Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tomlin says it’s time to shape up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Tomlin says it’s time to shape up Reply with quote

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4144856-74/games-steelers-fourth?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+Stories%29#axzz2VgWd8ALi

Everyone is saying they are emphasizing being fit this season. They are doing more warm ups before going full speed in practice. It's key he team gets in shape, they blew some leads last year and easily could have won 12 or 13 games.
Quote:

“Four games we should have won. Do that, and we're 12-4, but that's how the league goes,” linebacker Larry Foote said. “The year before, we made the playoffs and we could have lost four games. The bottom line is we lost some games that we should have won and we didn't.”

The four games he likely meant were the losses to the Raiders (34-31), Titans (26-23), Browns (20-14) and/or the Ravens home game (13-10) and the overtime Cowboys game (27-24). The Steelers led in the fourth quarter of the Raiders, Titans and Cowboys games, plus a season-opening loss to the Broncos.

And there's this: Steelers opponents threw only one touchdown pass and had four interceptions in the first quarter but had five TD passes and two interceptions in the fourth.

And Steelers opponents threw 12 touchdown passes and only one interception and completed seven passes of 25 yards or more when losing. By comparison, the Steelers had 12 touchdown passes but 10 interceptions when behind.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4144856-74/games-steelers-fourth?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+Stories%29#ixzz2VgZsVD00
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Four games we should have won. Do that, and we're 12-4, but that's how the league goes,” linebacker Larry Foote said. “The year before, we made the playoffs and we could have lost four games. The bottom line is we lost some games that we should have won and we didn't.”

This is EXACTLY what I have been telling people who have been predicting doom and gloom for us.

For most teams, there are always 3-6 games that couldve went a different way with just a play or two, or one less mistake.

This team is absolutely still playoff contenders, and dangerous ones at that. I laugh at the people acting like the Browns are about the jump over us. Anything is possible, but we are still a team thats regularly competitve in the games we lose and we win most of the time....the Browns still get blown out quite often and while they have talent, its not as much as some think.

I am a realist....I dont predict things out of the bias for my team. I realize this team isnt as great as it once was and realize we are in transition right now and talentwise, probably 3rd in the division.....but we seem to be one of the most overlooked teams this year, and I love it. I see people pimping out teams like the Browns, Rams and Redskins as the teams that are on their way up and dogging the Steelers, Ravens and even Packers as teams on their way down.

I love years like this. These are the years when our team responds. Seriously, every year Ive gotten these vibes.....2004, 2007, 2008 and 2010....we have had great years. Obviously, health and other factors are a big part, but if healthy, I see this team winning 11 or 12 games, and making a serious run.

For all the disrespect we get for "declining", there really are no elite teams in the AFC anymore. The Broncos are the only team close to it, but even they are overhyped. The Pats are very beatable these days...although still very good. Bottom line, I just dont see any huge disparity between the teams that are considered the best in the AFC and the Pittsburgh Steelers. We arent the best team, but hell....have we ever been? Even the years we won it all, we probably werent truly the best teams ON PAPER. Thats why you play the game, though.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Quote:

This is EXACTLY what I have been telling people who have been predicting doom and gloom for us.

For most teams, there are always 3-6 games that couldve went a different way with just a play or two, or one less mistake.

This team is absolutely still playoff contenders, and dangerous ones at that. I laugh at the people acting like the Browns are about the jump over us. Anything is possible, but we are still a team thats regularly competitve in the games we lose and we win most of the time....the Browns still get blown out quite often and while they have talent, its not as much as some think.

I am a realist....I dont predict things out of the bias for my team. I realize this team isnt as great as it once was and realize we are in transition right now and talentwise, probably 3rd in the division.....but we seem to be one of the most overlooked teams this year, and I love it. I see people pimping out teams like the Browns, Rams and Redskins as the teams that are on their way up and dogging the Steelers, Ravens and even Packers as teams on their way down.

I love years like this. These are the years when our team responds. Seriously, every year Ive gotten these vibes.....2004, 2007, 2008 and 2010....we have had great years. Obviously, health and other factors are a big part, but if healthy, I see this team winning 11 or 12 games, and making a serious run.

For all the disrespect we get for "declining", there really are no elite teams in the AFC anymore. The Broncos are the only team close to it, but even they are overhyped. The Pats are very beatable these days...although still very good. Bottom line, I just dont see any huge disparity between the teams that are considered the best in the AFC and the Pittsburgh Steelers. We arent the best team, but hell....have we ever been? Even the years we won it all, we probably werent truly the best teams ON PAPER. Thats why you play the game, though.
I totally agree, the only think I'd change in your post is that the Redskins are on the way up. Last year they won the division and they return all starters, Orakpo (off injury), Meriweather (off injury) and Carikker (probably PUP). The only starter not returning is FS (Madieu Willaims)- who was horrible! They didn't expect Williams to be their FS but when Tanard Jackson got suspended for the year, Madieu Williams had to be the FS- it was clear his best says were 4 or 5 years ago, not last year. They upgraded the depth in their secondary with 3 draft picks and a free agent cb.

Orakpo > Rob Jackson
Richard Crawford, Amerson, Biggers > Cedric Griffin
Meriweather, Phillip Thomas, Rambo > Madieu Williams

Anyways, I definitely agree the steelers are a playoff contender. We've both preached that, the steelers were 8-8 last year meaning if they steal 2 of those games they are in the playoffs again. I mean the Steelers should have swept the Ravens last year. The only reason the Ravens beat the steelers in Pburgh was because of jacoby jones' kick off return for a TD. You take a blown kick off return away and the Steelers win. And they way they blew leads because they were tired in the 4th quarter and didn't execute is an abomination. They should have beaten the Cowboys for sure! I was so mad they game because I wanted the Steelers and Redskins to make the playoffs and the Steelers blowing that lead put that dream in serious jeopardy.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Quote:

Plus this year we might actually get some playing time from LAST year's rookie class...DD, Adams, maybe Ta'amu. And we'll surely (health permitting) get some playing time from our top three rounds this year as well.

If we can just avoid losing stupid games we have no business losing, like we did last year (Browns, Raiders, Titans), then we're back in the playoff hunt. So yeah, we're in pretty good shape, I'd say. We lost Lewis and Wallace, but Allen should be able to fill Lewis' void, so Wallace was our only REALLY big loss.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
mosteelers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they cut Dwyer then and send the message about being in shape. Its not like he brings us anything unusual anyway.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just really don't see how the Steelers are even the third least talented team in the division. There young guys who are question marks on both lines, but for the most part they were high draft picks at positions that have a high hit percentage. If Heyward and McClendon step-up on the DL, the defense is hands down the best in the division. The Bengals still look to be hamstrung with the third best QB, which counts for a lot.

If Gronkowski can't go for the Pats, that is an offense in transition. They are counting on rookie WR's and a guy with some pretty shaky health history. Brady will still get it done, but that offense shouldn't be as dominant as in years past.

The Broncos can be regular season champs again, but I personally don't trust 37 year old Peyton Manning to go into a cold weather environment come the post-season. Unlike in Indy, he doesn't have a comfy dome to look forward to with home field.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I just really don't see how the Steelers are even the third least talented team in the division. There young guys who are question marks on both lines, but for the most part they were high draft picks at positions that have a high hit percentage. If Heyward and McClendon step-up on the DL, the defense is hands down the best in the division. The Bengals still look to be hamstrung with the third best QB, which counts for a lot.

If Gronkowski can't go for the Pats, that is an offense in transition. They are counting on rookie WR's and a guy with some pretty shaky health history. Brady will still get it done, but that offense shouldn't be as dominant as in years past.

The Broncos can be regular season champs again, but I personally don't trust 37 year old Peyton Manning to go into a cold weather environment come the post-season. Unlike in Indy, he doesn't have a comfy dome to look forward to with home field.

Talent is highly subjective, especially the amount one has....but its definitely arguable that we are 3rd in that category....at least in terms of whats on the roster....

QB - 1. Steelers 2. Ravens 3. Bengals 4. Browns

Not even arguable really.

RB

1. Ravens 2. Browns 3/4 - Steelers and Bengals

Ravens are the only team with a proven quality back. Richardson is more talented than any back on the Steelers and Bengals, but still largely unproven, and the Steelers and Bengals are about neck and neck

WR/TE

1. Bengals 2. Steelers 3/4 - Ravens and Browns

AJ Green puts the Bengals way up there. They also have some other good guys, especially if you factor in TE. Steelers have a pretty deep WR unit even without Wallace., plus Heath Ravens only really have Torrey Smith and Dennis Pitta, and the Browns only really have Josh Gordon, who still needs work...although Greg Little will be a good one IMO.

OLine

1. Browns 2. Bengals 3. Ravens 4. Steelers

Again...not really debatable. Maybe you could switch the Ravens and Bengals, but I wouldnt.

DLine

1. Bengals 2. Ravens 3. Steelers 4. Browns

Bengals have amazing depth on the DL. Ravens have Ngata which puts them over us. Steelers is somewhat average right now (especially without Snack) and the Browns have talent, but it hasnt come together there yet.

LB

1/2 Steelers and Ravens - 3/4 Browns and Bengals

Timmons and Woodley = Suggs and Doom in terms of quality. Both have a rookie coming in....Steelers have questions at OLB and Ravens have them at ILB. Browns and Bengals both have one LB who has proven it more than a year....but Harrison is old and has never played in the 43...so its hard to say.

Secondary

1. Steelers 2.Browns 3. Bengals 4.Ravens

Honestly, this is kind of a weakness for all 4, but I feel like the Steelers is the most complete

CB1 1. Webb 2. Haden 3. Taylor 4. Hall
CB2...we all have issues there, but IMO 1. C. Allen 2. Jimmy Smith 3. Dre Kirkpatrick/Terrance Newman 4. Buster Skrine????
FS 1. Ryan Clark 2. Reggie Nelson 3. Michael Huff 4. ????
SS 1. Troy (when healthy) 2. TJ Ward 3/4. Rookies I think

All the teams have at least a decent CB1, but beyond that, Ill take our guys at every position. Allen is largely unproven, but Jimmy Smith sucks, and Dre Kirkpatrick hasnt shown much yet...and Newman is falling off.

So yes...its debatable. Its not nearly as big of a gap as some claim, especially since Ben is easily better than the Bengals and Browns QB and better than Flacco.

Our questions in the trenches and pass rush are the biggest issues we have, but those are big issues.

treat88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just mind numbing to me that a professional sports organization somehow didn't emphasize being fit previously.

Shouldn't it always be a priority to have your athletes in peak possible condition at this level?

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
It is just mind numbing to me that a professional sports organization somehow didn't emphasize being fit previously.

Shouldn't it always be a priority to have your athletes in peak possible condition at this level?

Well, I dont think it was that they didnt take it serious previously....I just think they are going that extra mile....beyond the typical fitness test they usually get when they arrive at camp.

It reality, its the players responsibilities to stay in shape.

treat88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Well, I dont think it was that they didnt take it serious previously....I just think they are going that extra mile....beyond the typical fitness test they usually get when they arrive at camp.

Agreed with it being the players responsibility generally.

I just don't understand why as professional athletes and as an organizational philosophy there should ever be an extra mile to go.

It should be gone as a matter of habit every season.

I don't know...I guess I have a different idea of what it means to be a professional athlete than the actual reality is.

To me admitting there is even an extra mile that can be gone indicates either the coaching staff or the players allowed complacency to set in.

Not trying to sound like a fanatic or anything.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't particularly like the comparing of positional groups across teams. If you are going to match teams up, shouldn't it be the guys they are going to play against?

We have had the arguments on some of the young guys on the Steelers around here. I have a bit more optimism with Gilbert/Worilds. The question marks won't be answered until the season starts. I think the Steelers OL could be as good as any in the division next year. Foster is the only guy who wasn't a recent 1st or 2nd round draft choice.

The rankings for TE's and WR's aren't going to matter much when Dalton is unable to get his guys the football. Big reason Dalton has struggled against the Steelers is Green has been taken out of those games. Maybe they will unleash some devastating two TE set, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:

Not a huge difference here, but I think Haden is being overrated (going back to the topic in the Gen forum about the AFCN). I would put him 4th personally. I would take Hall, Webb and Taylor (at least for next year) over him.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:

I just don't understand why as professional athletes and as an organizational philosophy there should ever be an extra mile to go.

I don't know...I guess I have a different idea of what it means to be a professional athlete than the actual reality is.

To me admitting there is even an extra mile that can be gone indicates either the coaching staff or the players allowed complacency to set in.

Well, there will always seem like there is more that couldve been done, especially when a team isnt doing well.

These matters werent an issue when we were winning, even though the methods probably werent too much different from last year.

Down years like that make it seem like drastic changes are needed. Methods that worked before suddenly dont work as well, or as you stated, players get complacent when they werent before.

The coaches and staff absolutely need to up their game, but the players need to do their part as well. Last year seemed like a total team failure. This team showed little heart last year....they played as individuals and not a team. The coaches need to get them focused and the players need to have a singular goal.

I know I sound like a cliche football speech here, but its true.

Bottom line....this is just one of many changes that need to be made if this team wants to get back to where they want to be.

And honestly, I think beyond just making sure the players are in shape, they are making sure they are flexible and less prone to injury....something that, I agree, they have needed to address for awhile.

popie70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:

I agree that if a team isn't in shape than that is just a organizational problem. But part of it might be what they emphasize in their strength and conditioning sessions. This might not apply to the pros, but I know at the college level offseason programs can be tailored to primarily increase strength, cardio, whatever the coaches felt was laking during the season. So it could be that last season the steelers emphasized more strength and muscle building and now the focus is geared towards better cardio/stamina.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I don't particularly like the comparing of positional groups across teams. If you are going to match teams up, shouldn't it be the guys they are going to play against?

We have had the arguments on some of the young guys on the Steelers around here. I have a bit more optimism with Gilbert/Worilds. The question marks won't be answered until the season starts. I think the Steelers OL could be as good as any in the division next year. Foster is the only guy who wasn't a recent 1st or 2nd round draft choice.

The rankings for TE's and WR's aren't going to matter much when Dalton is unable to get his guys the football. Big reason Dalton has struggled against the Steelers is Green has been taken out of those games. Maybe they will unleash some devastating two TE set, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:

Not a huge difference here, but I think Haden is being overrated (going back to the topic in the Gen forum about the AFCN). I would put him 4th personally. I would take Hall, Webb and Taylor (at least for next year) over him.

Well, there is no perfect method for comparing teams on paper. So no comparison anyone does will be indisputable, especially since...as I stated, talent is very subjective.

Also, I wasnt comparing how the teams matched up head to head....just looking at the positional talent and how they compared to each other.

Obviously beyond comparing positional talent, you can compare how those positions matchup with the units they will be going against, but I wasnt going that in depth. If you want to...go for it.

In the end, despite what some claim, the Steelers are right in the mix with the Ravens and Bengals. That is obviously contingent on Ben being healthy, but beyond Ben, the talent is still there, even some of our losses.

Thats where people seem to be ignorant....the fact that the Steelers have traditionally been one of the best teams at filling holes, especially after down years.

SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year the Steelers weren't anymore unfit I believe in previous years. But with mounting injuries the teams fitness and healthy came in to question. So to potentially avoid having another injury filled season they are taking all the steps necessary to get the upper hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: