Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UPDATE: Packers Cut Bishop, Signs with Vikings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our goal was to be more more physical of a team and we cut one of our most physical players Confused

Oh well. In Ted I trust.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Bishop says playing Rodgers part of motivation to sign with Vikes. OMG Traitor he's dead to me /sarcasm.

Somebody should tell him to be careful what you wish for. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
Our goal was to be more more physical of a team and we cut one of our most physical players Confused

Oh well. In Ted I trust.

He may have been a physical player but I would think speed would be a better goal in 2013. We have to stop the likes of AP, Bush, Megatron, Marshall and those 2 teams out west. Any speed Bishop had may have diminished because of that injury.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope it's the right move. We let Cullen Jenkins go at a time when a lot of us thought it was a good move, but it seemed a large part of our pass rush disappeared without him. And I know he was a freelancer, not assignment sure, but we haven't replaced him until this year with someone like Datone. He turned out to be a big loss that I don't think many of us expected.

(And yes, I know Neal was the successor, but he isn't at that level yet.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
I just hope it's the right move. We let Cullen Jenkins go at a time when a lot of us thought it was a good move, but it seemed a large part of our pass rush disappeared without him. And I know he was a freelancer, not assignment sure, but we haven't replaced him until this year with someone like Datone. He turned out to be a big loss that I don't think many of us expected.

but jenkins didn't do much after he left...

Neal had more sacks than Jenkins did last season in 11 games vs 16 for Jenkins.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:
Our goal was to be more more physical of a team and we cut one of our most physical players :?

Oh well. In Ted I trust.

He may have been a physical player but I would think speed would be a better goal in 2013. We have to stop the likes of AP, Bush, Megatron, Marshall and those 2 teams out west. Any speed Bishop had may have diminished because of that injury.

Very much this. Being physical doesn't help much if your other attributes aren't good enough to get you on the field.

I wouldn't necessarily characterize Bishop as especially physical, he's fiery and intense, but I wouldn't say he's especially physical.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a blessing in disguise for one of our younger guys to step up and get some playing time and shine. It will be interesting to see what Hawk and Jones can do together, I think they compliment each well. But I think if a guy like Terrell Manning could get some time on the field; he could surprise. He's an athletic, versatile LB who can be a 3down LBer on our system. It will be interesting to see how our ILB situation plays out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
This could be a blessing in disguise for one of our younger guys to step up and get some playing time and shine. It will be interesting to see what Hawk and Jones can do together, I think they compliment each well. But I think if a guy like Terrell Manning could get some time on the field; he could surprise. He's an athletic, versatile LB who can be a 3down LBer on our system. It will be interesting to see how our ILB situation plays out.

The simple fact is Bishop was too much of an injury risk and he would not accept a pay cut, so now he signs for less money with the Vikings. Add to that, Brad Jones is simply a much better ILB than Desmond Bishop, so we have the reasons why Bishop is now a Viking. Jones is heads above Bishop as a cover LB and was rated one of the top free agent LB's this off season. He has star potential. Best of luck to Desmond Bishop.
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Frank-O wrote:

The simple fact is Bishop was too much of an injury risk and he would not accept a pay cut, so now he signs for less money with the Vikings. Add to that, Brad Jones is simply a much better ILB than Desmond Bishop, so we have the reasons why Bishop is now a Viking. Jones is heads above Bishop as a cover LB and was rated one of the top free agent LB's this off season. He has star potential. Best of luck to Desmond Bishop.

I thought it was reported that he wasn't even offered a role at a reduced salary. Maybe I'm mistaken.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:

I think the big difference with the Cullen Jenkins situation and this is we have a larger body of work to go off of. Neal had only played in 2 games his rookie year and then was expected to take over for Jenkins. Jones has been on the team for 4 years and started the majority of this season at ILB. We have a better feel of what we can expect from Jones than Neal when he was suppose to take over.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Frank-O wrote:

I thought it was reported that he wasn't even offered a role at a reduced salary. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Quote:
Bishop told Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com that the Packers never talked about him taking a pay cut and only considered either trading or releasing him.
Straight from the horse mouth. Packers didnt want him to be a member of our football team.

Kempes on the custom sig!
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Bishops injury completely remove him from our roster by itself? Me thinks so.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Did Bishops injury completely remove him from our roster by itself? Me thinks so.

I don't. I think that even "100%" healthy there was a good chance he didn't make the final 53. I could easily see Jones and Manning ahead of him. Francois backing up Hawk and playing ST. Lattimore staying for his play on ST. Bishop odd man out. Not a far fetched scenario in my eyes without considering health or salary.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:

I don't. I think that even "100%" healthy there was a good chance he didn't make the final 53. I could easily see Jones and Manning ahead of him. Francois backing up Hawk and playing ST. Lattimore staying for his play on ST. Bishop odd man out. Not a far fetched scenario in my eyes without considering health or salary.

I think it depends on where on the injury timeline you are looking. If you are looking at it when it happened, then I would say the injury cost him his spot. Had Bishop not been injured last year he would have presumably started the whole season next to Hawk. Jones would not have been in the starting lineup and would not have shown the staff he is a viable starter next to Hawk.

However, if you are looking at it at the end of the year during his recovery/rehab I would say no for the reasons stated by Wgbeethree.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Frank-O wrote:

I really like Brad Jones, but star potential? I don't know about that. NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis are stars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: