Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Running Backs - Can We Visit Them At The Hospital?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Running Backs - Can We Visit Them At The Hospital? Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else is concerned about the running back position but I am. Right now it appears that Lamar Miller will be handling the load. It looks nice on paper that 4.9 average per carry, but he only had 51 carries in 2012. That is a very small sample to translate to a full year. I would have felt better about handing the reigns over to him if also he had more than the 6 total receptions in 2012. Add in his less than average blocking and the running back position is giving me more nightmares than last weeks episode of Game Of Thrones.

The rest of the running backs appear to be fighting for back up positions and not one gives me any solace if Miller fails to produce or goes down with an injury. So far it looks as if Daniel Thomas is next in line and has done really nothing to merit his selection in round two or for that matter even a roster spot. He ended 2012 on injured reserve.

From all the early talk Jonas Gray appears to be next in line. But you really have to wonder if he can take the punishment of an NFL season especially coming out of college with that knee injury. The Dolphins staff is high on him, but they are high on everyone at the running back position. Now when I watch Friday I expect to see the Dolphins staff in the backgroud.

With Mike Gillislee in the mix there is certainly youth at the position and that may be a problem because there is only youth at running back now.

I do believe, the team would have been best served to resign Reggie Bush and gradually increase Lamar Millers role or whoever may have taken a leap at the position than offer hope that youth will prevail.

2013 may not be so much Tannehill, if Miller falters, Thomas is like 2012, Jonas Gray fears getting hurt and the rookies look like rookies. Tannehill or the offensive line may take the blame, however the fault may lie with who lines up behind Tannehill.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our o-line and passing threat will have a much greater impact on the ground game than who is actually toting the rock for us.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to look at it would be Miller was a rookie who was limited in pass blocking yet made the most of his opportunities on the field behind a poor offensive line, and now he's had a full season + two offseasons to work on his game.

Martin improving to maybe average and the possibility of Louis getting healthy by the start of the season will help the run blocking a lot.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Maddog but honestly to me, the success of this Off will come from the Oline far more than
any 1 individual at RB.

The passing games effectiveness in the 4 WR sets & performance of the TEs contributions is the key to
the running gm in my opinion.

I know the red Zone has been an issue of contention for us but then again it falls on the Oline & TEs blocking.

my 2 cents
sug
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's troubling, but if I had to pick one position to have a question mark at, it'd probably be RB. You can have a great rushing team with mediocre/unproven RBs as long as the OL does its job.

The OL, however, does worry me.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBs are a dime a dozen....every season we see who day players put up a 1000-1200 yards and never hear from them again so if there is one area where personal matter the least it is RB (just look at the recent trend in the NFL draft).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick, name the RB who led Green Bay's team in rushing last year?? Who cares? I like Miller and Gillislee better than all of their RB's. They run the ball well because they block well up front and they pass to set up the run. If our passing game is there, then our running game will be just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
RBs are a dime a dozen....every season we see who day players put up a 1000-1200 yards and never hear from them again so if there is one area where personal matter the least it is RB (just look at the recent trend in the NFL draft).

I'm not going to debate the difficulty of reaching 1,000 yards rushing within a 16 game season. There are during the course of a season/playoffs when you do need an effective running game. True the inherent value of a running back in the era of the Pass and Pass Often has decreased. I just fear we are going have moments where its fourth and short and with no faith in the running game, Ray Finkle comes in and misses a 47 yard field goal because the laces were not facing out.

As far as the Offensive line goes sure there are some worries. However, they are not the ones fumbling the ball, auditioning for "Dancing With The Stars" in the backfield, not hitting the hole, going wide when north/south would have had better results. Please tell me how the offensive line is going to hold up when the defense realizes " these guys can't run" and start blitzing like mad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I'm not going to debate the difficulty of reaching 1,000 yards rushing within a 16 game season. There are during the course of a season/playoffs when you do need an effective running game. True the inherent value of a running back in the era of the Pass and Pass Often has decreased. I just fear we are going have moments where its fourth and short and with no faith in the running game, Ray Finkle comes in and misses a 47 yard field goal because the laces were not facing out.

As far as the Offensive line goes sure there are some worries. However, they are not the ones fumbling the ball, auditioning for "Dancing With The Stars" in the backfield, not hitting the hole, going wide when north/south would have had better results. Please tell me how the offensive line is going to hold up when the defense realizes " these guys can't run" and start blitzing like mad.

Hopefully between what BPastermack and VionlentMonk71 have stated, you are a little bit more at ease. The job requirements of the runningback in this offense are scaled back. It makes more sense to beat the Jonathan Martin dead horse at this point.
If 4th and 1 is your scenario of concern, I say we are in good shape. This is one cut and explode

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miller, Thomas, Gray, Gilleslee, and Thigpen are an underwhelming cast on paper. The meme of this forum has been "the RB position doesn't matter" and/or they are "not important" has been blown way too far out of proportion in my opinion. However, there may be some truth in the notion that this particular offense, led by Philbin, puts very little emphasis on the position.

Beyond that, if this group of backs belly flops I will be annoyed beyond measure. Finding a free agent RB that could come in play and was affordable was an EXTREMELY easy task this year and we have left over cap space to boot. In fact, there are still a couple of veteran free agents on the market that appear, on paper, to be an upgrade and not bringing one of them in seems entirely irresponsible, but again, it will depend on Miller.

What this tells me is that the Dolphins have confidence in what they have. I have to believe Miller showed enough last year in practice to warrant this move. Thomas is NFL trash. Why he is still on the team is beyond me. He is one concussion away from "career over". The rest are such unknowns that they can't really be counted on. To me, this was vote of confidence for Miller, plain and simple. But in general, Maddog, I think you concern is warranted.
carlos2104

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamar miller is amazing from an athletic standpoint. I followed him on the Canes and I loved what I saw. However, like many have pointed out, his blocking leaves something to be desired. Teams wont be able to stack the box against us for once so I think he'll shine. As for Thomas......ughh. This is his last chance to prove himself.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Just curious, if these are your concerns, then why would you want Reggie Bush back?
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Just curious, if these are your concerns, then why would you want Reggie Bush back?

Even for all his shortcomings Reggie Bush was a known quantity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I don't know what "known quantity" means. I would have went "known commodity".
And your the one who used Reggie Bush and short yardage concerns in the same argument.

HERE'S THE THING: Let's just say lamar miller does not get any better. Let's say he's the same guy he was last year. Let's say the offensive line upgrades, the passing game upgrades and being in this offense for a 2nd year does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for him to help him improve last year.

So this (aside from injury) is worst case scenario.

Let's also say he gets 15 rushes a game in 2013. Under the scenario where he fails to improve (4.9 ypc), he still has 1176 yarda in 2013. (with 5 TDs) you would take that from Miller. Dude you would take that from Bush.

So no I find no validity in your concerns. You are looking at this from below (non-injury) worst case scenario.

*you could say that I don't know that he'll continue to average 4.9 yards per carry. And my reply would be that you don't know that he won't.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I don't know what "known quantity" means. I would have went "known commodity".
And your the one who used Reggie Bush and short yardage concerns in the same argument.

HERE'S THE THING: Let's just say lamar miller does not get any better. Let's say he's the same guy he was last year. Let's say the offensive line upgrades, the passing game upgrades and being in this offense for a 2nd year does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for him to help him improve last year.

So this (aside from injury) is worst case scenario.

Let's also say he gets 15 rushes a game in 2013. Under the scenario where he fails to improve (4.9 ypc), he still has 1176 yarda in 2013. (with 5 TDs) you would take that from Miller. Dude you would take that from Bush.

So no I find no validity in your concerns. You are looking at this from below (non-injury) worst case scenario.

*you could say that I don't know that he'll continue to average 4.9 yards per carry. And my reply would be that you don't know that he won't.

What if his average goes down to say 4.1 ypc and reaches the end zone 3 times on carries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: