Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Niles Paul learned from last season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: What Niles Paul learned from last season Reply with quote

http://wordpress.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/?utm_source=Washington%20Examiner:%20Redskins%20Newsletter%20-%2006/07/2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Washington%20Examiner:%20Reskins%20Newsletter

Quote:
Paul is one of the most competitive Redskins, which is why he makes a fantastic special teams performer as a gunner.“The balls were coming at me completely different. It’s different routes and a different route tree. I’m so used to running routes outside. I’ve never even played slot before in my life. As soon as you turn around, the ball is on you. But no excuses. As an ex-receiver, I have to make those catches. Now I’m in tight running routes. It was just getting comfortable and getting my confidence back up. That’s what I was able to do this offseason.”

“For the most part, it’s a lot of thinking at tight end,” Paul said. “We always say besides the QB, tight end is one of the most difficult positions on the field. A lot of times last year, I had to stay in and block and if the man falls off, I have to get out and go on the route. So it’s a lot of thinking. … I know what’s going on now. I know my footwork, I know my routes, I know what they expect of me and I know where I have to be.”

4. Paul also learned he had to get stronger. Paul said he’ll never weigh more than his current weight of 234 pounds. But he did add strength. It was a must.

“Last year, guys were humongous and it could be a bit intimidating when you got a big guy like DeMarcus Ware, who gets his hands on you and then just flings you,” Paul said. “This year, I made it a point to become stronger. I lifted so heavily this offseason. The last time I did this was my senior year in college. You can see it on the field even though we don’t have pads on, Ryan Kerrigan said, ‘You’re doing a hell of a job blocking this year. You’re so hard to get off now.’ I feel that much stronger.”

So Paul thought he could just rely on his athleticism last season because he was a WR moving to TE. He didn't do well blocking on he end of the line but knows he must improve on hat and eliminate the drops. He also has to improve on being closer to the qb when being thrown a pass, he was thinking too much, wasn't used to the routes but he's been working on that all offseason. Let's hope he improves.

As John said, he's already a fierce competitor who's agressive, which shows up when he's a gunner on punt coverage.

Ryan Kerrigan says he's improved as blocker, I can't wait to see him play.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was fine blocking inline, his issue was coming out and catching the balls.

He's a fine blocking TE, imo. He's got [inappropriate/removed] hands...
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:

i guess that's the million dollar question, is it Paul's Hands holding him back or was he just so raw at TE that he was never comfortable with the routes and catching the ball from different angles than what he did at wr.

I can't wait to find out

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

i guess that's the million dollar question, is it Paul's Hands holding him back or was he just so raw at TE that he was never comfortable with the routes and catching the ball from different angles than what he did at wr.

I can't wait to find out

Its his hands. He had a song made for him at Nebraska about how bad his hands are...
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

Its his hands. He had a song made for him at Nebraska about how bad his hands are...
well why did we draft him then?

Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

Solid return man, very good gunner, and 4 years of experience as a punt and kick returner, and a gunner. You're not generally too picky with your late 5th round picks.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
41 catches, 542 yards, 4 TDs
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

Solid return man, very good gunner, and 4 years of experience as a punt and kick returner, and a gunner. You're not generally too picky with your late 5th round picks.

I hear you but if its a wr, you'd like them to be able to catch.

My hope is that last year was just a transition/learning year, really a rookie year for a raw TE and he runs better routes and catches better this year.

Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

My hope is that last year was just a transition/learning year, really a rookie year for a raw TE and he runs better routes and catches better this year.

Well, it isn't that he can't catch. He just has major consistency issues with his concentration when catching the ball. It isn't like there aren't any successful WRs with similar problems.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
41 catches, 542 yards, 4 TDs
Brian23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

We needed WRs. And he made enough plays that the highlight real Shanny saw encouraged him to draft him.

Also -really- helps that as a blocker, Shanny can't ask for more from him. That's one of the first things Mike wants from his WRs.
Brian23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

Well, it isn't that he can't catch. He just has major consistency issues with his concentration when catching the ball. It isn't like there aren't any successful WRs with similar problems.

I think he's got really small hands, which is another issue.
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

We needed WRs. And he made enough plays that the highlight real Shanny saw encouraged him to draft him.

Also -really- helps that as a blocker, Shanny can't ask for more from him. That's one of the first things Mike wants from his WRs.

BOOM! Laughing That is true.

I was hoping the answer to the thread title was : How To Catch

I see what he means about the ball arriving fast. Seemed like most of the passes his way caught him by total surprise and he couldn't get himself to react fast enough to use his hands before it bounced off them.

Hopefully in the future we get more guys with "soft hands" because his are bricks, but I liked what Kerrigan says about him improving his blocking.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

I definitely agree with that, we have a few on this team who are going into their 3rd year also. All 3 were in the same class.

Hankerson, Paul and Robinson. Well apparently he's been working hard on it all offseason and on getting stronger so he could be a better inline blocker. Lets hope all the hard work pays off. I mean even though he was extremely raw last year, he did have a few huge catches and a touchdown in the first Dallas game.

turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

yep, yep and as we both have eluded to, he's a good special teams player.

turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I can't wait to find out

I think he's got really small hands, which is another issue.
I just really don't think that's it, it's more concentration. I mean Moss doesn't seem to have big hands to me, Hank has huge hands but I think at this point most would agree Moss has more consistent hands than the rest of our wrs.

I mean in full disclosure here, here are Paul's and Hankerson's hand sizes:

Niles Paul: 8 7/8"- basically 9 inches
Hankerson: 10 5/8"- so 10.5 inches

So are people really telling me that an inch and a half matters when you're catching the ball?

Catching the ball has more to do with how soft your hands are, getting them into the right positions, and concentration than it does with hand size. Scouts totally overblow the size if ones hands.

DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

I mean in full disclosure here, here are Paul's and Hankerson's hand sizes:

Niles Paul: 8 7/8"- basically 9 inches
Hankerson: 10 5/8"- so 10.5 inches

So are people really telling me that an inch and a half matters when you're catching the ball?

Catching the ball has more to do with how soft your hands are, getting them into the right positions, and concentration than it does with hand size. Scouts totally overblow the size if ones hands.

You are adding to Paul's hands and subtracting from Hank's to try and prove your point.
The difference is 1/4" more than you are representing. So the difference becomes 1 3/4"-- By your logic that is basically two inches

So you tell me: Does 2 more inches make a difference when catching the ball??? Sounds very significant to me-- That's about HALF A FINGER bigger

But I do agree about concentration and soft hands. Just quit trying to work the numbers and you seem more legit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: