Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vonta Leach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Vonta Leach Reply with quote

This does need to be mentioned. Leach is about to be released by Baltimore after not reaching a contract. Any opposition to bringing him back here on a minimal multi year contract?

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We let him go the first time because we couldn't afford him. I wonder how much he will want this time if the Ravens let him go. I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but we did just sign Greg Jones, who is a very good blocking in his own right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, Vonta has been one of the most overrated players in the league for some time now and was overpaid at $11 million. Even on the most run oriented teams, FB doesn't come close to playing 50% of snaps and slot receiver or blocking TE should rightfully be called "starters" over FBs if not for the antiquated layout of depth charts and starting lineups on TV coverage. Don't get me wrong, amongst fullbacks he's top 3 and maybe the best, but the reality is that with a 60/40 pass/run ratio these days and over 1/3 of rush attempts coming with a slot receiver or 2nd TE replacing the FB, a FB is only really doing his job on 15 run plays per game. Sure the FB is out there on some passing plays as well when they pass out of a running formation, but Leach was a below average pass protector and nobody is paying a FB to pass protect or be a decoy. Leach played more in Balt than he ever did here, but he still played only 42% of offensive snaps while Ed Dickson played 49% and Jacoby played 39%. Hell, their #4 WR & #3 TEs played a combined 29% of snaps. Leach is a great clubhouse guy and good tone setter in dishing out hits offensive players usually take, but I've always felt those 3 or 4 bonecrushing pancake hits he delivers per season to opposing corners or safeties get far too much run as the reality is that Foster did just fine without him and so will Ray Rice. People give him far too much credit for both as I'd love to see their ypc isolated for downs where he was on the field vs. ones where he wasn't as merely having him on the field tips the run, which is why so many teams prefer to just run out of 3WR or 2 TE sets.

BTW - Can we also get a post-script on all the FAs Rick has let walk and what happened contract-wise with their next deals. Sadly, about the only one who has lived up to his post-Texans contract has been Jacoby and that was more about the bridges he had burned with coaching staff and fanbase than pure football skill (and let's see how year 2 goes for him now that the ego is pumped to the point where I think the bubble bursts with enough snaps at WR to expose his fundamental flaws and kickoffs fielded 8 yards deep in the end zone, that result in fumbles or field position at the 10).

Heck, I think a strong argument can be made for plenty of these players who take big contracts elsewhere only to get cut 2 years into the deal, that they would have been better off financially and productivity-wise if they had just stayed here and taken less money. Rick has leverage in spades at this point.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
biggio7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they didn't spend money on Winston, I can't see them spending money on Leach. Greg Jones was brought in. He is more the capable, go back to MJD's reaction when the Jags released him and the Texans signed him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will never hear the Texans say anything, but as far as I'm concerned Vonta burned the bridge when in his first game against us in week 5 of 2011, the Ravens thought it was important enough to rub our noses in his signing to give him his first 3 rush attempts of the season at the goalline. Antonio Smith took it personally enough to draw two personal fouls, which may not have been the proper response either, but I applaud his recognizing an attempt to "show up" our team. Vonta got a ring and plenty of accolades, but also got kicked to the curb the second Ozzie's priorities went elsewhere. While his first choice may be a return to Houston, he also had a choice two years ago to stick with a team that stood by him despite a lackluster run game until Arian Foster started carrying the rock behind an Pro Bowl line and he chose to lend his services to the highest bidder. He was well within his rights to let market forces determine his rate of pay, but those same market forces have him unemployed at this time and his abilities and familiarity with the system aren't so much greater than Greg Jones that we have any business setting an example like it being ok to leave and disrespect your team on the field then take your job back when you value it again. Personally, I am most excited this season to watch Jacoby Jones flame out with the Ravens actually counting on him and clean up the one exception to players being better off with the Texans than the green grass they perceived elsewhere.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we not move Greg jones to our 3rd RB. He would be a good short yardage back plus he catches well and blocks good

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Can we not move Greg jones to our 3rd RB. He would be a good short yardage back plus he catches well and blocks good
if im not mistaken, he was a RB at Fla St. He suffered an injury that moved him to FB.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
if im not mistaken, he was a RB at Fla St. He suffered an injury that moved him to FB.

He was a monster of an RB at FSU. I'm sure he will get more touches than we have seen FB's traditionally get in this offense.

Sig by matthouston91
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Yeah because of this. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbO3ZOQMbQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: