Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos release RB Willis McGahee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5129
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
My guess is that it came between McGahee as a third string/backup or try to latch on to another team. Broncos cut him now to give him time to find another place.

They didn't cut him because he missed voluntary workouts. I would question your sources AAA. Eventually common sense has to kick in.


I'm thinkin' AAA is absolutely right on this one. Granted, it's not the only reason but........

Elway has often spoken about creating a culture, strong locker room, etc. His actions support that. Willis was the only significant no-show (Clady NIC) in voluntaries. PM, Ball and Hillman at the same time have been not only there, but putting in extra time after practice along with others. Work ethic and commitment has been touted regarding Wolfe, Von, Williams, and many others including our new FA's.

Willis has not shown the desire to make that commitment. Right or wrong, Elways message is strong and consistent. Also, it's a pretty classy thing to do. releasing him this early virtually assures him of a roster spot somewhere.

Keep in mind, he was not the future here and would have been relegated to 3rd string duty if he survived the cut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe_is_the_best


Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 6749
Location: Houston
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:
My guess is that it came between McGahee as a third string/backup or try to latch on to another team. Broncos cut him now to give him time to find another place.

They didn't cut him because he missed voluntary workouts. I would question your sources AAA. Eventually common sense has to kick in.


I'm thinkin' AAA is absolutely right on this one. Granted, it's not the only reason but........

Elway has often spoken about creating a culture, strong locker room, etc. His actions support that. Willis was the only significant no-show (Clady NIC) in voluntaries. PM, Ball and Hillman at the same time have been not only there, but putting in extra time after practice along with others. Work ethic and commitment has been touted regarding Wolfe, Von, Williams, and many others including our new FA's.

Willis has not shown the desire to make that commitment. Right or wrong, Elways message is strong and consistent. Also, it's a pretty classy thing to do. releasing him this early virtually assures him of a roster spot somewhere.

Keep in mind, he was not the future here and would have been relegated to 3rd string duty if he survived the cut.
To me that's exactly why he was cut. He was falling on the depth chart. Not going to voluntaries may have indirectly led to his cut, but to be the sole reason? I don't think that's realistic.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2475
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if past offseasons have proven that McGahee's no-shows until mandatory training do not cause a drop-off in performance and fitness, this year - especially after the Ravens loss and continued sense of urgeny - it was the wrong message and wrong impression given. That, and age, diminished ability and Ball/Hillman.
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5129
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:
My guess is that it came between McGahee as a third string/backup or try to latch on to another team. Broncos cut him now to give him time to find another place.

They didn't cut him because he missed voluntary workouts. I would question your sources AAA. Eventually common sense has to kick in.


I'm thinkin' AAA is absolutely right on this one. Granted, it's not the only reason but........

Elway has often spoken about creating a culture, strong locker room, etc. His actions support that. Willis was the only significant no-show (Clady NIC) in voluntaries. PM, Ball and Hillman at the same time have been not only there, but putting in extra time after practice along with others. Work ethic and commitment has been touted regarding Wolfe, Von, Williams, and many others including our new FA's.

Willis has not shown the desire to make that commitment. Right or wrong, Elways message is strong and consistent. Also, it's a pretty classy thing to do. releasing him this early virtually assures him of a roster spot somewhere.

Keep in mind, he was not the future here and would have been relegated to 3rd string duty if he survived the cut.
To me that's exactly why he was cut. He was falling on the depth chart. Not going to voluntaries may have indirectly led to his cut, but to be the sole reason? I don't think that's realistic.


I think we agree here. It was definitely not the only reason, more like the final nail in the coffin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsthomp2007


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 7335
Location: USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they still have Lance Ball.
_________________
Ninja stealth muggers in the Bellagio has left me in a state of congitive disonance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ACrum


Joined: 04 Nov 2007
Posts: 3732
Location: Rock Chalk Broncos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved his short stay as a Bronco. I sincerely wished he would've retired a Bronco. He just had that grit and every down effort that you want in a RB and as a Bronco. I'm really sad to see him go but it makes sense for the team. Hopefully Ball will pan out better then Moreno.

/Salute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
elliot878


Moderator
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 10717
Location: Connecticut
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong hoping we'd keep the more talented back, but we went younger and cheaper. Snatch up Montee Ball in your fantasy drafts fellas, no one will compete with him for the larger work load. Moreno's solid for 3rd back on the depth chart, I suspect the camp battle between him and Lance Ball for the 3rd back will be interesting. Loser could be cut.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1769
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Many around here expected this. Hes injury and fumble prone, plus the Broncos want to get younger.

Its now on Ball, Hillman and Knowshon to carry the load. Knowshon is also now the best pass pro back we have.
Knowshon isn't a lock to make the team either, coming off of an injury he has a lot to prove.


I disagree. Barring injury, Knoshown is now a lock to make the team. We need experience back there and he is better than Lance Ball.
1. Ball
2. Hillman
3. Moreno
4. Hester

We cut Lance Ball and CJ is on the practice squad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Winder23


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4259
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Many around here expected this. Hes injury and fumble prone, plus the Broncos want to get younger.

Its now on Ball, Hillman and Knowshon to carry the load. Knowshon is also now the best pass pro back we have.
Knowshon isn't a lock to make the team either, coming off of an injury he has a lot to prove.


I disagree. Barring injury, Knoshown is now a lock to make the team. We need experience back there and he is better than Lance Ball.
1. Ball
2. Hillman
3. Moreno
4. Hester

We cut Lance Ball and CJ is on the practice squad.
The only locks I see are M. Ball, Hillman, and Hester. Those three will be our primary contributors this year. After that, you have to factor special teams into the equation. That is a definite knock against Moreno in this situation. To me the last spot will come down to L Ball, J Johnson, and my darkhorse, CJ Anderson. Also we can't discount another competitor to the mix as others have suggested.
_________________
GO BRONCOS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1769
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont buy in to the idea of a veteran addition. I only see this if there is an injury. Why would we eat 1 million in dead money over two seasons and then add another 1 million (at the very least) to sign a veteran back? Doesn't make much sense to me. Would have been better just keeping Willis if that were the case.

I think we go with the young guys in camp. Knowshown didn't play special teams last year and he made the team with McGahee on the roster. This year McGahee is not around and I think Moreno is certain to make the team outside of a serious injury.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8278
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Many around here expected this. Hes injury and fumble prone, plus the Broncos want to get younger.

Its now on Ball, Hillman and Knowshon to carry the load. Knowshon is also now the best pass pro back we have.
Knowshon isn't a lock to make the team either, coming off of an injury he has a lot to prove.


I disagree. Barring injury, Knoshown is now a lock to make the team. We need experience back there and he is better than Lance Ball.
1. Ball
2. Hillman
3. Moreno
4. Hester

We cut Lance Ball and CJ is on the practice squad.
The only locks I see are M. Ball, Hillman, and Hester. Those three will be our primary contributors this year. After that, you have to factor special teams into the equation. That is a definite knock against Moreno in this situation. To me the last spot will come down to L Ball, J Johnson, and my darkhorse, CJ Anderson. Also we can't discount another competitor to the mix as others have suggested.

I have to ask.... why is Hester a "lock"? Hes very far from considered a lock on this team if you ask me. I think he makes it but definitely not a lock. Ball and Hillman are locks at the running back position, no one else.

If you ask me, Knowshon is absolutely making this team, unless he suffers an injury in camp. Theres no way he gets cut over Ball, Johnson or Anderson. Ever.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Winder23


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4259
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Many around here expected this. Hes injury and fumble prone, plus the Broncos want to get younger.

Its now on Ball, Hillman and Knowshon to carry the load. Knowshon is also now the best pass pro back we have.
Knowshon isn't a lock to make the team either, coming off of an injury he has a lot to prove.


I disagree. Barring injury, Knoshown is now a lock to make the team. We need experience back there and he is better than Lance Ball.
1. Ball
2. Hillman
3. Moreno
4. Hester

We cut Lance Ball and CJ is on the practice squad.
The only locks I see are M. Ball, Hillman, and Hester. Those three will be our primary contributors this year. After that, you have to factor special teams into the equation. That is a definite knock against Moreno in this situation. To me the last spot will come down to L Ball, J Johnson, and my darkhorse, CJ Anderson. Also we can't discount another competitor to the mix as others have suggested.

I have to ask.... why is Hester a "lock"? Hes very far from considered a lock on this team if you ask me. I think he makes it but definitely not a lock. Ball and Hillman are locks at the running back position, no one else.

If you ask me, Knowshon is absolutely making this team, unless he suffers an injury in camp. Theres no way he gets cut over Ball, Johnson or Anderson. Ever.
Hester is a lock for a couple reasons. His versatility is something Gase has talked about alot this offseason. He does a good if not great job on punt protection and kickoff coverage. He is the only back on the roster who can do the things he does.

As for Moreno I don't see what value he brings to the roster. He did a decent job last year after McGahee went down, but he is hardly an asset as a third or fourth option. As I said earlier, the 3rd and 4th RB positions need to contribute on special teams.
_________________
GO BRONCOS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FabrizioHC


Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not rule anyone out outside of Ball and Hillman who are the only locks to make the roster.

To us, Moreno has the upper hand right now. However, we know how much Fox loves Lance Ball, and we've heard Gase praise Hester left and right. This is JJ's last year as a PS player as well. If he doesn't make the roster, he's gonna have to find a job elsewhere, which might light a fire under him. CJ Anderson is a hungry rookie, so he's gonna leave it all out there, his PS elegible to his advantage though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thebestever6


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2187
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I mean when Tebow was in town I loved Willis because he helped the ground game and he also helped win me a madden tournament. That aside that team had no shot at a Super bowl. I just don't trust Willis in a big game carrying the rock. The Pats game last year comes too mind not only did he drop a crucial 3rd down pass he also had a crucial fumble. He can produce though I envision him on a team as the Jets someone that can stabilize the ground game.
_________________
Props to Deadpulse for the Sig:

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8278
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Many around here expected this. Hes injury and fumble prone, plus the Broncos want to get younger.

Its now on Ball, Hillman and Knowshon to carry the load. Knowshon is also now the best pass pro back we have.
Knowshon isn't a lock to make the team either, coming off of an injury he has a lot to prove.


I disagree. Barring injury, Knoshown is now a lock to make the team. We need experience back there and he is better than Lance Ball.
1. Ball
2. Hillman
3. Moreno
4. Hester

We cut Lance Ball and CJ is on the practice squad.
The only locks I see are M. Ball, Hillman, and Hester. Those three will be our primary contributors this year. After that, you have to factor special teams into the equation. That is a definite knock against Moreno in this situation. To me the last spot will come down to L Ball, J Johnson, and my darkhorse, CJ Anderson. Also we can't discount another competitor to the mix as others have suggested.

I have to ask.... why is Hester a "lock"? Hes very far from considered a lock on this team if you ask me. I think he makes it but definitely not a lock. Ball and Hillman are locks at the running back position, no one else.

If you ask me, Knowshon is absolutely making this team, unless he suffers an injury in camp. Theres no way he gets cut over Ball, Johnson or Anderson. Ever.
Hester is a lock for a couple reasons. His versatility is something Gase has talked about alot this offseason. He does a good if not great job on punt protection and kickoff coverage. He is the only back on the roster who can do the things he does.

As for Moreno I don't see what value he brings to the roster. He did a decent job last year after McGahee went down, but he is hardly an asset as a third or fourth option. As I said earlier, the 3rd and 4th RB positions need to contribute on special teams.

I think youre being a little too crazy about this special team thing. The Broncos have plenty of players to play special teams. Think about the young depth they have at LB, CB, S, TE and WR. Plus, NFL teams are not using RB's on special teams as much. Special Teams isnt the deciding factor.

Knowshon is the only experienced RB left on the roster and the only one proven to handle pass pro on a consistent basis. To say hes "not an asset as a 3rd or 4th option" is so wrong. Not many teams can say they have that type of a 3rd option. Remember, he was a very good spot starter last year, thats what you want in a backup.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group