Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gay to play outside in nickel, Allen in slot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Gay to play outside in nickel, Allen in slot Reply with quote

Steelers CB William Gay will play outside in nickel packages.
Gay was repeatedly burned in Arizona playing outside, so it was widely assumed he'd move back to his former role as a slot corner in Pittsburgh. Secondary coach Carnell Lake is intent on keeping him outside, while sliding Cortez Allen into the slot. Jun 12 - 6:43 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4319/william-gay

This isn't new news, but it raises some questions. I've seen a lot of people assume the opposite.

I can't help but think this has a lot to do with the make-up of the division and conference as a whole. The best teams in the AFC lack WR depth, but there are a lot of good TE's and some good running games. Against the Bengals, Ravens, Patriots and Texans, this seems like the better plan. Allen has done a good job on the big hybrid TE's in the past, and he is a more physical guy inside to play the run. I don't see too many teams that have dangerous #2 WR's in the AFC.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's to be expected but damn if I'm not prying hard for Curtis Brown to beat out Gay for that 3rd cb spot!!! Pray Pray Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely hoping Brown steps up and really 'turns the corner' this year. I'd like to see him beat out William Gay. If Gay doesn't play well and Brown can't beat him out, I suspect they'll BOTH be gone this time next year.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Allen is slot, then who is playing #2?

"Who does #2 work for!!???"

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen matches up extremely well with the bigger inside possession guys and TE's such as Gronk. I really wish we would've taken more secondary in this draft, there were so many options available throughout that I believe could contribute soon.

...you have a forum resume?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Allen matches up extremely well with the bigger inside possession guys and TE's such as Gronk. I really wish we would've taken more secondary in this draft, there were so many options available throughout that I believe could contribute soon.

I know that the Steelers have a thing for long, fast and lean CBs. So that took Jordan Poyer off their board (assuming) I really believe he's going to be like Cortland Finnegan.

Terry Hawthorne looks like he has some early potential when he comes back from injury. He had a very good Jr season, but a down Sr yr. He's physical, fast and a willing tackler in the Steelers defense he fits fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:

Well, I was wondering that too. Am I left to assume that Gay is going to be our #2 CB? If that's the case it shows a serious lack of confidence imo in Allen and that worries me.

Maybe I'm misreading something here, but it says "Lake is intent on keeping him outside" Isn't the "outside guy" the #2 Cornerback??? or am I misenvisioning this in my head? The Starting Corners...play on the corners. So, if you're keeping him outside, that suggests he's going to start. If that's the suggestion he's making....OMG we're in trouble...

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Dcash4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
stillersenat wrote:

Well, I was wondering that too. Am I left to assume that Gay is going to be our #2 CB? If that's the case it shows a serious lack of confidence imo in Allen and that worries me.

Maybe I'm misreading something here, but it says "Lake is intent on keeping him outside" Isn't the "outside guy" the #2 Cornerback??? or am I misenvisioning this in my head? The Starting Corners...play on the corners. So, if you're keeping him outside, that suggests he's going to start. If that's the suggestion he's making....OMG we're in trouble...

Where you line up in three Corner sets is irrelevant to who the number 2 corner is. The guy who lines up with only two corners on the field, which will be Allen, is who the #2 CB is.

JPN already said this, but Allen matches up so well with slot guys. Quick enough to cover slot receivers, big enough to cover bigger targets like tight ends. He is a great match up.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it might be more of a concern toward pass coverage within our linebackers. I really have no complain with this move, I only see Gay holding down the spot until next season where safeties can step in (Robert Golden or Shamarko Thomas) also i'd like to see Curtis Brown improve this season but the fact Josh Victorian showed more and not by that much i'd say Curtis Brown's project as a nickel cornerback is bust.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Or it might be more of a concern toward pass coverage within our linebackers. I really have no complain with this move, I only see Gay holding down the spot until next season where safeties can step in (Robert Golden or Shamarko Thomas) also i'd like to see Curtis Brown improve this season but the fact Josh Victorian showed more and not by that much i'd say Curtis Brown's project as a nickel cornerback is bust.

That's a guy I'm actually really interested to see more of. I know he didnt exactly play great, but for a guy that was never supposed to even sniff the field, let alone dress with the actual team on Sundays, i thought Victorian showed a lot during his brief playing time.

Against Dallas, i thought he gave up a lot of catches - but for a practice squad guy lining up across from Miles Austin, he always seemed to be around when the ball got there.

Not in anyway saying he is any part of the future, but i am interested to see his growth over the course of the off-season and to see if he can try to push Curtis Brown off the roster.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

I know that the Steelers have a thing for long, fast and lean CBs. So that took Jordan Poyer off their board (assuming) I really believe he's going to be like Cortland Finnegan.

Terry Hawthorne looks like he has some early potential when he comes back from injury. He had a very good Jr season, but a down Sr yr. He's physical, fast and a willing tackler in the Steelers defense he fits fine.

Hawthorne had more than enough disappointing moments his junior year as well. Hopefully Lake can manipulate his physical capabilities by teaching him how to play and getting the most out of him. Regardless there was a lot of talent at the position and taking 3 DB's in the draft would've been just fine with me.

...you have a forum resume?
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcash4 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
stillersenat wrote:

Where you line up in three Corner sets is irrelevant to who the number 2 corner is. The guy who lines up with only two corners on the field, which will be Allen, is who the #2 CB is.

JPN already said this, but Allen matches up so well with slot guys. Quick enough to cover slot receivers, big enough to cover bigger targets like tight ends. He is a great match up.
Exactly, I'm not worried about Allen not starting. He's clearly the teams 2nd best cb. I still have hopes that Curtis Brown reaches his potential this year and beats out Gay to be the Nickle cb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: