Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UPDATE: Packers Cut Bishop, Signs with Vikings
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: Packers Cut Bishop, Signs with Vikings Reply with quote

Quote:
@jasonjwilde: According to #NFL source, barring a contract restructure or trade, #Packers will be parting ways with ILB Desmond Bishop (@Desbishop55).

^^@jasonjwilde

All I can say is that ill be furious if its about the money and not medical related. If Ted is just trying to save money with this move ill strongly disagree. Don't get the sense behind pushing our best ILB out the door.

Kempes on the custom sig!
McThreadski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine doing this right now unless he looked bad in the medical facility. My guess is that he's no where near the same guy he used to be and the Pack are doing him a favor by letting him go now.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's medical I get it. If it's money.... Eh I wouldn't be real happy. I don't see any real depth behind Hawk and Jones. Tough to lose a solid player.
packfan4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McThreadski wrote:
I can't imagine doing this right now unless he looked bad in the medical facility. My guess is that he's no where near the same guy he used to be and the Pack are doing him a favor by letting him go now.

This HAS to be the case because there is no way in hell we would let Bishop walk otherwise. Could make a case for him being the 2nd best player on our Defense, Brad Jones has some mighty shoes to fill, hope he's up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wth why? I'd be sad...
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's depressing. Hopefully Manning/Jones work out well inside. Jones played well last year, but depth is always needed.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
packfan4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty crazy that Nick Collins, Bishop, & Woodson are all gone 3 years after the SB win.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously if it is medical I understand, but I can see if it is money too. The staff just shelled out money to Jones and restructured Hawk in a way that guaranteed his spot. Plus the staff might feel that Jones and Hawk complement each other better and make the defense better, not that I would agree with that completely, but I can see a scenario that has them believing they are the best tandem moving forward. I think our depth at the position is being undervalued too. Manning is a guy the staff traded up for, Francois played solid when called upon, Lattimore had been more ST and is unknown, and we drafted Barrington. It may not be the deepest position, but one that I think is solid. Saving three million plus allows us to have more cap to absorb the two big contracts we gave out to Rodgers and Matthews, plus give us more space for guys like Shields, Raji, Finley...

Personally, I like Bishop and think he is one of the few tone setters we have on defense and I would rather see him stay, but I can see the monetary point of view. Only thing that makes me think it is more medical is that he is still young, on a favorable, and has been a good defender, which makes him a good trade candidate. An out right release, to me, would signify more medical than money.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfan4 wrote:
Pretty crazy that Nick Collins, Bishop, & Woodson are all gone 3 years after the SB win.

Imagine how Baltimore feels... Laughing ... new team on D almost.
SDN40

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it does say barring re-structure, so if that's accurate, then its not medical. On a defense sorely needing playmakers, I am perplexed. We already have one ILB not making plays, so cutting the one guy with potential in that area is crazy.

I know Capers has said that he likes Jones, but this is perplexing. I think Manning is another Jones, so we are back to looking for a tone-setter up the middle.

I know that I am in the minority on this but we are getting rid of the wrong guy IMO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stupid IMO. Why let go our most physical force on D who also adds great pass rush up the middle? Its not like he has a huge cap number. We are not really deep at ILB either. Makes no sense and just weakens an already poor defense.

Doesn't look like its for medical reasons. SMDH

Quote:
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne Also heard that Desmond Bishop did not fail a physical or any sort of test. Sounds like it's business-first move for the #Packers right now.

Quote:
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne And just touched based with Desmond Bishop (@Desbishop55). Linebacker says he is "completely" healthy. #packers

Last edited by Trizzcuit on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
Well it does say barring re-structure, so if that's accurate, then its not medical. On a defense sorely needing playmakers, I am perplexed. We already have one ILB not making plays, so cutting the one guy with potential in that area is crazy.

I know Capers has said that he likes Jones, but this is perplexing. I think Manning is another Jones, so we are back to looking for a tone-setter up the middle.

I know that I am in the minority on this but we are getting rid of the wrong guy IMO
You when it said barring a restructure that instantly made me think it was money. If it was medical, GB would be getting rid of him regardless. Maybe this was leaked by GB, unlikely as that sounds, to try and build some leverage against Bishop to restructure.

As for the getting rid of the wrong guy if this does happen, I agree 100%. Can't imagine our FO thinking it was better to keep Hawk and let Bishop go unless medical was involved.

Kempes on the custom sig!
PackerPride

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe clearing money for a Raji or Shields extension?
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i'm not sure why he would be on the chopping block if hes healthy...

TT must be trying to squeeze every last penny to free up space for the young guys
RashaanSalaami

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would save about $3.1mm in cap room by cutting him this year, which to me isn't enough money to justify the move.

I still can't imagine counting on Brad Jones in the middle as a 3-down linebacker for an entire season. The staff really feels better in run defense with Jones than Bishop? Bishop isn't great in that area and misses assignments here or there, but he brings a different energy and has a nose for the ball. Not sure what changed between the extension and this decision THIS early. Blitzing? You'd rather have Jones? You cut Bishop and I think we're more likely that we'll be looking for a pair of new backers in the near future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: