while maybe a little more than necessary, that amount is around the amount of Cap space that most teams would prefer to carry into the season to cover for the inevitable injuries that will likely occur. Certainly, the Ravens would have liked to have a little less space than that and still had Leach, but it appears that they could not find a middle ground on an agreeable number to keep Leach in purple.
Remember, at this time of the year, only the top 51 Cap numbers (and all bonus prorations and all dead money) count against the Cap – so, the present Cap space is based on only those 51 players. However, as of week 1 of the season, all players on the 53-man roster, players on the practice squad and players on IR will count against the Cap.
Consequently, the Ravens will lose at least $810K for the 2 players necessary to fill out the 53-man roster and another $816K will be needed for the team’s 8 practice squad players. Those numbers alone – barring any other roster moves, and understanding that the amount of available Cap space at that time may be more because players who are presently outside the top 51 may make the team over more expensive players presently counting amongst the top 51 – will bring that projected Cap space down to just under $3.75M.
Then, there will be the inevitable injuries that the club needs to be prepared for. All players on IR still count against the Cap – as do the players signed to replace them. As such, the team could need several million dollars for those players.
With Leach still at his $3M base salary, that would leave the team precariously close to the Cap limit, so something – be it with Leach or someone else – was going to have to happen.
So, much like the move to reduce OT Bryant McKinnie’s base salary last September, this attempt to reduce Leach’s base salary is very much rooted in the need to carry enough Salary Cap space into the season to deal with what may come down the pike.
Again, though, without Leach, they probably do have a little more excess than they want or need, so it is possible they could make a minor signing or two – a veteran free agent fullback could most certainly be in the offing.
The one silver lining to all of this, though, is that if the team doesn’t end up having a bunch of injuries resulting in excess Cap space at the end of the season, they will be very happy to carry that over into 2014, a season when yet again they will face another serious Salary Cap crunch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want any of the WRs currently on the market or potentially available, to be honest. The Ravens have about eight WRs on their roster, and if there aren't three or four guys good enough to start, then what are they doing there?

Tandon Doss and LaQuan Williams are going into their third seasons, along with Torrey. David Reed is in his fourth season. Those guys have to either step up now, or they should be cut.

If there is any money left after Elam signs, I'd use that to try and get Dennis Pitta onto a long term deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I wouldn't want any of the WRs currently on the market or potentially available, to be honest. The Ravens have about eight WRs on their roster, and if there aren't three or four guys good enough to start, then what are they doing there?

Tandon Doss and LaQuan Williams are going into their third seasons, along with Torrey. David Reed is in his fourth season. Those guys have to either step up now, or they should be cut.

If there is any money left after Elam signs, I'd use that to try and get Dennis Pitta onto a long term deal.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Who could we really get that would be a large enough upgrade to warrant the cap space via free agency or possible trade. I honestly can't think of anyone I'd really want and unless some shocking cut happens I'd rather just go with what we have.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on Sidney Rice up in Seattle.

He makes too much to trade for him, but with the investment the Seahawks made in Harvin, he could be a camp casualty.

But frankly, if we can't get somebody who is a true starter, I'd prefer to just play it out with what we have and get the TEs and Juice more involved in the passing game.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:

He makes too much to trade for him, but with the investment the Seahawks made in Harvin, he could be a camp casualty.

But frankly, if we can't get somebody who is a true starter, I'd prefer to just play it out with what we have and get the TEs and Juice more involved in the passing game.

Doubtful. If anyone is a camp casualty from Seattle it's likely going to be Doug Baldwin, who I think is a very good WR. Sidney Rice is still the 2nd best WR on that team and Golden Tate forming a very solid trio is something that team needs. Doug Baldwin could VERY easily be lured away from Seattle because, quite frankly, he's too talented to be a #4 WR in this league.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:

Doubtful. If anyone is a camp casualty from Seattle it's likely going to be Doug Baldwin, who I think is a very good WR. Sidney Rice is still the 2nd best WR on that team and Golden Tate forming a very solid trio is something that team needs. Doug Baldwin could VERY easily be lured away from Seattle because, quite frankly, he's too talented to be a #4 WR in this league.

Baldwin actually seems like a good fit for the Ravens. If we're going to pursue a receiver, I'd want it to be a slot guy, not another outside receiver/burner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:

You may be right, but with Rice's bloated contract and injury history, him being cut is still a distinct possibility.

The available and potentially available options at WR right now are garbage.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we make a run at Andre Roberts.

Heard Malcolm Floyd is starting to come along and is ready to take the #2 job from Roberts.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Collie is another guy I could see us making a play at.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way the Cardinals make Roberts available. Even if Floyd takes over the #2 role we all know that a #3 receiver is just as important these days and Arizona doesn't have anybody else on the roster they can rely on. Especially with Swope's concussion issues.
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me Holmes!

Boy makes plays and will keep the peace because Sanchez won't be throwing him the ball!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather we just went with what we have. Out of the receivers named in this thread Doug Baldwin is the only one that I would be interested in. Outside of him, I'd rather just see what our young guys can develop into.

Jacoby Jones has thrived under his opportunities on the outside against some quality corners. Hopefully he's still working on his hands and concentration so that problem doesn't resurrect itself from his Houston Texans days.

And we've got a collection of slot guys in David Reed, Tandon Doss, and Aaron Mellette. So while we're not dealing with an experienced bunch, we're dealing with a group that's going to bring it every Sunday. For all we know one of our young guys could be the next Doug Baldwin... late round guy to really turn it on.

I'm not a fan of Sidney Rice, he's simply too injury prone and makes way too much money that I would be willing to throw at a receiver. If receiver is going to be the issues this season, I'd rather just wait to address it in next year's draft after being sure that this group can't cut it than to make a horrible financial decision and overpay for a high injury risk.

Santonio Holmes would bring both character issues (Pit and NY) as well as another player recovering from a torn Achilles tendon. Holmes was already old and on the decline. His explosiveness is what made him such a difficult player to cover, but after such an injury the likelihood that he still has that same agility/explosiveness isn't going to be in his favor. I'd pass.

At least with our young group we don't have to worry about any diva- like attitudes arising and guys demanding to get the ball more. All of them are young and want to make the right impression. None are all-star WRs outside of perhaps Torrey Smith. If another name becomes available at a later time, I might be interested.

It was mentioned that Steve Smith was a long shot, if he's placed on the trading block, I wouldn't mind pursuing him as a receiver depending on his contract. We know that he wouldn't mind playing here as we were supposedly on his short list when he asked the Panthers to place him on the trade block. At that time, we had no need for a receiver... and we still might not have one. But come training camp, if things aren't looking good, that would be a move that I would consider exploring.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin is a guy that really intrigues me. Think about Wes Welker, but faster, taller and stronger.

He's obviously not going to get a lot of PT for the Hawks, and could come here and immediately be a slot guy for us, since that's really what we don't have.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Britt or Nate Washington could be on the outs in Tennessee, and it wouldn't shock me if Justin Blackmon became available either.

More broadly I look for the offense to feature a lot of two tight end sets, perhaps even two tight ends and a fullback. A combination of Smith, Rice, Pitta, Dickson, and Juszczyk would give the Ravens a personal grouping with the flexibility to run any formation from five wide receivers to three tight ends. In their two receiver sets, I think Smith and Thompson / Jones will largely be used to blow the top off of defenses, and to open up the middle and underneath routes for Pitta, Rice, and Dickson. I look for Pitta to replace Boldin's production, and Dickson to replace Pitta's production, rather than the offense relaying on Jones to replace Boldin and Thompson to replace Jones.

If I had to guess;

Smith 1000, 7 TDs
Pitta 800, 8 TDs
Rice 600, 4 TDs
Dickson 550, 4 TDs
Jones 450, 3 TDs
Thompson 350, 2 TDs
Juszczyk 275, 1 TDs
Streeter 250, 1 TDs
Doss 100, 0 TDs
Pierce 50, 0 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: