Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Running Backs - Can We Visit Them At The Hospital?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warpticon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
RBs are a dime a dozen....every season we see who day players put up a 1000-1200 yards and never hear from them again so if there is one area where personal matter the least it is RB (just look at the recent trend in the NFL draft).

I'm not going to debate the difficulty of reaching 1,000 yards rushing within a 16 game season. There are during the course of a season/playoffs when you do need an effective running game. True the inherent value of a running back in the era of the Pass and Pass Often has decreased. I just fear we are going have moments where its fourth and short and with no faith in the running game, Ray Finkle comes in and misses a 47 yard field goal because the laces were not facing out.

As far as the Offensive line goes sure there are some worries. However, they are not the ones fumbling the ball, auditioning for "Dancing With The Stars" in the backfield, not hitting the hole, going wide when north/south would have had better results. Please tell me how the offensive line is going to hold up when the defense realizes " these guys can't run" and start blitzing like mad.

Just curious, if these are your concerns, then why would you want Reggie Bush back?

Even for all his shortcomings Reggie Bush was a known quantity.

yeah, it was pretty well known after week 4 that if you forced him outside he would try to beat you to the corner, even if a hole opened that he could get positive yards through, and even though he wasn't regularly beating pursuers to the corner and was frequently getting stopped in the backfield/for losses, which is basically exactly what you just expressed concern over. So if your "known quantity" does exactly what you're worried about, what's the point of bringing him back?
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

What if his average goes down to say 4.1 ypc and reaches the end zone 3 times on carries?

Ok, so what if he gets caught smoking pot and retires ?
What if he climbs through some girls window and tells everyone he forgot his helmet in her house.

We can do "what ifs" all day. The point is, you don't have a frame of reference to cause concerns. The last time Lamar Miller was on the field he averaged 4.9 yards a carry. That's the frame of reference I choose to use. It's based in reality. But by no means should you let reality stop you. Speculate on 4.1 yards a carry and 3 tds to your hearts content.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Thomas is on this team because he has value as a 3rd down back.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when those who like to lean in on how they think we are screwed at left tackle, I can't say much in reply. Because our frame of reference was a horrible season. No matter how much I want Martin to duck tape these dudes with a stellar 2013, I can't dispute the buzz kill talk. Because based on 2012 they have every reason to be concerned about 2013

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie bush pass blocking skills are and were very average at best boys.

Daniel Thomas has flaws but is a solid 3rd down back because of his pass blocking skills and above average hands. I am not a big fan of Thomas but also understand we use him wrong he is not a power back wasnt even one in college he excelled in toss sweeps and wildcat plays and screen game but somehow this staff used him in goal line short yardage etc etc. Just a bad draft pick for what we drafted him to do.

Lamar miller. I think he has the goods to get the job done his skill set matches our scheme. I cant confirm this but its just my opinion that a little bit of the reason we didn't see him as much as we liked last year was the shoulder injury he had his senior year and they wanted him to be fully recovered.

If I am worried about anything to do with our RB its who is going to contribute in the pass game
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Thomas is not a great blocker. He and Bush are equally ineffective. The difference between them is that Reggie is a threat with the ball in his hands.

Miller is, in my opinion, every bit as good as either Thomas or Bush, but that isn't saying much at all. We have no real blockers on this team at RB. Clearly its something the coaches aren't putting a premium on.

I have to believe they really view Miller in a favorable light. I am fine with him as a player, and think he has a lot of upside, but I would have invested in a vet to compete with him and hope he wins the job. My issues is any depth chart that involves Daniel Thomas in the top 2. He's played poorly and he already has two significant concussions. The fact that Daniel Thomas stinks, and I believe the Dolphins brass knows it, suggests to me, just how much confidence they have in Miller.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

What if his average goes down to say 4.1 ypc and reaches the end zone 3 times on carries?

What if he climbs through some girls window and tells everyone he forgot his helmet in her house.

We can do "what ifs" all day. The point is, you don't have a frame of reference to cause concerns. The last time Lamar Miller was on the field he averaged 4.9 yards a carry. That's the frame of reference I choose to use. It's based in reality. But by no means should you let reality stop you. Speculate on 4.1 yards a carry and 3 tds to your hearts content.

The reason why I put the figure at 4.1 ypc is because you have Lamar Miller carrying the rock 240 times in 2013. Looking back at 2012 only Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles averaged 4.9 ypc with 240 or more carries. I viewed it more likely that Millers average will drop to more of the median average in the NFL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

The reason why I put the figure at 4.1 ypc is because you have Lamar Miller carrying the rock 240 times in 2013. Looking back at 2012 only Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles averaged 4.9 ypc with 240 or more carries. I viewed it more likely that Millers average will drop to more of the median average in the NFL

I personally have no issue with your estimate of Miller averaging 4.1 ypc.

I'll just warn you to be careful when using the words What if around here......you open yourself up to anything lol.

While I'm OK with us letting Bush go, I think your concern over our RB situation has some Merritt. Although in today's NFL, I think if you have to have question marks at one position then your best off if that position is RB.
Russ57

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Mike G supposed to be a very good blocker? IIRC I heard the word "violent" used to describe his blitz pickup blocking skills.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Daniel Thomas is not a great blocker. He and Bush are equally ineffective. The difference between them is that Reggie is a threat with the ball in his hands.

Miller is, in my opinion, every bit as good as either Thomas or Bush, but that isn't saying much at all. We have no real blockers on this team at RB. Clearly its something the coaches aren't putting a premium on.

I have to believe they really view Miller in a favorable light. I am fine with him as a player, and think he has a lot of upside, but I would have invested in a vet to compete with him and hope he wins the job. My issues is any depth chart that involves Daniel Thomas in the top 2. He's played poorly and he already has two significant concussions. The fact that Daniel Thomas stinks, and I believe the Dolphins brass knows it, suggests to me, just how much confidence they have in Miller.

Gillislee was an excellent blocker in college...Again these are against LSU and Texas A&M two team that sent a crp load of players to the NFL...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Martin could pancake like that Sug wouldn't be so concerned.

I don't think Mike was quite as explosive as Lamar in college but he wasn't chopped liver. If blitz pickup is the deciding factor, Mike may be the guy. All he has to do is prove himself as a pass catcher.

Way more worried about our ability to cover TE's and prevent deep pass plays that our ability to run the ball. Running in short yardage conditions is more on the o-line and has been a weakness for a long time.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillislee was pretty good at blitz pickup in college , but he is currently 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and his contributions, at best, would be as a 3rd down back unless he can make a meteoric rise up the depth chart. Either way, its pretty clear the current regime isn't putting a premium on blocking from the RB position. Miller and Thomas, the current 1 and 2 guys, are marginal blockers at best. Even Javorskie Lane, while big, isn't an overly impressive FB blocker.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Gillislee was pretty good at blitz pickup in college , but he is currently 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and his contributions, at best, would be as a 3rd down back unless he can make a meteoric rise up the depth chart. Either way, its pretty clear the current regime isn't putting a premium on blocking from the RB position. Miller and Thomas, the current 1 and 2 guys, are marginal blockers at best. Even Javorskie Lane, while big, isn't an overly impressive FB blocker.

Gillislee is also a rookie and will need the "contact" version of camp to prove his worth (and move up the depth chart). I would not be surprised at all if he isn't splitting carries with Miller by the time the season starts. He's another one cut runner, but a better blocker.

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

If you've seen the way teams like the Packers, Giants, etc. have treated the RB position over the past few years, a meteoric rise at RB should be expected. Yeah, he could end up being cut, and he also could end up as the starter by season's end. None of our RBs have proven enough to warrant more playing time than their play this year gets them.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second. You guys have depth charts ? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: