Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Even though I hate PFF... They gave Tate some love, so....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubmember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Even though I hate PFF... They gave Tate some love, so.... Reply with quote

HERE'S the article: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/06/11/secret-superstar-golden-tate/

Why'll I don't like their grading crap, I'm perfectly fine with their other stats, like Broken Tackles, Yards after Catch, ect....

Quote:
He didn’t drop a single pass in 2011, and totaled 13 missed tackles on 35 receptions. In fact, his average of a missed tackle every 2.69 receptions in 2011 was the best rate of any NFL receiver with more than five catches. After two seasons as a pro, the potential was there for Tate, but the production had yet to follow.

Quote:
For the rest of the season, Wilson continued to deliver the ball to Tate, no matter how covered he appeared. With 9:17 left in a Week 6 game against the New England Patriots, Devin McCourty blanketed Tate’s post route. Yet moments later, it was Tate coming down with the 51-yard reception while McCourty was draped on his back. In Week 10, New York Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson was running step-for-step down the sideline with Tate, but was left flailing as the receiver out-jumped him for the catch and shuffled into the end zone. Two weeks later, R.J. Stanford was in perfect position for an interception, but Tate dove over him and caught the 32-yard pass while laying on top of the Miami Dolphins cornerback.

Tate is not what many envision when they think of a deep threat, but that’s what he became with Wilson last season. After catching just three Deep Passes in his first two seasons, Tate tripled that number in 2012. His 343 yards on deep targets were among the Top 20 totals in the NFL, ahead of Andre Johnson and right behind Roddy White. While he couldn’t outrun many cornerbacks or outleap many safeties, the aggressive approach that Tate showed on that touchdown against Green Bay established a trust from his quarterback befitting of a No. 1 receiver.

Quote:
You may think that these risky passes would have caught up to Wilson at some point, but that was not the case. With a 69.2% completion rate, seven touchdowns, and one interception on his throws to Tate, the duo’s 133.0 WR Rating was the second-highest in the NFL for any QB-WR tandem with over 20 targets. And as further signs of the chemistry between the two, Tate’s 114 receiving yards on quarterback scramble plays was the fourth-highest total of any wideout in the league.

I KNEW that Tate was a reliable receiver once Russell started scrambling. I just KNEW it Cool

I don't really trust the WR-QB rating stat of theirs though......

Quote:
With the increased opportunities that Wilson afforded him, Tate had even more chances to show off his good hands and open-field elusiveness. His Drop Rate was once again one of the lowest in the league, and his 21 missed tackles at his position (including the postseason) were second only to new teammate Percy Harvin. With 52 seconds left in the first half against the Minnesota Vikings in Week 9, he dodged three defenders on a screen pass before leaping in the end zone. In Week 13, four Chicago Bears defenders got a hand on Tate before he lunged across the goal line with the go-ahead touchdown. And with 3:19 left in the season finale against the St. Louis Rams, Tate earned a whopping three missed tackles one play alone to help set up the game-winning touchdown.

Quote:
Thanks to his newfound chemistry with Wilson, Tate’s days of battling for playing time or struggling in the slot seem to be over. He led the Seahawks receivers in receptions, yards, and snaps played after the bye week, and finished 2012 with a positive grade in nine of his last 10 games. Valiant even in defeat, Tate tallied six catches, 103 yards, four missed tackles, and a touchdown in the Seahawks’ Divisional Round loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

Ignore the positive grade crap, that is BS. Still, Tate balled out after week 10. I expect that to continue into the next season Smile

#JDI
SoS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff clubmember. Really hoping Tate and Wilson can keep that going next year. It'd put us in a tough spot next offseason but Tate's a great player and should be able to perform with some of the better receivers in the league. I don't disagree with your notion that he's better than Decker, by the way, but that wasn't the time nor place to bring it up. The bulk numbers just aren't in his favor yet, and that's what the casual fan is going to look at.
clubmember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Great stuff clubmember. Really hoping Tate and Wilson can keep that going next year. It'd put us in a tough spot next offseason but Tate's a great player and should be able to perform with some of the better receivers in the league. I don't disagree with your notion that he's better than Decker, by the way, but that wasn't the time nor place to bring it up. The bulk numbers just aren't in his favor yet, and that's what the casual fan is going to look at.

Yeah, its alright. He's still more potential than a proven commodity, but I love him and feel like he's gonna breakout next year anyways. One of my favorite Hawks when the balls in his hands, makes me excited to watch him next year just thinking about him.

#JDI
SoS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clubmember wrote:
SoS wrote:

Yeah, its alright. He's still more potential than a proven commodity, but I love him and feel like he's gonna breakout next year anyways. One of my favorite Hawks when the balls in his hands, makes me excited to watch him next year just thinking about him.

I hear ya.
hawkman98272

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just imagine all the YAC that we'll have with Tate and Harvin. They both make so many guys miss, that it should be fun watching them this year.

IDOG_det

#JDI
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Even though I hate PFF... They gave Tate some love, so.. Reply with quote

clubmember wrote:
Quote:
You may think that these risky passes would have caught up to Wilson at some point, but that was not the case. With a 69.2% completion rate, seven touchdowns, and one interception on his throws to Tate, the duo’s 133.0 WR Rating was the second-highest in the NFL for any QB-WR tandem with over 20 targets. And as further signs of the chemistry between the two, Tate’s 114 receiving yards on quarterback scramble plays was the fourth-highest total of any wideout in the league.

I KNEW that Tate was a reliable receiver once Russell started scrambling. I just KNEW it Cool
I would say this. Just because Wilson is scrambling doesn't mean Tate isn't running the assigned route. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
silus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't feel like Tate is going to be resigned. Which sucks. I could see the Steelers going after him hard. He already mentioned he models his game after Hines Ward.
C-Hawkin'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda depends on Harper, don't you think? Paired with Rice & with Harvin in the slot that's a receiving corps that would strike fear in the hearts of DB's- assuming Harper develops into what they expect. And Baldwin's still in the mix somewhere too, so Tate may be expendable no matter how much we all like him. Mabe not, tho- this FO thinks outside the box, so...
SoS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how Tate and Rice perform, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team cut or restructure Rice to make room for Tate. If it was up to me I think I'd rather have Harvin/Tate/Harper for less money than keeping Harvin/Rice/Harper for more money.
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tate-Wilson connection is difficult to ignore as well. If Chris Harper does pan out, I think that Sidney Rice is the odd man out. Luke Willson may make that even more profound.

Tate is a willing run blocker and Harper has the size to be even better so it may come down to that as well.
clubmember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Depending on how Tate and Rice perform, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team cut or restructure Rice to make room for Tate. If it was up to me I think I'd rather have Harvin/Tate/Harper for less money than keeping Harvin/Rice/Harper for more money.

Gotta save money somewhere, great point SOS.

#JDI
C-Hawkin'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason I'd question the Tate/Harper/Harvin trio vs T/H/Rice is PC's love for big WR's. Seems like all things considered he'd rather have 2 than 1, but the main thing to consider may well come down to $$.
Tooki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Hawkin' wrote:
Only reason I'd question the Tate/Harper/Harvin trio vs T/H/Rice is PC's love for big WR's. Seems like all things considered he'd rather have 2 than 1, but the main thing to consider may well come down to $$.

Harper seems to play more like BMW and Percy plays big (as well as Golden)

If Luke Wilson pans out, he will get a ton of reps as well.
silus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

I'd rather have Sidney Rice and Golden Tate than Harvin. Would be cheaper as well. Not that Harvin even plays either of their positions. And at the slot, Baldwin is in my opinion can be one of the better ones in the league. He's not an after the catch guy like Harvin, but Harvin is not running better routes than Baldwin. I've already said this before, but paying for Harvin, an unnecessary luxury, will force the Hawks to sacrifice some players on defense or offense.

It annoys me that some fans that can barely see in front of themselves can't fathom the realities of a salary cap league.
SoS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you're indirectly referring to me, but pretty much everything I've said on the matter has had future salary implications in mind Laughing

And just to be clear, I don't think Pete gives a damn about having multiple big receivers. He wants a physical, efficient football team. Wanna know a fun stat? Seattle was 30th in the league in yards after the catch. Another fun stat? Percy Harvin was BY FAR the league leader in yards after catch during his 9 game span in 2012 and finished 5th for the season despite playing in half the games.

The team's goal is clear. They want to be more physical than their opponent. They want to grind you down until you don't even want to tackle them anymore. They want to attack you with a RB that refuses to go down, and when you've had enough of that, they want to attack you with a pair of receivers (Harvin/Tate) that refuse to go down, as evidence by their league leading broken tackles in 2012.

You wanna know what annoys me? The fact that some fans can sit and scrutinize the moves this FO makes after rapidly turning this franchise from a pile of garbage into a legit Superbowl contender in 3 short years. They clearly have a vision for the type of football team they want to build, and I think it's really stubborn to suggest that their vision is wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: