Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos release RB Willis McGahee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Many around here expected this. Hes injury and fumble prone, plus the Broncos want to get younger.

Its now on Ball, Hillman and Knowshon to carry the load. Knowshon is also now the best pass pro back we have.
Knowshon isn't a lock to make the team either, coming off of an injury he has a lot to prove.

I disagree. Barring injury, Knoshown is now a lock to make the team. We need experience back there and he is better than Lance Ball.
1. Ball
2. Hillman
3. Moreno
4. Hester

We cut Lance Ball and CJ is on the practice squad.
The only locks I see are M. Ball, Hillman, and Hester. Those three will be our primary contributors this year. After that, you have to factor special teams into the equation. That is a definite knock against Moreno in this situation. To me the last spot will come down to L Ball, J Johnson, and my darkhorse, CJ Anderson. Also we can't discount another competitor to the mix as others have suggested.

I have to ask.... why is Hester a "lock"? Hes very far from considered a lock on this team if you ask me. I think he makes it but definitely not a lock. Ball and Hillman are locks at the running back position, no one else.

If you ask me, Knowshon is absolutely making this team, unless he suffers an injury in camp. Theres no way he gets cut over Ball, Johnson or Anderson. Ever.
Hester is a lock for a couple reasons. His versatility is something Gase has talked about alot this offseason. He does a good if not great job on punt protection and kickoff coverage. He is the only back on the roster who can do the things he does.

As for Moreno I don't see what value he brings to the roster. He did a decent job last year after McGahee went down, but he is hardly an asset as a third or fourth option. As I said earlier, the 3rd and 4th RB positions need to contribute on special teams.

I think youre being a little too crazy about this special team thing. The Broncos have plenty of players to play special teams. Think about the young depth they have at LB, CB, S, TE and WR. Plus, NFL teams are not using RB's on special teams as much. Special Teams isnt the deciding factor.

Knowshon is the only experienced RB left on the roster and the only one proven to handle pass pro on a consistent basis. To say hes "not an asset as a 3rd or 4th option" is so wrong. Not many teams can say they have that type of a 3rd option. Remember, he was a very good spot starter last year, thats what you want in a backup.
I wouldn't say very good. He did a nice job, but his average was under 4 yards a carry with over 100 attempts. Not what I would call very good.

Personally I am ready to move on from Moreno and think the Broncos may be too. I won't be surprised if he makes the team and think he could. It depends on others, but I am hoping someone steps up and makes Moreno expendable.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Many around here expected this. Hes injury and fumble prone, plus the Broncos want to get younger.

Its now on Ball, Hillman and Knowshon to carry the load. Knowshon is also now the best pass pro back we have.
Knowshon isn't a lock to make the team either, coming off of an injury he has a lot to prove.

I disagree. Barring injury, Knoshown is now a lock to make the team. We need experience back there and he is better than Lance Ball.
1. Ball
2. Hillman
3. Moreno
4. Hester

We cut Lance Ball and CJ is on the practice squad.
The only locks I see are M. Ball, Hillman, and Hester. Those three will be our primary contributors this year. After that, you have to factor special teams into the equation. That is a definite knock against Moreno in this situation. To me the last spot will come down to L Ball, J Johnson, and my darkhorse, CJ Anderson. Also we can't discount another competitor to the mix as others have suggested.

I have to ask.... why is Hester a "lock"? Hes very far from considered a lock on this team if you ask me. I think he makes it but definitely not a lock. Ball and Hillman are locks at the running back position, no one else.

If you ask me, Knowshon is absolutely making this team, unless he suffers an injury in camp. Theres no way he gets cut over Ball, Johnson or Anderson. Ever.
Hester is a lock for a couple reasons. His versatility is something Gase has talked about alot this offseason. He does a good if not great job on punt protection and kickoff coverage. He is the only back on the roster who can do the things he does.

As for Moreno I don't see what value he brings to the roster. He did a decent job last year after McGahee went down, but he is hardly an asset as a third or fourth option. As I said earlier, the 3rd and 4th RB positions need to contribute on special teams.

I think youre being a little too crazy about this special team thing. The Broncos have plenty of players to play special teams. Think about the young depth they have at LB, CB, S, TE and WR. Plus, NFL teams are not using RB's on special teams as much. Special Teams isnt the deciding factor.

Knowshon is the only experienced RB left on the roster and the only one proven to handle pass pro on a consistent basis. To say hes "not an asset as a 3rd or 4th option" is so wrong. Not many teams can say they have that type of a 3rd option. Remember, he was a very good spot starter last year, thats what you want in a backup.
I wouldn't say very good. He did a nice job, but his average was under 4 yards a carry with over 100 attempts. Not what I would call very good.

Personally I am ready to move on from Moreno and think the Broncos may be too. I won't be surprised if he makes the team and think he could. It depends on others, but I am hoping someone steps up and makes Moreno expendable.

Wow. Thats a very poor way of thinking and definitely not how the Broncos are. They could have moved on last year but he worked his way as the scout team RB to earn the starting job when McGahee went down. I think you couldnt be further from the truth.

No offense to you winder but this is one of my biggest pet peeves with fans of sports teams. "Im ready to move on, even though I recognize the guy is a good play". So silly. You dont just let go of a talented player, that works really hard and is not a bad guy in the locker room. You just dont, especially at a position with two very unproven young players.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax folks. The application of a little common sense says that Moreno is making the team. Personal biases and prejudices aside, Knowshown is the third most talented back on the team. He is a veteran back with experience while the top two have almost none. Barring injury he is a lock.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
They didn't cut him because he missed voluntary workouts. I would question your sources AAA. Eventually common sense has to kick in.

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
Cutting someone because of missed voluntary camp would be ridiculous. I'm not shocked he is gone, but I wanted him on the team. He was our best runner on the roster. And best pass blocker as well.

I didn't say, nor was I told, that his absence was the sole reason for releasing him. I was just told that his absence was not well-received by the leadership. $2.5m for a player who will be see a small number of carries, cannot play much on special teams and is over 30 and coming off (another) serious injury I'm sure were huge factors as well. That and the fact that the coaching staff and Elway just LOVE Montee Ball.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why that would be an issue, but I guess I jumped the gun there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Broncos setting themselves up for another free agent signing with the cut of McGahee?

Cap space math:
+ $2.5M cap saving from McGahee cut
- $600K cap hit from signing Montee Ball
- probably another $2-3M in reserve for other rookie signings

That equates to about $10M in cap space. Add in the likely cut of Joe Mays. By August, the team may have $12M to play with.

I don't know how much Clady's contract will eat into the cap space.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to see McGahee go, but it doesn't shock me. There's been nothing but glowing reviews out of Dove Valley for Hillman and Ball, add in Knowshon, who is a very capable 3rd down guy, and it makes sense that Willis is gone. Denver did the classy thing and let him go early so he can make a team.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
Are the Broncos setting themselves up for another free agent signing with the cut of McGahee?

Cap space math:
+ $2.5M cap saving from McGahee cut
- $600K cap hit from signing Montee Ball
- probably another $2-3M in reserve for other rookie signings

That equates to about $10M in cap space. Add in the likely cut of Joe Mays. By August, the team may have $12M to play with.

I don't know how much Clady's contract will eat into the cap space.

Im sure most of it is for the rest of the draft picks and Clady, as well as, consider the free agents next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew it was going to happen over Knowshon, yet I received a forum esque public stoning. Younger, Cheaper, and better on 3rd down.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
Knew it was going to happen over Knowshon, yet I received a forum esque public stoning. Younger, Cheaper, and better on 3rd down.

That's like choosing between being shot or hung.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:

well...well...look at you...just better than everyone now aren't you?
mke1010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

That's like choosing between being shot or hung

Yeah Moreno's performance on the field last season and his conduct in the locker room was akin to being shot or HANGED. Rolling Eyes
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

Yeah Moreno's performance on the field last season and his conduct in the locker room was akin to being shot or HANGED. Rolling Eyes
Actually if you'd read my post properly I was using that analogy to attack the notion that Moreno is better than McGahee on third down. I was making the point that both are terrible. Ronnie Hillman ought to see the third down duty.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

Actually if you'd read my post properly I was using that analogy to attack the notion that Moreno is better than McGahee on third down. I was making the point that both are terrible. Ronnie Hillman ought to see the third down duty.
Except neither was bad on 3rd down so you still used a terrible analogy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

Except neither was bad on 3rd down so you still used a terrible analogy.

+1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: