Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets sign former Browns TE Kellen Winslow to 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't want us to sign either guy? We won't be a winning team this year. I'd rather see what we have in our guys than sign older, washed up vets. I'd be down for signing someone like Dallas Clark to mentor the younger TE's, but Kellen doesn't come across as the mentoring type of guy. Also, we don't need Sims-Walker. Let's see if younger guys and rookies step up before adding a vet.

I'm not that hyped about Sims-Walker. But I couldn't complain if we picked up Winslow if he proves his health and talent. I wouldn't want my organization to have that " We won't be a winning team this year" attitude going into any season. We will probably sign him for 1 year, and hayden & Cumberland will still get their chance to prove themselves through out the season.

Think of Winslow as insurance just in case Hayden & Cumberland don't pan out this year. He won't cost much. If Hayden & Winslow are good, then we can run two TE sets.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't want us to sign either guy? We won't be a winning team this year. I'd rather see what we have in our guys than sign older, washed up vets. I'd be down for signing someone like Dallas Clark to mentor the younger TE's, but Kellen doesn't come across as the mentoring type of guy. Also, we don't need Sims-Walker. Let's see if younger guys and rookies step up before adding a vet.

I'm not that hyped about Sims-Walker. But I couldn't complain if we picked up Winslow if he proves his health and talent. I wouldn't want my organization to have that " We won't be a winning team this year" attitude going into any season. We will probably sign him for 1 year, and hayden & Cumberland will still get their chance to prove themselves through out the season.

Think of Winslow as insurance just in case Hayden & Cumberland don't pan out this year. He won't cost much. If Hayden & Winslow are good, then we can run two TE sets.
It's not a "we won't be a winning team this year" attitude; it's a "Let's see what we have in our guys this year" attitude. Again, I personally don't want Kellen. I'd rather have Dallas Clark and let him at least mentor the younger TE's.

Props to JMG on the sig
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

It's not a "we won't be a winning team this year" attitude; it's a "Let's see what we have in our guys this year" attitude. Again, I personally don't want Kellen. I'd rather have Dallas Clark and let him at least mentor the younger TE's.

I wouldn't have had a problem with Clark either. Idzik is trying not to give Sanchez & Rex a reason to blame the talent on the roster for lack of wins. So he's just bringing in potential talent to each position. The younger guys will still get their opportunities to show their skill because Winslow will be rotated until he can show he can last health wise.

I don't see anything wrong with what you are saying. I'm just explaining why I think this could be a good move. I wouldn't consider him to be a fantasy football pick up, but someone that can contribute as the #1 or #2 if Hayden was to be a good player.
Idzik4president

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:

Quite honestly who would clark even be mentoring? Cumberland will never be a starting tight end and Hayden Smith is a raw project. Its not like we have this rookie coming in with great intangibles but needs to be taught the system and the ins and out of the nfl. Dont get me wrong I think having a veteran can be key but our motto is competition and we are bringing in the best guys to compete. Allowing a guy like Stephen Hill to compete with terrible players like clyde gates and obomanu isnt going to help him one bit. I think last year was a prime example of us putting to much faith in Hill and putting him in to quick. We need wide receiver help bad anyway, our two quarterbacks are playing against a top ten defense in practice and they are looking like crap. Part of that has to do with ZERO seperation and drops. Holmes is going to be on the PUP for training camp so we need help there.

These are both two low risk high reward type players that we need at this point. As far as this season goes, we are going to be a good football team. We got a lot better on the offensive line and at running back. We also have a new system which is extremely similar to the one Sanchez played in at USC. I know that everyone likes to hate on Sanchez but I think hes the best quarterback on the roster and I expect him to play better this year. I know we will play good defense and as long as our offense can be better which it probably will, then I see us having a good season.

Last, I never liked Geno Smith as a prospect and since he became a Jet, I want to like him and say hes going to be good, but hes just not going to be. Thank god we took him in the 2nd round, because I have a feeling hes going to be a disappointment for us. Thats why Im hoping so badly that Sanchez can find a way to be successful in this offense and get better.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

Remember when we tried that last year at the WR position...and got severely burned?

It's still Rex's decision on who is atop the depth charts...if he wants to see Cumblerand or Hayden then we'll see them...if he wants to see K2 then we'll see him. Dude hasn't even signed with us yet. It's simply a tryout
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why everyone wants to see the young guys and I'm on board with that but if they can't beat out a guy with bad knees and a guy who hasn't played a full year since 2010 then maybe they aren't as good as we are all expecting.

Got to earn your job in camp, that's been Idzik's plan all along and TE/WR had the least competition. He's just sticking to his plan, bring in competition and may the best man win, whether he's a rookie or a vet.

I just hope the younger guys can win the jobs.

Props to Mack on the sig
kilahchris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:

I do not think Kellen Winslow Jr is a washed up veteran. The guy brings alot of upside. If he is healthy is compares well to Dustin Keller if not better.

A few years ago the guy had like 94 receptions for the browns. If he is healthy he can help out alot on offense
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
I understand why everyone wants to see the young guys and I'm on board with that but if they can't beat out a guy with bad knees and a guy who hasn't played a full year since 2010 then maybe they aren't as good as we are all expecting.

Got to earn your job in camp, that's been Idzik's plan all along and TE/WR had the least competition. He's just sticking to his plan, bring in competition and may the best man win, whether he's a rookie or a vet.

I just hope the younger guys can win the jobs.

As long as everyone starts out even and they all get a chance, i agree with this.

I'm really hoping that the young guys win. I'd much rather see Rogers, Spadola, Davis and/or White than Obomanu, Gates or Sims-Walker.

At least there's a chance (slim) that one of the kids can become a Chrebet, Cruz or Welker.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else feel like Gates is just pitiful?

I have no idea why the guy gets so much love from the coaching staff sometimes
green24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
Does anyone else feel like Gates is just pitiful?

I have no idea why the guy gets so much love from the coaching staff sometimes

He wasn't completely awful last year. He deserves to have a leg up this year, but his roster spot should not be guaranteed.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Jets sign TE Kellen Winslow to one-year deal.

http://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/345648773940248576
Tom Brady Tribute
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray? Don't get me wrong, it's the right move, but it just goes to show how depleted the talent on offense is that this guy stands out in Jet's minicamp.

I hope the Jets realize they have to make a move for a WR before the season starts. They can't rely on Holmes being healthy, and holding our breath that Clyde Gates will be available is a pretty depressing reality. If the Jets are ever going to get an accurate evaluation of Sanchez and Smith, they need to give these guys some options to throw to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like Cumberland. He was looking good before the injury and really spent last season getting back to form.

I think he's going to be a solid starting TE.

- Cliff Burton
sharpy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sometimes you have to look at a players underlying motivation. I believe he wants a chance to prove he is still a valuable commodity in the NFL. He has a young family which I'm positive will give him motivation. He might not pan out but the fact he wants to try says something. I have a funny feeling that Idzik played a big role in this decision!
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpy wrote:
I think sometimes you have to look at a players underlying motivation. I believe he wants a chance to prove he is still a valuable commodity in the NFL. He has a young family which I'm positive will give him motivation. He might not pan out but the fact he wants to try says something. I have a funny feeling that Idzik played a big role in this decision!

Yea, he signed him.

I'm sure there's minimal money involved, so it's low risk, and a chance of a decent reward. If he can stay healthy, he might get some reps.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: