Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lincoln Financial Revitalization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
You people are naive to think it has anything to do with weather. It's logistics, period. Hotels, a place for the NFL experience, something for people to do for two weeks and traffic. Traffic being the number 1 thing.
Lets not forget that the NFL is vehemently opposed to gambling of any kind and therefor will never even hold a press conference in close proximity to Atlantic City. That's the real reason Philly never gets a Super Bowl. People won't want to except that, but that is reality.

Then why haven't Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati , DC and Denver among others ever been up for nominations to host a SB? They could satisfy all the above you mentioned. The fact is the NFL wants as close to perfect conditions as possible to play in and for the fans to enjoy. The last thing they want even though the entire history of the NFL outside of SB is that weather can play a factor and god forbid change the outcome of a game at any time, period. Can you imagine if SB weekend they were hit with a blizzard much like Philly was a few years back and despite a massive effort, the game is postponed and moved from a Sun to a Tuesday? That could cost them not 10's of millions but upwards of 100+ in revenue/marketing/etc,. That is and will always be the number one reason why they avoid cold weather venues at all cost! It all comes down to the money that can be made and LOST by the NFL. I have a feeling that scenario can easily be in play come Feb this year, watch.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 12 Gm/ 71 Rec/ 1088 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.3 YPC/
rememberthevet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:
You people are naive to think it has anything to do with weather. It's logistics, period. Hotels, a place for the NFL experience, something for people to do for two weeks and traffic. Traffic being the number 1 thing.
Lets not forget that the NFL is vehemently opposed to gambling of any kind and therefor will never even hold a press conference in close proximity to Atlantic City. That's the real reason Philly never gets a Super Bowl. People won't want to except that, but that is reality.

Then why haven't Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati , DC and Denver among others ever been up for nominations to host a SB? They could satisfy all the above you mentioned. The fact is the NFL wants as close to perfect conditions as possible to play in and for the fans to enjoy. The last thing they want even though the entire history of the NFL outside of SB is that weather can play a factor and god forbid change the outcome of a game at any time, period. Can you imagine if SB weekend they were hit with a blizzard much like Philly was a few years back and despite a massive effort, the game is postponed and moved from a Sun to a Tuesday? That could cost them not 10's of millions but upwards of 100+ in revenue/marketing/etc,. That is and will always be the number one reason why they avoid cold weather venues at all cost! It all comes down to the money that can be made and LOST by the NFL. I have a feeling that scenario can easily be in play come Feb this year, watch.

What you are saying is true, but you did not account for the fact that the NFL will still make money on all the same ads that were scheduled when they are finally aired. Contracts as big as what the NFL is dealing with don't leave themselves open for such loss/liability, I am sure that this year if the conditions were as you suggested the contracts themselves would have a framework for what to do.

Not to mention, the NFL can take out insurance to cover against a postponement. So my point is, the potential losses are not near as extreme as you may think; there would be no Superbowl in NYC if weather alone presented financial risk of that magnitude.

I'm not saying that those possibilities didn't push decisions back when the Superbowl was created, but now there are so many financial vehicles that a business as sophisticated as the NFL can use as safety nets that they might even make money if the Superbowl were postponed.

I think the owners are just stuck in tradition and fear the cold-weather bowl from a game standpoint - even though both sides have to play in it, a team like the packers would have an advantage they didn't earn (as opposed to gaining home field advantage for the playoffs) against a team like the falcons etc.

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine having to postpone that Beyonce concert. The fact is that the Superbowl is beyond just football, it's every bit as much a major economic event (ads, commercials, sponsors, etc.) and a large scale entertainment event (music, nightlife, etc.) that spans beyond just Super Sunday.

I think weather is a huge factor. There's no way Beyonce is dressing up in a 20x20 inch piece of table cloth for her performance if it was outdoors in Denver or something in February.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
birdman0069

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Imagine having to postpone that Beyonce concert. The fact is that the Superbowl is beyond just football, it's every bit as much a major economic event (ads, commercials, sponsors, etc.) and a large scale entertainment event (music, nightlife, etc.) that spans beyond just Super Sunday.

I think weather is a huge factor. There's no way Beyonce is dressing up in a 20x20 inch piece of table cloth for her performance if it was outdoors in Denver or something in February.

The weather is a huge factor in terms of Super Bowl week and festivities that go along with all that. The weather has nothing to do with the game though. Do you think a single owner thinks about the quality of the game at the Super Bowl? No, no way, no way in h$ll!
They care about the loss in revenue from things like the NFL experience, all the official party's and the live broadcasts that show fans having the time of lives. Only 2 owners care about the accual game. Do they have a problem with the opening and closing ceremonies at the Olympics? Never. It's the all mighty dollar they are concerned with.
How do you think the NFL is going to sell a Super Bowl in Philly? What does the city have to offer? The events draw over a million people to the city and only 80-90,000 get to go to the game. What is there for the the other 900,000 if the weather turns to crap.
People take their families to the events leading up to the game. People shop, go to the beach ect............ People will not go to the Art Museum during Super Bowl week, they want a good time.
TV cares about half time so the NFL allows the network a "show". Owners could care less.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
rememberthevet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe the nonsense I'm reading. People act like Philly has nothing to offer, that people can't "have a good time" in Philly. There is tons of stuff to do in Philly. Do I need to remind everyone that Philly is a top 5 U.S. city??? Just because there isn't a beach around (which there is within reasonable driving distance) doesn't mean there's nothing to do. And not all of us want to go to the beach anyway. I think somebody needs to get off Florida's jockstrap. And shopping? LMFAO. Like you can't throw a rock and find somewhere to shop in Philly.

It is absolute nonsense to act like other cities have all this stuff to offer that Philly doesn't. I've been to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Talk about nothing to do....that place was a joke! The NFL had no problem holding a Superbowl there. And Jacksonville, that place was not set up to host a Superbowl at all, not nearly enough accommodations or taxis...it was all over the news. The NFL still chose to host one there too. There is no reason not to host a Superbowl in Philly unless the NFL is hung up on the weather. But if that's the case, then there wouldn't be one in East Rutherford this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Philadelphia doesn't have much to offer to the type of people that a Superbowl might draw.

Washington does but the stadium is in Maryland and a little bit of a Metro ride to get to the game. But if they can do a game in East Rutherford, they can do a game in Landover right? I don't quite think so.

Why? The Redskins stadium is surrounded by a residential area. It looks like suburbia. The Metro doesn't even stop right next to the stadium. People would have to walk about 15 minutes to get the stadium from the Metro. Also, add in the fact that FedEx field has a good number of terrible obstructed view seats thanks to Dan Snyder.

If we are talking about cities in colder climates that might be able to host a Superbowl, the list is as follows:

New York
Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rememberthevet wrote:
I can't believe the nonsense I'm reading. People act like Philly has nothing to offer, that people can't "have a good time" in Philly. There is tons of stuff to do in Philly. Do I need to remind everyone that Philly is a top 5 U.S. city??? Just because there isn't a beach around (which there is within reasonable driving distance) doesn't mean there's nothing to do. And not all of us want to go to the beach anyway. I think somebody needs to get off Florida's jockstrap. And shopping? LMFAO. Like you can't throw a rock and find somewhere to shop in Philly.

It is absolute nonsense to act like other cities have all this stuff to offer that Philly doesn't. I've been to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Talk about nothing to do....that place was a joke! The NFL had no problem holding a Superbowl there. And Jacksonville, that place was not set up to host a Superbowl at all, not nearly enough accommodations or taxis...it was all over the news. The NFL still chose to host one there too. There is no reason not to host a Superbowl in Philly unless the NFL is hung up on the weather. But if that's the case, then there wouldn't be one in East Rutherford this year.

Clueless!
It doesn't matter what you think of Philly or where it ranks.
Do people want to go there on vacation and drop of wade of greenbacks? No
That's the only answer. Sorry if it hurts your feelings or your "Philly pride". People want to go to nice places or places that offer some kind attraction. The French Quarter, South Beach, Clearwater Beach, the upscale shopping districts and the trendy places you here about all the time.
Philly isn't that.
Owners learned they can hold up their fellow owners for a Super Bowl to recoup some of cash it cost them to build a new stadium. That's the only reason places like Detroit, New York/New Jersey and Dallas have gotten the Game in recent years. Has Dallas or Detroit got a whiff of a game since their stadiums opened? No, and they won't.
Philly never gets a Super Bowl because the NFL, and the people that run it, aren't that stupid. Fans from every NFL city think their city would be great to host a Super Bowl. That's why the NFL doesn't listen to the fans.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't mean anything, but the US Open is in Philly right now and getting absolutely trashed on by the weather Laughing

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philly proper needs an additional 2,000 hotel rooms just to keep up with capacity Convention Center business.
People routinely stay as far away as Mt. Laurel for business.
It is a logistical nightmare, gambling concerns aside.

What the hell is a Top 5 city?
That means nothing in terms of capacity, logistics, draw, security and the like.

It is the same reason Philly could not be an Olympic venue.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone went off the deep end.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
rememberthevet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
rememberthevet wrote:

Clueless!
That's the only answer. Sorry if it hurts your feelings or your "Philly pride". People want to go to nice places or places that offer some kind attraction. The French Quarter, South Beach, Clearwater Beach, the upscale shopping districts and the trendy places you here about all the time.
Philly isn't that.
Owners learned they can hold up their fellow owners for a Super Bowl to recoup some of cash it cost them to build a new stadium. That's the only reason places like Detroit, New York/New Jersey and Dallas have gotten the Game in recent years. Has Dallas or Detroit got a whiff of a game since their stadiums opened? No, and they won't.
Philly never gets a Super Bowl because the NFL, and the people that run it, aren't that stupid. Fans from every NFL city think their city would be great to host a Super Bowl. That's why the NFL doesn't listen to the fans.

Wow, you must hang out with a swanky crowd huh? I don't know what kind of "trendy places" you think I've heard of, but you must only hang out with bimbos that just want to shop and lay on the beach. I guess since a majority of the points of interest in Philly are for people that have a shred of intellect, you are very turned off by it. I guess Boston and Washington D.C. are pointless too huh? Rolling Eyes Your problem is that you think everyone that would go to a Superbowl thinks like you and wants the things you want, and you are as ignorant as they come. I'm not from Philly, I have no reason to defend it, I'm simply talking from experience because I've been to a bunch of major U.S. cities and Philly has just as much to keep people busy as most of them.

Also, Dallas just hosted as superbowl in 2011, in their new stadium! Are you kidding me?! And if the NFL was so concerned about your "trendy places" and "fun stuff to do" they would have NEVER had a Superbowl at Texas Stadium because there is quite literally NOTHING to do there. And bringing Detroit into this discussion is laughable, everyone knows that city is a ghost town, the NFL would be crazy to have a SB there. So what is this B.S. you keep spewing? Don't talk about things you don't know, that will be your lesson for the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
Philly proper needs an additional 2,000 hotel rooms just to keep up with capacity Convention Center business.
People routinely stay as far away as Mt. Laurel for business.
It is a logistical nightmare, gambling concerns aside.

If you think that the amount of people that would come in for a Superbowl would be staying in Philly proper, or in the downtown of any major city, you don't know a damn thing about logistics. It's called roads. And trains. People take them to get places from the Greater Philly area hotels they would stay in. And since you brought it up, Center City hotels are most recently reported as having 73.4% occupancy:http://philadelphia.regionsbusiness.com/news/room-boom-center-city-hotel-2012-heads-in-beds-rates-neared-pre-recession-figures/
Indianapolis only has about 7 thousand rooms downtown, significantly less than Philly, but the NFL still managed to have a Superbowl there! (http://www.hspainfo.net/main.asp?SectionID=60&SubSectionID=254&ArticleID=73060http://pdf.visitphilly.com/2012-Hotel-Performance.pdf).

A Superbowl is planned far enough ahead to be able to schedule hotel rooms for the visitors, and not to mention, the Superbowl is in February, not exactly a big month for tourism and conventions so there would be way more un-occupied rooms to work with.Idea

What the hell is a Top 5 city?
Top 5 as in population, it is a MAJOR U.S. city. Maybe you don't appreciate that because you haven't been to a lot of U.S. cities (not meant as an insult), but it's kind of a big deal. Forbes also ranked it the 9th most visited city in the country in 2010: http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/28/tourism-new-york-lifestyle-travel-las-vegas-cities_slide_3.html
That means nothing in terms of capacity, logistics, draw, security and the like.
Addressed above

It is the same reason Philly could not be an Olympic venue.
very different animal, the Superbowl is only one day and it takes place in February

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should just lower the beer prices to >$5 and i would be satisfied with that revitalization.
birdman0069

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rememberthevet wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:
rememberthevet wrote:

Clueless!
Philly isn't that.

Wow, you must hang out with a swanky crowd huh? I don't know what kind of "trendy places" you think I've heard of, but you must only hang out with bimbos that just want to shop and lay on the beach. I guess since a majority of the points of interest in Philly are for people that have a shred of intellect, you are very turned off by it. I guess Boston and Washington D.C. are pointless too huh? Rolling Eyes Your problem is that you think everyone that would go to a Superbowl thinks like you and wants the things you want, and you are as ignorant as they come. I'm not from Philly, I have no reason to defend it, I'm simply talking from experience because I've been to a bunch of major U.S. cities and Philly has just as much to keep people busy as most of them.

Also, Dallas just hosted as superbowl in 2011, in their new stadium! Are you kidding me?! And if the NFL was so concerned about your "trendy places" and "fun stuff to do" they would have NEVER had a Superbowl at Texas Stadium because there is quite literally NOTHING to do there. And bringing Detroit into this discussion is laughable, everyone knows that city is a ghost town, the NFL would be crazy to have a SB there. So what is this B.S. you keep spewing? Don't talk about things you don't know, that will be your lesson for the day.

As a matter of fact I've been to 4 Super Bowls and yes I do hang out with swanky crowd as you call it. Having, you know, been to a Super Bowl and not just watched it on TV like yourself, I think I may be far more qualified to state what people that go to these games are looking for. It's a vacation son, and people don't want to go to Philly to vacation. Over a million people go to the host city, to party, to lay on the beach and to shop. Only 80-90 thousand go to the game. Can you explain this? Of course you can't, you watch the game on TV. The Super Bowl has less to do with game and more to do with whats going on in city and surrounding areas.
People spend thousands of dollars on party's but you, in your infinite wisdom, think people are going to go to the museum, nice. He's a great idea, talk about something you have a little first hand knowledge of.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:

As a matter of fact I've been to 4 Super Bowls and yes I do hang out with swanky crowd as you call it. Having, you know, been to a Super Bowl and not just watched it on TV like yourself, I think I may be far more qualified to state what people that go to these games are looking for. It's a vacation son, and people don't want to go to Philly to vacation. Over a million people go to the host city, to party, to lay on the beach and to shop. Only 80-90 thousand go to the game. Can you explain this? Of course you can't, you watch the game on TV. The Super Bowl has less to do with game and more to do with whats going on in city and surrounding areas.
People spend thousands of dollars on party's but you, in your infinite wisdom, think people are going to go to the museum, nice. He's a great idea, talk about something you have a little first hand knowledge of.

None of us for sure know what is required to host a Super Bowl, however birdman is right to suggest that it really is a week long party. When the Super Bowl was in AZ, it seemed like the entire world had come to Scottsdale to party. It was much different then I expected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: