Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Earl vs Sherman
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Settle it
Earl Thomas
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Richard Sherman
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 27256
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Earl vs Sherman Reply with quote







Who's the seahawks number one player? Who has more of an impact? Who could we least afford to lose?

Let's end this discussion right now
_________________


wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21300
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherm. Earl. Earl.
_________________

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bigjoe0075


Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 2145
Location: Eastern Washinton
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are amazing football players but our CB depth has some potential. If we lost Earl, Margos? Johnson? Would have to take over. Neither are even close to the same guy. Earls speed and instincts allow us to play press coverage and have Kam play close to the line for run support. With Earl playing deep center it prevents the huge plays.

While we need both to have a championship roster. I think Earl allows us to do more scheme wise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Plush


Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 1305
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherman
_________________
Mossburg wrote:
I'm an anonymous bum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
union hawk fan


Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 790
Location: Seattle, WA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Earl because he is the player we could least afford to lose out of the two. I say this because of the depth behind Sherman, with players like Thurmond, Maxwell and Simon we could lose him and still have good corner play while I don't think we could say the same if we lost Earl at safety.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 3552
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Earl vs Sherman Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Who's the seahawks number one player? Who has more of an impact? Who could we least afford to lose?

Let's end this discussion right now


Interesting set of questions. I answered the poll just for the first one question, which I think is clearly Richard Sherman for reasons that I've pointed out in the other thread.

I'll make a new explanation for the new questions.

I think Richard Sherman has more of an impact on this football team. On offense, you have Marshawn Lynch setting the tone of how we want to play. On defense, I think Richard Sherman is almost certainly that player. He not only physically dominates his opposition, but he mentally gets into their head and the QB's head. He forces throws his way just by getting the other team frustrated with him, because he knows he can stop them. He's a HUGE reason why our lackluster pass rush reaches the QB so often, like in the Green Bay game. No one questions that a lot of those sacks were coverage sacks. Sherman's game translates over to the pass rush so much, and he's about as solid as they get at the CB position as a perimeter run defender. I think the 1st and 2nd question pretty much coincide with one another.

As far as the 3rd and final question is concerned, I think the answer is easily Earl Thomas. And the answer comes down to who is behind both of these guys. CB is perhaps the deepest position on the entire team. If you lose Richard Sherman, you're getting either Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell, Jeremy Lane, or Tharold Simon, pretty much all players I would be comfortable playing a game or two (assuming Simon plays the way I think he can).

If Earl goes down, you pretty much have Maragos as the only guy that's a natural FS. I don't really trust him starting in any capacity and I think he would get exposed. Jeron Johnson could play there, but he's a natural SS that I would see failing in a full-game role. Earl is a huge part of this defense and we would lose a lot if his leadership was off the field.
_________________
DudeWhat?? wrote:
If I am a starting QB and my back up is Kellen Clemens..i would only have one question...."Turn up for what?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brown_Mamba


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 1707
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best player is Sherman, but Earl makes a bigger impact.

Talent =/= Impact
_________________

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooki


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 10733
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherm is more rounded (and hence better in my book), Earl has more of an impact and he is also the one who we could least afford to lose.

If Earl wasn't in Seattle, Brandon Browner would be on the street and Sherm would not be able to play as much press coverage as he does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirensong


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 1143
Location: Vancouver BC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
Sherm is more rounded (and hence better in my book), Earl has more of an impact and he is also the one who we could least afford to lose.

If Earl wasn't in Seattle, Brandon Browner would be on the street and Sherm would not be able to play as much press coverage as he does.


I'd say the opposite, I believe Earl is more well rounded and can be an elite level safety in nearly every situation. He's proven alot against the run in the last year or 2.

As good as Sherm is, he is strictly a press corner who plays outside. He can't play the nickel. Earl can play pretty much every spot in the secondary at a near pro bowl level.

Earl will be a generational talent, he's the new Ed Reed in my mind and I have HOF expectations for him if he could ever just hold onto the ball haha

Earl allows us to do EVERYTHING we do on D. Without him we can't let Kam do what he does and come up to the line of scrimage the way he does. Earl makes Sherm and especially Browner better, they can be sooooo aggressive because they have Earl over the top to break almost anything up.

Sherm has the stats and the flash, Earl is the most impactfull player in any secondary in the NFL. Yes more than Revis and Sherm, they lock down 1 guy. Earl changes the look and ability of your entire defense.
_________________
L.O.B.- D!CK, BOOM BOOM, ET, BB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooki


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 10733
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Tooki wrote:
Sherm is more rounded (and hence better in my book), Earl has more of an impact and he is also the one who we could least afford to lose.

If Earl wasn't in Seattle, Brandon Browner would be on the street and Sherm would not be able to play as much press coverage as he does.


I'd say the opposite, I believe Earl is more well rounded and can be an elite level safety in nearly every situation. He's proven alot against the run in the last year or 2.

As good as Sherm is, he is strictly a press corner who plays outside. He can't play the nickel. Earl can play pretty much every spot in the secondary at a near pro bowl level.

Earl will be a generational talent, he's the new Ed Reed in my mind and I have HOF expectations for him if he could ever just hold onto the ball haha

Earl allows us to do EVERYTHING we do on D. Without him we can't let Kam do what he does and come up to the line of scrimage the way he does. Earl makes Sherm and especially Browner better, they can be sooooo aggressive because they have Earl over the top to break almost anything up.

Sherm has the stats and the flash, Earl is the most impactfull player in any secondary in the NFL. Yes more than Revis and Sherm, they lock down 1 guy. Earl changes the look and ability of your entire defense.


I gotta disagree about Earl. He is fine nowadays because the league is pass heavy but he would be exposed if every team was a power running offense. Earl would not be a pro bowl SS either (but a starter at worst).

I disagree about impact though. Revis was the key cog in the Jets defense. Yes it functioned fine once he got injured but I attribute that to Rex Ryan and not Antonio Cromartie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirensong


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 1143
Location: Vancouver BC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Tooki wrote:
Sherm is more rounded (and hence better in my book), Earl has more of an impact and he is also the one who we could least afford to lose.

If Earl wasn't in Seattle, Brandon Browner would be on the street and Sherm would not be able to play as much press coverage as he does.


I'd say the opposite, I believe Earl is more well rounded and can be an elite level safety in nearly every situation. He's proven alot against the run in the last year or 2.

As good as Sherm is, he is strictly a press corner who plays outside. He can't play the nickel. Earl can play pretty much every spot in the secondary at a near pro bowl level.

Earl will be a generational talent, he's the new Ed Reed in my mind and I have HOF expectations for him if he could ever just hold onto the ball haha

Earl allows us to do EVERYTHING we do on D. Without him we can't let Kam do what he does and come up to the line of scrimage the way he does. Earl makes Sherm and especially Browner better, they can be sooooo aggressive because they have Earl over the top to break almost anything up.

Sherm has the stats and the flash, Earl is the most impactfull player in any secondary in the NFL. Yes more than Revis and Sherm, they lock down 1 guy. Earl changes the look and ability of your entire defense.


I gotta disagree about Earl. He is fine nowadays because the league is pass heavy but he would be exposed if every team was a power running offense. Earl would not be a pro bowl SS either (but a starter at worst).

I disagree about impact though. Revis was the key cog in the Jets defense. Yes it functioned fine once he got injured but I attribute that to Rex Ryan and not Antonio Cromartie.


Sherm gets hurt, plug in another guy. I attribute that to Carroll but it still means Earl has a much much bigger impact on the team style/dynamic and ability than Sherm does. You take Earl out and we change how we play D at the LOS at the LB lvl and in the secondary. You can count on 1 hand the number of guys who do that much for a team.
_________________
L.O.B.- D!CK, BOOM BOOM, ET, BB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NFL_Announcer


Joined: 01 Apr 2010
Posts: 654
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earl...

As some of you might know I value safety play FAR more than corner play. Safeties are cheaper, cover a wider range, are asked to do more at LOS, etc.

I would take a dominant safety over a dominant corner any day.

Ronnie Lott over Deion Sanders.
David Fulcher over Rod Woodson
And yes, Thomas over Sherman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooki


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 10733
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Tooki wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Tooki wrote:
Sherm is more rounded (and hence better in my book), Earl has more of an impact and he is also the one who we could least afford to lose.

If Earl wasn't in Seattle, Brandon Browner would be on the street and Sherm would not be able to play as much press coverage as he does.


I'd say the opposite, I believe Earl is more well rounded and can be an elite level safety in nearly every situation. He's proven alot against the run in the last year or 2.

As good as Sherm is, he is strictly a press corner who plays outside. He can't play the nickel. Earl can play pretty much every spot in the secondary at a near pro bowl level.

Earl will be a generational talent, he's the new Ed Reed in my mind and I have HOF expectations for him if he could ever just hold onto the ball haha

Earl allows us to do EVERYTHING we do on D. Without him we can't let Kam do what he does and come up to the line of scrimage the way he does. Earl makes Sherm and especially Browner better, they can be sooooo aggressive because they have Earl over the top to break almost anything up.

Sherm has the stats and the flash, Earl is the most impactfull player in any secondary in the NFL. Yes more than Revis and Sherm, they lock down 1 guy. Earl changes the look and ability of your entire defense.


I gotta disagree about Earl. He is fine nowadays because the league is pass heavy but he would be exposed if every team was a power running offense. Earl would not be a pro bowl SS either (but a starter at worst).

I disagree about impact though. Revis was the key cog in the Jets defense. Yes it functioned fine once he got injured but I attribute that to Rex Ryan and not Antonio Cromartie.


Sherm gets hurt, plug in another guy. I attribute that to Carroll but it still means Earl has a much much bigger impact on the team style/dynamic and ability than Sherm does. You take Earl out and we change how we play D at the LOS at the LB lvl and in the secondary. You can count on 1 hand the number of guys who do that much for a team.


I don't disagree with you. The team relies upon his exceptional abilities as a deep cover safety to function. I'm just saying that Earl has his own deficiencies (size) but he makes up for that with his speed. Sherm has his own deficiencies (speed) but he makes up for that with his size.

It's harder to find a safety like ET than a corner like Sherm, mostly because teams are only just now looking at bigger corners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 3552
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
It's harder to find a safety like ET than a corner like Sherm, mostly because teams are only just now looking at bigger corners.


No, no it is not.
_________________
DudeWhat?? wrote:
If I am a starting QB and my back up is Kellen Clemens..i would only have one question...."Turn up for what?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hawksman81


Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 2571
Location: I am the Eyas
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Tooki wrote:
It's harder to find a safety like ET than a corner like Sherm, mostly because teams are only just now looking at bigger corners.


No, no it is not.


It is much, much harder to find an elite 63 cover corner than a safety like ET. He is by far the most overrated player on these boards.
_________________


SaveourSonics wrote:
I love D!ck

JustisM wrote:
Why'd they turn the lights on?
Big Ben is more effective in the dark.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group