Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Full squad 3 day Mini-Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Northland wrote:
I am glad to hear that Leary is playing as well as he is. I am anxious to see him in the exhibition season.

I am not sure about Frederick starting at G though as has been suggested by some. I know he can play the position, and theoretically it would allow us to get our 5 best OL on the field. I think the Cowboys drafted him to start at Center and nowhere else.

Center is the most important position on the interior o-line. I'd rather him play there.
agreed! However, keeping him ready for Guard duty just in case we sustain an injury (knock on wood) there, he can slide over and insert Costa at Center.

If there is an injury at OG, why slide Frederick over and insert Costa at Center? That makes for 2 positions getting shuffled around. Continuity on the o-line is huge. Just bring in Costa at OG and leave Frederick at Center. Less moving around and more stability.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
textaz03

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Northland wrote:
I am glad to hear that Leary is playing as well as he is. I am anxious to see him in the exhibition season.

I am not sure about Frederick starting at G though as has been suggested by some. I know he can play the position, and theoretically it would allow us to get our 5 best OL on the field. I think the Cowboys drafted him to start at Center and nowhere else.

Center is the most important position on the interior o-line. I'd rather him play there.
agreed! However, keeping him ready for Guard duty just in case we sustain an injury (knock on wood) there, he can slide over and insert Costa at Center.

If there is an injury at OG, why slide Frederick over and insert Costa at Center? That makes for 2 positions getting shuffled around. Continuity on the o-line is huge. Just bring in Costa at OG and leave Frederick at Center. Less moving around and more stability.
it would be nice to be able to do just that, however, I do not believe Costa can play at the guard position. We have tried him there before and he really sucked at it. Granted, that was when he first got here and he wasn't as strong as he is now. It may be an option, but I have read from various reports over the last 2 years, that Costa is strictly a C.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
matt79511

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see Cook written off. He wasn't that bad last year (possibly the second best OL) and he's pretty cheap as well. I guess there isn't much room for a 3rd string center, but I'd think he'd at least make it over Kowalski.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Interesting to see Cook written off. He wasn't that bad last year (possibly the second best OL) and he's pretty cheap as well. I guess there isn't much room for a 3rd string center, but I'd think he'd at least make it over Kowalski.
kowalski has flexibility. Working at Guard and Center. Unlike Cook.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
kowalski has flexibility. Working at Guard and Center. Unlike Cook.

Cook has gotten NFL action at center, tackle, and guard...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:

To possibly be the second best o line, doesn't say much on our team. And I don't even think he was that..

Personally, I think he won't make the roster. Kowalski has more upside, while Cook will never be anything more then a backup with some flexibility IMO. And not what I would call a quality backup, just a decent one.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

To possibly be the second best o line, doesn't say much on our team. And I don't even think he was that..

Personally, I think he won't make the roster. Kowalski has more upside, while Cook will never be anything more then a backup with some flexibility IMO. And not what I would call a quality backup, just a decent one.

"Arguably the second best OL on the Cowboys last year" is something of a backhanded compliment, yes. But, it shouldn't be discounted. I'd say his play was certainly superior to that of Free and Bernadeau and comparable to that of Livings. On the basis that you go into the season with your best 53, those guys shouldn't be better roster bets than him, in my opinion, but the consensus is that they are.

I don't get the Kowalski love. What's he shown? Nothing, which somehow tends to equate to "upside". You say Cook's just a decent backup, I ask how we know that Kowalski's even that. I think fans just have a preference for change.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

"Arguably the second best OL on the Cowboys last year" is something of a backhanded compliment, yes. But, it shouldn't be discounted. I'd say his play was certainly superior to that of Free and Bernadeau and comparable to that of Livings. On the basis that you go into the season with your best 53, those guys shouldn't be better roster bets than him, in my opinion, but the consensus is that they are.

I don't get the Kowalski love. What's he shown? Nothing, which somehow tends to equate to "upside". You say Cook's just a decent backup, I ask how we know that Kowalski's even that. I think fans just have a preference for change.

Cook is 30 years old and we have to assume playing with a 6'6 center is a pain in the a** for a 6'2 QB. Personally, I also think that he hardly was better than burnadeau.

Kowalski is 24 and looked more impressing in his first season here when he got some playing time as far as I remember.

So Kowalski is cheaper, younger and have shown that he's not hopeless. I think it's very understandable that people thnks Cook is the odd man out.

- But it all depends on TC, and if Kowalski can prove that he can play after those injuries. I'd be comfortable going into the season with either on the roster, I think it's going to be a close battle as to who gets in. .
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kowalski is impressive TBH. His real full time action was against the 49ers defence when Costa went down 2 years ago. And he played great against that D-line of thiers.

Other than that he never got a opportunity to get on the field.

I know we like to question and say well "the staff does not feel very highly of him to let him get on the field and so he might not be impressive enough". Hey this is the same staff that allowed Miles Austin to break out because of a injury to Roy Williams. So I still have to go with my gut on Kowalski.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboys ink Williams

Only two more to go.

^^^mack
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Cowboys ink Williams

Only two more to go.

Three I think. Wilcox, Frrederick and Escobar.

matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hey, he wasn't terrible in limited action!" is also what gets players like Alan Ball a starting job. Coaches can of course be wrong about their own players, but they see a lot more than we do between practices and watching tape, so when it comes to who starts and how much everyone plays they typically make the right calls.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
"Hey, he wasn't terrible in limited action!" is also what gets players like Alan Ball a starting job. Coaches can of course be wrong about their own players, but they see a lot more than we do between practices and watching tape, so when it comes to who starts and how much everyone plays they typically make the right calls.

Thats actually the thing. He wasn't terrible . He played pretty damn good for a rookie against that 49ers D-line that game. Even the game announcers pointed it out in overtime the inside pass protection was improved by Kowalski after costa left the game with a injury.

GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=254906

This might have been discussed already. If so, my apologies. Apparently, they are giving Austin days off to protect his hamstring. I think this is a win-win here. Hopefully, Austin stays healthy and plays well, while a younger guy(s) get good reps. I would love to see him go off early in the season, and then get traded for a 2014 pick, since he most likely will not be on the team in 2014 due to his contract.
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:

Pretty sure Ball got a starting job because of injuries to the guys ahead of him.

^^^mack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: