Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens officially release FB Vonta Leach; Re-sign TE Bajema
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Well I'm not sure what took so damn long. Everyone and their dog could see that if Pollard and Boldin were going to get cut/traded, that Leach was only a matter of time.

The only reason I see this happening is so that we can pick up a WR via trade or draft.

Sucks for Ray Rice, though. His career looks to be going down the tank fast.

Not sure I agree with this at all. He wasn't at the top of his game last year, but still a VERY good RB. I feel like the offseason hyping of BP (who I love) has led to Rice getting downgraded with no actual action taking place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for the record I'm not excited to see us part ways with Leach. As others have mentioned, though, I do wonder if this is a precursor to obtain a vet WR either via trade or someone we expect to be cut from another squad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really sure if we have any leverage in trying to trade Leach. Although if we get a pick for him I'll be happy. I can safely say the only way I consider this needed is if we can use the money to resign Pitta this year with some left over for that wide receiver training camp cut.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Here's an interesting stat line from last season:

Quote:
Matthew Berry ‏@MatthewBerryTMR 4m
Remember this if Leach leaves MT @PFF_NateJahnke Leach on field: Ray Rice 206att/869 yds/10 TD in '12. Without? Rice 135 att/582 yds/1 TD

I'm not worried about that though. It sounds like Rice is getting in better shape and I think we can all agree that he didn't look his best last year. Getting some of that quickness back is more important than having Leach in my opinion.

Agreed. 4.2 YPC with Leach on the field and 4.3 YPC without suggests, if anything, that his impact on the running game is overstated. We gain his lead-blocking ability when he's on the field, but teams could also sell out against the run whenever they saw him on the field. Lower YPC probably has partly to do with the fact that he was on the field for a lot of short-yardage situations, but part of it also has to do with the fact that he was too one-dimensional to keep defenses from deducing where the play was going.

Without Leach, we lose that hard-nosed blocking but we gain a degree of balance. Even if Juszyzck is on the field, we still have more options to go on the field: Defenses won't know whether it's a simple run up the middle out of a Power-I, whether we'll motion one of them out of the backfield to run a crossing pattern, whether we just run a quick-hitter out to the wideout/tight end, whether we'll send a swing pass to either of our backfield guys... and play-action can be a lot more affective out of this context as well. Caldwell seems to want to make it a priority to get the ball in the quicker/slimmer Rice in positions where he can make play in space, and I think he'll find ways to do that with both the running game and the passing game.

I'll miss Leach because it was a lot of fun to watch him wreck linebackers, but sadly, at his price tag he is eminently expendable, and all the more after we drafted Juszyzck. Too much money for soemone playing 15-20 snaps a game at most in an offense that is shifting in a different direction. Whether we roll the ~4.3 million over as additional savings for next year's cap or use it to make an additional roster move this summer, I think that money will be better spent elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:
Remember this if Leach leaves MT @PFF_NateJahnke Leach on field: Ray Rice 206att/869 yds/10 TD in '12. Without? Rice 135 att/582 yds/1 TD

I'm not worried about that though. It sounds like Rice is getting in better shape and I think we can all agree that he didn't look his best last year. Getting some of that quickness back is more important than having Leach in my opinion.

Agreed. 4.2 YPC with Leach on the field and 4.3 YPC without suggests, if anything, that his impact on the running game is overstated. We gain his lead-blocking ability when he's on the field, but teams could also sell out against the run whenever they saw him on the field. Lower YPC probably has partly to do with the fact that he was on the field for a lot of short-yardage situations, but part of it also has to do with the fact that he was too one-dimensional to keep defenses from deducing where the play was going.

Without Leach, we lose that hard-nosed blocking but we gain a degree of balance. Even if Juszyzck is on the field, we still have more options to go on the field: Defenses won't know whether it's a simple run up the middle out of a Power-I, whether we'll motion one of them out of the backfield to run a crossing pattern, whether we just run a quick-hitter out to the wideout/tight end, whether we'll send a swing pass to either of our backfield guys... and play-action can be a lot more affective out of this context as well. Caldwell seems to want to make it a priority to get the ball in the quicker/slimmer Rice in positions where he can make play in space, and I think he'll find ways to do that with both the running game and the passing game.

I'll miss Leach because it was a lot of fun to watch him wreck linebackers, but sadly, at his price tag he is eminently expendable, and all the more after we drafted Juszyzck. Too much money for soemone playing 15-20 snaps a game at most in an offense that is shifting in a different direction. Whether we roll the ~4.3 million over as additional savings for next year's cap or use it to make an additional roster move this summer, I think that money will be better spent elsewhere.

Agreed.

And I know some people will look at the 10 TDs with Leach and only 1 without, but we must keep in mind that when the ball was near the goal line, we used Leach a hell of a lot more often on run plays than we didn't, so that number is very much misleading.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:

Agreed.

And I know some people will look at the 10 TDs with Leach and only 1 without, but we must keep in mind that when the ball was near the goal line, we used Leach a hell of a lot more often on run plays than we didn't, so that number is very much misleading.

Was going to chime in on this as well. When I looked at the raw numbers it seemed that we were clearly better with him on the field, but when you actually calculate the YPC numbers and account for the fact that he was on the field far more often than not in RZ situations, it's a much less staggering difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
The Ravens have cut veteran FB Vonta Leach.

http://twitter.com/Ravens/statuses/344476371621404675

They re-signed TE Billy Bajema.
Tom Brady Tribute
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised they couldn't find a trade for Leach with his age, cap hit, and position. Kind of odd they re-signed Bajema (this late) though.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bajema would be easily cut if we do make another move before the season starts, so it makes sense. Just a roster filler, might as well always carry the maximum allowed on the roster.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I understand that I'm just surprised they brought back a guy like him this late. I would have guessed they try out somebody different. We know what Bajema is... and he's not that impressive. Or good, especially for what his supposed "specialty" is as a blocking TE.

I think Furstenberg makes the team as the 3rd TE. Especially since Leach was cut. If he and Juszczyk were going to be on the team it might have made more sense to just stick with Pitta and Dickson on the active roster but now there's a definite need for another player.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Vonta Leach to visit the Dolphins on Wednesday morning, per a league source

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/344585448640876544
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Color me shocked that the Dolphins arent signing FB Vonta Leach. They rarely sign players they are "reportedly" interested in (See: Winston)

http://twitter.com/BenVolin/statuses/358211714900172800

Quote:
Leach is a good reminder: Agents trying to drum up business through media rarely works. Either a team wants you or not.

http://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/statuses/358212391877623809

Quote:
Ravens' offer on table for Vonta Leach that led to his release: $2 mill w $1 mill incentives that would give him $3 mill he was set to earn

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/358212479580504064

Quote:
Leach was skeptical (re: incentives) because Ravens' offense under OC Jim Caldwell had evolved into more 1-back, up-tempo.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/358213049758384128
Tom Brady Tribute
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we might get him back after all. But if I'm Leach I'd gladly take $2m if it means I'm not banging around with LBers as much at such an advanced age. I mean, and if he plays x percent of the time, he's going to get paid the full $3m. I don't know. But it's not like our offer should have 'disrespected' him in anyway, so as long as no other promising suitors arise it would be nice to sign Leach back so we won't have such a horrible running game. We're already dealing with a turnstyle at center, so we need someone that can really hold their own at FB. And let's face it, without Leach, Rice and Pierce were going to be nobodies.

At least signing Leach back should put us over 6 wins on the season.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn. I love to watch him play, and it'd be nice to have him back, but I'm fully on the Juszczyk bandwagon now, and want to see that guy get as many snaps as possible, right from the off.

I just don't think this Ravens offense has much use for a blocking FB, with the way it's evolving. And I don't think Rice and Pierce necessarily need a lead blocker, if the O-line does its job properly. Though Leach can catch a few passes, he's definitely not a receiving threat of much consequence.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I'm torn. I love to watch him play, and it'd be nice to have him back, but I'm fully on the Juszczyk bandwagon now, and want to see that guy get as many snaps as possible, right from the off.

I just don't think this Ravens offense has much use for a blocking FB, with the way it's evolving. And I don't think Rice and Pierce necessarily need a lead blocker, if the O-line does its job properly. Though Leach can catch a few passes, he's definitely not a receiving threat of much consequence.

I don't care much about using Leach in a 'dynamic' role. But if he's not seeing the type of cash that he wants and he comes back, I want to use him essentially as a short yardage powerhouse. Sure some might say things like, 'you're tipping your hand by putting Leach in there'. Who cares. Send Leach in there to destroy and intimidate LBers. Allow our powerful guards to destroy and clear some lanes... and let's get some first downs. Finesse is cool and all, but sometimes you've just got to say... full steam ahead. That and the fact that I'm sure Juice-check could benefit from the veteran presence at FB ahead of him showing him the ropes for a year while he gets the playbook down. That way he can just focus on perfecting his niche while branching out from there as opposed to covering all bases at once.

Also unless Pierce is able to become a dependable blocking RB in single RB formations and/or Juice-check can be that guy, Leach would have value as an extra blocker if we decide to go four wides. Because Ray Rice is a pretty terrible blocker and doesn't excel in that role at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: