Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers blueprint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: 49ers blueprint Reply with quote

Interesting article up on cbssports written from former agent Joel Corry's perspective. Gives a brief history of the team's current roster and how we were built, and what it's going to be like to try and keep the core roster together while managing the cap (was glad to see that he felt we were justified in letting Goldson walk). Wasn't sure where to put this, so since it's slow season and all, just decided to go ahead and post a new topic. here's the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22356822/agents-take-analyzing-the-49ers-blueprint-for-longterm-success

Quote:
The 49ers have a blueprint in place that should give them an extended window of opportunity as Super Bowl contenders. As long as talent is continually amassed through strong drafts so aging veterans and players who price themselves out of San Francisco or find better opportunities for playing time in free agency can be replaced cost effectively, the 49ers could become the NFL's franchise to emulate.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great article. Thanks.

It's sad to think that guys like Justin or Frank might not be re-signed. Or that after Kap and Aldon there might not be room for Crabs or even an all pro like Iupati. We've just got to keep hitting homeruns with most of our picks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

It's sad to think that guys like Justin or Frank might not be re-signed. Or that after Kap and Aldon there might not be room for Crabs or even an all pro like Iupati. We've just got to keep hitting homeruns with most of our picks.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think there's anyway we keep Gore next year at his current cap hit as much as I love the guy. He's pure heart and soul. But running back doesn't hold a whole lot of positional value, and we have a stable of running backs that all seem very promising, including even Jewel Hampton.

Justin is a little different; i think it all depends on how he comes back from the injury this year. If he's the normal Justin we've come to expect, I see us resigning him to a 2, maybe 3 year deal. What he brings to the team, the value of his position, I can't see us letting him go if he's playing well.

Out of the young guys, I think we keep Iupati and we have to keep Kaep of course. I think Crabs is gone when he's up, and I'm up in the air on Aldon. He's going to command a whole ton of money and that comes up at the same time as Kaep I believe. I'm hoping we can we resign a couple of guys earlier before they really hit their stride and get them locked up cheap like we did with Boone. Kendall Hunter would be a good choice, as would someone like Kilgore or Looney (especially before one of them becomes a starter). It'll be interesting to see what we do in the secondary too; Brown is possibly our best corner, fairly young, and a free agent. Rogers can't be brought back at his current salary, Nnamdi is a free agent, Cox and Brock are also free agents (though for some reason I'm suspecting one of them doesn't make it through camp this year), and then of course Whitner is a free agent as well. That's a whole lot of secondary help needed in one off season and I don't think I've heard a peep regarding our attempt to open up negotiations with any of them.

CloudKicker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling Iupati will be extended this season. I also know that there is no way we let Kaep or Aldon walk. Crabtree will be tough to sign but this injury might work out in our overall favor as it could drive his price down a bit for fear of an injury history.

I don't think we will be resigning Gore and Justin is likely to walk as well unless he takes a very short-term deal like one or two years. But that is exactly why we drafter Tank and Lattimore, to replace those guys. I have no doubt in my mind that JH and co. will develop replacements for our starters throughout the future.

Props to Peppers90 on the sig

Point Pacific. TTKA
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think there's anyway we keep Gore next year at his current cap hit as much as I love the guy. He's pure heart and soul. But running back doesn't hold a whole lot of positional value, and we have a stable of running backs that all seem very promising, including even Jewel Hampton.

Justin is a little different; i think it all depends on how he comes back from the injury this year. If he's the normal Justin we've come to expect, I see us resigning him to a 2, maybe 3 year deal. What he brings to the team, the value of his position, I can't see us letting him go if he's playing well.

Out of the young guys, I think we keep Iupati and we have to keep Kaep of course. I think Crabs is gone when he's up, and I'm up in the air on Aldon. He's going to command a whole ton of money and that comes up at the same time as Kaep I believe. I'm hoping we can we resign a couple of guys earlier before they really hit their stride and get them locked up cheap like we did with Boone. Kendall Hunter would be a good choice, as would someone like Kilgore or Looney (especially before one of them becomes a starter). It'll be interesting to see what we do in the secondary too; Brown is possibly our best corner, fairly young, and a free agent. Rogers can't be brought back at his current salary, Nnamdi is a free agent, Cox and Brock are also free agents (though for some reason I'm suspecting one of them doesn't make it through camp this year), and then of course Whitner is a free agent as well. That's a whole lot of secondary help needed in one off season and I don't think I've heard a peep regarding our attempt to open up negotiations with any of them.

IMHO after QB the next most important talent to have on a team is a great pass rusher. In this day and age no pass rush basically lets any NFL QB look good and makes winning really hard. As much as I love Iupati and have always wanted him, Aldon just has to be a bigger priority. Kap, plus Aldon, plus Iupati, not to mention a few others is why I've always been thinking Crabs is less than 50-50 to re-sign with us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting here during this slow offseason with hope and anticipation for what is to come this year.

All I can think about is how lucky we are to finally have a franchise QB. How nice is it to be able to go into the next year knowing that we have a QB that can win us games when our defense isn't at top notch? A QB that defenses actually have to gameplan to beat instead of beating our running game and jamming our receivers. I can''t wait for the year to start

Props to Peppers90 on the sig

Point Pacific. TTKA
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudKicker wrote:
Sitting here during this slow offseason with hope and anticipation for what is to come this year.

All I can think about is how lucky we are to finally have a franchise QB. How nice is it to be able to go into the next year knowing that we have a QB that can win us games when our defense isn't at top notch? A QB that defenses actually have to gameplan to beat instead of beating our running game and jamming our receivers. I can''t wait for the year to start

Kaep is actually one of my biggest concerns heading into the season (mainly because we are a team without many concerns to be had; the secondary and wide receiver 2 spot; that about covers it). He certainly has the look of a franchise quarterback, and he absolutely played like it last year, and I what we have in him, but I just really felt like his progression between year one and what we saw, and then last year was so great that it was jarring. I'm a little concerned about a possible regression just because of how great the jump was, if that makes sense. He was so fantastic last year, but it was 8 games, so I'm really looking forward to seeing him over the course of an entire season. Regardless of how he plays this year, I don't expect any possible regression to be that bad; to me Kaep is absolutely a franchise quarterback with all the talent, intelligence and physical ability you could want out of your signal caller.

757-NINER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though they gave McClueless way too much credit in the article(it was Nolan who revamped the personnel department and hired Scotty Mac in the first place), it was spot on and a great read
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
CloudKicker wrote:

Kaep is actually one of my biggest concerns heading into the season (mainly because we are a team without many concerns to be had; the secondary and wide receiver 2 spot; that about covers it). He certainly has the look of a franchise quarterback, and he absolutely played like it last year, and I what we have in him, but I just really felt like his progression between year one and what we saw, and then last year was so great that it was jarring. I'm a little concerned about a possible regression just because of how great the jump was, if that makes sense. He was so fantastic last year, but it was 8 games, so I'm really looking forward to seeing him over the course of an entire season. Regardless of how he plays this year, I don't expect any possible regression to be that bad; to me Kaep is absolutely a franchise quarterback with all the talent, intelligence and physical ability you could want out of your signal caller.

Those are certainly fair concerns to have, but what I loved was that he got better as the season progressed. This wasn't a case of him starting out hot, and than cooling off towards the end of the season. Matter of fact, he played his best ball in the playoffs which is very telling.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Forge wrote:
CloudKicker wrote:

Those are certainly fair concerns to have, but what I loved was that he got better as the season progressed. This wasn't a case of him starting out hot, and than cooling off towards the end of the season. Matter of fact, he played his best ball in the playoffs which is very telling.

I would agree with that. The only thing he didn't really get better at, as the season wore on, was being overly excited at the start of games/big moments with the exception of maybe the bears game. I'm hopeful that now that he has played in the playoffs, the super bowl, and has already experienced huge games in his brief stint as starter, that he will no longer come out with that excited energy and take a few minutes to calm down. Looking at the games it was definitely a pattern. The first rams game he came in and it was completely ugly at first. Far too jittery. Then he settled in and was fine. He did great in the bears game, not overly excited at all (jitters all out the week before), and didn't have the problem for a while (including games against new orleans in new orleans and the pats game). Then the seahawks game happened, and he was definitely not his best (though no one on the team was; I think the cross country trip and game against new england had more to do with that then the seahawks though), but it came up big time in the playoffs. He started rocky in the Packers game (overthrows, and then a pick 6), had two straight 3 and outs to start the game against Atlanta (and his throws did not look great), and then against Baltimore, he started off fine at first, but it was deterred by bad penalties; then he pressed and ended up throwing that pick. Hopefully that problem is gone last year. The other issue that should be fixed is the time management issues he sometimes had; hopefully that is a thing of the past as well. So when it comes down to it, he should improve in those facets without question and the only possible regression should come from his on-field play; throwing and running the football. I'm extremely excited to see how that shakes out, even if I am a little nervous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: