Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Niles Paul learned from last season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I mean in full disclosure here, here are Paul's and Hankerson's hand sizes:

Niles Paul: 8 7/8"- basically 9 inches
Hankerson: 10 5/8"- so 10.5 inches

So are people really telling me that an inch and a half matters when you're catching the ball?

Catching the ball has more to do with how soft your hands are, getting them into the right positions, and concentration than it does with hand size. Scouts totally overblow the size if ones hands.

You are adding to Paul's hands and subtracting from Hank's to try and prove your point.
The difference is 1/4" more than you are representing. So the difference becomes 1 3/4"-- By your logic that is basically two inches

So you tell me: Does 2 more inches make a difference when catching the ball??? Sounds very significant to me-- That's about HALF A FINGER bigger

But I do agree about concentration and soft hands. Just quit trying to work the numbers and you seem more legit
I've been trying to find out how big moss' hands are all morning. My guess is that they're around the size of Paul's. big hands can help when being a receiver, no doubt, that really wasn't my point but its more about concentration and soft hands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

So are people really telling me that an inch and a half matters when you're catching the ball?

Catching the ball has more to do with how soft your hands are, getting them into the right positions, and concentration than it does with hand size. Scouts totally overblow the size if ones hands.

You are adding to Paul's hands and subtracting from Hank's to try and prove your point.
The difference is 1/4" more than you are representing. So the difference becomes 1 3/4"-- By your logic that is basically two inches

So you tell me: Does 2 more inches make a difference when catching the ball??? Sounds very significant to me-- That's about HALF A FINGER bigger

But I do agree about concentration and soft hands. Just quit trying to work the numbers and you seem more legit
I've been trying to find out how big moss' hands are all morning. My guess is that they're around the size of Paul's. big hands can help when being a receiver, no doubt, that really wasn't my point but its more about concentration and soft hands.

Using this site as an example of measuring hand size, my hand size 8 1/2" inches. I'm about Moss' height (perhaps a bit shorter).

Paul's height at 2011 Combine = 6'0 7/8"
Paul's hand size at 2011 Combine = 8 7/8"

If Paul has 3 1/2" or more of height on me, but only 3/8" bigger hands, he's got small hands.

By contrast:
Hankerson's height at 2011 Combine = 6' 1 1/2"
Hankerson's hand size at 2011 Combine = 10 5/8"

5/8" difference in height, 1 3/4" hand size difference
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Using this site as an example of measuring hand size, my hand size 8 1/2" inches. I'm about Moss' height (perhaps a bit shorter).

If Paul has 3 1/2" or more of height on me, but only 3/8" bigger hands, he's got small hands.

By contrast:

Yes, but that's still not the reason Paul has struggled catching the ball. People use his hand size as the explanation for his dropping passes all the time and its way more complicated than just that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:

By contrast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_bE7g2wqM
Brian23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
He was fine blocking inline, his issue was coming out and catching the balls.

He's a fine blocking TE, imo. He's got [inappropriate/removed] hands...
i guess that's the million dollar question, is it Paul's Hands holding him back or was he just so raw at TE that he was never comfortable with the routes and catching the ball from different angles than what he did at wr.

I can't wait to find out

Its his hands. He had a song made for him at Nebraska about how bad his hands are...
well why did we draft him then?

Solid return man, very good gunner, and 4 years of experience as a punt and kick returner, and a gunner. You're not generally too picky with your late 5th round picks.

I hear you but if its a wr, you'd like them to be able to catch.

My hope is that last year was just a transition/learning year, really a rookie year for a raw TE and he runs better routes and catches better this year.

Well, it isn't that he can't catch. He just has major consistency issues with his concentration when catching the ball. It isn't like there aren't any successful WRs with similar problems.

I think he's got really small hands, which is another issue.
I just really don't think that's it, it's more concentration. I mean Moss doesn't seem to have big hands to me, Hank has huge hands but I think at this point most would agree Moss has more consistent hands than the rest of our wrs.

When the bare minimum for a receiver is 9.5, yes.

An inch and a half is a LOT of hand...
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't hurt Sanatana Moss... And I'm sure several great wrs who are 5'10 and under had the same size hands. It's an issue but nit the main one, the main issue is being used to the TE position and what he should do in the passing game , improving his concentration and getting used to catching the ball when he's running shorter routes and the ball gets to him quicker.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Hasn't hurt Sanatana Moss... And I'm sure several great wrs who are 5'10 and under had the same size hands. It's an issue but nit the main one, the main issue is being used to the TE position and what he should do in the passing game , improving his concentration and getting used to catching the ball when he's running shorter routes and the ball gets to him quicker.

Two things:
1. Short receivers have a harder time making it in the NFL. They need serious speed to get a chance. So a guy like Santana Moss made it in spite of his hand size.

2. As a case in point, Tavon Austin has incredible speed (4.34 40, 4.01 short shuttle). He's also got 9 1/8" hands, or half an inch bigger than Paul.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: