Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns WR Josh Gordon suspended for 2 games by NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MalcolmBrown


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 656
Location: 2014 Adopt a Brownie: Jim Dray: 7 Receptions, 91 Yards (13.0 ypc), 1 TD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[inappropriate/removed] happens.

Nobody has a monopoly on bad decisions. My 61 y/o mother is still learning about life.

Is Josh Gordon stupid? Maybe a lil dumb, yes. Am I disappointed? A little, yes. The details aren't very clear, and I'm sure it is to protect Gordon as much as they can. I'd be a hypocrite tho to get that upset with Gordon, because I get randomly drug tested for my job, and it doesn't stop me. You can put away the microscope.

We have a young team, and we keep getting younger. I'm not gonna go so far as some talking heads that say dudes in college are "kids" and that they don't know better, but Gordon is 22, was in trouble in college, and didn't even graduate. I do not expect him to be a full grown professional adult, living mistake free from here on out, when he's gettin a fistful of cash every week. Yes I hope this is the last of his troubles, but it doesn't make him a bad dude, he just might not have a very long career as a pro football player.

When the story broke I pictured all the groaning and bellyaching and now i'm gonna have to read and hear about it every time someone talks about the Browns, either that or the Haslam/Pilot-J stuff.

I'm just gonna move on.
_________________
"You mean...this ain't Malcolm Browns car...? ...Damn...my bad..."

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgX


Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 10959
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
I, like many Americans, are subject to drug testing for my job. Why should football players be above that? Hard to feel bad for someone like Gordon. It's not that hard to follow the NFL's policy. They disseminate so much information on the expectations to begin with. Gordon had several chances in college and multiple now in the NFL. He's just not very intelligent.


There are a lot of "he is stupid" responses. He may very well be stupid, but substance abuse problems certainly aren't only an issue for unintelligent people. He did make an unwise choice, whether he forgot to inform the NFL of a prescription, or if he opted to drink the drank. A lot of so called "geniuses" of their field have succumbed to the temptation of alcohol and drugs, costing them not only money and careers, but sometimes their life.

I just wanted to remind people of that, instead of always blaming them for being stupid. We are a proud group and don't want just anyone who makes a bad choice lumped in with us.


Well said, Thomas.
_________________
Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee



Smack on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31350
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
I, like many Americans, are subject to drug testing for my job. Why should football players be above that? Hard to feel bad for someone like Gordon. It's not that hard to follow the NFL's policy. They disseminate so much information on the expectations to begin with. Gordon had several chances in college and multiple now in the NFL. He's just not very intelligent.


There are a lot of "he is stupid" responses. He may very well be stupid, but substance abuse problems certainly aren't only an issue for unintelligent people. He did make an unwise choice, whether he forgot to inform the NFL of a prescription, or if he opted to drink the drank. A lot of so called "geniuses" of their field have succumbed to the temptation of alcohol and drugs, costing them not only money and careers, but sometimes their life.

I just wanted to remind people of that, instead of always blaming them for being stupid. We are a proud group and don't want just anyone who makes a bad choice lumped in with us.


I get what you are saying... But IMO he was being stupid! It's not like he had no idea of the NFL rules on substances. I'm pretty sure every guy on the team knew the rules last year because of what Haden went through.

He is also labeled stupid book because this isn't his first time in trouble with drugs. If it was once than I would give him a free pass but this isn't the first time and he knew what he was getting himself into IMO.

Also I feel like the doctor would of told him what his meds would have so he could clear. When it's a high profile patient the doc would take extra care of him and would be use to to seeing professional athletes
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
NateDawg


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 14788
Location: Hilliard
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was CLEARLY being stupid and not sure how anyone can logically argue otherwise. If you screw up once, okay, don't do it again and move on. This was a theme for the guy throughout college, and he's already had a couple hiccups in a short time now in the NFL. The information is out there as to how you can avoid getting in trouble with the league. He wasn't intelligent enough to avoid his own temptations, and he's paying a 2 game price for it. Immature, stupid behavior.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bucketheadsdad


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5038
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/06/cleveland_browns_wr_josh_gordo_1.html

According to MKC's article, this was for codeine, and he is facing a year "banishment" if he gets another positive test.
_________________

2014 1st Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award...#FREEJOSHGORDON! Adopt a Brownie 2014: Jabaal Sheard 17 tackles, 2 sacks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DaWg_LB.


Joined: 02 Dec 2005
Posts: 4676
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmBrown wrote:
[inappropriate/removed] happens.

Nobody has a monopoly on bad decisions. My 61 y/o mother is still learning about life.

Is Josh Gordon stupid? Maybe a lil dumb, yes. Am I disappointed? A little, yes. The details aren't very clear, and I'm sure it is to protect Gordon as much as they can. I'd be a hypocrite tho to get that upset with Gordon, because I get randomly drug tested for my job, and it doesn't stop me. You can put away the microscope.

We have a young team, and we keep getting younger. I'm not gonna go so far as some talking heads that say dudes in college are "kids" and that they don't know better, but Gordon is 22, was in trouble in college, and didn't even graduate. I do not expect him to be a full grown professional adult, living mistake free from here on out, when he's gettin a fistful of cash every week. Yes I hope this is the last of his troubles, but it doesn't make him a bad dude, he just might not have a very long career as a pro football player.

When the story broke I pictured all the groaning and bellyaching and now i'm gonna have to read and hear about it every time someone talks about the Browns, either that or the Haslam/Pilot-J stuff.

I'm just gonna move on.


Well Said Mr. Brown...
_________________
-A team is built through the Draft.

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20909
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you get randomly tested at work, yet still decide to do it???
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaWg_LB.


Joined: 02 Dec 2005
Posts: 4676
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
mtmmike wrote:
this guy is stupid talk about a 100,000,0000 million dollar joint can we get a 3rd for him from seattle.


wat


LMAO...I was looking for a clip of Hangover Part 2 when Allen falls out of bed from the top bunk and and says "wat" llike he's surprised....LOL
_________________
-A team is built through the Draft.

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EL Brownso


Joined: 14 Nov 2009
Posts: 989
Location: Alamogordo, NM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketheadsdad wrote:
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/06/cleveland_browns_wr_josh_gordo_1.html

According to MKC's article, this was for codeine, and he is facing a year "banishment" if he gets another positive test.


From what I read the two game suspension is due to a second strike. However, they said something about he possibly came into the league with a strike due to his prior conduct during college. Hopefully this is a kick in the [inappropriate/removed] and he makes better decision.

Cough syrup with codiene sounds like a viable story, but we will never know the truth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mtmmike


Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 651
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
I don't know what the case is, but I suppose it's possible that it was something that was prescribed since he only received a two game suspension.

While this sucks, some of you really need to calm down. It's two games. And it's not like the Browns are competing for a playoff spot this year. Yes, I would like Gordon to get as much playing time as possible, but it's not the end of the world. Let's just hope something like this doesn't happen again.

good post I apologize this is going to cost him millions though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BwickBrownie


Joined: 18 Sep 2007
Posts: 1448
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article by DBN that calls the credibility of Gordon's codeine claim into account and an overall analysis of where Gordon is at right now...
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/6/14/4428588/thoughts-on-josh-gordon-and-his-suspension


Here are the bullet points:
Quote:
Let's start with the actual list of banned substances from the NFLPA website. I took at least 3 in-depth looks through this list and there's no reference of the opiate codeine, or 3-methylmorphine (a natural isomer of methylated morphine).

Quote:
Then there's always Mikel Leshoure's double arrest for marijuana which resulted in almost an identical punishment to that of our very own Josh Gordon

Quote:
So if codeine isn't on the list; PED's are treated with 4 game suspensions; and there's lots of examples of players failing for marijuana and getting 2 game suspensions, what was it he really tested positive for? ...It's become increasingly difficult for me to believe Josh Gordon's story, even though I really want to. I think he knew exactly what happened, and tried to cover it up.


Finally, he suggests that Gordon needs a veteran mentor, and names Michael Irvin specifically. I love that idea and think the Browns (possibly Alec Sheiner?) should reach out to him asap to get him to talk with Gordon. Either way, this paints a pretty bleak picture of Gordon's future if something doesn't change. Knowingly lying about why you tested positive doesn't show learning and definitely doesn't show you "don't have a problem with sobriety".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pmk


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 12067
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
Great article by DBN that calls the credibility of Gordon's codeine claim into account and an overall analysis of where Gordon is at right now...
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/6/14/4428588/thoughts-on-josh-gordon-and-his-suspension


Here are the bullet points:
Quote:
Let's start with the actual list of banned substances from the NFLPA website. I took at least 3 in-depth looks through this list and there's no reference of the opiate codeine, or 3-methylmorphine (a natural isomer of methylated morphine).

Quote:
Then there's always Mikel Leshoure's double arrest for marijuana which resulted in almost an identical punishment to that of our very own Josh Gordon

Quote:
So if codeine isn't on the list; PED's are treated with 4 game suspensions; and there's lots of examples of players failing for marijuana and getting 2 game suspensions, what was it he really tested positive for? ...It's become increasingly difficult for me to believe Josh Gordon's story, even though I really want to. I think he knew exactly what happened, and tried to cover it up.


Finally, he suggests that Gordon needs a veteran mentor, and names Michael Irvin specifically. I love that idea and think the Browns (possibly Alec Sheiner?) should reach out to him asap to get him to talk with Gordon. Either way, this paints a pretty bleak picture of Gordon's future if something doesn't change. Knowingly lying about why you tested positive doesn't show learning and definitely doesn't show you "don't have a problem with sobriety".
Michael "I got arrested for cocaine posession" Irvin? Not so sure he would be the best mentor...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ReggieCamp


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 9370
Location: Canonsburg, PA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article has plenty of merit, but one important point is that the banned substance list that he links in the article is from the old CBA. Unless I'm looking at the wrong one, I don't think the new CBA has a black and white list of banned substances. Also, unless I missed it, I don't see marijuana on the banned list, but it's obviously banned.

I don't trust Gordon as far as I could throw him, but it's still possible that he failed because of codeine. But whether he's lying or not, the important part is that he gets his act together.
_________________
Suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FLAbrownfan


Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 3816
Location: OCA-L.A. , Florida
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
Great article by DBN that calls the credibility of Gordon's codeine claim into account and an overall analysis of where Gordon is at right now...
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/6/14/4428588/thoughts-on-josh-gordon-and-his-suspension


Here are the bullet points:
Quote:
Let's start with the actual list of banned substances from the NFLPA website. I took at least 3 in-depth looks through this list and there's no reference of the opiate codeine, or 3-methylmorphine (a natural isomer of methylated morphine).

Quote:
Then there's always Mikel Leshoure's double arrest for marijuana which resulted in almost an identical punishment to that of our very own Josh Gordon

Quote:
So if codeine isn't on the list; PED's are treated with 4 game suspensions; and there's lots of examples of players failing for marijuana and getting 2 game suspensions, what was it he really tested positive for? ...It's become increasingly difficult for me to believe Josh Gordon's story, even though I really want to. I think he knew exactly what happened, and tried to cover it up.


Finally, he suggests that Gordon needs a veteran mentor, and names Michael Irvin specifically. I love that idea and think the Browns (possibly Alec Sheiner?) should reach out to him asap to get him to talk with Gordon. Either way, this paints a pretty bleak picture of Gordon's future if something doesn't change. Knowingly lying about why you tested positive doesn't show learning and definitely doesn't show you "don't have a problem with sobriety".
Michael "I got arrested for cocaine posession" Irvin? Not so sure he would be the best mentor...


I think he could be a good mentor for that fact, "don't travel down the road I did. But practice and play like me."
_________________

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BwickBrownie


Joined: 18 Sep 2007
Posts: 1448
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
Great article by DBN that calls the credibility of Gordon's codeine claim into account and an overall analysis of where Gordon is at right now...
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/6/14/4428588/thoughts-on-josh-gordon-and-his-suspension


Here are the bullet points:
Quote:
Let's start with the actual list of banned substances from the NFLPA website. I took at least 3 in-depth looks through this list and there's no reference of the opiate codeine, or 3-methylmorphine (a natural isomer of methylated morphine).

Quote:
Then there's always Mikel Leshoure's double arrest for marijuana which resulted in almost an identical punishment to that of our very own Josh Gordon

Quote:
So if codeine isn't on the list; PED's are treated with 4 game suspensions; and there's lots of examples of players failing for marijuana and getting 2 game suspensions, what was it he really tested positive for? ...It's become increasingly difficult for me to believe Josh Gordon's story, even though I really want to. I think he knew exactly what happened, and tried to cover it up.


Finally, he suggests that Gordon needs a veteran mentor, and names Michael Irvin specifically. I love that idea and think the Browns (possibly Alec Sheiner?) should reach out to him asap to get him to talk with Gordon. Either way, this paints a pretty bleak picture of Gordon's future if something doesn't change. Knowingly lying about why you tested positive doesn't show learning and definitely doesn't show you "don't have a problem with sobriety".
Michael "I got arrested for cocaine posession" Irvin? Not so sure he would be the best mentor...


On the contrary... that's why he would be a great mentor. Now, if the suggestion was "Get LT to mentor him!" then I could understand the response, but listen to Irvin's HOF acceptance speech. Heck, listen to any interviews he gives. I listened when Tony Rizzo interviewed him the morning before his inductance and it was, without a doubt, the best football interview I've ever heard. The guy, plain and simple, oozes respect for the game. Yeah, he might be pompous, but he also was an amazing WR and given his past, he could speak to Gordon with a personal insight that would make an impact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group