Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens officially release FB Vonta Leach; Re-sign TE Bajema
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Ravens officially release FB Vonta Leach; Re-sign TE Bajema Reply with quote

Quote:
Ravens unable to reach compromise with Vonta Leach on restructure, expected to cut or trade him as soon as Tuesday

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-unable-to-reach-compromise-with-vonta-leach-expected-to-release-or-trade-him-sources-say-20130610,0,1026908.story

***Update***
Quote:
The Ravens have cut veteran FB Vonta Leach.

http://twitter.com/Ravens/statuses/344476371621404675

They re-signed TE Billy Bajema.

***Update***
Quote:
Vonta Leach to visit the Dolphins on Wednesday morning, per a league source

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/344585448640876544

***Update***
Quote:
Color me shocked that the Dolphins arent signing FB Vonta Leach. They rarely sign players they are "reportedly" interested in (See: Winston)

http://twitter.com/BenVolin/statuses/358211714900172800

Quote:
Leach is a good reminder: Agents trying to drum up business through media rarely works. Either a team wants you or not.

http://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/statuses/358212391877623809

Quote:
Ravens' offer on table for Vonta Leach that led to his release: $2 mill w $1 mill incentives that would give him $3 mill he was set to earn

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/358212479580504064

Quote:
Leach was skeptical (re: incentives) because Ravens' offense under OC Jim Caldwell had evolved into more 1-back, up-tempo.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/358213049758384128
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 am; edited 4 times in total
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like this one bit.

It's not like we're in cap hell or like Leach is commanding some exorbitant salary. Not sure why the Ravens are so high on pushing him out the door. I'm sure everyone likes the new guy Juice, but assuming he's more an H-back than an actual fullback, is this essentially the nail in the coffin for the days of the Ravens being a run first team?

Sucks to see so much change, but hopefully it pays off in the end.

....In Ozzie we trust, I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Since he only has a year left on his deal I assume they wanted him to take a paycut but it looks Leach wasn't too interested in what the team was offering. It's a shame to see him go. This opens up all the laying time for Juszczyk though and with Caldwell supposedly implementing a new offense it might be for the best moving forward.

Here's an interesting stat line from last season:

Quote:
Matthew Berry ‏@MatthewBerryTMR 4m
Remember this if Leach leaves MT @PFF_NateJahnke Leach on field: Ray Rice 206att/869 yds/10 TD in '12. Without? Rice 135 att/582 yds/1 TD

I'm not worried about that though. It sounds like Rice is getting in better shape and I think we can all agree that he didn't look his best last year. Getting some of that quickness back is more important than having Leach in my opinion.

I'm still going to miss Vonta. Crying or Very sad Especially those few times he had the ball in his hands.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:

It's not like we're in cap hell or like Leach is commanding some exorbitant salary. Not sure why the Ravens are so high on pushing him out the door. I'm sure everyone likes the new guy Juice, but assuming he's more an H-back than an actual fullback, is this essentially the nail in the coffin for the days of the Ravens being a run first team?

But he does, $4.3M cap hit is a lot for a FB, and they did draft a cheap rookie.
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Wow. Since he only has a year left on his deal I assume they wanted him to take a paycut but it looks Leach wasn't too interested in what the team was offering.

As the tweet in the OP says, they did ask.
Tom Brady Tribute
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:

But he does, $4.3M cap hit is a lot for a FB, and they did draft a cheap rookie.

Dang, is it that high? For some reason I thought it was a little bit more reasonable than that. While that does make it a little bit more understandable, I still can't say I agree with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:

Dang, is it that high? For some reason I thought it was a little bit more reasonable than that. While that does make it a little bit more understandable, I still can't say I agree with it.

Yep, teams usually keep the highest cap figure to the final year of a contract, which is why almost no NFL players see the final year of their contracts... they are either cut or get an extension if they're good enough.
Tom Brady Tribute
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Wow. Since he only has a year left on his deal I assume they wanted him to take a paycut but it looks Leach wasn't too interested in what the team was offering.

As the tweet in the OP says, they did ask.

The tweet says restructure and I usually take that as the literal NFL meaning (which wouldn't apply here since Leach only has a year left). Just semantics. Laughing

I wonder what the front office is planning to do with the extra $3 million in cap room. They wouldn't cut him and then do nothing. I guess the potential veteran need areas are receiver and...? Think
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really get this move. We don't need the cap space. Even if we don't use a fullback that much it's not like we never will again and it's a huge asset to have the best in the game when we do. And all we have there now is an Ivy League TE. Very strange move to me.

Free Ray Rice
MLBeast 52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m assuming that Leach was going to have a much smaller role in the Caldwell`s offence this year. I don`t like it, but maybe they figure that they can use the money better by getting someone else. I don`t really want Lloyd but I don`t see who else is out there.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure what took so damn long. Everyone and their dog could see that if Pollard and Boldin were going to get cut/traded, that Leach was only a matter of time.

The only reason I see this happening is so that we can pick up a WR via trade or draft.

Sucks for Ray Rice, though. His career looks to be going down the tank fast.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just missed out on Tebow Laughing
drd23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way, it almost surprises me more that he lasted this long than the fact that he might be cut now

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
In a way, it almost surprises me more that he lasted this long than the fact that he might be cut now

Agreed.

I'll miss Vonta, but his price and his role just didn't match under Caldwell.

Interested in seeing if we make another move.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:

My guess is they wanted to at least evaluate Juice before making a decision on Leach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: