Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Even though I hate PFF... They gave Tate some love, so....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tooki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
SoS wrote:
Depending on how Tate and Rice perform, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team cut or restructure Rice to make room for Tate. If it was up to me I think I'd rather have Harvin/Tate/Harper for less money than keeping Harvin/Rice/Harper for more money.

I'd rather have Sidney Rice and Golden Tate than Harvin. Would be cheaper as well. Not that Harvin even plays either of their positions. And at the slot, Baldwin is in my opinion can be one of the better ones in the league. He's not an after the catch guy like Harvin, but Harvin is not running better routes than Baldwin. I've already said this before, but paying for Harvin, an unnecessary luxury, will force the Hawks to sacrifice some players on defense or offense.

It annoys me that some fans that can barely see in front of themselves can't fathom the realities of a salary cap league.

I don't know how reliable this website is but according to:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/sidney-rice/

Sidney Rice has a cap hit of 9.7 million in 2013 and 2014 and a cap hit of 10.2 million in 2015, along with the fact that if both Tate and Harper develop (at a cheaper price) and end up contributing more than Sidney, he could be gone.

In the reality of a salary cap league, Sidney Rice might be off of this team.
silus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Don't know if you're indirectly referring to me, but pretty much everything I've said on the matter has had future salary implications in mind Laughing

And just to be clear, I don't think Pete gives a damn about having multiple big receivers. He wants a physical, efficient football team. Wanna know a fun stat? Seattle was 30th in the league in yards after the catch. Another fun stat? Percy Harvin was BY FAR the league leader in yards after catch during his 9 game span in 2012 and finished 5th for the season despite playing in half the games.

The team's goal is clear. They want to be more physical than their opponent. They want to grind you down until you don't even want to tackle them anymore. They want to attack you with a RB that refuses to go down, and when you've had enough of that, they want to attack you with a pair of receivers (Harvin/Tate) that refuse to go down, as evidence by their league leading broken tackles in 2012.

You wanna know what annoys me? The fact that some fans can sit and scrutinize the moves this FO makes after rapidly turning this franchise from a pile of garbage into a legit Superbowl contender in 3 short years. They clearly have a vision for the type of football team they want to build, and I think it's really stubborn to suggest that their vision is wrong.

A vision cannot be simplified into one specific aquisition. But if you truly believe that you basically can never voice concerns about anything, ever. I doubt you live up to that standard.

But back to the point, we have the Legion of Boom to sign. As a fan I want to keep that secondary together at all costs. You don't give contracts like that without someone being the odd man out. If you are a fan of a lot of these players you have to be nervous. :shrug
SoS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor did I intend to imply that their vision was simplified over one acquisition, Percy Harvin is simply the most recent of those acquisitions. This dates back as early as our trade for Marshawn Lynch. The draft selections of guys like Golden Tate, Robert Turbin, and Christine Michael further prove my point. Hiring Tom Cable, a man known for his power ZBS, is another shred of proof to what the vision of this team is. Starting a guy like Breno, known for his nasty mean streak and run blocking above all else, is further proof. Zach Miller, perhaps the best blocking TE in the league today, is further proof that they want a smash-mouth team. If you think my basis for their vision was simplified and narrowed down to the Harvin trade, you haven't been paying attention to what this team has been doing since Pete and John have been here.

And I'm not trying to say that every move this FO makes should be looked at with lollipops and rainbows, but Schneider has flipped this team from a 5-11 dumpster fire roster to a perennial Superbowl contending 11-5 team in 3 short seasons. He hasn't been perfect in every roster move he's made, but what GM is? The thing is, he's been right in the majority of his decisions. Until that changes, I'm not going to be overly skeptical of any move he makes. It's like you're not even opening yourself up to seeing how great of an acquisition Harvin will be for this team. A team that ranked 30th in yards after catch last season. Will I question certain moves? Absolutely, it's the nature of being a fan. But with that said, I'll always try to look at it from Pete and John's perspective and see why they made that move. They clearly know football and they clearly know what they want this team to be, so how can I be overly critical of that?

And I think all of us would love to see the LoB stay intact. This front office is actually starting to form a pretty clear path of what they plan to do in the upcoming years. We'll have money freed up with contracts coming off of the books in coming years. I hope the front office realizes that Brandon Browner is not a priority. I hope they realize that Marshawn Lynch will not be a priority after his contract is up. Earl and Sherman will get paid. The Russ's are gonna get paid. Zach Miller and Sidney Rice will likely be released or restructured. The NFL's new TV deal should give us more money to play with.

Until the front office gives me reason to be nervous and we actually see one of these elite players walk, I'm not going to worry.
imani

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

You wanna know what annoys me? The fact that some fans can sit and scrutinize the moves this FO makes after rapidly turning this franchise from a pile of garbage into a legit Superbowl contender in 3 short years. They clearly have a vision for the type of football team they want to build, and I think it's really stubborn to suggest that their vision is wrong.

Right? The things that have gone well are gargantuan in comparison to the blunders

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: