Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tomlin says itís time to shape up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeanJoeGreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i upvote fourthreemafia?
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Last year the Steelers weren't anymore unfit I believe in previous years. But with mounting injuries the teams fitness and healthy came in to question. So to potentially avoid having another injury filled season they are taking all the steps necessary to get the upper hand.
True statement
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Last year the Steelers weren't anymore unfit I believe in previous years. But with mounting injuries the teams fitness and healthy came in to question. So to potentially avoid having another injury filled season they are taking all the steps necessary to get the upper hand.

I agree that last year they probably werent any more "unfit" than the last few years, but the fact of the matter is we have been a banged up team every year. I get that it is football and those things happen, but better conditioning can lower the chances. Not just conditioning muscles, but making sure everyone is more flexible and that their bodies are more adept to the punishment it takes over the course of a season.

Thats where I feel like weve lacked at...especially along the OLine.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

I agree that last year they probably werent any more "unfit" than the last few years, but the fact of the matter is we have been a banged up team every year. I get that it is football and those things happen, but better conditioning can lower the chances. Not just conditioning muscles, but making sure everyone is more flexible and that their bodies are more adept to the punishment it takes over the course of a season.

I believe the Steelers style of play along the OL is the reason for some of the injuries. The game has evolved from a mauler, man on man to more of a finesse game. The Steelers current stable of OL are more built for finesse then power. I believe a change of scheme will help the Steelers OL avoid the kind of rash of injuries they've have suffered the past few years.

Defensively its just the style of play that gets other injured.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals are the class of this division talent wise and should be for next two years at the very least.

Steelers and Ravens are on the same plane and either could go either way as far as making the playoffs. They will both most likely teeter around that 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 mark with as was said 3-4 games that could swing things worse or better from those marks. In other words it is completely possible that this team could go 6-10 or go 11-5 if all goes right or wrong.

Both of these teams are good enough to make the playoffs but more than likely would absolutely have to catch lightning in a bottle to make a run through them. More than likely they are both first or 2nd round knockout that in reality are just part of the upper echelon's gauntlet. Not unlike the team that lost to Jacksonville in the 2007 WildCard game.

The Browns are still easily a step below, on the rise but they dont have it together. While they added talent this off season, moves were still questionable. I felt Lombardi fumbled the draft with the pick of Mingo, especially after signing Kruger and already having a rising star in Sheard. I felt they fumbled the draft the year before with not doing whatever they had to, to get RG3 and drafting Richardson so high was poor regardless of future results, as Jim Brown said this is not AP. They will be a pain and tough but lack the true leader under center and still lack true offensive difference makers.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Bengals are the class of this division talent wise and should be for next two years at the very least.

I think the caliber of QBs narrows that gap.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:

Steelers and Ravens are on the same plane and either could go either way as far as making the playoffs. They will both most likely teeter around that 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 mark with as was said 3-4 games that could swing things worse or better from those marks. In other words it is completely possible that this team could go 6-10 or go 11-5 if all goes right or wrong.

Both of these teams are good enough to make the playoffs but more than likely would absolutely have to catch lightning in a bottle to make a run through them. More than likely they are both first or 2nd round knockout that in reality are just part of the upper echelon's gauntlet. Not unlike the team that lost to Jacksonville in the 2007 WildCard game.

The Browns are still easily a step below, on the rise but they dont have it together. While they added talent this off season, moves were still questionable. I felt Lombardi fumbled the draft with the pick of Mingo, especially after signing Kruger and already having a rising star in Sheard. I felt they fumbled the draft the year before with not doing whatever they had to, to get RG3 and drafting Richardson so high was poor regardless of future results, as Jim Brown said this is not AP. They will be a pain and tough but lack the true leader under center and still lack true offensive difference makers.

I'll take your 8-8, 9-7 and 7-9 and raise you 10-6, 11-5 and 12-4.

The Steelers have 3 major questions heading into the season. If these 3 issues can be fixed then they'll be a contender all season.

1. Injuries can't win with your top players out.

2. Consistency the team wasn't consistent from 1st half to 2nd half or week to week.

3. Identity Offensively the Steelers need to find their nich and stick to it.

The only thing that the Steelers can't really control is injuries, but they can better help themselves by being more physically fit, static stretching and sustainable conditioning.

Consistency/Identity are things the Steelers can control and both will dictate the success or failures this season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

I just can't agree with this statement. How is being more flexible going to save Decastro from having his knee bent backwards and not tearing a tendon? What does he need to be a ballerina?

Willie Colon injured his knee, so did Gilbert, Woodley had someone fall on him and got a high ankle sprain, Taylor hurt ligaments in his foot (I belive when someone stepped on him), Heath Miller tore ligaments in his knee...

Tell me, how is "good of shape" going to prevent you from hurting ligaments in your knee, foot or ankle?... We all know it isn't.

Mike Adams just got stabbed... Is that because he's not in as good of shape?

The steelers need to get in a better shape so they can finish games better in the 4th quarter, but injuries are going to happen. The Steelers were just really, really unlucky last year with knee injuries and foot injuries to starters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:

I really don't agree about the Bengals. I think they're going to remain the team that at best goes 10-6. They have question marks also you know and they've never shown an ability to dominate the Steelers (only when they had Esiason) and they've never been able to win much vs the Ravens. The Bengals are always that team that looks good on paper but just slightly underperforms.

I'll take the Ravens or Steelers winning the division, every single year, until the Browns or Bengals have a very good qb like the Ravens and or elite qb like the Steelers do.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

I just can't agree with this statement. How is being more flexible going to save Decastro from having his knee bent backwards and not tearing a tendon? What does he need to be a ballerina?

Willie Colon injured his knee, so did Gilbert, Woodley had someone fall on him and got a high ankle sprain, Taylor hurt ligaments in his foot (I belive when someone stepped on him), Heath Miller tore ligaments in his knee...

Tell me, how is "good of shape" going to prevent you from hurting ligaments in your knee, foot or ankle?... We all know it isn't.

The steelers need to get in a better shape so they can finish games better in the 4th quarter, but injuries are going to happen. The Steelers were just really, really unlucky last year with knee injuries and foot injuries to starters.

Funny how you mock me several times in there and its quite clear you have no clue what you are talking about.

First off, I never ONCE said that these were going to stop injuries....just reduce the risk. If you dont think being in shape helps with that, you shouldnt even be discussing the matter.

Secondly, I never mentioned any injury specifically, so bringing up things I never mentioned in a laughably weak attempt to show me up is just desperation on your part.

Third, our OLine has been one of the most injured units in the league since 2008. Acting like thats just "bad luck" is ignorant. Poor conditioning can leave your entire body weaker...not just from a muscular strength standpoint...and greatly increase the risk of injury.

One year of injuries is a fluke.

Two years of injuries is unlucky.

Three years is a trend.

You dont wanna agree with me? Fine, but saying that 5 years of continuous injuries is just bad luck is a joke.

I never said conditioning was the only reason for our injuries, but it can and does play a part in many, especially if thats the case. And considering the Steelers are pushing it further this and doing stress tests is a good indication that they think so as well.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Funny how you mock me several times in there and its quite clear you have no clue what you are talking about.

First off, I never ONCE said that these were going to stop injuries....just reduce the risk. If you dont think being in shape helps with that, you shouldnt even be discussing the matter.

Secondly, I never mentioned any injury specifically, so bringing up things I never mentioned in a laughably weak attempt to show me up is just desperation on your part.

Third, our OLine has been one of the most injured units in the league since 2008. Acting like thats just "bad luck" is ignorant. Poor conditioning can leave your entire body weaker...not just from a muscular strength standpoint...and greatly increase the risk of injury.

One year of injuries is a fluke.

Two years of injuries is unlucky.

Three years is a trend.

You dont wanna agree with me? Fine, but saying that 5 years of continuous injuries is just bad luck is a joke.

I never said conditioning was the only reason for our injuries, but it can and does play a part in many, especially if thats the case. And considering the Steelers are pushing it further this and doing stress tests is a good indication that they think so as well.

The Steelers have to be one of the most injured teams in football. At least when it comes to the star players. Ben, James, Troy, Taylor, Clark, Hampton, DD, Brown, Wallace, Miller, Mendy and I'm sure I'm leaving off someone. But thats just from last year that's crazy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
The Steelers have to be one of the most injured teams in football. At least when it comes to the star players. Ben, James, Troy, Taylor, Clark, Hampton, DD, Brown, Wallace, Miller, Mendy and I'm sure I'm leaving off someone. But thats just from last year that's crazy!

Yep....and as I stated, the last 5 years or so, we have numerous injuries every single year. Some are injureis that cant be avoided, but some are. Even if better conditioning only lowers the chances of getting hurt moderately, every little bit helps.

Personally, while Troy's training regiment may make him faster and more explosive, I think that is also part of what makes him so injury prone. And several of Troy's injuries have been just making a routine play. For instance, a few years ago, he returned an INT for a TD and wasnt even really touched. He limped back to the sideline.

Now, I dont know how preventable that was, but non contact injuries are often preventable. NOT ALWAYS, but poor conditioning definitely increases the risk.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Yep....and as I stated, the last 5 years or so, we have numerous injuries every single year. Some are injureis that cant be avoided, but some are. Even if better conditioning only lowers the chances of getting hurt moderately, every little bit helps.

Personally, while Troy's training regiment may make him faster and more explosive, I think that is also part of what makes him so injury prone. And several of Troy's injuries have been just making a routine play. For instance, a few years ago, he returned an INT for a TD and wasnt even really touched. He limped back to the sideline.

Now, I dont know how preventable that was, but non contact injuries are often preventable. NOT ALWAYS, but poor conditioning definitely increases the risk.

I believe Troys best seasons are when he doesn't return to Pittsburgh till TC. Its the season he choses to stay or attend involuntary workouts that he has a injured season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo they should get rid.of Batch and Dwyer and sign Vonta Leach

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but being in better shape isn't going to keep you from spraining or tearing a ligament in your body and almost all the key injuries to the steelers last year had to do with ligaments. You want to disagree, that's fine, but it's the truth.

Take the Washington Redskins last year, possibly the most in shape team In the league or top 5. All of their starting OL are under 310 but Trent Williams. They have one NT who's above 320 and that's Chris Baker.

Anyways:

1. they had two players tear their pectoral muscles. - Orakpo and Keenan Robinson

2. Roy Helu had a ligament problem in his foot as did Pierre GarÁon

3. Fred Davis tore his Achilles

4. They had Adam Carriker tear his quadriceps tendon

5. They had Brandon Meriweather tear his acl and rookie cb Chase Minifield

6. They had safety Jordan Bernstine and Rg3 tear multiple ligaments in their knee

7. They had London Fletcher and Deangelo Hall both have severely sprained ankles that they probably shouldn't have been playing on.

None of their injuries had anything to do with their weight or the shape they were in. The steelers had a lot of the same issues, yes, they had a few muscle injuries like Redman's groin, and Troy Polumalu but I believe everyone else's injures were ligament related.

Last edited by turtle28 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: