Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears trade OL Gabe Carimi to Bucs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugashane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really does get me thinking about how well they believe Slauson, Mills, and Long will play this year. Mills may seem more ready as far as technique goes than most of us thought.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
TytybearsFan21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago is where Buccaneers go to die, so let's see how this works backwards.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
But the fact they traded a 1st round pick from 2 years ago for a 6th rounder tells you all you need to know, the Bears had absolutely no intention of wasting anymore time or money on Gabe Carimi.

Well, and besides that, Jerry Angelo isn't GMing right now to trade a 2nd round pick for a 1st round bust.

Speaking of Jerry, bravo on another first round failure. He's the gift the keeps on giving; his incompetence lasts well after he's gone.

Didn't Al Afalava start more games than Carimi?
ConVict90

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TytybearsFan21 wrote:

was this suppose to be a pun?

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
G08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
Really does get me thinking about how well they believe Slauson, Mills, and Long will play this year. Mills may seem more ready as far as technique goes than most of us thought.

My sentiments as well. Man, Mills still is slow as [inappropriate/removed] off the snap.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
TytybearsFan21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVict90 wrote:
TytybearsFan21 wrote:

HEIL SATAN
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

My sentiments as well. Man, Mills still is slow as [inappropriate/removed] off the snap.
What must you have thought of Gabe Carimi, who was w/o a doubt, the worst athlete on the OL before he was traded today. LMAO.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am shocked we got anything for him. At this point, it was just time to go. We don't need to waste a spot on the roster because some guy was a first round pick (of Jerry Angelo, mind you) and if Gabe is to have a successful career -- it wasn't going to be in Chicago.

Best for both sides. He could still turn out pretty good, but I can't say I'd stake any money on it.

Good luck in Tampa, Gabe.

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m surprised we got even a 6th for him as it was pretty obvious he wasn’t going to make the team…you have to wonder what would have happened had he not hurt his knee so early in his career…I hope he goes on to have a decent career with the Bucs and finds a home with his old college Oline coach.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emery must also be getting medical reports that his knee is done and that they need to move on.

Also look at the guys that he brought in on the OL guys like Long and Mills are known for being a great and a good athlete respectively. Carimi was damaged goods that never fit into what the Bears were trying to do.
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:
TytybearsFan21 wrote:

HEIL SATAN

Oh I get it now. Tisk tisk, Tyty.

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
TytybearsFan21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
TytybearsFan21 wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:
TytybearsFan21 wrote:

HEIL SATAN

Oh I get it now. Tisk tisk, Tyty.

Clearin space for J-Marc!
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh...the staff that liked him is gone and it looks like he was clashing with this new group already.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
So where are the people insisting I was grasping at straws when I said 2 months ago that I didn't see Carimi making the team? I kid, I kid. But the fact they traded a 1st round pick from 2 years ago for a 6th rounder tells you all you need to know, the Bears had absolutely no intention of wasting anymore time or money on Gabe Carimi.
Few believed he was going to make this team since the draft. This will free up some cap space which was something holding things up since anything we could do was going to cost us. Only a trade saved money (unless we are paying some of his salary.)
bzane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiSportsFan wrote:
Not attending OTAs was likely the last straw for the Bears and he was on the roster bubble to begin with. I'm surprised Emery got something out of him after the embarrassing showing he had last season

I had posted something to this effect here before: Carimi was a positional reach when he was drafted. Every year's draft class has positions where, unfortunately, there just are not very many good players. And yet, despite all the rhetoric about Best-Player-Available, and he was the top guy on our board, you see teams gamble on questionable prospects, so pressing is a particular need.

Thus, in 2011, after Tyron Smith, there were a lot of less-than-thrilling candidates at OT, players that might or might not make it. I recall reading in Pro Football Weekly's draft guide that Carimi was a weird sort of 'tweener- not athletic enough to be a left tackle, nor powerful enough for the right side. They considered him more of a second- or third-round guy, but predicted that some team would over-draft him in the first, because of a dearth of prospects in an annual position of need.

Carimi, in contrast to the scouts, had an inflated opinion of himself and came off as arrogant in his interviews. This may have factored against him- or it may have sold some teams on the guy. All that confidence in himself!

Well- this is how it turned out. Of course, despite all the testing and the game tapes and measurements and research, the draft, if not a crap shoot, is a great unknown every year. You can have Brandon Weeden taken in the first, and Russell Wilson in the third. There are years of no running backs, or years of no tackles. The quarterbacking pool was remarkably shallow this past April.

But if there's a lesson to be learned, perhaps it's not to gamble on reaching for a position out of need. Then again, I recall that Duane Brown was considered a reach when he was drafted, and that one worked out pretty well.

Hope that Carimi is able to become a serviceable linemen for Tampa, if not a star of first-round magnitude, in the way that Robert Gallery salvaged something of his career as a guard. Wish him well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: